Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ABX Christmas meals

2lowflaps
12-24-2018, 10:21 AM
Greetings All Flight Crews, Crew Schedulers, and NDOís,

For those Flight Crews on R1 duty today and tomorrow, the DHL cafeteria
will be closed from 1330 today, until 2300 Tuesday night. If you need/due
a meal there are 15 frozen meals in the NDO's freezer for the R1 crews on
duty while the cafeteria is closed. The Market place cafť in building 6
will have food available for purchase. Please call the NDO Duty Phone or
me anytime if you need any assistance.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Updated:

All Pilots,

There has been a great deal of confusion regarding meals for the R1 crews on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The confusion stems from me and a lack of communication on my part on Friday.

We will be providing sandwich trays tonight at 2100 and tomorrow at 0200 and 1100. As a backup we will provide frozen meals if necessary. If you have any concerns please contact me directly be phone, email or text. Please accept my apologies for the inadequate communication.

Jurassic Jet
12-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Mmmmmmm sandwiches. I love sandwiches.

Imagine if a real airline like FedEx or Southwest would throw some frozen meals at the crews through a cold letter.

Only from the one and only #teamdavidsoaper

nitefr8dog
12-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Mmmmmmm sandwiches. I love sandwiches.

Imagine if a real airline like FedEx or Southwest would throw some frozen meals at the crews through a cold letter.

Only from the one and only #teamdavidsoaper
But.....the Market Place Cafe (vending machines) will be open! Only ABX would provide frozen macaroni and cheese meals and vending machine sandwiches at Christmas they have deducted 3.00 from your pay if you took a meal in the past..at this point you can't even say unbeliveable!

Tumbl3weed
12-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Where does the embarrassment belong...with the CP that can write such a ridiculous email and actually hit send, or with me for working for a company that treats its employees like crap. (Rhetorical)
Couldnít splurge on a catered meal for the dozen or so employees locked away for Christmas.

maxjet
12-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Where does the embarrassment belong...with the CP that can write such a ridiculous email and actually hit send, or with me for working for a company that treats its employees like crap. (Rhetorical)
Couldnít splurge on a catered meal for the dozen or so employees locked away for Christmas.

For ems, fire, police, hospital workers and airline pilots Christmas is just another day. Do you expect someone else miss Christmas so that they can come and feed you? Quit whining and make your own arrangements for food.

Tumbl3weed
12-24-2018, 11:21 AM
For ems, fire, police, hospital workers and airline pilots Christmas is just another day. Do you expect someone else miss Christmas so that they can come and feed you? Quit whining and make your own arrangements for food.

Wow, you really are a tool

Jurassic Jet
12-24-2018, 11:23 AM

https://i.imgur.com/tyTc1Nl.jpg

Jurassic Jet
12-24-2018, 11:25 AM

And there is this.

nitefr8dog
12-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Or....since the contract says "the company will provide a meal (contents approved by the housing committee) at company expense in the event the cafeteria is not available"...we get vending machine or frozen mac and cheese that they charge you for. Maybe you can see its a sore spot..... and stop being an a$$

motorclutch
12-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Because of lack of nutrition, just call in fatigues. You guys are too stupid to figure it out.

nitefr8dog
12-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Because of lack of nutrition, just call in fatigues. You guys are too stupid to figure it out.
And how many times in R1 did you do that....I am going to guess none.

maxjet
12-24-2018, 03:53 PM

In this case I must be. Perhaps if you came out of your ivory tower long enough to see the people who work for 1/10 your pay and work much harder, on Christmas Day, you might just feel grateful to be where you are. I personally picked up protein bars at the store today just in case nothing near the hotel is open tomorrow.

maxjet
12-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Or....since the contract says "the company will provide a meal (contents approved by the housing committee) at company expense in the event the cafeteria is not available"...we get vending machine or frozen mac and cheese that they charge you for. Maybe you can see its a sore spot..... and stop being an a$$

That is what the grievance process is for. I am very comfortable being an ass in this case because that cafeteria workers Christmas at home trumps your getting a meal that you have to cook yourself. Oh! The horror of having to heat up my own meal so the cafeteria lady can spend the day with her loved ones. All while you make bank on the holiday. Pathetic

captjns
12-24-2018, 04:07 PM
The C/P and D/O all the way up to management are all culpable. They could have all been mensches... A little bit of planning by the above could have avoided this thread.

