Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : AAWW when you fail bidding

boeingdvr
01-09-2019, 02:23 PM
So... I bump into my buddy at the hub last night. Exchange the standard pleasantries, and then proceeds to rant.

I'm out for 40 days man... no ****, why ??

Here's how. 17 day ANC pattern with an early start. Must commute two X days prior (off season for airlines ). Now he is at 19 days.

The rant continues on our MSDOS bidding system and how he just mistyped his bid. 17 day trip on Jan 1. This now has put him at 36 days. But... it's gets better. Scheduling extended him another 3 ( 39 days ), to protect the operation- another words, cover for not attracting enough pilots.

He will finish up the morning on day 39, and make his way back home to the Southern US. Arriving on day 40/41.

The good news, he has 10 days off after, and junior guys in class behind him.

YMMV

Riverside
01-09-2019, 04:11 PM
K4 is hiring....

TiredSoul
01-09-2019, 04:16 PM
Did he or didnít he make a mistake in his bid?
Case closed.....

WhipWhitaker
01-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Thank god you started a thread to tell us about how your friend sucks at bidding.

JackStraw
01-09-2019, 04:35 PM
You let your buddy come to Atlas?

Fillmore Slim
01-09-2019, 04:49 PM
One Thanksgiving morning a few years ago I was sitting at home on R-1 (home reserve) and I get a call from scheduling. "Hey we got a trip for you the grizzled scheduler says."

Now, as a junior guy sitting reserve I'd already done my homework. "Well Mr. Scheduler, their's another FO who's got the SAME reserve days as I do, and he's junior to me! Surely you can use him."

"Nope, you live closer and the plane ticket to fly him to the jet will cost more"...........

Make sure you do your homework before coming here. This is one of numerous stories I can share, and I'm sure there's thousands more.

~Slim

DC8DRIVER
01-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Did he or didnít he make a mistake in his bid?

Since the title of the thread is: "AAWW when you fail bidding" I'm going to go out on a limb and say he did.

The point of the thread is that most other airlines don't have contractual scheduling rules that would be as catastrophic for mistaken bidding techniques or low seniority bidding restrictions.

boeingdvr
01-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Winner Winner

JetLaged
01-15-2019, 07:03 AM
Winner Winner

Frozen DHL chicken dinner! Again...

nitefr8dog
01-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Frozen DHL chicken dinner! Again...

Chicken would be an upgrade....for us its heart healthy macaroni and cheese..

hvydvr
01-18-2019, 12:50 PM
One Thanksgiving morning a few years ago I was sitting at home on R-1 (home reserve) and I get a call from scheduling. "Hey we got a trip for you the grizzled scheduler says."

Now, as a junior guy sitting reserve I'd already done my homework. "Well Mr. Scheduler, their's another FO who's got the SAME reserve days as I do, and he's junior to me! Surely you can use him."

"Nope, you live closer and the plane ticket to fly him to the jet will cost more"...........

Make sure you do your homework before coming here. This is one of numerous stories I can share, and I'm sure there's thousands more.

~Slim

Tell him youíre checking four bags and to run his numbers on that. I knew an HSV CA a few years back flew first class pretty much everywhere stateside because he traveled with four checked bags. First class bags are free.

Atrasaty
01-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Tell him you’re checking four bags and to run his numbers on that. I knew an HSV CA a few years back flew first class pretty much everywhere stateside because he traveled with four checked bags. First class bags are free.

Not how it works at Atlas.... I was booked in coach, domestic with no status (usually the case these days.) Premiun coach upgrade with priority boarding was $14. First checked bag was $25 and $30 I think for the second. Called travel for authorization to spend $14 so I could get on board with my bags or check 2 because I was in boarding group 7. "DENIED" Against "COMPANY POLICY." That's how we roll at 5WHY?

JackStraw
01-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Tell him you’re checking four bags and to run his numbers on that. I knew an HSV CA a few years back flew first class pretty much everywhere stateside because he traveled with four checked bags. First class bags are free.

An esteemed member of the Atlas 400 club I’m sure. Probably lugs around 4 bags because he never goes home and has his favorite scheduler who keeps doling out work on speed dial. “You got any more flying for me?” he anxiously inquires. “A 12 day trip on my days off to Kabul, New Delhi, and Ramstein?! I’ll take it!”. Then he hangs up and brags about his Polar travel bank that he still has which 99% of the other pilots have never even heard of because it’s a relic leftover from the days of relics.

Take what guys like that say with a grain of salt. If he’s flying first class it’s because he’s worked 60 days in a row and the scheduler owes him one... or ten.

TiredSoul
01-18-2019, 05:33 PM
Or if commercial deadhead after operating exceeds x hrs yadayadayada....

scrupulous
01-19-2019, 01:38 AM
An esteemed member of the Atlas 400 club Iím sure. Probably lugs around 4 bags because he never goes home and has his favorite scheduler who keeps doling out work on speed dial. ďYou got any more flying for me?Ē he anxiously inquires. ďA 12 day trip on my days off to Kabul, New Delhi, and Ramstein?! Iíll take it!Ē. Then he hangs up and brags about his Polar travel bank that he still has which 99% of the other pilots have never even heard of because itís a relic leftover from the days of relics.

Take what guys like that say with a grain of salt. If heís flying first class itís because heís worked 60 days in a row and the scheduler owes him one... or ten.

Curious if he made the list or is he exempt by being "Buddies With Bob". I've noted a few that get a free pass.

hvydvr
01-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Not how it works at Atlas.... I was booked in coach, domestic with no status (usually the case these days.) Premiun coach upgrade with priority boarding was $14. First checked bag was $25 and $30 I think for the second. Called travel for authorization to spend $14 so I could get on board with my bags or check 2 because I was in boarding group 7. "DENIED" Against "COMPANY POLICY." That's how we roll at 5WHY?

You did read where I said HSV CA right? That's exactly how it worked at 5Y through when I left in mid 2015 and I'm reasonably sure a new contract hasn't come out since then.

hvydvr
01-21-2019, 09:42 AM
An esteemed member of the Atlas 400 club Iím sure. Probably lugs around 4 bags because he never goes home and has his favorite scheduler who keeps doling out work on speed dial. ďYou got any more flying for me?Ē he anxiously inquires. ďA 12 day trip on my days off to Kabul, New Delhi, and Ramstein?! Iíll take it!Ē. Then he hangs up and brags about his Polar travel bank that he still has which 99% of the other pilots have never even heard of because itís a relic leftover from the days of relics.

Take what guys like that say with a grain of salt. If heís flying first class itís because heís worked 60 days in a row and the scheduler owes him one... or ten.

No FoB or anything like that. If youíre familiar with the guys at HSV back then he was the guy who also used to travel with his own coffee maker and cooler for half and half.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1