Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Skywest or Endeavor

Steelship123
12-28-2018, 08:40 AM
For a pilot living in MSP, is the pay cut worth not commuting to New York by going to skywest? How are things here now with the new contract? How likely will I even get MSP right out of training? Also, what can I expect for takehome pay per paycheck 1st year, and what are the profit sharing checks like?

jpso
12-28-2018, 01:24 PM
For a pilot living in MSP, is the pay cut worth not commuting to New York by going to skywest? How are things here now with the new contract? How likely will I even get MSP right out of training? Also, what can I expect for takehome pay per paycheck 1st year, and what are the profit sharing checks like?

That's a question only you can answer. I would never commute to reserve for a regional. MSP would likely be awarded during training. If you've been at Endeavor for a year, you will start at $50/hr under the soft landings program so your pay might be about the same. Otherwise under $45/hr, without medical/dental I would figure $1300-1500 per check after tax.

Gone Flying
12-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Ill answer the second half of your question. SKW does not have a contract since we have no union. MSP is probably attainable in the first 6 months.( 2 of these you will be in SLC anyway) jr pilot now in MSP was hired in October. paycheck will be 65x$45 while in training and 75x$45 after your sim check-ride. 401K match starts after year 1. during year 1 you are eligible for pilot profit sharing based on how much you credit and how much credit across the company. this is paid every march and September. I would guess 1400-1800 each check as an fo. after year 1 you are eligible for performance based rewards paid every quarter(aprox $250-$300, everyone in the company gets the same amount). after 2 years at the company you are eligible for financial rewards (based on SKW profit margin) I am told by those who are eligible for all the bonuses after 2 years they add about $10k to annual earnings for a captain.

UnderCenter
12-28-2018, 03:49 PM
SKW does not have a contract since we have no union.

You donít need a union in order to enter a legally binding contract. People do it everyday. The RLA doesnít make unions exclusive when it comes to employee representation. FWIW Iím pro union, but the falsehood that is spread that you canít have a contract without a union gets old.

Now, whether you can actually enforce the contract without a union is a whole different story...

amcnd
12-28-2018, 04:09 PM
If you want on ASAP and MSP. SkyWest. If you can wait tell late 2019 early 202 and maybe not MSP right away. Then Endeavor.. also depends on your end goal? MSP is also a Jr Captain base for SkyWest.. not sure that true for Endeavor.

TimetoClimb
12-29-2018, 04:56 AM
If you want on ASAP and MSP. SkyWest. If you can wait tell late 2019 early 202 and maybe not MSP right away. Then Endeavor.. also depends on your end goal? MSP is also a Jr Captain base for SkyWest.. not sure that true for Endeavor.

I've heard only the likes of NYC is attainable at 9E for captains

ReadyRsv
12-29-2018, 05:24 AM
You donít need a union in order to enter a legally binding contract. People do it everyday. The RLA doesnít make unions exclusive when it comes to employee representation. FWIW Iím pro union, but the falsehood that is spread that you canít have a contract without a union gets old.

Now, whether you can actually enforce the contract without a union is a whole different story...

While this is all true the SkyWest agreement specifically states that it is NOT a contract.

flydiamond
12-29-2018, 05:39 AM
I've heard only the likes of NYC is attainable at 9E for captains

Atl and dtw are also attainable inside 2.5 years but a hub to hub commute is killer. Endeavor is a great choice for those who already have to commute, eg from Cleveland or Boston but I wouldnít recommend commuting from a place that is a crew base for a decent regional.

UnderCenter
12-29-2018, 05:45 AM
While this is all true the SkyWest agreement specifically states that it is NOT a contract.

This is not true. It doesnít say anywhere in the LOA to the PPM that it isnít a contract. It does say that any amendment to pay, per diem, or any policy must be agreed to by both the company and all representative parties before implementation. I would like you to post the exact wording where it says specifically that the PPM is NOT a contract. (gonna be hard because 1. It isnít in there and 2. You donít even work here).

Check Complete
12-29-2018, 01:12 PM
This is not true. It doesn’t say anywhere in the LOA to the PPM that it isn’t a contract. It does say that any amendment to pay, per diem, or any policy must be agreed to by both the company and all representative parties before implementation. I would like you to post the exact wording where it says specifically that the PPM is NOT a contract. (gonna be hard because 1. It isn’t in there and 2. You don’t even work here).

For what it's worth, yes, it's a contract. But by wording only. This is as false of advertising as it gets. Where it says any change has to be agreed to by the company and the representative parties is a total wash! it's the same group, management and the SAPA pres get the same pay check. If management wants something they turn too their payed pilot representatives and tell them to approve it. RJ folds like a cheap tent so he can keep his salaries to not work. On top of most of the PPM wording is so ambiguous and vague that it's well open to interpretation and guess who wins that argument? NOT YOU!

Our last TA is an absolute abortion, but on paper it looks good, and who sells it to the pilot group- your SAPA EB!

There is absolutely no legal representation for disputes between a pilot and the company, you are on your own. You can have a rep with you if you get called into a CP office but they a forbidden to speak. The last 5 terminations had a review committee to reinstate their employment. Nope, that was overridden by the VP and still fired.

Ya, we have a "contract" but it might as well be printed on Charmin!

So if you want a real, yes a real at arms length contract, up held for your interests then go to Endeavor. If you're perfect and never make a mistake, can deep throat koolaid, don't mind snap policy interpretations, SkyWest is for you.

domino
12-29-2018, 04:02 PM
This is not true. It doesnít say anywhere in the LOA to the PPM that it isnít a contract. It does say that any amendment to pay, per diem, or any policy must be agreed to by both the company and all representative parties before implementation. I would like you to post the exact wording where it says specifically that the PPM is NOT a contract. (gonna be hard because 1. It isnít in there and 2. You donít even work here).

Both parties. Management and SAPA. SAPA is management, just in the disguise of a representative body. Therefore management is signing a document with an arm of itself which by definition, is not a contract. More like an instruction manual. When they need to alter the manual, they inform SAPA and SAPA has to agree eventually.

amcnd
12-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Again. If a union is that important for you co to Endeavor. Someone that gets into class a few weeks earlyer will thank you.. go somewhere that you can look back after you leave and say you in joyed youíre time there and made friends.. Good luck.

wrxpilot
12-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Go where you can drive to work. Commuting at a regional absolutely sucks. Driving to work at a regional is a pretty easy gig, and you will be MUCH happier.

trip
12-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Again. If a union is that important for you co to Endeavor. Someone that gets into class a few weeks earlyer will thank you.. go somewhere that you can look back after you leave and say you in joyed youíre time there and made friends.. Good luck.

Unfortunately this attitude prevails around here, "if you don't like it go somewhere else".

amcnd
12-29-2018, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately this attitude prevails around here, "if you don't like it go somewhere else".

More of plenty of options out there... unlike years ago.. less ďattitudeĒ. This is unprecedented times. Not many bad decisions on airlines like there was 20+ years ago..

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1