Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commutair or Expressjet?

watch
01-09-2019, 05:27 PM
I have offers from Commutair and Expressjet. Both look like great options for new hires for reasons outlined below. Please let me know your input on a couple factors I'm using to make my decision:

My priorities are listed the following order:

1) New York domicile.
2) Maximum flight time.
3) Quickest class date and training pipeline.
4) Upgrade time
5) Variety of flying
6) Pay / Work rules

Here's how I see them measure up. Tell me if I'm wrong, or if you have something to add to this list.

1) NYC domicile: EWR is the junior base for both. Tie.
2) Most Flight time: Expressjet and Commutair pilots have both said a new FO at EWR can fly as much as legally allowed. Tie.
3) Quick Class date and training: Both have immediate start, and offer 80-90 day training (including IOE) without delays or long breaks. Tie.
4) Upgrade time: Commutair is upgrade at 1000 hrs with company (~18 months). Expressjet projects that "if the company gets all 171 airplanes, all current FOs will have the opportunity to upgrade inside of 24 months." Commutair wins. Commutair upgrade is based on current need for captains, Expressjet's "24 month" hopeful is based on projections. The junior captain at Expressjet was hired in 2011.
5) Variety: Expressjet flies to Canada, Mexico, and as far west as Colorado. Commutair flies to the east coast and the ohio river valley. Expressjet wins.
6) Pay / work rules: Expressjet wins. With EQO, they pay $50 per hour.

Intangibles: Expressjet has AQP and "best in class" training. Do you think this is worth considering?

Commutair IS ACTUALLY growing. Expressjet hopes to grow. Their addition of 4 E175s per month will create vacancies and movement in Houston, but probably not EWR.

Expressjet flew 376,627 hours in all of 2018 (source (https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/skywest-inc-reports-combined-december-2018-traffic-for-skywest-airlines-and-expressjet-airlines-300773228.html)). With 1400 pilots, that's only 269 hours per pilot, and down by 38% from 2017. Going there with a top priority of getting flight time is putting a lot of stock into hope.

Commutair doesn't report their annual traffic, or at least I can't find it on the internet. Can anyone help?

What do you think? I am leaning toward Commutair because they match Expressjet in domicile, training time, and win out for upgrade time and are a better bet for the "most" flight time.

Anything else you think I should consider?

knewyork
01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Guess you canít wait for a Republic class date? Republic blows both out of the water on all of your other points. I certainly understand though.

watch
01-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Guess you canít wait for a Republic class date?

Correct. Home domicile, lots of flight time, and quick class date: All three are deal breakers for me.

knewyork
01-10-2019, 03:57 AM
Correct. Home domicile, lots of flight time, and quick class date: All three are deal breakers for me.

Republic has bigger bases in EWR and LGA than either of them but I understand the delay is an issue.

FredFlystone
01-10-2019, 05:02 AM
Iím at C5. Was at XJT. PM me.

I have offers from Commutair and Expressjet. Both look like great options for new hires for reasons outlined below. Please let me know your input on a couple factors I'm using to make my decision:

My priorities are listed the following order:

1) New York domicile.
2) Maximum flight time.
3) Quickest class date and training pipeline.
4) Upgrade time
5) Variety of flying
6) Pay / Work rules

Here's how I see them measure up. Tell me if I'm wrong, or if you have something to add to this list.

1) NYC domicile: EWR is the junior base for both. Tie.
2) Most Flight time: Expressjet and Commutair pilots have both said a new FO at EWR can fly as much as legally allowed. Tie.
3) Quick Class date and training: Both have immediate start, and offer 80-90 day training (including IOE) without delays or long breaks. Tie.
4) Upgrade time: Commutair is upgrade at 1000 hrs with company (~18 months). Expressjet projects that "if the company gets all 171 airplanes, all current FOs will have the opportunity to upgrade inside of 24 months." Commutair wins. Commutair upgrade is based on current need for captains, Expressjet's "24 month" hopeful is based on projections. The junior captain at Expressjet was hired in 2011.
5) Variety: Expressjet flies to Canada, Mexico, and as far west as Colorado. Commutair flies to the east coast and the ohio river valley. Expressjet wins.
6) Pay / work rules: Expressjet wins. With EQO, they pay $50 per hour.

Intangibles: Expressjet has AQP and "best in class" training. Do you think this is worth considering?

Commutair IS ACTUALLY growing. Expressjet hopes to grow. Their addition of 4 E175s per month will create vacancies and movement in Houston, but probably not EWR.

Expressjet flew 376,627 hours in all of 2018 (source (https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/skywest-inc-reports-combined-december-2018-traffic-for-skywest-airlines-and-expressjet-airlines-300773228.html)). With 1400 pilots, that's only 269 hours per pilot, and down by 38% from 2017. Going there with a top priority of getting flight time is putting a lot of stock into hope.

Commutair doesn't report their annual traffic, or at least I can't find it on the internet. Can anyone help?

What do you think? I am leaning toward Commutair because they match Expressjet in domicile, training time, and win out for upgrade time and are a better bet for the "most" flight time.

Anything else you think I should consider?

jacburn
01-10-2019, 07:40 AM
There are several of us that work at CommutAir that used to work at expressjet (some of us for 9 years). Commutair passes all of your priorities except the variety of flying. Our contract is weak, but I make a lot more money at commutair than I used to at expressjet. The morale is also a lot better at commutair as well.

flying4401
01-10-2019, 11:33 AM
Both are good but you can't go wrong with CommutAir. Better moral - more growth - receive a line within 1-2 months (if not less) in EWR - and faster CPP with United. ExpressJet may have the shiny E-Jets but the first few months will most likely go to the top and most senior pilots...good luck getting on that.

PontiusPilot
01-10-2019, 12:18 PM
The morale* is just fine at ExpressJet these days.

jacburn
01-10-2019, 02:27 PM
The morale* is just fine at ExpressJet these days.
Not from what I hear.

FredFlystone
01-10-2019, 03:20 PM
CommutAir is a great choice. Training and instructors (ground and sim) are top notch, growing route map, more planes coming, great pilot group. There are different regionals, not better ones.

watch
01-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Thanks again, Fred. Posting this to the masses:

Expressjet has 2 hour callout and their pilots on reserve can aggressively "bid" for their trips on reserve. In other words, if you want to fly, you can choose the trips and volunteer for them the day before. This lets guys who want to fly get time, and the guys who don't want to fly on reserve mark "no fly request".

Does Commutair have anything similar? Airport reserve doesn't sound fun, but do Commutair pilots have the option to choose their reserve trips and schedule the day before? Thanks.

watch
01-10-2019, 03:48 PM
There are several of us that work at CommutAir that used to work at expressjet (some of us for 9 years). Commutair passes all of your priorities except the variety of flying. Our contract is weak, but I make a lot more money at commutair than I used to at expressjet. The morale is also a lot better at commutair as well.

What do you think is the weakest part of the contract, or what would you want them to change first?

Do you make more because of difference in pay scales, or because you can pick up 200-300% overtime often?

Do you feel like Commutair is "growing" or at least not stagnant?

What did you think of the training at Commutair versus Expressjet?

Thanks Jacburn

watch
01-10-2019, 03:50 PM
receive a line within 1-2 months (if not less) in EWR -

Can you trade trips, or pick up trips for more time? How does the bidding process work?

After you're senior enough to hold a line, can you stand short call reserve if you want, and then pick up the most efficient lines?

jacburn
01-10-2019, 06:10 PM
What do you think is the weakest part of the contract, or what would you want them to change first?

Do you make more because of difference in pay scales, or because you can pick up 200-300% overtime often?

Do you feel like Commutair is "growing" or at least not stagnant?

What did you think of the training at Commutair versus Expressjet?

Thanks Jacburn

PM sent. .

Blackhawk
01-11-2019, 06:54 AM
People on both sides will give you their version of the truth. Frankly, within the time frame of you being a FO there is a good possibility that the two will be combined. If that happens, date of hire will have a big impact though it probably won't be the only consideration so if you can get an earlier class date with one versus the other that should be a major factor.
Pilots tend to chase upgrade times, but that tends to make upgrades like hot stocks. If you get in early you make a killing. Those getting in later, not so much. They may get hired when upgrade times are at 1 year, but may wait 5 years or more due to the "wave" of pilots chasing the upgrade.
The inverse applies. ExpressJet "stock" has been knocked down. New hire classes since the Delta announcement have generally been small. Many of the FO's left- look at the comments by former XJT pilots now at CommutAir. Many high seniority captains left, either for places like K4 (about 130 senior pilots were hired by them), other airlines or sectors of the aviation industry such as 135 and corporate, or just retired to avoid commuting. This means that when upgrades do start again you will see the upgrade times plummet. They won't be "linear".
I've seen this before and more than once. When I was hired at ASA I was told 5-8 years to upgrade. I had friends who went to ContExp for the quick upgrade, then running about 2 years if I remember right. Delta bought ASA while I was in new hire class and 18 months later I was upgrading. Could have been faster if I went to the EMB-120. Those friends who went to ContExp for the quick upgrade came over to ASA 5 years later. They were still FO's with no end in sight at ContExp.

MACJACK
01-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Im Exactly in the same boat Republic said they have my application but they are currently filled till late 2019. Don't really just want to hang my hat waiting for them i'm 30 Min drive from EWR and can't seem to wrap my head around either going with Commutair or Expressjet. Does Commutair have Bidding as well?

Blackhawk
01-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Im Exactly in the same boat Republic said they have my application but they are currently filled till late 2019. Don't really just want to hang my hat waiting for them i'm 30 Min drive from EWR and can't seem to wrap my head around either going with Commutair or Expressjet. Does Commutair have Bidding as well?

Get in a class. Now. Personally I would go with XJT but whichever one is first.

FredFlystone
01-11-2019, 08:04 AM
CommutAir is a great choice. Growing, good group. Good group at XJT too. Meet both and pick the one you like. For me, CommutAir has been a great regional.

Deluth16
01-11-2019, 09:15 AM
What hotel do new hires stay at in Iad (brand)?
When do new-hires get into CASS?
Thanks

jacburn
01-11-2019, 09:23 AM
People on both sides will give you their version of the truth. Frankly, within the time frame of you being a FO there is a good possibility that the two will be combined. If that happens, date of hire will have a big impact though it probably won't be the only consideration so if you can get an earlier class date with one versus the other that should be a major factor.
Pilots tend to chase upgrade times, but that tends to make upgrades like hot stocks. If you get in early you make a killing. Those getting in later, not so much. They may get hired when upgrade times are at 1 year, but may wait 5 years or more due to the "wave" of pilots chasing the upgrade.
The inverse applies. ExpressJet "stock" has been knocked down. New hire classes since the Delta announcement have generally been small. Many of the FO's left- look at the comments by former XJT pilots now at CommutAir. Many high seniority captains left, either for places like K4 (about 130 senior pilots were hired by them), other airlines or sectors of the aviation industry such as 135 and corporate, or just retired to avoid commuting. This means that when upgrades do start again you will see the upgrade times plummet. They won't be "linear".
I've seen this before and more than once. When I was hired at ASA I was told 5-8 years to upgrade. I had friends who went to ContExp for the quick upgrade, then running about 2 years if I remember right. Delta bought ASA while I was in new hire class and 18 months later I was upgrading. Could have been faster if I went to the EMB-120. Those friends who went to ContExp for the quick upgrade came over to ASA 5 years later. They were still FO's with no end in sight at ContExp.