While no consellation, there’s always Chinese or Indian delivered by Grub Hub or Uber.

WhipWhitaker
12-24-2018, 05:48 PM
That is what the grievance process is for. I am very comfortable being an ass in this case because that cafeteria workers Christmas at home trumps your getting a meal that you have to cook yourself. Oh! The horror of having to heat up my own meal so the cafeteria lady can spend the day with her loved ones. All while you make bank on the holiday. Pathetic

He is not suggesting that the cafeteria lady come in and work Christmas, he is suggesting that the company provide a more nutritious and satisfactory holiday meal for its crews that are stuck working over the holiday. No dog in this fight but Lord you so are dense itís comical.

woog315
12-24-2018, 06:22 PM
The easy solution would just be to say ok we're gonna pay per diem today and you guys can order in dinner from wherever you want (or go get it if youve got a car there), theres no flights anyways. Instead multiple management personnel run around buying probably a dozen frozen meals that no one is going to eat and theres a complete **** show involving multiple emails (why blast all this out to every crewmember? just communicate with the people working R1 christmas day) and 2 dozen whiny crew members for absolutely no reason. If we are required to stay at a building and cant leave and there are no food facilities on site, just pay per diem and let us take care of ourselves like adults. Uber eats exists, and there are plenty of places serving food on christmas. I have never witnessed a place in my entire life that can turn every simple logistics problem into a gigantic cry fest failure.

maxjet
12-24-2018, 06:28 PM
He is not suggesting that the cafeteria lady come in and work Christmas, he is suggesting that the company provide a more nutritious and satisfactory holiday meal for its crews that are stuck working over the holiday. No dog in this fight but Lord you so are dense itís comical.

Not dense at all. For 22 years I was that cop working many of those Christmasí. After my children were older, I volunteered to work for the younger guys and gals. All for a max pay of 63k.
You have no idea how it sickens me to read this complaining. Blame it on management? Ok maybe. Last time I looked this thread came out before Christmas. Are you seriously suggesting that with the available time that arrangements canít be made by calling the company? Staff people are working at my airline.Not theirs? No, it is better to take no action and come on here and try to get people to feel sorry for you. Pathetic

woog315
12-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Not dense at all. For 22 years I was that cop working many of those Christmas’. After my children were older, I volunteered to work for the younger guys and gals. All for a max pay of 63k.
You have no idea how it sickens me to read this complaining. Blame it on management? Ok maybe. Last time I looked this thread came out before Christmas. Are you seriously suggesting that with the available time that arrangements can’t be made by calling the company? Staff people are working at my airline.Not theirs? No, it is better to take no action and come on here and try to get people to feel sorry for you. Pathetic

Dude you dont know who you're dealing with here.

The plot was lost a long, long time ago in a cornfield in Wilmington, OH and there were no outside voices to speak up and say "hey, this is how normal people act" for years and years until 2 years ago when some new people showed up- and we're all just staring at the trainwreck with our mouths hanging open, unsure what to do. It's like stumbling into a tribe in the Amazon (pun intended) rainforest that hasn't had human contact for 50 years. Without a genuinely radical overhaul on both sides of the table, ABX is probably doomed

freighthound
12-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Dude you dont know who you're dealing with here.

The plot was lost a long, long time ago in a cornfield in Wilmington, OH and there were no outside voices to speak up and say "hey, this is how normal people act" for years and years until 2 years ago when some new people showed up- and we're all just staring at the trainwreck with our mouths hanging open, unsure what to do. It's like stumbling into a tribe in the Amazon (pun intended) rainforest that hasn't had human contact for 50 years. Without a genuinely radical overhaul on both sides of the table, ABX is probably doomed

So now you want to declare war on your fellow crew members too. Nothing like calling your co-workers a bunch of idiots all the while touting how sophisticated you are. Get over yourself.

