Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Ion-propelled planes are here!

SonicFlyer
12-30-2018, 08:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IorDYGI1uqc

rickair7777
12-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Plasma thrust is great for (unmanned) spacecraft which are in no hurry to get there...

Typically very, very low thrust but extremely high specific impulse so over days, weeks, months, years, you can get a very, very large velocity change out out of a very, very minuscule amount of fuel.

I'm frankly very surprised that they've built a thruster which has both enough thrust to move an aircraft against drag and is still light enough to be carried by said aircraft. If you asked me yesterday I would have said it was technically impossible. Impressive.

RI830
12-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Fanscinating indeed! But will it fly on a treadmill?!?!

SonicFlyer
12-30-2018, 12:21 PM
If you asked me yesterday I would have said it was technically impossible. Impressive.
Yep... now that the concept is proven it's simply a matter of increasing efficiency and scaleability.

rickair7777
12-30-2018, 01:27 PM
Yep... now that the concept is proven it's simply a matter of increasing efficiency and scaleability.

I am however pretty confident that it's a long way off to power big jets... 2-3 orders of magnitude.

GuardPolice
12-30-2018, 05:26 PM
I guess we should keep an “eye on” on this technology. [emoji2957]