Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Losing Delta Flying

Flyjay342
01-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Did anyone else see the video of Ed Bastian basically confirming Compass and GoJet will no longer be flying for Delta. I saw it posted to a FB group today, via youtube.

https://youtu.be/4s8x65QfE0c

JSDL
01-04-2019, 01:59 PM
You are late to the party. Follow along in the other thread.

LadyJustice
01-27-2019, 06:54 PM
I was talking to a high level Delta Corporate guy yesterday and asked about the 3 regional plan.

He said that the last deal with Compass was just a 2 year deal that they did because Skywest could not handle all the flying that they wanted to give to Skywest at the time. I guess Skywest was already getting a bunch of 175s for them at the time and could not add pilots fast enough to take on more flying.

He said that Skywest moved a bunch of planes east and they gave Compass the west coast flying that Compass has there now. But, when that 2 year contract ends he said that Skywest will be moving back west. I wanted to ask if Skywest was moving the east coast stuff back west or adding new west coast flying, but he was on a roll and I didn't want to slow him down. I'm guessing he meant new west coast flying and he didn't phrase it correctly. Anyone have info on this? He talked faster than I could keep up.

He mentioned that Delta is very concerned with working with TSH because of lawsuits by employees against them for terminating employees taking FMLA and firing protected Guard or Reservists. "The last thing we need is to hear about how are regionals are taking health insurance away from people with cancer to save money or reservists who are fighting for the country." I thought that was interesting. He mentioned the Dr being dragged off of Republic on a United flight was very bad for United.

So is all the Compass flying going to go to American? Maybe United would like those 170s flying for them? Any chance of flying for Alaska? They won't close will they?

AirBat
01-28-2019, 12:04 AM
Thatís not... the last deal with Delta was not a 2 year deal. Iíll just leave it at that.

C37AFE
01-28-2019, 03:00 AM
I was talking to a high level Delta Corporate guy yesterday and asked about the 3 regional plan.

He said that the last deal with Compass was just a 2 year deal that they did because Skywest could not handle all the flying that they wanted to give to Skywest at the time. I guess Skywest was already getting a bunch of 175s for them at the time and could not add pilots fast enough to take on more flying.

He said that Skywest moved a bunch of planes east and they gave Compass the west coast flying that Compass has there now. But, when that 2 year contract ends he said that Skywest will be moving back west. I wanted to ask if Skywest was moving the east coast stuff back west or adding new west coast flying, but he was on a roll and I didn't want to slow him down. I'm guessing he meant new west coast flying and he didn't phrase it correctly. Anyone have info on this? He talked faster than I could keep up.

He mentioned that Delta is very concerned with working with TSH because of lawsuits by employees against them for terminating employees taking FMLA and firing protected Guard or Reservists. "The last thing we need is to hear about how are regionals are taking health insurance away from people with cancer to save money or reservists who are fighting for the country." I thought that was interesting. He mentioned the Dr being dragged off of Republic on a United flight was very bad for United.

So is all the Compass flying going to go to American? Maybe United would like those 170s flying for them? Any chance of flying for Alaska? They won't close will they?

Delta CEO said in an invested meeting last month they are done with both gojet and compass. They are consolidating their regionals to endeavor, Skywest and republic. American has been bringing all their flying back in house to their woís United already has to rid itself of 25 crjís for scope so doubt they will be adding compass flying. Donít see Alaska adding a regional under them

gojo
01-28-2019, 03:39 AM
Delta CEO said in an invested meeting last month they are done with both gojet and compass. They are consolidating their regionals to endeavor, Skywest and republic. American has been bringing all their flying back in house to their woís United already has to rid itself of 25 crjís for scope so doubt they will be adding compass flying. Donít see Alaska adding a regional under them

I donít think that the working relationship is very good between Delta and TSH.

FlyingKat
01-28-2019, 09:59 AM
I donít think that the working relationship is very good between Delta and TSH.