We currently have a rotating door at C5 with the upper CA's going on to other majors and classes of new hires starting every couple of weeks. The reserve time for new hire FO's is very short (one or two months) because of the current hiring and promotions. We do not have a top heavy group of CA's that are blocking up the seniority list. Yes, I know that a lot of the ASA CA's left for K4, but that did not take care of the L-XJT side.

It is still unknown if the new XJT CEO will repeat history by pulling down a large number of the XJT existing fleet to cover the new 175 aircraft like he has a history of doing in the past. If he does pull down more of the 145 flying, there will be stagnation over the next year. Yes, that happened at C5 while he was here and his previous carriers as well.

jacburn
01-11-2019, 09:27 AM
What hotel do new hires stay at in Iad (brand)?
When do new-hires get into CASS?
Thanks

Most stay at a Hampton Inn with overflows at a Hawthorn Suites or a Courtyard.

And I will add, just because there are still some of those airlines (skywest) that make you stay with someone else in the same room. We are always single occupancy rooms. No one ever has to sleep with anyone else at C5.

Cass is granted when passing the Sim ride. Badges are given at end of systems class.

Blackhawk
01-11-2019, 10:26 AM
We currently have a rotating door at C5 with the upper CA's going on to other majors and classes of new hires starting every couple of weeks. The reserve time for new hire FO's is very short (one or two months) because of the current hiring and promotions. We do not have a top heavy group of CA's that are blocking up the seniority list. Yes, I know that a lot of the ASA CA's left for K4, but that did not take care of the L-XJT side.

It is still unknown if the new XJT CEO will repeat history by pulling down a large number of the XJT existing fleet to cover the new 175 aircraft like he has a history of doing in the past. If he does pull down more of the 145 flying, there will be stagnation over the next year. Yes, that happened at C5 while he was here and his previous carriers as well.

CPP is doing a fairly good job of attrition on the L-XJT side. Latest memo states 50-60 going United Q1 alone. If that holds up for the year thatís over 200 of the more senior pilots. Again, that will probably be a wash.

PhantomHawk
01-11-2019, 10:49 AM
CPP is doing a fairly good job of attrition on the L-XJT side. Latest memo states 50-60 going United Q1 alone. If that holds up for the year thatís over 200 of the more senior pilots. Again, that will probably be a wash.
The current seniority level going to UAL is middle of the pack. Almost everyone going over in february is a reserve CA. 2007 hires.

Blackhawk
01-11-2019, 10:53 AM
The current seniority level going to UAL is middle of the pack. Almost everyone going over in february is a reserve CA. 2007 hires.

Still captains, meaning upgrades.

jacburn
01-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Still captains, meaning upgrades.
Exactly what I said above is correct. The top of the CA list at XJT is stuck. That still continues to be a problem at expressjet.

I am so glad that you stopped in to the C5 thread to sell the expressjet stuff.

Blackhawk
01-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Exactly what I said above is correct. The top of the CA list at XJT is stuck. That still continues to be a problem at expressjet.

I am so glad that you stopped in to the C5 thread to sell the expressjet stuff.

Pilots post on both sides. Or do you limit your posts to C5?
BTW, I am no longer at XJT, so unlike you I don't have any skin in this. Trying to give those asking an unbiased opinion.
Like I wrote above, I've been around long enough to have seen this before.
Unless a pilot is looking to be a "lifer" those at the very top of a list won't matter. What matters is being able to hold a line as a FO, upgrade, and hopefully hold a line as a captain. In the case of XJT there are more bases and larger aircraft coming online to entice senior pilots giving those who want the opportunity advancement.

watch
01-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Thank you both for your input. One of my biggest takeaways from this thread is that C5 pilots are NOT saying ďdo not come here! Youíre crazy considering this over XJT!Ē

Likewise, on the XJT thread most of the posting people at least seem hopeful that the future will not be more contraction or stagnation.

Basically it sounds like a toss up. I feel like commutair isnít as flashy and the airport reserve will suck, but itís the more conservative choice with existing growth and continuous movement in the entire seniority list.

Expressjet would probably be a great choice- better training (as Iíve heard), flights to Mexico, $15k more per year just starting out. But if it keeps contracting like it has been in 2018, it is the wrong choice. I would be putting at least some faith in the pilot groupís hope that things are going to get better.

I have a week or so to decide. Keep letting me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Blackhawk
01-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Thank you both for your input. One of my biggest takeaways from this thread is that C5 pilots are NOT saying “do not come here! You’re crazy considering this over XJT!”

Likewise, on the XJT thread most of the posting people at least seem hopeful that the future will not be more contraction or stagnation.

Basically it sounds like a toss up. I feel like commutair isn’t as flashy and the airport reserve will suck, but it’s the more conservative choice with existing growth and continuous movement in the entire seniority list.

Expressjet would probably be a great choice- better training (as I’ve heard), flights to Mexico, $15k more per year just starting out. But if it keeps contracting like it has been in 2018, it is the wrong choice. I would be putting at least some faith in the pilot group’s hope that things are going to get better.

That's about right. Both have advantages and disadvantages and either way you should be fine.
I will add that I don't think UAL just sank a bunch of money into XJT in order to contract it.

DownInPetaluma
01-11-2019, 02:58 PM
That's about right. Both have advantages and disadvantages and either way you should be fine.
I will add that I don't think UAL just sank a bunch of money into XJT in order to contract it.

How much money was actually sunk, here. 70m (even if not split in two) is like a rounding error.

Blackhawk
01-11-2019, 03:52 PM
How much money was actually sunk, here. 70m (even if not split in two) is like a rounding error.

$70m here, $70m there. Soon you're talking about real money. And that was just the acquisition cost.
They bought it for a reason. It would have been easy to have just let SkyWest shut XJT down. But UAL made a decision to not let that happen.

SpaceManX
01-11-2019, 06:45 PM
CommutAir is a great choice. Training and instructors (ground and sim) are top notch, growing route map, more planes coming, great pilot group. There are different regionals, not better ones.
LOL......Ok :D:D

njd1
01-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Basically it sounds like a toss up. I feel like commutair isnít as flashy and the airport reserve will suck, but itís the more conservative choice with existing growth and continuous movement in the entire seniority list.

Expressjet would probably be a great choice- better training (as Iíve heard), flights to Mexico, $15k more per year just starting out. But if it keeps contracting like it has been in 2018, it is the wrong choice. I would be putting at least some faith in the pilot groupís hope that things are going to get better.

I'm at C5. Two comments:

1) Airport reserve at C5 does suck, but

it's a trade-off (8 hours vs 14 hours duty for short call)
you won't be on reserve long here (maybe a month at EWR and two at IAD)
you will actually be used on reserve so it's not like you're going to the airport simply to sit on your ass.

2) I can't speak to XJET's training but, having experienced training at a top tier regional that had more money to throw at the training department than C5 and XJET combined, I have come away from C5's training feeling far more competent in my responsibilities as both an FO and future CA.

Going in I was admittedly concerned about having only three GFS lessons utilizing trainers which lack visuals and realistic controls, but I found the lessons far more rewarding mostly because the instructors were extremely competent, patient, and even fun to work with. I felt confident going into sims. Of course, I had prior experience so that obviously helped, but my sim partner did not, yet he did equally well.

Where C5 training excels beyond many carriers IMO is that they now provide 13 sims to all students out of the gate and ultimately more if you need them.

Additionally, the current sim schedule consists of groups of 3-4 sims, followed by 1 or 2 days off, depending on whether you use the last sim in each group (officially declared as an "additional sim"). This results in a bit more than 3 weeks in sims but this is a much more tolerable schedule because it allows you to decompress, absorb what's been learned, and brush up on any weaknesses.

The current training footprint is:

1 week indoc (IAD)
2 week systems (IAD)
1 week sit (IAD)
1 day oral (IAD)**
3 weeks GFS & sims (CVG or HOU)

** Your oral wil be in IAD and prior to sims if you have 1500 hours required for the ATP (or you have your ATP already). This is preferential to having your oral after you get the required time via sims because you can focus exclusively on flying the airplane vs studying for the oral.

watch
01-13-2019, 05:29 AM
Thanks a lot.. XJT makes a big deal about AQP and the quality of training but all the C5 pilots ive heard from say that the training at C5 is good.

Some side questions:
- can Commutair pilots park their car at EWR as long as they want for free? I may want to keep my car there instead of the city.
- can pilots on reserve at C5 choose their trips for the reserve period If they want to fly? For example, if my 4 day reserve period starts tomorrow, can I log onto the scheduling website and sign up for specific trips that I want? Or do you always just show up at the airport and wait until youíre assigned?

FredFlystone
01-13-2019, 06:03 AM
Iím at C5. Donít know about parking but training is excellent. Great ground and sim instructors, positive learning environment great overall experience.

Thanks a lot.. XJT makes a big deal about AQP and the quality of training but all the C5 pilots ive heard from say that the training at C5 is good.

Some side questions:
- can Commutair pilots park their car at EWR as long as they want for free? I may want to keep my car there instead of the city.
- can pilots on reserve at C5 choose their trips for the reserve period If they want to fly? For example, if my 4 day reserve period starts tomorrow, can I log onto the scheduling website and sign up for specific trips that I want? Or do you always just show up at the airport and wait until youíre assigned?

Blackhawk
01-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Some side questions:
- can pilots on reserve at C5 choose their trips for the reserve period If they want to fly? For example, if my 4 day reserve period starts tomorrow, can I log onto the scheduling website and sign up for specific trips that I want? Or do you always just show up at the airport and wait until you’re assigned?
In general airlines give you free parking in your domicile. There are several employee parking lots at EWR. Some airports such as LGA have time limits but I have never heard of it being strictly enforced.

Reference training. There are probably some former XJT pilots at C5 who may give you an honest comparison. Not having experienced both I won’t try to compare them. I do think an advantage XJT has over other regional airlines is the experience level of the instructors. Almost all (if not all), the instructors and LCAs will have 20+ years experience at XJT. I’ve heard of pilots at other regionals being hired with a year on line and no prior jet, turboprop or 121 experience. ��
Maybe because of this XJT will often train things before they are mandated by the FAA. High altitude stalls and dual engine failures/engine relights are two that come to mind and were trained before being mandated.
Again, this is not to disparage C5 training. I have not heard anything bad about it recently.

corporategypsy
01-13-2019, 07:00 AM
On reserve you can request short call or airport reserve or indicate no preference. You can also request am or pm shifts. They will honor the request based on need and seniority. You are also able to request trips from open time 48hrs prior. They wait to see if a line pilot will pick it up bit if not it gets assigned. Again the request is based on seniority. When i was on reserve they always gave me the shift i wanted but not always the open time.

Some side questions:

watch
01-13-2019, 07:38 AM
You are also able to request trips from open time 48hrs prior. They wait to see if a line pilot will pick it up bit if not it gets assigned. Again the request is based on seniority. When i was on reserve they always gave me the shift i wanted but not always the open time.

