Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting

zipmav
01-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Just hired by Air Wisconsin. I'm retiring from the military and desire to live in Dallas after the military. Air Wisconsin doesn't fly into the DFW area. Of Air Wisconsin's domiciles, Columbia, SC is the most junior. Curious what people's thoughts are on commuting from Dallas to Columbia?

IFLYACRJ
01-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Just hired by Air Wisconsin. I'm retiring from the military and desire to live in Dallas after the military. Air Wisconsin doesn't fly into the DFW area. Of Air Wisconsin's domiciles, Columbia, SC is the most junior. Curious what people's thoughts are on commuting from Dallas to Columbia?

My advice would be to relocate closer to Columbia. I commuted for years and it was such a hassle and nightmare. Any out station base makes commuting difficult. I know longer commute and have regained my sanity. I now no longer worry about having to come in the day before and getting a hotel. Nor do I worry about getting home after Iím done. I just make a mad dash to the parking lot and jump in my car and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prex8390
01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
The long story short, out station bases like Columbia and Milwaukee are not commutable what so ever. Itís usually a 5am show and a release on day 4 after the last flight leaves. Beyond them not being commutable, the accommodations are usually a hotel that rarely offer airline discounts or befriending someone with a extra bedroom. Crash pads are almost virtually non existent. When i was ORF based, a vast majority of the crews bases there lived in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. Very very few commuters.

DarkSideMoon
01-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Terrible idea. ORD or IAD will be much easier. The way the flight schedules work in and out of CAE youíre basically going to always have to come in a day early and leave a day late. Depending on your schedule and if we can keep staffing levels up that may end up meaning you donít go home between trips at all.

ORD/IAD will have much more frequent service and the trips are usually commutable on at least one side.

Things get a little dicier if you can hold ORD reserve or CAE lineholder, depending on how much reserves are getting used you may come out ahead in CAE but itís hard to say.

rickair7777
01-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Any chance you can get hired by a regional with a DFW or TX base?

TT15
01-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Iím currently based in MKE and live in DFW...I have not had a hard time getting to MKE from either DFW or DAL. However, I always have to get a hotel the night before and sometimes have to get one at the end of the assignment. Iím trying the commute to CAE next month as I hold better seniority. AA has two direct flights to CAE from DFW but the times they are scheduled make it hard to commute in and out on the same day.

Baron56TC
01-12-2019, 03:32 PM
well i'm going have to commute from Las Vegas so we'll see how that works out. Not sure of my base yet.

tgec
02-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Potential commuter from Seattle here. At what point do I wonder, will getting a cheap apartment near the airport at MKE will be cheaper than getting a hotel every trip.
Also, anyone care to share their schedule here?

prex8390
02-19-2019, 07:44 AM
Potential commuter from Seattle here. At what point do I wonder, will getting a cheap apartment near the airport at MKE will be cheaper than getting a hotel every trip.

Commuting from Seattle to MKE sounds awful TBH. I think there is a direct flight but i doubt its more than a couple a day. Typically with outstation bases like CAE and MKE. Your first day you have a 0415-0600 show and on day 4 are done after 1800. So commute in day prior and commute day after. So losing 2 days at home. Thatís how it was when i was ORF based while I was at AW. But i lived in base. The commuters usually bailed as fast as they could for a hub base and a vast majority of pilots lived in base

WhiskyWhisky
02-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Commuting - Every Single Pilot I Know Hates His/Her Job.

Live-In-Base - Every Single Pilot I Know Loves His/Her Job.

DarkSideMoon
02-19-2019, 08:14 AM

Either you hate Seattle and should just move to MKE or you like living in Seattle and will be miserable about never spending more than a day or two at a time at home.

Most MKE schedules are a pre 7am show time on day one and a 9pm or later end time in day 4. What this means is youíll be leaving home early afternoon at latest on day 0, getting a short nights sleep wasting money in either a crash pad, apartment, or hotel, working 4 days, then spending another short night and wasting money in another crash pad, apartment, or hotel, and then fighting a bunch of other commuters for seats home out of either MKE or two legging it through ORD, all for what? A slightly quicker upgrade and some bonus money upfront?

You might be able to get creative with swapping/adding to get more contiguous time off at home and minimize your commute but thatís hardly a guarantee.

Whatís drawing you here over Compass, horizon, or SkyWest? I like working here but I would never commute from halfway across the country to start working here.

tgec
02-19-2019, 08:48 AM
Either you hate Seattle and should just move to MKE or you like living in Seattle and will be miserable about never spending more than a day or two at a time at home.