727CA
12-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Remember ABX is in business to make money, not to provide you snowflakes a job. Sweet jesus spend 10 bucks and get a meal and quit whining.

woog315
12-24-2018, 10:47 PM
So now you want to declare war on your fellow crew members too. Nothing like calling your co-workers a bunch of idiots all the while touting how sophisticated you are. Get over yourself.

That's a bizarre way to interpret my comment... All I'm saying is this place hasn't had a fresh set of eyes in a long time and to most outsiders it looks like two sides that have been fighting for so long that they no longer see straight and have forgotten how to function "normally" as a company.

Just look at the cargo subforum- it's like 75% ABX kicking and screaming. Has it even registered that random people wander into our threads all the time (why the hell do we start a new thread every time anything happens?) and basically say "what is the deal with all the babies around here? How spoiled are you guys?" We're a 200 pilot airline- we barely even register as existing, yet by the noise we make you'd think we're 10x the size. Your reply is kind of indicative of exactly what im talking about, and its always high drama around here with near zero self-reflection. Just lash out at anyone critical of anything except "management". "Declare war" on my fellow crewmembers, lol. As individuals, I've not found a single person here I didn't enjoy working with- including support staff. Lots of experienced and intelligent people at every level of the company. It's the culture that is broken and that's hard to fix, it's not any one person's fault, and its hard for the people that have been bogged down in it for decades to even perceive how odd it all is because it's all they know. That's all. In my opinion, it's going to take a lot less finger pointing and a lot more give and take to keep this place going and growing. I'm hardly alone in thinking we're on the wrong track

freighthound
12-24-2018, 10:54 PM
That's a bizarre way to interpret my comment... All I'm saying is this place hasn't had a fresh set of eyes in a long time and to most outsiders it looks like two sides that have been fighting for so long that they no longer see straight and have forgotten how to function "normally" as a company.

Just look at the cargo subforum- it's like 75% ABX kicking and screaming. Has it even registered that random people wander into our threads all the time (why the hell do we start a new thread every time anything happens?) and basically say "what is the deal with all the babies around here? How spoiled are you guys?" We're a 200 pilot airline- we barely even register as existing, yet by the noise we make you'd think we're 10x the size. Your reply is kind of indicative of exactly what im talking about, and its always high drama around here with near zero self-reflection. Just lash out at anyone critical of anything except "management". "Declare war" on my fellow crewmembers, lol. As individuals, I've not found a single person here I didn't enjoy working with- including support staff. Lots of experienced and intelligent people at every level of the company. It's the culture that is broken and that's hard to fix, it's not any one person's fault, and its hard for the people that have been bogged down in it for decades to even perceive how odd it all is because it's all they know. That's all. In my opinion, it's going to take a lot less finger pointing and a lot more give and take to keep this place going and growing. I'm hardly alone in thinking we're on the wrong track

Well said. I apologize for not being smart enough to understand what you were saying. Too much egg nog with the late night gift wrapping probably didnít help. Have a Merry Christmas!

woog315
12-24-2018, 11:11 PM
Well said. I apologize for not being smart enough to understand what you were saying. Too much egg nog with the late night gift wrapping probably didnít help. Have a Merry Christmas!

I was trying too hard to be funny and sarcastic in how I said it originally. Merry Christmas :)