So if you bid on a productive open trip 48 hours before it starts, how soon before the trip will they assign it to you if a line flyer doesnít pick it up?

da42pilot
01-13-2019, 09:07 AM
So if you bid on a productive open trip 48 hours before it starts, how soon before the trip will they assign it to you if a line flyer doesnít pick it up?

Whatís left in open time is usually the scraps, what nobody wanted. Itís unlikely a productive/desirable trip would be left over.

With that said, just about any trip is better than sitting reserve. Unless it gets in the way of commuting home on the last day or forces you to commute a day early prior to your first.

Edit: Iím not at commutair just giving general pointers.

Blackhawk
01-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Whatís left in open time is usually the scraps, what nobody wanted. Itís unlikely a productive/desirable trip would be left over.

With that said, just about any trip is better than sitting reserve. Unless it gets in the way of commuting home on the last day or forces you to commute a day early prior to your first.

Edit: Iím not at commutair just giving general pointers.

There is one exception.

FO: "Wow. Look at this high credit trip in open time. And 28 hours in EYW to boot!"
Me: "Let me see it." After looking at the captain. "Yeah, I wouldn't if I were you."
FO: "For 28 hours in Key West, how bad could it be?"

Two weeks later.
Me: "How was that Key West trip?"
FO: "Never again. I knew it would be bad when the captain said I was the first non-reserve FO he had flown with in months."
Every airline has them.

PhantomHawk
01-13-2019, 10:05 AM
There is one exception.

FO: "Wow. Look at this high credit trip in open time. And 28 hours in EYW to boot!"
Me: "Let me see it." After looking at the captain. "Yeah, I wouldn't if I were you."
FO: "For 28 hours in Key West, how bad could it be?"

Two weeks later.
Me: "How was that Key West trip?"
FO: "Never again. I knew it would be bad when the captain said I was the first non-reserve FO he had flown with in months."
Every airline has them.

What did you do when you were in Key West? 😉

Blackhawk
01-13-2019, 10:13 AM
What did you do when you were in Key West? 😉

Now now Sydney. :D

Parma3980
01-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Both are good but you can't go wrong with CommutAir. Better moral - more growth - receive a line within 1-2 months (if not less) in EWR - and faster CPP with United. ExpressJet may have the shiny E-Jets but the first few months will most likely go to the top and most senior pilots...good luck getting on that.

Morale at XJT is at an all time high, substantial rumors of a staple or flow with United and we are most likely going to Be giving Commute air a majority of our 145s. We just reserved 60 more 175s to bring the total in 2019/2020 to 85 plus 20 +crjs and 100 145s. The future is bright here.
Commute air was a good option 6+ months ago not anymore. People who left for Commute air are coming back to XJT

Blackhawk
01-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Morale at XJT is at an all time high, substantial rumors of a staple or flow with United and we are most likely going to Be giving Commute air a majority of our 145s. We just reserved 60 more 175s to bring the total in 2019/2020 to 85 plus 20 +crjs and 100 145s. The future is bright here.

Reference?

FredFlystone
01-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Now thatís some funny stuff. You should do stand-up comedy. Hilarious.

Commute air was a good option 6+ months ago not anymore. People who left for Commute air are coming back to XJT

PosRateGearUp
01-13-2019, 11:25 AM

This is laughable.
Either way, any person who leaves a regional for another regional, only to go back to the previous regional is a poor example of ďgood decision making.Ē Maybe we should all follow them...

FredFlystone
01-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Now thatís some funny stuff. You should do stand-up.....back to XJT....Hilarious....yes, leaving to go back to XJT......Iíve also heard that Pizza-Hut drivers now have a flow to Delta and United is buying Southwest. Must be true, I read it on the internet. /QUOTE]

Parma3980
01-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Now thatís some funny stuff. You should do stand-up.....back to XJT....Hilarious....yes, leaving to go back to XJT......Iíve also heard that Pizza-Hut drivers now have a flow to Delta and United is buying Southwest. Must be true, I read it on the internet. /QUOTE]

Funny? Give my stand up routine about 3 months and then after the announcements letís see whatís funny. Go on FAA.gov. Look at the 60 new N numbers that were reserved for XJT 12/28/2018. As far as flow/staple. Talk to UAL MeC and while I was in training a year ago 2 pilots were comin back from Commute air

Believe it or not I do t really care Iím just trying to give a new person some perspective instead of all the negativity thatís posted on here.

FredFlystone
01-13-2019, 12:02 PM
No harm, no foul. No CommutAir pilots going to XJT. Just sayiní.

Funny? Give my stand up routine about 3 months and then after the announcements letís see whatís funny. Go on FAA.gov. Look at the 60 new N numbers that were reserved for XJT 12/28/2018. As far as flow/staple. Talk to UAL MeC and while I was in training a year ago 2 pilots were comin back from Commute air

Believe it or not I do t really care Iím just trying to give a new person some perspective instead of all the negativity thatís posted on here.

jacburn
01-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Can someone from CommutAir answer this question. I was only on reserve for a couple of weeks (some time ago) and I don't remember the answer.

Watch, you have to remember that most of our FO's do not sit reserve very long.

watch
01-13-2019, 02:57 PM
At the interview a few weeks ago they said there adding 40 or maybe 60 145s.

The fact that you said United is giving all of its 145s to Commutair makes what you say suspect. Also, if it were true, that would mean Commutair is quadrupling in size- making it the best place to go.

Bovine scatology aside,

Jacburn: I thanks for the reply. Iíll be living in base but I guess a couple months of airport reserve wouldnít be bad. Still trying to make this decision.

amcnd
01-13-2019, 06:09 PM
Reserving 60 $10 N-Numbers is not the same as buying 60 E175ís. You may want to not jump the gun and hope for a completed sale and keeping the current 145ís...

watch
01-13-2019, 07:03 PM
XJT has a rule where layovers greater than 14 hours have to be at hotels in city center, allowing aircrew to see the place theyíre in instead of just an airport hotel. Any little perks like that at c5?

jacburn
01-13-2019, 07:32 PM
XJT has a rule where layovers greater than 14 hours have to be at hotels in city center, allowing aircrew to see the place theyíre in instead of just an airport hotel. Any little perks like that at c5?

Generally, there is only one hotel per city. Most of our hotels are in locations that have plenty around to do or eat.

jacburn
01-13-2019, 07:44 PM
At the interview a few weeks ago they said there adding 40 or maybe 60 145s.

The fact that you said United is giving all of its 145s to Commutair makes what you say suspect. Also, if it were true, that would mean Commutair is quadrupling in size- making it the best place to go.

I don't think anyone said that UA is moving all the 145's to C5. Yes, the plan is still to have at least 61 145's at C5. We are only about half way to the 61 fleet size right now.

If you are talking about Parma3980's bull, just note that he is full of it. For some odd reason, the XJT guys seem to be writing on this thread more than the Commutair guys and a lot of it is not factual.

Blackhawk
01-13-2019, 08:07 PM
I don't think anyone said that UA is moving all the 145's to C5. Yes, the plan is still to have at least 61 145's at C5. We are only about half way to the 61 fleet size right now.

If you are talking about Parma3980's bull, just note that he is full of it. For some odd reason, the XJT guys seem to be writing on this thread more than the Commutair guys and a lot of it is not factual.

Probably because the thread is labeled ďCommutAir or ExpressJetĒ. Since the OP is asking about both airlines one would assume pilots from both airlines would chime in. Unless there is some new rule about posting that I am not aware of. Or do you only post in the CommutAir section?
Also, except for the latest rants I think itís been a fair discussion. Iíve given my opinion but have not slammed CommutAir. As a matter of fact I told the OP to take the first class date all else being equal. So show me where the website meanies gave you an ouchie so we can kiss it and make it better.

jacburn
01-13-2019, 08:25 PM
Probably because the thread is labeled ďCommutAir or ExpressJetĒ. Since the OP is asking about both airlines one would assume pilots from both airlines would chime in. Unless there is some new rule about posting that I am not aware of. Or do you only post in the CommutAir section?
Also, except for the latest rants I think itís been a fair discussion. Iíve given my opinion but have not slammed CommutAir. As a matter of fact I told the OP to take the first class date all else being equal. So show me where the website meanies gave you an ouchie so we can kiss it and make it better.

I don't really care if XJT guys come on this thread and post accurate information. The problem occurs when the trolls come over and push information that is no where near the truth like XJT getting 60 175's or XJT is getting a flow to UA.

When I go to the XJT thread labeled Expressjet or Commutair and read it, I see calmwinds posting a bunch of bull and C5 and XJT guys trying to fix his mistakes. I don't see any of our C5 guys going on that thread and posting a bunch of bull about rumors that were heard from some gate agents second cousins brother that anyone with half of a brain knows is incorrect.

I promise you that anyone that knows me or has had me in a class will tell you that I do not paint a bed full of roses about C5 or any regional. All regionals have their problems and it all depends what someone can live with until they move on.

Guys like watch need the truth and not someone else trying to just sell them on a bunch of rumors that will never come true so they can gain seniority at their airline. That is where my ouchie is.

DirkDiggler
01-13-2019, 09:22 PM

Watch, it really sounds like you are trying to do your due diligence. Below is a link to the XJT contract along with an industry comparison from Sept 2018. This may be useful to you. I'd ask a C5 guy upload their contract so you can compare. This shouldn't be top secret information.

https://www.scribd.com/document/397411436/Regional-Contract-Comparison-2018 (https://www.scribd.com/document/397411436/Regional-Contract-Comparison-2018)

https://www.scribd.com/document/397411488/ExpressJet-2018-Pilot-Contract (https://www.scribd.com/document/397411488/ExpressJet-2018-Pilot-Contract)

PhantomHawk
01-14-2019, 04:12 AM
With ZERO bias, I would say that C5 is on a fairly predictable track. XJT is teetering on the brink and itís either about to drastically get better or itíll implode soon. Until things begin to actually happen, thereís no way to tell which direction itís gonna go.

watch
01-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the contract. And yes, it seems like XJT has reason for an optimistic future, but until that shows signs of materializing itís still hope.

Commutair has been growing and needs pilots. They pay less, fly to less cities, and donít have the training reputation of XJT- but they have shown growth and need pilots.

A few folks say ďwhy not republic or endeavor, get $$$, get paid not to fly.Ē The whole point of a regional is to fly and make myself competitive for a major airline. Whatís the point of high pay if youíre getting minimum guarantee and adding 30 hours per month?

Expressjet will probably do great. I feel like itís more of a gamble. Iím still not sure; having their deal with Mana Air actually signed will help their case.

Thanks for the link to the contract.

corporategypsy
01-14-2019, 06:57 AM

They assign your first day of reserve at 9am 2 days prior. They assign each following day by 6pm the day before. I have seen trips added 4 days out and also assigned the same day. They try and be proactive. Just remember just because you are assigned flying doesn't mean you get to keep it. My trips have been pulled and my schedule has changed 4 times in a day. Reserve sucks and there are no guarantees other than what days you are on duty. That being said you won't be on reserve more than a month or 2. There were over 70 people below me by the time I finished IOE.

watch
01-14-2019, 09:33 AM
There were over 70 people below me by the time I finished IOE.