I don't think TSH management has a good relationship with anybody right now. I think its probable the Delta Compass airplanes still end up at Republic, the Delta Gojet planes at Endeavor, the United Gojet planes get parked, and the TSA 145s end up at as part of the new UAL joint venture. Hopefully with the pilots but we'll see....

C37AFE
01-28-2019, 02:09 PM
I don't think TSH management has a good relationship with anybody right now. I think its probable the Delta Compass airplanes still end up at Republic, the Delta Gojet planes at Endeavor, the United Gojet planes get parked, and the TSA 145s end up at as part of the new UAL joint venture. Hopefully with the pilots but we'll see....

Thatís what my crystal ball says with American taking their flying from compass as well

Sperrysan
01-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Did anyone else see the video of Ed Bastian basically confirming Compass and GoJet will no longer be flying for Delta. I saw it posted to a FB group today, via youtube.

https://youtu.be/4s8x65QfE0c
Dead link btw

amcnd
01-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Dead link btw

Im sure they took it down because its not public yet... SEC could have a issue with people buying selling stock based off of that videos info...(thats only Republic. Becythe other two are private companies).

Guess what im saying is they could have announced a extension to the Compass contract and snuffed out what he said.. but they didnít (September itís up) either way will know soon..

poorflyer
01-28-2019, 04:56 PM
You guys are such bummers. What will constantly posting this stuff change?

Excargodog
01-28-2019, 05:33 PM
You guys are such bummers. What will constantly posting this stuff change?

Well, the only good thing about pessimists is that that all their surprises are pleasant ones.

Guys, it is what it is. People bid for contracts. Sometimes they get them, sometimes they don’t. When the contract is coming to the end of its term, sometimes it’s renewed and sometimes it isn’t.

Whatever the result, it isn’t going to be the end of the world for anyone. Rarely in the past two decades have the opportunities for airline pilots been this good. And given age-related retirements at the majors, they are only going to get better.

Management has far more to lose than the pilots do if these contracts aren’t renewed or replaced. You have to believe they are aggressively working the issue.

TillerTemptress
01-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Im sure they took it down because its not public yet... SEC could have a issue with people buying selling stock based off of that videos info...(thats only Republic. Becythe other two are private companies).

Guess what im saying is they could have announced a extension to the Compass contract and snuffed out what he said.. but they didnít (September itís up) either way will know soon..

It's not up in September LOL. :D much much much later than that. Love all these people posting here like they know something, and then giving away little nuggets of info showing they have no clue what's happening.

TillerThriller
01-28-2019, 07:52 PM
Do they even work for Compass or just posting doom and gloom from other airlines?

NeverFlexTO
01-28-2019, 08:14 PM

Have you seen the video? Or is this heresay, because thatís not at all what he said, he eluded to things but didnít come out and say these are done deals...also things change on a daily basis in the regional industry. Flew RJs for 11 years, saw it all, just when you think you know, things change with the snap of a finger. I watched a company hire 250 pilots for 25 airplanes and after airplane #10 showed the other 15 went somewhere else...deals will be struck if it makes economical and business sense, not what you, me or any other pilot thinks what will happen...we are all pawns

ELAC321
01-28-2019, 08:53 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/2saf17.jpg

Don't stress guys you probably wouldn't miss a paycheck. Honestly it would benefit a lot of guys in this hiring environment. Major carriers would snatch up any clean ALPA pilot on the street very quickly.

poorflyer
01-28-2019, 08:59 PM

Don't stress guys you probably wouldn't miss a paycheck. Honestly it would benefit a lot of guys in this hiring environment. Major carriers would snatch up any clean ALPA pilot on the street very quickly.

Now memes, I can get behind that.

VIRotate
01-28-2019, 10:35 PM

Actually he didnít say that all. Just named the 3 regionals that he would like to see doing the Delta flying. Could this be in 6 months? Sure. Could this be in 6 years? Sure.

gojo
01-29-2019, 01:18 AM
It's not up in September LOL. :D much much much later than that. Love all these people posting here like they know something, and then giving away little nuggets of info showing they have no clue what's happening.

