Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Short Call Reserve questions

Flyby1206
01-01-2019, 04:47 PM
How does your airline handle Day 1 of Reserve on Short Call? What is the earliest they would put your on a RAP? How are you notified of the RAP start times? Are all RAPs equal length, or do you also get notified of the RAP end time?

Hossharris
01-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Delta:

Day 1 can start as early as 10am, as long as itís on your schedule by 3pm day prior. Otherwise earliest start is noon.

Short calls are all 9hrs long (used to be 12). You can be released early at scheduler discretion.

Flyby1206
01-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Delta:

Day 1 can start as early as 10am, as long as itís on your schedule by 3pm day prior. Otherwise earliest start is noon.

Short calls are all 9hrs long (used to be 12). You can be released early at scheduler discretion.

Can they release you early in order to put you on early the next day? Day 1 1000-1900, but call you at 1700 to release and given an early AM next day short call?

viper548
01-01-2019, 05:57 PM
American: There is a bid for RAP start times. Whatever you are awarded on that bid is your RAP start time for your first day of reserve the following month.

Flyby1206
01-01-2019, 05:58 PM
American: There is a bid for RAP start times. Whatever you are awarded on that bid is your RAP start time for your first day of reserve the following month.

So your RAP time would be the same for every day of the month?

nimslow
01-01-2019, 06:00 PM

Nothing like being junior, and having an 03:00 RAP on day one. I screwed up my bid next month and I'm back on short call. I bid all the later RAP's, and ended up with 08:00, so commuting in the night before, again..

viper548
01-01-2019, 06:03 PM
So your RAP time would be the same for every day of the month?
It's the same for the first day of each reserve block. Depending on your RAP they may change it from day to day. For instance if you're on a 1700 RAP on day 1, day 2 may be 1500, Day 3 1200, day 4 0900. We have RAP shifting limits, the most they can shift a RAP from day to day is 5 hours.

viper548
01-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Nothing like being junior, and having an 03:00 RAP on day one. I screwed up my bid next month and I'm back on short call. I bid all the later RAP's, and ended up with 08:00, so commuting in the night before, again..

You may want to try proffer volunteer request and try and get a later RAP. You may end up with earlier than 0800, but if you're coming in the night before anyways it's probably worth the gamble.

Hossharris
01-02-2019, 05:51 AM
If youíre coming up the night before you might as well start early (and be done early)

Hossharris
01-02-2019, 05:53 AM
Can they release you early in order to put you on early the next day? Day 1 1000-1900, but call you at 1700 to release and given an early AM next day short call?

They certainly could .... but in practice I havent seen it. Early releases are usually at the pilots request (to catch commute home for example)

Flyby1206
01-02-2019, 06:13 AM
Does the airline have problems staffing early AM trips because everyone starts 10am or later on Day 1?

ChecklistMonkey
01-02-2019, 06:30 AM

So, all your reserve blocks are automatically short call?

Ducttape
01-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Spirit

Short call reserve is RAPs like Delta, varies by base..usually R3, R5, R11, R19 etc...

Scheduling can convert a long call to short call for 4 RAPs a month (4 days total), paying the pilot 1 hours pay each day above guarantee. After that, its pilots decision to allow a conversion to short at 2 hours pay each day above guarantee.

All RAPs are 14 hours, with the last day being early released 6 hours prior without scheduling consent.

viper548
01-02-2019, 07:57 AM
So, all your reserve blocks are automatically short call?

We bid for long call or short call during the normal monthly bidding. If you get LC for the month you can be transitioned to SC up to 5 times in a month, but they have to give you an extra 30min each time.

m3113n1a1
01-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Haven't been on reserve for a while, so correct me if I'm wrong.

All DAL reserve is long call (12hr call-out). They can convert you to short call on individual days. The earliest short call you can get on your first day is 10am. The max amount of short call days you can get varies per month but I think is usually about 5-6 days. Depending on how things shake out, some months you won't have to do short call at all, and others you'll do it up to the max.

sailingfun
01-02-2019, 10:42 AM
Does the airline have problems staffing early AM trips because everyone starts 10am or later on Day 1?

It depends on when the need to cover the trip becomes known. If greater than 12 hours prior no issue since a long call pilot is used. Early departures that are less than 12 hours to report often end up covered as overtime 2X trips.

nuball5
01-02-2019, 11:43 AM
It depends on when the need to cover the trip becomes known. If greater than 12 hours prior no issue since a long call pilot is used. Early departures that are less than 12 hours to report often end up covered as overtime 2X trips.

This is where Jetblue screwed up. They had the 10am or later short call and the LC/SC reserve system on different implementation timeline dates with the new CBA. Should have been activated together. I've heard they've actually admitted this mistake.

hilltopflyer
01-02-2019, 12:44 PM
This is where Jetblue screwed up. They had the 10am or later short call and the LC/SC reserve system on different implementation timeline dates with the new CBA. Should have been activated together. I've heard they've actually admitted this mistake.

Well if they hired enough it wouldnít matter.

full of luv
01-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Everyone's Day 1 is different..... It's day one of a block of on call days, bid through PBS and modified after schedules come out if the pilot chooses, but generally 3 in a row on call days domestic/ 4 in a row on call days international.

flensr
01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
SWA is short call only.

Typically there are "AM" and "PM" RAPs, set prior to the schedule bid. You bid for your schedule the month prior and when it's awarded you know what you've got. "PM" reserve is typically something like 11am - 1am (14 hrs) where you have to answer your phone anytime in that window.

First day, you need to be available to pick up your phone the instant your RAP starts and be at the airport within 2 hours of the call. Last day, you can self-release 7 hours after the start of the RAP. There are circumstances like getting called out to fly but then the flight is cancelled where you can get stuck for longer, but it's basically 7 hours from the beginning of the RAP or 7 hrs after the report time on the last day, whichever is later.

Once the company gives you a trip, they can pretty much do whatever they want with you (change PM to AM, etc). There are supposed to be protections but the company may or may not flip your schedule, re-route you, or JA you anyhow. I'm new, I don't know why or how or when they can do this, only that they seem to be able to do it sometimes.

Basic reserve pay is 6 TFP and if we get assigned the trip will be worth a minimum of 6.5. Re-routes that extend the assigned trip may pay premium for the additional flying but I haven't cracked the code yet on when that actually applies.

Some companies release you to rest once you have an assigned trip, but SWA does not. For example, at company Y, if you get assigned a trip the day before your first RAP even starts, you no longer have to answer your phone for assignment until report time. You simply show up at report time for the assigned trip. With SWA, it is common to have a 11am RAP start and get assigned a trip with a 7pm report time, but you still have to be available to answer the phone at 11am for a theoretical 2-hour callout. That is absolutely horrible for fatigue management but SWA mgt doesn't care, preferring to have to deal with a handful of fatigue callouts and tired pilots flying around vs. the theoretical benefit of being able to endlessly re-assign different trips to a reserve pilot who has already gotten an assignment.

Mostly that sucks for commuters, because in order for commuter policy protections to be in place, the commute flight has to arrive 1 hour prior to the RAP or report time. So a commuting SWA reserve pilot with RAP that starts at 11am and with a 7pm report for his assigned trip still has to commute into base prior to 10am and then sit around for 9 hours before his actual report time. There is nothing safe about this but that's what the SWA do.

tennisguru
01-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Yes, Iíve had them cut me loose early both to start an early shortcall the next day and once because I had been assigned a trip early the next morning and was essentially useless at that point without being illegal for the trip.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1