Ok- so about 20-25 folks classing up per month? What has the average been lately?

corporategypsy
01-14-2019, 09:47 AM
Ok- so about 20-25 folks classing up per month? What has the average been lately?

That's about the going rate

dead meat
01-14-2019, 09:57 AM

We were averaging about 25 per month but January will be more like 40-45 between the two classes.

watch
01-15-2019, 02:03 AM
We were averaging about 25 per month but January will be more like 40-45 between the two classes.

With 350 pilots, thatís incredible movement on the seniority list.

Reserve is going up to several months at EWR, itís hard to get more than 70 hours a month on reserve, etc. Commutair is too popular now - I missed the wave : )

watch
01-15-2019, 02:34 AM
I'm at C5.
2) I can't speak to XJET's training but, having experienced training at a top tier regional that had more money to throw at the training department than C5 and XJET combined, I have come away from C5's training feeling far more competent in my responsibilities as both an FO and future CA.

Going in I was admittedly concerned about having only three GFS lessons utilizing trainers which lack visuals and realistic controls, but I found the lessons far more rewarding mostly because the instructors were extremely competent, patient, and even fun to work with. I felt confident going into sims. Of course, I had prior experience so that obviously helped, but my sim partner did not, yet he did equally well.

Where C5 training excels beyond many carriers IMO is that they now provide 13 sims to all students out of the gate and ultimately more if you need them.

Interesting. Is this more than XJT, or Skywest? Just trying to see what 13 sims means relative to competitors

watch
01-15-2019, 03:08 AM
Any FOs on reserve at EWR- please PM me, Iíd like to chat on the phone to ask some questions if you have a chance. Any XJT FOs on reserve or at company for less than 1 year at EWR- same applies. Thanks guys and gals

watch
01-15-2019, 04:44 AM

How many pilots are on the list now. And whatís the target? 7 crews per aircraft, which Iíve told is optimal, would be 448. If they add 10 more planes, thatís 588 needed to be fully manned.

dead meat
01-15-2019, 06:55 AM
How many pilots are on the list now. And whatís the target? 7 crews per aircraft, which Iíve told is optimal, would be 448. If they add 10 more planes, thatís 588 needed to be fully manned.

Latest seniority list from January shows 362 pilots. The latest class on the list is 12/17/18 so the 40ish in January doesn't count towards that. Also, the list includes anyone on medical leave, military leave, in management positions, and people still in training so we probably only have 280-290 pilots actually flying.

C5 staffs a little lighter so 6 crews per plane is more realistic. Also remember that we should have at least 35-40 going to United in 2019 plus many others that will leave for JetBlue, Spirit, Frontier, Atlas, etc. and a few others that leave for Delta, American, and Southwest. So there will be a good amount of turnover.

I think a realistic goal is to get to 40 airplanes by the end of 2019. That would require the at least 500 on the seniority list including the people I mentioned above.

chronomaster31
01-18-2019, 04:03 AM
Also remember that we should have at least 35-40 going to United in 2019

Pardon my ignorance- is that from cpp or just normal hiring?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

dead meat
01-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Pardon my ignorance- is that from cpp or just normal hiring?

CPP. Our CPP guarantees us 10% of new hires at United, up to 10% of out seniority list. Assuming United doesn't quit hiring in 2019, we should send roughly 40 pilots via the CPP (10% of 400, which is what I think our seniority list will be able to grow to and remain at in 2019).

chronomaster31
01-18-2019, 12:15 PM
CPP. Our CPP guarantees us 10% of new hires at United, up to 10% of out seniority list. Assuming United doesn't quit hiring in 2019, we should send roughly 40 pilots via the CPP (10% of 400, which is what I think our seniority list will be able to grow to and remain at in 2019).Got it. Thanks!

flydiamond
01-18-2019, 01:57 PM
CPP. Our CPP guarantees us 10% of new hires at United, up to 10% of out seniority list. Assuming United doesn't quit hiring in 2019, we should send roughly 40 pilots via the CPP (10% of 400, which is what I think our seniority list will be able to grow to and remain at in 2019).

How does the movement from Commutair to United happen? Is it seniority based, based on when the interview at United occurred, or when the candidate reached 1000 hours?

jacburn
01-18-2019, 02:10 PM
How does the movement from Commutair to United happen? Is it seniority based, based on when the interview at United occurred, or when the candidate reached 1000 hours?
Seniority based as long as they have the 1000 hours. As soon as guys have been getting the 1000 hours or shortly after, they have been moving over to UA.

dead meat
01-18-2019, 02:27 PM

It is seniority based. But as jacburn said we don't have a ton of people that meet the requirements and are waiting in line to go. So basically as soon as people meet the requirements (1000 PIC at CommutAir and a 4 year degree) they are gone to United. But, yes, someone could jump ahead of you if they are more senior and are successful in their second interview attempt. I hope that helps.

flydiamond
01-18-2019, 04:45 PM
It is seniority based. But as jacburn said we don't have a ton of people that meet the requirements and are waiting in line to go. So basically as soon as people meet the requirements (1000 PIC at CommutAir and a 4 year degree) they are gone to United. But, yes, someone could jump ahead of you if they are more senior and are successful in their second interview attempt. I hope that helps.

Seems like this makes it a bad deal for a street captain.

dead meat
01-19-2019, 09:09 AM

I wouldn't say it is a bad deal. There are pilots that are staying at CommutAir until retirement, pilots that were unsuccessful on the Hogan/interview twice, pilots that have no desire to participate in the CPP, pilots that don't have the requirements met (mainly 4 year degree), plus plenty that go to other carriers. I think the days of someone getting hired and being at United in 2 years are gone, but 3-4 years is realistic and not bad at all.

watch
01-19-2019, 09:56 AM
When I check out Commutair on flightaware.com, it shows 7 flights. Expressjet has 36.

This morning the ratio was about the same - 6 for commutair, 31 for expressjet.

So consistently about 5 times as many airborne flights for Expressjet than there are for commutair. Of note, the seniority roster at Expressjet is about 4 times the size (1400/360 = 3.88)

1) Does this show that Expressjet pilots fly 25% more? Or is this related to longer flights?
2) Skywest has 158 flights airborne right now. Their seniority list is 12.2 times the size of Commutair, but have 22.5 times as many airplanes airborne right now. (3.14 times the size of XJT and 4.4 times as many flights).

Is Commutair flying that much less per pilot than Expressjet and Skywest? What am I missing?

Edit: I also got an offer from Skywest. So I'm trying to decide between Commutair, Expressjet, and Skywest. Keep changing my mind each day.

JuniorFO
01-19-2019, 10:36 AM
When I check out Commutair on flightaware.com, it shows 7 flights. Expressjet has 36.

This morning the ratio was about the same - 6 for commutair, 31 for expressjet.

So consistently about 5 times as many airborne flights for Expressjet than there are for commutair. Of note, the seniority roster at Expressjet is about 4 times the size (1400/360 = 3.88)

1) Does this show that Expressjet pilots fly 25% more? Or is this related to longer flights?
2) Skywest has 158 flights airborne right now. Their seniority list is 12.2 times the size of Commutair, but have 22.5 times as many airplanes airborne right now. (3.14 times the size of XJT and 4.4 times as many flights).

Is Commutair flying that much less per pilot than Expressjet and Skywest? What am I missing?

Edit: I also got an offer from Skywest. So I'm trying to decide between Commutair, Expressjet, and Skywest. Keep changing my mind each day.

You want to go to whoever has the most growth coming and who is seeing investment from a mainline carrier, that leaves you with C5 and XJT to choose. SkyWest is pretty much tapped out and is seeing upgrade and reserve times go up.

C5 is adding more 145s, for a total of like 60. They have about 32 or so 145s and definitely going through growing pains. C5 CPP is 10%.

XJT is now the highest compensated regional first year FO.
Signed contracts with United for 171 airframes over the last 1.5 years.
XJT is right under 100 145s, adding back in up to 126.
XJT is also adding a total of 20 CRJ200s .
XJT is adding 25 E175s starting in April, with rumored 25 more coming.
XJT CPP is 25%.
Way better training at XJT and way more efficient opperation.
Better contract.

I see XJT as United's Envoy, and C5 like United's Peidmont. It's your career but to me the choice is clear.

watch
01-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Thatís a great way to put it - the Envoy and Piedmont analogy. Except that Envoy is overgrown and reserve FOs are getting 20-30 hours a month. Expressjet has been shrinking but that looks like itís turning around starting soon.

JuniorFO
01-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Thatís a great way to put it - the Envoy and Piedmont analogy. Except that Envoy is overgrown and reserve FOs are getting 20-30 hours a month. Expressjet has been shrinking but that looks like itís turning around starting soon.

Right, what I mean is XJT is where Envoy was a couple years ago.

watch
01-19-2019, 05:02 PM
Right, what I mean is XJT is where Envoy was a couple years ago.

Yes, I am agreeing and emphasizing your good analogy- that should be their recruiting slogan. Never heard it that way, and while itís not quite yet true it sounds like thatís what theyíre hoping for

Blackhawk
01-20-2019, 07:31 AM
You want to go to whoever has the most growth coming and who is seeing investment from a mainline carrier, that leaves you with C5 and XJT to choose. SkyWest is pretty much tapped out and is seeing upgrade and reserve times go up.

C5 is adding more 145s, for a total of like 60. They have about 32 or so 145s and definitely going through growing pains. C5 CPP is 10%.

XJT CPP is 25%.
Better contract.

I see XJT as United's Envoy, and C5 like United's Peidmont. It's your career but to me the choice is clear.
I agree with this but would add that living in base should be a big factor between the two as it can make a substantial difference in QOL and pay.

jacburn
01-20-2019, 03:54 PM

XJT CPP is 25%.
Better contract.
Letís turn some of those statements around that you have.

C5 is moving 10% of the UA class size to UA each class. C5 is a smaller pilot group, so the 10% is moving a larger percentage of pilots to UA than xjtís 25%. (Divide the number sent to UA each month by c5 and xjtís pilot base and see who is sending a larger percentage of pilots each month.)

C5 is currently paying foís $55.50 one year after they passed their Ioe (Current contract that expires in dec that is being renegotiated and expected to be extended) otherwise $40/ hour. And c5 is paying 75 minimum hours to new hires in training a month, not 65 like xjt, so the rate is higher at xjt but c5 pays more during training.

Also, c5 pays more in new hire bonuses. I could be like jr and just stop there or I could tell you itís only $100. Since I am not a recruiter like jr, I am nice enough to have stated the down sides of our side as well.

Subodh (new xjt ceo/owner) has a history of ripping up new contracts with airlines and parking older planes so he can operate the newer planes. Only time will tell if xjt really grows or if they move to an all 175 fleet with only 25 planes or maybe 50 total if you believe jrís rumors. (I still believe there will be some 145ís as well, but the crjís will be gone. UA hates the crjís).

ďWay better trainingĒ is according to whom?

Just be very careful of the used car salesmen (recruiters) on this site that always make everything at their airline look like roses.

watch
01-21-2019, 02:54 AM
Thanks.