Youíre just as bad as the people youíre speaking of. If you know when the CPA term ends why not just say it? Instead you have to play these little games. Wtf is wrong with you?

mpet
01-29-2019, 02:23 AM
Youíre just as bad as the people youíre speaking of. If you know when the CPA term ends why not just say it? Instead you have to play these little games. Wtf is wrong with you?

July 2020, but shouldn't a wanna be airline tycoon like you know that already? Go back to aerobiz

ninerdriver
01-29-2019, 04:39 AM

OMG! OO pilots are so cuuuuuute

VIRotate
01-29-2019, 04:45 AM

It's up sometime in 2020.

FlyingKat
01-29-2019, 05:22 AM
Actually he didnít say that all. Just named the 3 regionals that he would like to see doing the Delta flying. Could this be in 6 months? Sure. Could this be in 6 years? Sure.

Actually there wasn't any ambiguity about it, and he said small operations like Gojet (the question was in reference to Gojet) would be gone in 12 to 24 months, which gets you to either 2019 or 2020.

Now things always are subject to change, but it was a pretty definite statement and was supposed to be "among friends" and stay in the room.

FlyingKat
01-29-2019, 05:40 AM
Have you seen the video? Or is this heresay, because thatís not at all what he said, he eluded to things but didnít come out and say these are done deals...also things change on a daily basis in the regional industry. Flew RJs for 11 years, saw it all, just when you think you know, things change with the snap of a finger. I watched a company hire 250 pilots for 25 airplanes and after airplane #10 showed the other 15 went somewhere else...deals will be struck if it makes economical and business sense, not what you, me or any other pilot thinks what will happen...we are all pawns

I've seen the video. Bastian said with clarity that going forward their regional partners would be Republic, Endeavor, and Skywest. He also said that small operations like Gojet would be gone in 12-24 months. That is why the managements at TSH and Delta weren't happy it was released and it was taken down. What he said was clearly "among friends" and off the record. Bastian never thought the comments would see the light of day. Kind of stupid in the age of cell phones, but CEOs and politicians make mistakes like that all the time.

If you have been around as long as you say you have, then you know these CPAs are written with plenty of ways for mainline carriers to dump the regional carrier for lack of performance or other reasons if they feel the need to terminate early and get rid of them. With the IOCC cluster and other issues I guarantee Delta and United have all the ammunition they need to cancel these contracts if they desire. The biggest impediment to moving the planes is the lack of pilots, otherwise I think this would already be happening.

Now its the airlines, hold your breath and things can change. But if you work for any of the TSH carriers and don't realize some big changes are likely headed our way, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you cheap. What is likely is the airlines are sold and Hulas heads back to Boca with a big check and we are all better off for it in the end. But there is always the danger TSH management could screw this up and have the planes taken away, which wouldn't be good for any of us. Gojet is likely up first, and if they lose the 25 UAL 700s that will tell you where we are all going. What affects one TSH carrier could affect us all.

savedbythevnav
01-29-2019, 06:55 AM

You got us. All 4,800 of us are in the board room making the decision.

As if we sit here wanting to f*ck over another pilot group. We can't staff our current contracts without tanking everyone's QOL, let alone some other airlines contracts.

ELAC321
01-29-2019, 07:23 AM
You got us. All 4,800 of us are in the board room making the decision.

As if we sit here wanting to f*ck over another pilot group. We can't staff our current contracts without tanking everyone's QOL, let alone some other airlines contracts.

Calm down, it was a joke that some skyw pilots seemingly get giddy when their company takes planes from other carriers.

Excargodog
01-29-2019, 07:56 AM
If you have been around as long as you say you have, then you know these CPAs are written with plenty of ways for mainline carriers to dump the regional carrier for lack of performance or other reasons if they feel the need to terminate early and get rid of them.

Absolutely, which affects EVERYBODY who is flying codeshares, not just the regional airlines with the misfortune to currently be owned by TSH.

Now its the airlines, hold your breath and things can change.

Again correct. Ask the Delta guys who lost their pensions during the Delta bankruptcy. It's a cyclical industry. The highs can be damn high and a year later you may be furloughed and looking for a way to feed your family until the next upturn.