nitefr8dog
12-25-2018, 04:29 AM
Not dense at all. For 22 years I was that cop working many of those Christmasí. After my children were older, I volunteered to work for the younger guys and gals. All for a max pay of 63k.
You have no idea how it sickens me to read this complaining. Blame it on management? Ok maybe. Last time I looked this thread came out before Christmas. Are you seriously suggesting that with the available time that arrangements canít be made by calling the company? Staff people are working at my airline.Not theirs? No, it is better to take no action and come on here and try to get people to feel sorry for you. Pathetic
As usual you totally missed the point....the crews have already paid for the meals in the form of a contract agreed upon meal provided at the company's expense when preforming an on premise duty and the cafeteria is not open. So to go and buy a meal a second time...as all negotiated contract items already come at a price, starts to wear on you. Of course everyone will bring something with them to eat..again not the point. How many catered flights would depart without food on a 10 or 12 hr duty day that you work on? As far as the grievance process, boy nothing gets by you...this is the RLA we operate under is it not? At the last crew meal grievance our DO stated to the mediator " we believe we are in compliance with the contract because...there is a cafeteria available its just not open" that was with a straight face. You can't make this stuff up. That is the point. And second...nobody give 2 $h!ts what you did in your previous life or how sick reading this makes you. I hope you puke on your shirt while you walk through the mall in your uniform and tell everyone you used to be a cop. You are still a horsesa$$.

Makinitup
12-25-2018, 04:38 AM
This is the problem with our country now. Instead of taking care of yourself, and helping others, you want someone else to provide for everything and then when they do itís never enough. I do agree this isnít much but being an adult I know how to and would take care of myself if I was doing R1 today. Instead of complaining on here why donít some of those sitting at home or in their crash pad near CVG get with others and prepare a meal then go to bldg 6 and celebrate Christmas and share an hour with the poor starving R1 crews. Nothing to cry about then. Show the company what compassion looks like instead of demanding it from them and faking offense. Merry Christmas.

freighthound
12-25-2018, 04:55 AM
This is the problem with our country now. Instead of taking care of yourself, and helping others, you want someone else to provide for everything and then when they do itís never enough. I do agree this isnít much but being an adult I know how to and would take care of myself if I was doing R1 today. Instead of complaining on here why donít some of those sitting at home or in their crash pad near CVG get with others and prepare a meal then go to bldg 6 and celebrate Christmas and share an hour with the poor starving R1 crews. Nothing to cry about then. Show the company what compassion looks like instead of demanding it from them and faking offense. Merry Christmas.

Doing R1 is no different than going on a flight. You are confined to a limited area with no access to food for 10-12 hours. If you also think that no flight out of CVG should be catered and that the pilots should all bring their own food, then you are consistent. If not then you argument is nothing more than an attack on fellow pilots, a trait way too common on these threads and is most distasteful.

Makinitup
12-25-2018, 05:25 AM
Doing R1 is no different than going on a flight. You are confined to a limited area with no access to food for 10-12 hours. If you also think that no flight out of CVG should be catered and that the pilots should all bring their own food, then you are consistent. If not then you argument is nothing more than an attack on fellow pilots, a trait way too common on these threads and is most distasteful.
For over 20 years, that Iíve been here, the company hasnít provided catering for us. I either eat before flight or ensure I have something in my backpack to get me through. Donít want them or need them to provide for me. Besides how much are we to give up in our next contract for a ham and cheese sandwich. Regardless of how inadequate it still costs and the company isnít going to do it out of love for us. Nor would we do anything for them out of love.

nitefr8dog
12-25-2018, 05:51 AM
For over 20 years, that Iíve been here, the company hasnít provided catering for us. I either eat before flight or ensure I have something in my backpack to get me through. Donít want them or need them to provide for me. Besides how much are we to give up in our next contract for a ham and cheese sandwich. Regardless of how inadequate it still costs and the company isnít going to do it out of love for us. Nor would we do anything for them out of love.
I did not see anywhere that someone was complaining about catering....this was about R1 meals which are already addressed in the current contract when the cafeteria is closed. Everyone has their own solution figuring the company will ignore the contract...not the point of this whole thread. You mention "next" contract...now that is funny.

Makinitup
12-25-2018, 07:50 AM
I did not see anywhere that someone was complaining about catering....this was about R1 meals which are already addressed in the current contract when the cafeteria is closed. Everyone has their own solution figuring the company will ignore the contract...not the point of this whole thread. You mention "next" contract...now that is funny.

