Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : How upgrading works

planesense
01-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Noob question here... Let's say an FO who is higher than me on the seniority list is based at ORD, and I'm based at LGA. It seems evident that FO's move up the list a little faster at LGA, and ORD is a very senior captain base. Under these circumstances, is it possible that I would upgrade sooner than the ORD guy/girl, assuming he/she is not interested in bidding for CA at LGA?

Captain Slow
01-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Noob question here... Let's say an FO who is higher than me on the seniority list is based at ORD, and I'm based at LGA. It seems evident that FO's move up the list a little faster at LGA, and ORD is a very senior captain base. Under these circumstances, is it possible that I would upgrade sooner than the ORD guy/girl, assuming he/she is not interested in bidding for CA at LGA?

Yes, that said if they suddenly decided to upgrade after you did, youd get pushed down the list in LGA a spot.

No FO in ORD has become an ORD CA for a couple years now.... so most ORD FOs that want to upgrade go to other bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

planesense
01-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Yes, that said if they suddenly decided to upgrade after you did, youd get pushed down the list in LGA a spot.

No FO in ORD has become an ORD CA for a couple years now.... so most ORD FOs that want to upgrade go to other bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks for such a great explanation.

Viking6
01-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Thats correct, and some FOs will wait until they can hold their base. Also some will wait to hold a line or maybe other QOL issues. LGA is normally very junior for captains.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1