If this is the career you have chosen the sooner you either realize that and accept that or decide to go do something else, the happier you will be.

But now having conceded that, the times are currently good, and the prospects for a professional pilot has rarely been better than in the current marketplace. Nobody is ever completely in charge of their destiny but right now, right here, doesn't seem like a bad place to be.

Voski
01-29-2019, 03:29 PM
When is Compassí agreement with American set to expire?

C37AFE
01-29-2019, 07:11 PM

Yes I saw it and it was very clear that he said they were consolidating to those three. Others on here came away with same understanding....

NeverFlexTO
01-30-2019, 05:23 AM
When is Compassí agreement with American set to expire?

Thatís been beat with a dead horse in the main compass thread so do a little research before posting...but realistically 2024 after the 2 two year automatic contract renewals...

TheFly
01-30-2019, 06:27 AM

Really? I know several Comair pilots that ended up as part 135 dispatchers and pilots. SkyWest pilots get hired at SWA, UA, DL, AA and any other major/legacy as much as any other carrier. Any OO has never furloughed.

TheFly
01-30-2019, 06:29 AM
Yes I saw it and it was very clear that he said they were consolidating to those three. Others on here came away with same understanding....

Not trying to fan the flames, but don’t rule out SKW in picking up flying from, or consolidating/acquiring with some of the aforementioned regionals.

savedbythevnav
01-30-2019, 08:28 AM
OO has never furloughed.

While this is true, I don't know if I would bank on that in the future. There's no way OO could justify hanging onto almost 5,000 pilots if the last 15 years happened all over again.

Ara1
01-30-2019, 11:19 AM
While this is true, I don't know if I would bank on that in the future. There's no way OO could justify hanging onto almost 5,000 pilots if the last 15 years happened all over again.

Yeah, I'd think they learned their lesson with ExpressJet.

hawk21
01-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Calm down, it was a joke that some skyw pilots seemingly get giddy when their company takes planes from other carriers.

Only airplanes SkyWest has "taken" from other companies has been 700s from XJT/ASA (SkyWest owns those planes by the way). All the 175 flying is done with brand new planes from the factory.

gojo
01-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Only airplanes SkyWest has "taken" from other companies has been 700s from XJT/ASA (SkyWest owns those planes by the way). All the 175 flying is done with brand new planes from the factory.

601XJ 602XJ plus a few other 200ís from Mesaba. Skywest isnít as perfect as youíd like to portray. And theyíre party to the regional whipsaw game

savedbythevnav
01-30-2019, 02:07 PM
Skywest isnít as perfect as youíd like to portray.

Furthest thing from perfect. They should learn how to hire and use reserves instead of extended people up the wazoo and then wondering why people call fatigued.

More flying is cool if we could actually staff it. I guess Joseph Smith told management that they don't need staffing because American Jesus told him so.

VIRotate
01-30-2019, 02:47 PM
Really? I know several Comair pilots that ended up as part 135 dispatchers and pilots. SkyWest pilots get hired at SWA, UA, DL, AA and any other major/legacy as much as any other carrier. Any OO has never furloughed.

Did you actually take a meme seriously? :rolleyes:

GojetNoGo
01-30-2019, 05:15 PM

I was with 2 major ALPA airlines and received the ®preferential jobs at major ALPA carriers® twice. The only airline that did that was United and it was not a job but only an interview. Delta, Alaska, American, etc give no preference in any way. I do not know a single person who even got a Delta interview after one of the shutdowns.

The preferential interview is not much of an interview. They only hired 14% of those interviewed the first airline, and less with the second. Those they hired all seemed to be in the minority categories they needed at the time, Blacks, Hispanics, Asian, and pilots with lots of grey hair (to counter their prior age discrimination lawsuit they lost). I donīt think there is any preferential jobs that you can count on. The odds were much better off the street.

AirBat
01-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Maybe you didnít get it because youíre a racist. Just a thought. You were probably *****ing about it to one of their recruiters on accident.