Come on now it was in direct response to the person I quoted. As to the ďnextĒ contract sure there will be one or there wont be an ABX anymore. Even you sounded more positive that that in other recent posts of yours.

Windshear
12-25-2018, 08:19 AM
I bet all the ASTAR pilots are remembering 2009, and enjoying a good laugh at this thread. Merry Christmas!

maxjet
12-25-2018, 08:58 AM
As usual you totally missed the point....the crews have already paid for the meals in the form of a contract agreed upon meal provided at the company's expense when preforming an on premise duty and the cafeteria is not open. So to go and buy a meal a second time...as all negotiated contract items already come at a price, starts to wear on you. Of course everyone will bring something with them to eat..again not the point. How many catered flights would depart without food on a 10 or 12 hr duty day that you work on? As far as the grievance process, boy nothing gets by you...this is the RLA we operate under is it not? At the last crew meal grievance our DO stated to the mediator " we believe we are in compliance with the contract because...there is a cafeteria available its just not open" that was with a straight face. You can't make this stuff up. That is the point. And second...nobody give 2 $h!ts what you did in your previous life or how sick reading this makes you. I hope you puke on your shirt while you walk through the mall in your uniform and tell everyone you used to be a cop. You are still a horsesa$$.

Blah, blah, blah.... I guess I must just be used to working in an environment of cooperation where mature adults work together for a common goal. BTW twice this month hot meals failed to arrive on my flights out of Ontario. No advanced notice 3 or 4 days out like you had. No frozen meals provided. Guess what we did? We called the company and worked it out. I had some protein bars the one day and a UPS aircraft next to us had some extra grub, the other day. We made it work. Guess what? We didnít just roll over for an ontime departure, no, they gave us Connie meals for our trouble. So I go home with 150.00 in Connie meals (one for Christmas) to enjoy with my loved ones. Thatís what happens at a company looked down upon by the likes of you for being a bottom feeder. I would wish you a Merry Christmas but I do honestly believe that you are incapable of having one.

sherpster
12-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Every time i did R1 i just left, worked out at crunch fitness and then ate a decent meal. Then again I didnt care if ops called (they never did), that r1 for 12 hrs was a Joke

motorclutch
12-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Sherp.... we are both ex military. We learned to overcome and conquer. These snowflakes need serious gyno work!

nitefr8dog
12-25-2018, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Windshear;2731180]I bet all the ASTAR pilots are remembering 2009, and enjoying a good laugh at this thread.

Are there any left? The reports from the field were pretty grim for awhile.

nitefr8dog
12-25-2018, 11:47 AM
Sherp.... we are both ex military. We learned to overcome and conquer. These snowflakes need serious gyno work!
You whined and [email protected]#ed more than anyone!

nitefr8dog
12-25-2018, 11:52 AM
So....taking care of yourself like if the company reduced your contract agreed upon per diem by 20$ a day you would just eat less? My ass you would bi!ch, whine and file grievances just like everyone else!

nitefr8dog
12-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Come on now it was in direct response to the person I quoted. As to the ďnextĒ contract sure there will be one or there wont be an ABX anymore. Even you sounded more positive that that in other recent posts of yours.
Direct response? He was not complaining about catering....he was using catering for an example as I did. The thread is about no contract approved crew meals when on premise reserve and no cafeteria open. Is it that difficult to understand the thread? Come on now....
And I do not think there ever will be another contract or an ABX anymore.
My responses have been to posts stating things not true at ABX. Is it a dumpster fire run by incompetent idiots? Yes. Can you still make good money and not get pushed around until the doors are chained shut and everyone goes to Omni or ATI , retires or UPS as of late? Yes

Makinitup
12-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Direct response? Is it a dumpster fire run by incompetent idiots? Yes.
This is true for some but I no longer fly with you.

nitefr8dog
12-25-2018, 02:58 PM
This is true for some but I no longer fly with you.
That's all you got?
Hopefully we never did....also I don't run the place.

midnightshuttle
12-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Fatigue

The verbal F-Bomb of aviation, for when conventional warfare fails and you need to go nuke on some @$$