C5 is growing and I believe it will continue. Third year FO pay doesnít matter because by that time, you should be a captain.

XJT shows promise, but is not growing yet. They have AQP, a better contract, and higher first year pay.

I believe theyíre both great options and much better than Envoy (low flight time, long reserve, low pay), Endeavor (low flight time, backed up training and start dates), or republic (no classes for 8 months, less likelihood of being hired by one of the big 3).

The discerning factor for most with offers at both places should be: which one has a base I want to live in? For me, they both have EWR, so that makes it a tough call.

I will likely be at either one for less than a year due to my current time and experience. But if I get ďstuckĒ at one, the question as 18-24 months on property rolls around will be ďAm I glad I chose commutair because now Iím a captainĒ or ďAm I glad I chose expressjet because itís a nicer place to work and fly?Ē

v1valarob
01-21-2019, 05:00 AM
By the time you decide youíll have about 30 people senior to you at commutair that woulda been junior to you. 😂

PhantomHawk
01-21-2019, 06:03 AM
watch = calmwinds protege.

watch
01-21-2019, 07:08 AM
I canít start for couple weeks and have class dates reserved at both spots. If the decision was delaying my start date, I would have decided

v1valarob
01-21-2019, 09:48 AM
I canít start for couple weeks and have class dates reserved at both spots. If the decision was delaying my start date, I would have decided

Iím just bustiní balls. Good luck on the decision.

watch
01-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Thanks.

Here are two things I keep checking, just for info. Commutair regularly has 6-7 flights airborne, Expressjet is around 35-45. Per pilot, that's a lot more airborne planes at XJT.... am I missing something, or is this an unfair comparison in some way? I prefer a regional that flies a lot.

watch
01-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Thanks.

Here are two things I keep checking, just for info. Commutair regularly has 6-7 flights airborne, Expressjet is around 35-45. Per pilot, that's a lot more airborne planes at XJT.... am I missing something, or is this an unfair comparison in some way? I prefer a regional that flies a lot.
This is the expressjet flightaware picture.

da42pilot
01-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Thanks.

Donít confuse fleet size with productivity. Youíll fly a lot at either one, but for example, Envoy is much bigger than either of those airlines and their pilots have been sitting around on reserve a lot.

Youíll really fly a lot at either place. Thatís an easy tie between the two, other than maybe youíll get a line a little quicker at commutair.

This is speculative, but also consider the rumor of a merger between those two airlines. What would you get if you joined C5 that you would not get through XJT? A much bigger bonus and perhaps less time sitting reserve. At XJT, youíll get awesome training thatís practically personalized given our small class sizes and per my understanding, a much better contract.

Besides that, look at your commute. Does going to either one avoid commuting? If yes, in my opinion, thereís your answer. Commuting isnít the devil but it definately makes life harder. It makes it harder to fly more too!

Second, commuter policy. XJT has written rules that are pretty much industry standard but I also know enforcement is pretty lax. They get commuting is hard and A ton of people have been displaced, especially out of Atlanta and Dallas. Scheduling works with you here.

I canít speak for C5, maybe they have commuter hotels? That would be really nice.

Flyhayes
01-22-2019, 05:18 AM
We get four commuter rooms per month.

jacburn
01-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Donít confuse fleet size with productivity. Youíll fly a lot at either one, but for example, Envoy is much bigger than either of those airlines and their pilots have been sitting around on reserve a lot.

Youíll really fly a lot at either place. Thatís an easy tie between the two, other than maybe youíll get a line a little quicker at commutair.

This is speculative, but also consider the rumor of a merger between those two airlines. What would you get if you joined C5 that you would not get through XJT? A much bigger bonus and perhaps less time sitting reserve. At XJT, youíll get awesome training thatís practically personalized given our small class sizes and per my understanding, a much better contract.

Besides that, look at your commute. Does going to either one avoid commuting? If yes, in my opinion, thereís your answer. Commuting isnít the devil but it definately makes life harder. It makes it harder to fly more too!

Second, commuter policy. XJT has written rules that are pretty much industry standard but I also know enforcement is pretty lax. They get commuting is hard and A ton of people have been displaced, especially out of Atlanta and Dallas. Scheduling works with you here.

I canít speak for C5, maybe they have commuter hotels? That would be really nice.

The commuter policy is the same at each airline.

C5 was the leader for commuter rooms. We get 4 a month.

How many does xjt give each month?

watch
01-22-2019, 08:12 AM
XJT doesnít offer this benefit.

Great point for commuters, Iíll be living in domicile (EWR) so not a factor.

C5ís ready airport reserve is a pretty big negative for me- and I head reserve time is going up beyond 2 months now. Is that still true?

Living in NYC, a two hour reserve call out window at XJT seems attractive.

njd1
01-22-2019, 08:36 AM
XJT doesnít offer this benefit.

Great point for commuters, Iíll be living in domicile (EWR) so not a factor.

C5ís ready airport reserve is a pretty big negative for me- and I head reserve time is going up beyond 2 months now. Is that still true?

Living in NYC, a two hour reserve call out window at XJT seems attractive.

Reserve is up at C5 in EWR, which is not surprising given the winter flying schedule. I'm sure things will improve as we move into summer schedules in a few months, which is what matters for someone scheduling a class date now.

Supposedly you can negotiate with scheduling (or indicate your preference) to do short call if you live in base, but it is true that the vast majority of reserve is airport reserve. If coming here, assume that you will be doing airport reserve and then you won't be surprised when that's what you get.

FWIW, airport reserve is an 8 hour shift. So, theoretically, if you aren't used you go home after 8 hours...which in this business is actually a pretty short day. Short call, on the other hand, is 14 hours.

Keep in mind that unlike many other carriers at the moment, C5 actually uses its reserves, so the chance that you'll just drive to the airport and sit the full 8 hours is pretty remote. That may change in the future as the ranks swell but from what we have been told United wants us at 60 airframes, and the only reason we haven't acquired them as fast as some would like is staffing. Once we get a sufficient number of pilots aboard, the airframes will be acquired and demand will increase.

DirkDiggler
01-22-2019, 11:55 AM
A little summary of XJTs reserve rules:

Long call reserve - 12 hour call out. 10% of reserve lines must be long call.
Short call reserve - 2 hour call out. Bid line by availability start time. Currently lines with 3am,8am,12pm start times.

Airport standby - 4 hours pay 4 hours duty. Can be assigned to long call or short call. Cannot be assigned 2 consecutive days in a row, and more than 6 times in a bid month. Flight must be scheduled to depart in the standby window. If you get 6am-10am, flight scheduled for 1001am departure and see ya sucka, Iíve done that.

Will fly / no pref - pilot can elect will fly status to be assigned trips first in the bucket. Will flys get used more than no pref generally.

There is a bucket hierarchy system scheduling must follow and an aggressive pickup window for reserve to snag trips that fall over their reserve days the day before.

Reserve donít own the trip (can be stolen by line holder) until 15 hours prior to departure for long calls and 9 hours for short calls.

Floating reserve line - you allow planning to pick your line, type of call out and start time and you get 14 days off instead of 11/12.

darrylb38
01-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Reserve is up at C5 in EWR, which is not surprising given the winter flying schedule. I'm sure things will improve as we move into summer schedules in a few months, which is what matters for someone scheduling a class date now.

Supposedly you can negotiate with scheduling (or indicate your preference) to do short call if you live in base, but it is true that the vast majority of reserve is airport reserve. If coming here, assume that you will be doing airport reserve and then you won't be surprised when that's what you get.

FWIW, airport reserve is an 8 hour shift. So, theoretically, if you aren't used you go home after 8 hours...which in this business is actually a pretty short day. Short call, on the other hand, is 14 hours.

Keep in mind that unlike many other carriers at the moment, C5 actually uses its reserves, so the chance that you'll just drive to the airport and sit the full 8 hours is pretty remote. That may change in the future as the ranks swell but from what we have been told United wants us at 60 airframes, and the only reason we haven't acquired them as fast as some would like is staffing. Once we get a sufficient number of pilots aboard, the airframes will be acquired and demand will increase.

Yeah, February will be my third month of reserve here, but I've been used pretty decently on reserve. I finished IOE beginning of last month with 31 hours and I've flown another 60 since.

As far as I've experienced, I've generally gotten the reserve shifts I requested. Contract says Short Call is 12 hours instead of 14 hours.

ninerdriver
01-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Floating reserve line - you allow planning to pick your line, type of call out and start time and you get 14 days off instead of 11/12.

You guys should call that the manager's special...

Nevjets
01-22-2019, 05:55 PM
...from what we have been told United wants us at 60 airframes, and the only reason we haven't acquired them as fast as some would like is staffing. Once we get a sufficient number of pilots aboard, the airframes will be acquired and demand will increase.

Sounds like another regional that also has 145s. United wants them at 126 airframes and the only reason they haven't un-parked them as fast as some would like is staffing. Once we get a sufficient number of pilots aboard, the airframes will be acquired and demand will increase.

Nevjets
01-22-2019, 06:08 PM
A little summary of XJTs reserve rules:

Long call reserve - 12 hour call out. 10% of reserve lines must be long call.

Short call reserve - 2 hour call out. Bid line by availability start time. Currently lines with 3am,8am,12pm start times.

Airport standby - 4 hours pay 4 hours duty. Can be assigned to long call or short call. Cannot be assigned 2 consecutive days in a row, and more than 6 times in a bid month. Flight must be scheduled to depart in the standby window. If you get 6am-10am, flight scheduled for 1001am departure and see ya sucka, Iíve done that.

Will fly / no pref - pilot can elect will fly status to be assigned trips first in the bucket. Will flys get used more than no pref generally.

There is a bucket hierarchy system scheduling must follow and an aggressive pickup window for reserve to snag trips that fall over their reserve days the day before.

Reserve donít own the trip (can be stolen by line holder) until 15 hours prior to departure for long calls and 9 hours for short calls.

Just to add to this, a reserve pilot can pick up an airport standby trip, they canít assign airport reserve on the last day in a block of reserve days, they canít assign it outside your domicile, you are automatically released after four hours or 30 minutes after the last flight is airborne. In fact, after completing a reserve flying assignment, you are automatically released at block in if there isnít an assignment on your schedule by then. And if a short-call reserve pilot has not been given an assignment by 1800 LT at his domicile on his last day of reserve before a day off, he will automatically be released to his days off. Automatic release means you donít need to call crew scheduling. You simply check your schedule online at that time and if there is nothing there, you are released to domicile rest (11 hours) or days off, whichever applies.

Nevjets
01-22-2019, 06:24 PM

The commuter policy is the same at each airline.

C5 was the leader for commuter rooms. We get 4 a month.

How many does xjt give each month?