JSDL
01-30-2019, 06:11 PM
Maybe you didnít get it because youíre a racist. Just a thought. You were probably *****ing about it to one of their recruiters on accident.

So his comments make him a racist? Interesting times we live in! Folks this is out of control.

Paid2fly
01-30-2019, 08:50 PM

:confused:

:eek:

:rolleyes:

ninerdriver
01-31-2019, 06:28 AM
Obviously not racist, because he didn't say "the blacks, the Hispanics, the Asians."

BobbyLeeSwagger
01-31-2019, 06:47 AM
Obviously not racist, because he didn't say "the blacks, the Hispanics, the Asians."

https://i.imgflip.com/2sid2m.jpg

savedbythevnav
01-31-2019, 08:22 AM

https://wronghands1.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/ten-foot-poles.jpg

NeverFlexTO
01-31-2019, 08:42 AM
I was with 2 major ALPA airlines and received the ®preferential jobs at major ALPA carriers® twice. The only airline that did that was United and it was not a job but only an interview. Delta, Alaska, American, etc give no preference in any way. I do not know a single person who even got a Delta interview after one of the shutdowns.

The preferential interview is not much of an interview. They only hired 14% of those interviewed the first airline, and less with the second. Those they hired all seemed to be in the minority categories they needed at the time, Blacks, Hispanics, Asian, and pilots with lots of grey hair (to counter their prior age discrimination lawsuit they lost). I donīt think there is any preferential jobs that you can count on. The odds were much better off the street.

I interviewed at DAL more than a year ago after the ASA announcement of them withdrawing their DL flying...they certainly gave those guys preferential treatment. There was a solid 6 months where they hired a ton of legacy ASA guys after that announcement was made, so to say DL wasnít giving those guys at ASA (an ALPA carrier) preferential treatment is far from the truth

sMFer
01-31-2019, 12:07 PM
Maybe you didnít get it because youíre a racist. Just a thought. You were probably *****ing about it to one of their recruiters on accident.Someone needs a safe space.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Captain Slow
01-31-2019, 01:00 PM

You know Republic isn't public, right?

amcnd
01-31-2019, 01:02 PM
You know Republic isn't public, right?

Ya. I said that..^ read it again

Silver02ex
01-31-2019, 05:13 PM

You’re kidding right? How about the Comair 900’s, the original Pinnalce 900’s (PQ) or other 200’s from ASA? Who do think picked up some of the flying after Pinnacle/Endeavor filed for BK? I’ve seen a couple 200’s last year that’s operated by SW and remember flying those airplane at Endeavor.

https://m.planespotters.net/airline/SkyWest-Airlines?p=3

waflyboy
01-31-2019, 05:45 PM

Are you saying that the Compass-Delta contract expires in September 2019? How do you know?

TillerTemptress
01-31-2019, 07:04 PM
It's not up until a fair bit later in 2020...

VIRotate
02-01-2019, 12:35 AM
It's not up until a fair bit later in 2020...

This is actually when it expires.

Excargodog
02-01-2019, 06:51 AM
This is actually when it expires.

Meaning the corporate game of chicken will continue awhile longer until one or the other yields or the crash occurs.

WillRobinsonCRJ
02-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Maybe you didn’t get it because you’re a racist. Just a thought. You were probably *****ing about it to one of their recruiters on accident.

I don't know how it is now but back in the late 80s and early 90s United was working very hard to recruit and hire minorities to make up for past discrimination. They had quotas to fill from agreements they made with the government, EEOC I assume, although they were called "goals". In 1993 (might have been 1992) they had to pay the government 1.3 million because they did not meet their goals that year. Friends of mine with any kind of minority status with the same qualifications as me were hired 4 years before I even obtained an interview. That was just how it was.

I agree that nobody should be thinking that a preferential interview will get you much.

Does AirBat actually think he is being professional with his posts?

VIRotate
02-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Meaning the corporate game of chicken will continue awhile longer until one or the other yields or the crash occurs.

Yes exactly. It's just not worth the extra grey hairs worrying about it. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1