Most MKE schedules are a pre 7am show time on day one and a 9pm or later end time in day 4. What this means is youíll be leaving home early afternoon at latest on day 0, getting a short nights sleep wasting money in either a crash pad, apartment, or hotel, working 4 days, then spending another short night and wasting money in another crash pad, apartment, or hotel, and then fighting a bunch of other commuters for seats home out of either MKE or two legging it through ORD, all for what? A slightly quicker upgrade and some bonus money upfront?

You might be able to get creative with swapping/adding to get more contiguous time off at home and minimize your commute but thatís hardly a guarantee.

Whatís drawing you here over Compass, horizon, or SkyWest? I like working here but I would never commute from halfway across the country to start working here.

I appreciate your honesty and the information you shared. Both airlines in Seattle (Compass & Horizon) are wildly overstaffed (Compass never got back to me and Horizon did not interview me), and with skywest Iím getting LGA or DTW, and by the time I can get Seattle itís time to upgrade again. From what youíre saying it sounds like I should just move, and maybe occasionally ďcommute homeĒ to see family/friends. Would you agree?

DarkSideMoon
02-19-2019, 09:02 AM
I appreciate your honesty and the information you shared. Both airlines in Seattle (Compass & Horizon) are wildly overstaffed (Compass never got back to me and Horizon did not interview me), and with skywest I’m getting LGA or DTW, and by the time I can get Seattle it’s time to upgrade again. From what you’re saying it sounds like I should just move, and maybe occasionally “commute home” to see family/friends. Would you agree?

I would say at least LGA/DTW would be a one leg commute for you with likely more commutable schedules. If you did want to come here and didn’t have a lot of roots in Seattle I’d move to live in base just so you don’t drive yourself insane.

Soxfan1
02-19-2019, 12:12 PM
I appreciate your honesty and the information you shared. Both airlines in Seattle (Compass & Horizon) are wildly overstaffed (Compass never got back to me and Horizon did not interview me), and with skywest Iím getting LGA or DTW, and by the time I can get Seattle itís time to upgrade again. From what youíre saying it sounds like I should just move, and maybe occasionally ďcommute homeĒ to see family/friends. Would you agree?

The last 3 vacancies new hires went to ord and iad in small numbers in addition to mke and cae so itís not impossible to get ord out of training or within a month or two. One leg commute. Down side is you wonít upgrade there fast so you would have to move to mke at some point.

But if your goal is to upgrade fast then you need 1000 hrs fast. And you want a line ASAP. So mke is the path Iíd take. Little to no reserve as an FO, and you will sky rocket up the FO list and be able to bid high credit lines. Get you time fast and upgrade there. And Iíd move if you can.

CanWeGetTheLeft
02-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Commuting - Every Single Pilot I Know Hates His/Her Job.

Live-In-Base - Every Single Pilot I Know Loves His/Her Job.

I commute, and I love my job.

stroopwaffle
02-19-2019, 03:31 PM
I commute, and I hate every pilot that lives in base.

RJ4LIFE
02-19-2019, 05:48 PM

If you're willing to move then by all means move. Milwaukee can actually be a fun city if you move to the right area. Brady Street is full of restaurants and bars and there are nice apartments all around there. You could have a great few years living there and driving to work instead of killing yourself commuting from SEA.

RabidW0mbat
02-20-2019, 05:23 AM
Iím on reserve and live in base...itíd be hell if I commuted. That said living in base gives me a lot of flexibility to pick up open time. I credited 110 hours last month without really trying.

tgec
02-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Iím on reserve and live in base...itíd be hell if I commuted. That said living in base gives me a lot of flexibility to pick up open time. I credited 110 hours last month without really trying.
110 hrs and youíre reserve!?

DarkSideMoon
02-20-2019, 10:24 AM
110 hrs and youíre reserve!?

There are no reserves here, only surprise lineholders :D.

If youíre aggressive with picking up itís very easy to credit 110-120 a month on reserve. I think I maxed out at 156 one month.

RabidW0mbat
02-20-2019, 12:24 PM
There are no reserves here, only surprise lineholders :D.

If youíre aggressive with picking up itís very easy to credit 110-120 a month on reserve. I think I maxed out at 156 one month.
Truth. In my 3 months on the line thus far, Iíve only not been called twice...usually for at least a 2 day if not a 3 day trip. Since I live in ORD though, itís easy to pick up day trips on my off days, be gone 4-5 hours, and get paid for 8-10. (Less if itís just straight open time and not CTL).

If you come here you WILL fly.

FlywithJet
02-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. But I'm looking at being based in CAE once training is complete. Can anyone recommend a decent apartment complex or the nicer parts of town?