Iím not sure if the commuter policy is the same at each airline. At xjt you have two choices: if you give yourself one flight that has at least one seat (Jumpseat counts) available at your non-rev position that gets you into domicile at least 15 minutes prior to show and you donít make it, it does not count against you the first three times in a rolling 12 months. If you give yourself two flights instead, it is unlimited. By the way, as a commuter, sometimes itís also important what the sick call policy is like. At xjt, if you have a doctorís note, you can call in sick unlimitedly. I would call that unlimited commuter rooms in your own home. ;)

DirkDiggler
01-22-2019, 07:54 PM
Yeah nothing like a paid 4 day commuter sickation. Not sure why anybody would actually commute clause it. You can be feeling better a day later and rejoin the trip from your sick call if you so desire.

jacburn
01-23-2019, 07:17 AM
Yeah nothing like a paid 4 day commuter sickation. Not sure why anybody would actually commute clause it. You can be feeling better a day later and rejoin the trip from your sick call if you so desire.
Maybe some people have morals.

jacburn
01-23-2019, 07:25 AM
Iím not sure if the commuter policy is the same at each airline. At xjt you have two choices: if you give yourself one flight that has at least one seat (Jumpseat counts) available at your non-rev position that gets you into domicile at least 15 minutes prior to show and you donít make it, it does not count against you the first three times in a rolling 12 months. If you give yourself two flights instead, it is unlimited. By the way, as a commuter, sometimes itís also important what the sick call policy is like. At xjt, if you have a doctorís note, you can call in sick unlimitedly. I would call that unlimited commuter rooms in your own home. ;)

As stated earlier, both airlines are basically the same on the commuter clause. If you have no problems with morals, then you can use the sick time. We furnish 4 hotels so you can come in the night before to take care of some of that commuting problem.

Not that this will apply to Watch, but how many of those trips in EWR are commutable trips for XJT? You know, trips that start late on day 1 and finish early enough on the last day so you can catch a flight home? It used to be almost no trips at XJT were commutable for EWR, has this changed? How many of the XJT guys are having to buy hotel rooms or crash pads in EWR because of the XJT pairings and line bidding?

I am sure that the XJT union guys that get trip pulls all the time that the pilots pay for and don't really fly should have enough time to look that up and sell it on the commutair thread.

jacburn
01-23-2019, 07:28 AM
Sounds like another regional that also has 145s. United wants them at 126 airframes and the only reason they haven't un-parked them as fast as some would like is staffing. Once we get a sufficient number of pilots aboard, the airframes will be acquired and demand will increase.

When was the last 145 taken out of the desert or when was it flown to the desert at XJT? Which direction are those planes going?

We are adding aircraft at C5, not parking them.

DirkDiggler
01-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Maybe some people have morals.

Not at XJT... not what's left anyway. I personally don't need to do it as I get 21-23 days off a month with the use of our initial line improvement window anyway.

flynd94
01-23-2019, 07:40 AM
When was the last 145 taken out of the desert or when was it flown to the desert at XJT? Which direction are those planes going?

We are adding aircraft at C5, not parking them.

Shouldnít you be at UA by now? Werenít you one of the first to jump ship from Xjt to C5?

jacburn
01-23-2019, 07:49 AM
Shouldnít you be at UA by now? Werenít you one of the first to jump ship from Xjt to C5?

Yep. I have been making some extra money in the training dept. I will be there this year.

v1valarob
01-23-2019, 07:56 AM
As a commuter on reserve in EWR I've only had to purchase about 1 to 2 hotels per month on my own in EWR. I utilize on average 3 commuter rooms. I havent had to go with the crashpad route at all and most guys Ive talked to that preemptively get a crashpad in EWR end up dumping it. They dont use it nearly enough to justify the cost and its cheaper to get a hotel on your own dime if you do end up going out of pocket 3 - 4 times a month.

Nevjets
01-23-2019, 04:35 PM
As stated earlier, both airlines are basically the same on the commuter clause.

Basically the same? Ok, so what are the differences?

By the way, even if you donít use a sick call for a missed commute, you canít simply dismiss the luxury of being able to call in sick without ever worrying about attendance discipline if you always have a doctorís note. And even if you donít, you can call in sick 3 times in the last 12 months without ever hearing anything from anyone about it.

Nevjets
01-24-2019, 08:43 AM
I will likely be at either one for less than a year due to my current time and experience. But if I get ďstuckĒ at one, the question as 18-24 months on property rolls around will be ďAm I glad I chose commutair because now Iím a captainĒ or ďAm I glad I chose expressjet because itís a nicer place to work and fly?Ē

Can you expand on this? What makes you so sure you will only be there for less than a year? If that really is the case and with all other things being equal, I would go with the regional with the better contract (pay, work rules, retirement, insurance, etc).

PhantomHawk
01-24-2019, 10:25 AM
I always love flying with the guy who says ďI should be here less than a yearĒ or some other variant of the same sentiment. Itís always a sign of the competence and humility that makes a 121 flight deck operate smoothly.

#sarcasm

watch
01-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Can you expand on this? What makes you so sure you will only be there for less than a year? If that really is the case and with all other things being equal, I would go with the regional with the better contract (pay, work rules, retirement, insurance, etc).

Iím a military fixed wing pilot close to unrestricted ATP mins.

Paid2fly
01-24-2019, 08:06 PM
Iím a military fixed wing pilot close to unrestricted ATP mins.

:confused:

:eek:

:rolleyes:

chronomaster31
01-24-2019, 09:57 PM
:confused:

:eek:

:rolleyes:Isn't it great how the US has such a massive boner for the military?

watch
01-25-2019, 05:57 AM
Isn't it great how the US has such a massive boner for the military?

Sure. If you want a similar opportunity, try it yourself. After 15 years of service and flying overseas youíll be there too.

chronomaster31
01-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Sure. If you want a similar opportunity, try it yourself. After 15 years of service and flying overseas youíll be there too.Hard pass. 15 years is a long time!!

Nevjets
01-25-2019, 11:09 AM
Isn't it great how the US has such a massive boner for the military?

Whatís the downside to this?

MaxQ
01-25-2019, 03:08 PM
Whatís the downside to this?

Study history, quite a bit.

Hobbit64
01-26-2019, 11:24 AM
Study history, quite a bit.

Do tell Einstein ....
Weíre all ears.
Well, not really but give it a shot. Yell at the world and get it off your chest

watch
01-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Theyíre both still great options.

Regarding flow: Iím surprised at the low flight time, low pay, and commuting pilots are willing to take on by going to a regional with flow. What a cheap draw. I understand the attraction but damn, with the retirements in the next ten years anyone with time and competence will get hired by a major.

Commutair and Expressjet are two of the best places to go today. Im starting to lean toward expressjet because of lower reserve time and reserve is a 2 hour call out.

corporategypsy
01-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Regarding flow: Iím surprised at the low flight time, low pay, and commuting pilots are willing to take on by going to a regional with flow. What a cheap draw. I understand the attraction but damn, with the retirements in the next ten years anyone with time and competence will get hired by a major.

Commutair and Expressjet are two of the best places to go today. Im starting to lean toward expressjet because of lower reserve time and reserve is a 2 hour call out.

Avg reserve at c5 in ewr is about 2 months and they will give you short call if you request it. There are a lot of people getting it who live in base.

livetofly2123
01-27-2019, 08:44 AM
I have an interview scheduled in the upcoming days and was wondering if anyone could dm me some good info about the interview process. I have read aviation interviews, but I will be interviewing for the DIRECT entry Captain position. There doesn't seem to be many or any post in regards to how their interview went. I am mostly wondering about the technical portion of this interview since I have not flown in a few months.

watch
01-27-2019, 09:50 AM
I have an interview scheduled in the upcoming days and was wondering if anyone could dm me some good info about the interview process. I have read aviation interviews, but I will be interviewing for the DIRECT entry Captain position. There doesn't seem to be many or any post in regards to how their interview went. I am mostly wondering about the technical portion of this interview since I have not flown in a few months.

hi,

There's no need to put up the same post in multiple threads for the same airline. This is off topic and belongs elsewhere.

dera
01-27-2019, 10:57 PM
They’re both still great options.

Regarding flow: I’m surprised at the low flight time, low pay, and commuting pilots are willing to take on by going to a regional with flow. What a cheap draw. I understand the attraction but damn, with the retirements in the next ten years anyone with time and competence will get hired by a major.

Seriously? Like, really?
You don't even have a job yet, but you know which are the best places to go today? Get real man.

I'll give you an idea: Most new-to-121 pilots hired today at Envoy will have their 1000TPIC faster than their peers hired at other regionals. 1-3 months of reserve, plenty of flight time. The 145 guys have been a minority lately.
Envoy guys will have the flow in their back pocket. Right now the flow is just under 9 years with zero outside attrition. Everyone knows that's the worst case scenario - well, it's actually an impossible scenario given that there are a bunch of guys retiring before that time that haven't been counted etc. But they will be just as hireable elsewhere as others if the flow isn't working for them.

The market is good. You should try it.

Southern Fried
01-28-2019, 05:34 AM

I understand the attraction but damn, with the retirements in the next ten years anyone with time and competence will get hired by a major.

I've flown with a few former active duty and current ANG fixed wing military guys who thought the same thing. I still fly with them occasionally and they are on their 2nd or 3rd, etc year here.

Being sharp and having the requisite time doesn't mean much to an HR interviewer who is only interested in who you are as a person. They are determining whether or not you fit their culture and if you are going to help their image with the public or hurt it.

IF you get an interview, it means you meet the time and experience requirements and they don't care about that in the interview. If you match the culture and are good at TMAAT questions, you have a fighting chance at getting hired.

watch
01-28-2019, 09:49 AM
You don't even have a job yet, but you know which are the best places to go today? Get real man.

I'll give you an idea: Most new-to-121 pilots hired today at Envoy will have their 1000TPIC faster than their peers hired at other regionals. 1-3 months of reserve, plenty of flight time. The 145 guys have been a minority lately.

The market is good. You should try it.

Thanks for the input. Iím going off what my colleagues at Envoy have reported: 9 months on reserve seeing 30 hours per month.

If this is inaccurate thatís good news to me.

watch
01-28-2019, 09:56 AM
I've flown with a few former active duty and current ANG fixed wing military guys who thought the same thing. I still fly with them occasionally and they are on their 2nd or 3rd, etc year here.

Being sharp and having the requisite time doesn't mean much to an HR interviewer who is only interested in who you are as a person. They are determining whether or not you fit their culture and if you are going to help their image with the public or hurt it.

IF you get an interview, it means you meet the time and experience requirements and they don't care about that in the interview. If you match the culture and are good at TMAAT questions, you have a fighting chance at getting hired.

Thanks. Iíve had great feedback at the three interviews Iíve had and been offered three jobs.

watch
01-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Seriously? Like, really?

I'll give you an idea: Most new-to-121 pilots hired today at Envoy will have their 1000TPIC faster than their peers hired at other regionals.

Unfortunately for those pilots, if they had been at Commutair with 1000 PIC they would be heading to United shortly via the CPP.

PhantomHawk
01-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks. Iíve had great feedback at the three interviews Iíve had and been offered three jobs.

Pffft.....he means REAL interviews. Big 3, SWA, UPS, or FedEx. Of course youíve had as many offers as interviews at this level.

watch
01-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Pffft.....he means REAL interviews. Big 3, SWA, UPS, or FedEx. Of course youíve had as many offers as interviews at this level.

Thanks. You have experience interviewing at one of those? Iíd love to hear your advice if so.

Southern Fried
01-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Watch, cool your jets. Go back and read what I quoted and what I wrote in response to that.
The fact is, just because you have the requisite time and experience doesn't mean jack to a legacy. If you have good connections and tick a few of the desired boxes you might get an interview (with the requisite time and experience). You assumed too much in the post I replied to and I was trying to throw some light on what really matters. I have interviewed at United and found out how unprepared I was for the interview when I was turned down for the job (over 5 years ago). I have since learned a few things and wish nothing but success for those who want to move up. Me, I'm right where I want to be for the next few years.
Just remember that having the time and certs doesn't mean you (or any other pilot out there) will get an interview. I'm sure you have a few friends in high places and that is what will get you an interview. When you do get the interview, remember the value of humility.

flyinghedgehog
01-30-2019, 09:54 PM
Following. Let us know whether you end up deciding on C5 or XJT.

watch
01-31-2019, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the perspective SF.

Iíll let you know about my decision- I keep going back and forth. Commutair seems like the conservative choice because of current growth and low upgrade time. But doing 3-4 months of airport reserve and the lack of diverse flying make it the unexciting ďsmart but uglyĒ choice.

SpaceManX
02-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the perspective SF.

Iíll let you know about my decision- I keep going back and forth. Commutair seems like the conservative choice because of current growth and low upgrade time. But doing 3-4 months of airport reserve and the lack of diverse flying make it the unexciting ďsmart but uglyĒ choice.

XJT all day........ Just sayin

watch
02-01-2019, 11:08 AM
XJT all day........ Just sayin

Why?
Are you at XJT?

watch
02-01-2019, 11:15 AM
questions:

1) does commutair have cancellation pay
2) does commutair pay block or better?
3) people keep saying ďitís possible to work out 2-hr call out in EWR, but ready reserve is the norm.Ē Is this true, and how likely is it to get that for someone living near EWR?

corporategypsy
02-01-2019, 12:13 PM
questions:

3) people keep saying ďitís possible to work out 2-hr call out in EWR, but ready reserve is the norm.Ē Is this true, and how likely is it to get that for someone living near EWR?

1. Yes full cancel pay. If you notice early and call to be notified then no. Have to be notified after your report time.
2. Yes block or better.
3. Ewr has enough Fos that many who live here get assigned short call if they request it. You can request airport, short call, am or pm shifts and call first or call last. Some are being assigned short call after requesting airport reserve also. Airport is 8 hrs and shortcall here is 12 hrs.

Talked to an xjet captain/union rep today. Seems talks of a merger are strong there. In the end it might not matter who you pick since it will end up the same! Lol

dead meat
02-01-2019, 12:16 PM
questions:

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) It is all based on the reserve preferences you submit versus what anyone else on reserve submits. If you are the most junior reserve pilot and everyone else asks for short call, don't expect to get it. There is no way to project what people's reserve preferences will be. A lot of people commute so they submit preferences according to their commuting schedule. With you living in base you should have more flexibility in your preferences. You can see what others have submitted for preferences and submit something different to increase your chances of getting what you want.

Freebreakfast11
02-01-2019, 01:23 PM
questions:

Historically, the 2-hour callout is rarely used. While its happening a bit more now, I'd say you can't reliably get a 2-hour callout. Anticipate airport reserve every day, and if you get a 2-hour callout, consider yourself lucky.

watch
02-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks all.

Thereís a lot of movement at Commutair now. Are pilots feeling it and enjoying the seniority rise, or does the current movement not change much for the average bear?

jacburn
02-02-2019, 07:02 AM
questions:

1. / 2. XJT does not pay block or better leg by leg on days that have cancels. This is one of the reasons that I make more money at C5.

watch
02-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for the input over the past 3-4 weeks.

I think I've made my choice. Will post the results here once I've committed.

DirkDiggler
02-02-2019, 04:37 PM
1. / 2. XJT does not pay block or better leg by leg on days that have cancels. This is one of the reasons that I make more money at C5.

If your first turn of a trip cancels at C5, can you just report to base for the next leg automatically? Or do you sit airport standby?

jacburn
02-02-2019, 05:59 PM
If your first turn of a trip cancels at C5, can you just report to base for the next leg automatically? Or do you sit airport standby?

Like I said, I make more at C5 than I did at xjt.

Hou757
02-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Not at the current new pay scales at XJT. You would be making more.

DirkDiggler
02-02-2019, 06:30 PM

That doesn't answer my question. To each is own, but I favor QOL over pay any day. But apparently you can have both at XJT.

PhantomHawk
02-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Thanks. You have experience interviewing at one of those? Iíd love to hear your advice if so.

Interviewed at 2 of those, one yes and one no. I wouldnít say Iím the guy to give advice, but I can say one thing for sure. Humility and gratitude will get you a lot further than arrogance and entitlement. To answer your question about c5 or XJT.......last year, Iíd say c5. This year, Iíd say XJT. Next year......it wonít matter, because theyíll both be the same company.

njd1
02-03-2019, 04:05 AM
last year, Iíd say c5. This year, Iíd say XJT. Next year......it wonít matter, because theyíll both be the same company.

I keep hearing people talk here about a merger, but I think United is more likely to push XJTs 145s to C5 as they build up a 175 fleet at XJT and drive both companies to manage a single type. UA have already said they want C5 at 60 aircraft and I don't know of a more readily accessible (i.e. airworthy and low acquisition cost) supply of 145s than XJT.

As far as C5 vs XJT, I think C5 is a no-brainer for career progression. XJT has too many lifers getting in the way and a ridiculously high upgrade time. If your only goal is to get 1000 121 SIC and GTFO to a LCC, then sure, XJT may be a good option, but if you want PIC time sometime in the next few years C5 is your only realistic choice. Oh, and if you want to fly the 175s, good luck. Those will go to all the lifers.

PhantomHawk
02-03-2019, 04:52 AM
How long you think those 145s can even stay flying. Theyíre ooooooooold.

JediCheese
02-03-2019, 06:01 AM
Until they don't want to pay to keep them flying. American flys the -140 version (always enjoyable to see the old American Eagle tail).

There's no one cranking out 50 seat jets. So it's not like the current fleet is going to be replaced as long as there's 50 seat routes to be flown.

jacburn
02-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Not as old as the majority of the XJT CA's still at XJT.

PhantomHawk
02-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Not as old as the majority of the XJT CA's still at XJT.

Especially now that the ASA guys are fully integrated. Itís dinosaur hat-CAs galore now.

UH60driver
02-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Especially now that the ASA guys are fully integrated. Itís dinosaur hat-CAs galore now.
I read this one line over and over about XJT's CAs age. How old is old? Are they approaching the 65 yrs old rule? Eventually, they will retire and if XJT has too many CAs retiring, upgrade time should go down. I am not an airline pilot and I definitely don't know about the XJT situation with upgrades, but I am curious about this age topic.

PhantomHawk
02-03-2019, 01:02 PM
Counting on retirements to have an impact at the regional level is depressing to even consider. With XJT in particular, the upgrade time needs to be drastically shortened like yesterday. Not tomorrow, not next year......absolutely right this very second, and thatís the only way they are gonna have a chance.

UH60driver
02-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Counting on retirements to have an impact at the regional level is depressing to even consider. With XJT in particular, the upgrade time needs to be drastically shortened like yesterday. Not tomorrow, not next year......absolutely right this very second, and thatís the only way they are gonna have a chance.
I totally agree with you. No one should pin their hopes on the retirement rule at the regional level for career progression. I was just wondering what the average age is among these CAs at XJT because their age continues to come up and my understanding is that they are regional airline career CAs. Are the majority of pilots who left last year and before mostly first officers?

PhantomHawk
02-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Not really...but the CAs who have left are usually mid-level seniority. The lifers arenít necessarily OLD....just been there forever and arenít leaving. Itís gonna be a log jam for years to come.

Blackhawk
02-03-2019, 01:49 PM
I think the K4 deal helped with that. Iím not sure what the total will end up being, but somewhere between 110-150 senior pilots sighoned off.

watch
02-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Counting on retirements to have an impact at the regional level is depressing to even consider.

Well said. I agree

UH60driver
02-03-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry if I ask what might have been answered already but in this industry there seems so so much change in too little time. I don't believe everything remains the same and yesterday's answers do not reflect today. I have two friends who were hired by Envoy within a three month span. The first one got a line out of LGA within four months and the second one has been on reserve since July at LGA. Republic and Endeavor went from having IOE within a month to a wait of almost a year. It all happened within months. This industry changes so fast. Again, I am not an airline pilot and I am just trying to understand it. C5 and XJT seem like good choices.

What has been the average time for upgrade to CA for an XJT FO? I've seen some posts where the upgrades for other airlines take 1 1/2 year to three years and XJT way exceeds that. Is that normal for XJT are you guys seeing any change soon?

PhantomHawk
02-03-2019, 03:01 PM
I recommend you ask these questions on an ExpressJet thread, or Jacburn is going to get upset.

UH60driver
02-03-2019, 05:05 PM
I recommend you ask these questions on an ExpressJet thread, or Jacburn is going to get upset.
I will post it on the XJT forum thread titled the same as this one.

Flyboy68
02-28-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm glad to hear this as I have a Skype interview next week for a CQF. My only concern is being based in EWR. I've got a sister with a huge empty home in DC that I can stay with if on reserve.

Great to hear about the moral of the pilots. Working with positive and upbeat people is a big plus.

Flyboy68
02-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Why? What's the difference between a street captain getting 1000 TPIC and an FO that upgrades to CA and does the same?

Flyboy68
02-28-2019, 04:49 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, but haven't flown in about 19 years.:D

SpringLanding
03-01-2019, 01:36 AM
Why? What's the difference between a street captain getting 1000 TPIC and an FO that upgrades to CA and does the same?

In that case, the FO has been around long enough to upgrade. The street captain will be very junior compared to most other captains, which means more reserve, less seniority movement, etc, for a couple years.

JediCheese
03-01-2019, 03:16 AM
In that case, the FO has been around long enough to upgrade. The street captain will be very junior compared to most other captains, which means more reserve, less seniority movement, etc, for a couple years.

They're always welcome to not upgrade. Unlike some airlines, there is no provision to be forced to upgrade and C5 only hires FOs.

CAs off the street are always by definition junior. They could keep their seniority that they've earned elsewhere but instead are jumping ship.

c402fr8er
03-01-2019, 10:37 AM
I'm glad to hear this as I have a Skype interview next week for a CQF. My only concern is being based in EWR. I've got a sister with a huge empty home in DC that I can stay with if on reserve.

Great to hear about the moral of the pilots. Working with positive and upbeat people is a big plus.

I'm in the same boat as you, but haven't flown in about 19 years.:D

I don't know you, and I don't know your background.

But I'm going to say this with the best of intentions. Think long and hard about what you're about to do.

I am not knocking our training or our pilot group. Upgrade at a rapidly growing regional these days is no small task; your most experienced FO's will all have less than 1000 hours in type, and most are still learning their jobs. You'll be needed to mentor them from day one.

Then throw that in with not knowing the company culture, not knowing the airplane, and not knowing the seat, and not having flown in 20 years?

I have seen lots of guys get through upgrade here, coming from the right seat of a Dash to the left seat of the ERJ. I've seen more than a few street captains excel, but all were either already captains before coming here, or had extensive time in type already.

Honestly evaluate yourself before bidding upgrade during indoc. We do not have a seat lock for upgrade. There is nothing that says you cannot get hired as an FO and then bid upgrade just after finishing FO IOE, and getting a month or two on the line as an FO before going back for the short upgrade course.

I've seen too many guys overestimate their own abilities and start their return to 121 with a training failure on their PRIA.

During sim, keep in the books, even through your oral is over. Keep a solid working knowledge of the GOM. Review the expanded normal procedures in the AOM, so that you're not totally lost as to how things are going once you start IOE.

Obviously there are certain things we cannot train in the sim; ACARS usage, pacing of line operations and the dynamic environment of NY ATC being just a few. So the fewer OTHER things we have to worry about on IOE, like pacing, callouts, and flows/triggers, the better.

Nothing is more frustrating as an LCA than day one of upgrade IOE with someone who has no business in the left seat yet. Because 25 hours is not enough time to teach them how to fly a jet and how to be a captain, let alone teach them our company procedures as well.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying this to discourage you or anyone else from applying. We need qualified street captains right now if we're going to continue to grow as a company.

livetofly2123
03-01-2019, 02:39 PM
I'm going to be new to the company starting very soon as a CQF. I could be wrong but the bonus stipulations if im correct require you to bid for upgrade as soon as you get on property. So if they are looking to get the check they are being asked to upgrade as fast as possible. I do however still agree with you in terms of evaluating yourself. I personally believe im a good pilot and have around 900 hours recently as a 121 captain. I however do not have this type rating currently and even though I think I will do just fine wouldn't mind flying on the line as more of an FO than a captain initially to learn the plane a little more along with company flow on the line.

I don't know you, and I don't know your background.

But I'm going to say this with the best of intentions. Think long and hard about what you're about to do.

I am not knocking our training or our pilot group. Upgrade at a rapidly growing regional these days is no small task; your most experienced FO's will all have less than 1000 hours in type, and most are still learning their jobs. You'll be needed to mentor them from day one.

Then throw that in with not knowing the company culture, not knowing the airplane, and not knowing the seat, and not having flown in 20 years?

I have seen lots of guys get through upgrade here, coming from the right seat of a Dash to the left seat of the ERJ. I've seen more than a few street captains excel, but all were either already captains before coming here, or had extensive time in type already.

Honestly evaluate yourself before bidding upgrade during indoc. We do not have a seat lock for upgrade. There is nothing that says you cannot get hired as an FO and then bid upgrade just after finishing FO IOE, and getting a month or two on the line as an FO before going back for the short upgrade course.

I've seen too many guys overestimate their own abilities and start their return to 121 with a training failure on their PRIA.

During sim, keep in the books, even through your oral is over. Keep a solid working knowledge of the GOM. Review the expanded normal procedures in the AOM, so that you're not totally lost as to how things are going once you start IOE.

Obviously there are certain things we cannot train in the sim; ACARS usage, pacing of line operations and the dynamic environment of NY ATC being just a few. So the fewer OTHER things we have to worry about on IOE, like pacing, callouts, and flows/triggers, the better.

Nothing is more frustrating as an LCA than day one of upgrade IOE with someone who has no business in the left seat yet. Because 25 hours is not enough time to teach them how to fly a jet and how to be a captain, let alone teach them our company procedures as well.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying this to discourage you or anyone else from applying. We need qualified street captains right now if we're going to continue to grow as a company.

c402fr8er
03-01-2019, 02:53 PM
I'm going to be new to the company starting very soon as a CQF. I could be wrong but the bonus stipulations if im correct require you to bid for upgrade as soon as you get on property. So if they are looking to get the check they are being asked to upgrade as fast as possible. I do however still agree with you in terms of evaluating yourself. I personally believe im a good pilot and have around 900 hours recently as a 121 captain. I however do not have this type rating currently and even though I think I will do just fine wouldn't mind flying on the line as more of an FO than a captain initially to learn the plane a little more along with company flow on the line.

Welcome aboard.

Again, I am not trying to sound negative, but want people to come in with realistic expectations.

We do not have a formal "Street captain" course. The material will not be spoon-fed, and street captains especially will need to show individual initiative in their study habits of they want to succeed.

And, for the love of god, I'm sorry, we really don't care how you did it at your previous carrier or in your previous airline. We are aware there are weaknesses in the setup and layout of our manuals. They are being addressed.

And please don't show up on day one of IOE and immediately start telling us how much better xyz airline was. Really starts the trip off on a bad foot.

livetofly2123
03-03-2019, 07:41 PM
Welcome aboard.

Again, I am not trying to sound negative, but want people to come in with realistic expectations.

We do not have a formal "Street captain" course. The material will not be spoon-fed, and street captains especially will need to show individual initiative in their study habits of they want to succeed.

And, for the love of god, I'm sorry, we really don't care how you did it at your previous carrier or in your previous airline. We are aware there are weaknesses in the setup and layout of our manuals. They are being addressed.

And please don't show up on day one of IOE and immediately start telling us how much better xyz airline was. Really starts the trip off on a bad foot.

Not worried about self study. I like to consider myself a grownup with a very realistic understanding on what I need to do to excel.

Believe me you will not hear anything about my previous company. I wasn't impressed by them at all so here we are now with you guys. I live by the saying shut up and color unless I really have to speak up.

salhnl
05-09-2019, 02:16 PM
So we Watch who did you go with in the end? XJT or C5? ...or neither?

watch
05-13-2019, 11:07 PM
Expressjet.

Time will tell what was the correct choice. I think they are both good options. But I read that commutair new FOs were not flying as much as before. Are things looking better or worse there in the past 3 months?

corporategypsy
05-14-2019, 05:24 AM
Expressjet.

Time will tell what was the correct choice. I think they are both good options. But I read that commutair new FOs were not flying as much as before. Are things looking better or worse there in the past 3 months?
Reserve time is currently back to a month in Newark.

njd1
05-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Reserve time is currently back to a month in Newark.

I only missed a line in my second month by a couple of seniority numbers. I should have a line in my third month. So reserve in EWR is still very short. Won't call it a month for everyone -- more like 2-3, depending on whether you have any delays getting through training or IOE. I had to wait a month after my checkride to get scheduled for IOE so had I started right after the checkride I would have had 3 months reserve.

Still, 2-3 months on reserve is a joke, particularly historically speaking, so it's really a non-issue.

FrstgenAv8tr
05-18-2019, 03:27 PM
6 months at C5, 102 hours in the airplane. Consolidated with 3 days to spare. Most anyone in my class (FOís) has as is 130.

Anotherusername
05-18-2019, 05:32 PM
Fratgen..... So what's your plan? Stick it out or go elsewhere? Not sure what your post is.... A complaint or just factual. Eitherway....c5 isnt hiring ppl to sit on reserve..... So what is thier plan?

FrstgenAv8tr
05-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Just passing along current factual information, as things currently are not what they were even 6 months ago for FOís. When you do get a line, itís not uncommon for you to lose your trip and sit reserve for the purpose of a new guys IOE. They are hiring, but the airplanes are not coming, and people are sitting. Just the current state of affairs. As for my plan, I made my bed, and Iíll lay in it. Companyís plan, well above my pay grade, thus I have no idea. There was a grand plan to grow to 60 airplanes. When I signed on I was told we were adding one every three weeks. Since then, we have added two and wrecked one. 32 I believe is the current number of flying planes. Could be 33.

njd1
05-19-2019, 12:36 AM
Just passing along current factual information, as things currently are not what they were even 6 months ago for FOís. When you do get a line, itís not uncommon for you to lose your trip and sit reserve for the purpose of a new guys IOE. They are hiring, but the airplanes are not coming, and people are sitting. Just the current state of affairs. As for my plan, I made my bed, and Iíll lay in it. Companyís plan, well above my pay grade, thus I have no idea. There was a grand plan to grow to 60 airplanes. When I signed on I was told we were adding one every three weeks. Since then, we have added two and wrecked one. 32 I believe is the current number of flying planes. Could be 33.

I posted a few messages up that I assumed I would get a line for June as I was two slots away from one last month. That turned out not to be the case. I set some very reasonable preferences in the last bid, but the most significant were that I bid avoided all the line check airmen. This was recommended by a LCA, simply to avoid getting a "line" only to have most of it pulled for IOE and be back on so-called "conditional reserve". This is, of course, only a problem because of what is probably the single biggest deficiency in the contract aside from pay.

The end result of my bid for June was "impossible to meet minimum credit window"...of 70 hours. Which means that after all of the LCA related pairings were eliminated the system didn't have enough flying. There is little in open time as well for FOs. On the other hand, CAs are still rocking 200% on a regular basis.

I asked crew planning for an explanation and they told me we've hired a [email protected] of FOs and minted a lot more LCAs recently so they had to take more flying for IOE in June than expected. They said that the IOE flying should drop in July.

Looking at the data it's clear that one root cause is we're barely increasing our CA numbers. CAs are leaving almost as fast as we can mint them. And until that problem is solved we'll be limited on the number of aircraft and flying we can accept, and ultimately how quickly we get a "real" line. I will be lucky to get a "real" line for July. If that is the case I'll have been on reserve for three months excluding IOE.

That's still a drop in the bucket, both historically speaking and as compared to other carriers at the moment, but it's still disappointing given all the hype (some of which I admittedly echoed) that we had 1-2 month reserve times here. If that was the case at some point, it isn't any longer. On the upside, even the junior lines are 15-16 days off so when I get a line it should be a bit more tolerable than an 11 day off reserve bid.

If you're a CA and you want to come here, come on in -- the water's warm. FOs, be prepared for at least 3-4 months of reserve while you wait for a "real" line, and don't be suckered into thinking that you've been awarded a line in two months if you haven't bid-avoided the check airmen, because that's just a mirage.

corporategypsy
05-19-2019, 04:38 AM
Its all about timing. I sat 4.5 months of reserve but averaged 60 hrs of flying each month. I have a line with commutable trips now. There are enough street captains hired after me that I'll have a capt line as soon as I upgrade.

v1valarob
05-19-2019, 01:24 PM
The company is currently focused on hiring CAs. Ive been told through the grapevine that we are going to scale back hiring FOs as we are currently extremely FO heavy.

njd1
05-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Its all about timing. I sat 4.5 months of reserve but averaged 60 hrs of flying each month. I have a line with commutable trips now. There are enough street captains hired after me that I'll have a capt line as soon as I upgrade.

I got in before the current wave of DEC hiring, so when I'm ready for upgrade I too will leapfrog all of those guys and not only likely avoid CQF, assuming that's still a thing in the next contract, but I'll probably have a line as well.

NEDude
05-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Wow, as a former C5er, I find it funny that this is even a question. C5 and ExpressJet must be vastly different places now if this is even a question. What is the date of hire of the most senior C5er these days. Anyone still around from the BE-1900 days?

JediCheese
05-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Wow, as a former C5er, I find it funny that this is even a question. C5 and ExpressJet must be vastly different places now if this is even a question. What is the date of hire of the most senior C5er these days. Anyone still around from the BE-1900 days?

There's still a bunch of former beech drivers.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1