Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : How long for CPT upgrade ?

Baron56TC
01-12-2019, 03:01 PM
New hire, just want to know how long before I can upgrade if a FO in the CRJ and be out west? I have over 11,000 TT, over 3700 121.

MidnightHauler
01-12-2019, 04:42 PM
New hire, just want to know how long before I can upgrade if a FO in the CRJ and be out west? I have over 11,000 TT, over 3700 121.
Simply put, if you're new and upgrade on the CRJ, you won't be out west. ATL, DTW, ORD, or MSP as a captain. CRJs are pretty much moving east while E175s are taking over the west coast.

MidnightHauler
01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
To answer your question about upgrading, since you already have well over 1,000 part 121 time, you can upgrade pretty fast.

savedbythevnav
01-12-2019, 06:43 PM
You might get DTW CA in training if you really want it but you probably won’t enjoy how long you’ll be on reserve

word302
01-13-2019, 07:14 AM
You might get DTW CA in training if you really want it but you probably won’t enjoy how long you’ll be on reserve

Getting awarded upgrade while in class was a thing for only a couple months. Currently the upgrade time sits at just under 2 years. I would expect that to drop again slightly, but if you plan on the 2 year mark you won't be disappointed. It's about 3.5 years to hold CA on the west coast (FAT). SFO can be held soon after. You will be in DTW, ORD, ATL, or MSP until that point. DFW is still growing so that may be attainable pretty early as well, at least until the growth is finished.

Baron56TC
01-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Well I guess I should go with the other offer I have in the CRJ looks like I can upgrade faster there and the bases are close to the same.

amcnd
01-13-2019, 10:25 AM
I think will see Upgrade drop again to under a year this spring... (check my track record) we can discuss why in a few weeks.... but its pretty evident by looking at the current training 48 NH’s in systems, 52 in indoc, and a CTP/ATP class of 38. Right now and that continues indefinitely. And thats just the CRJ.... Add in the ERJ and that another 30+ a month. If you have the time to upgrade already, it will be quick.

word302
01-13-2019, 11:18 AM
I think will see Upgrade drop again to under a year this spring... (check my track record) we can discuss why in a few weeks.... but its pretty evident by looking at the current training 48 NH’s in systems, 52 in indoc, and a CTP/ATP class of 38. Right now and that continues indefinitely. And thats just the CRJ.... Add in the ERJ and that another 30+ a month. If you have the time to upgrade already, it will be quick.

But not on the west coast.

amcnd
01-13-2019, 12:31 PM
But not on the west coast.

Nope..............

amcnd
01-31-2019, 07:31 PM
Upgrade is back down to 1.5 years... and awards are not done yet. Im suprised at all the COS/DEN awards.

KingChicken
02-01-2019, 05:41 AM
Any idea when the award for March will finish? There are three CRJ class dates for March but I only count 42 Upgrades (including ERJ FO to CRJ CA). Shouldn’t there be another 20 in order to fill 20 per class?

amcnd
02-01-2019, 11:45 AM
They awarded more. Upgrade is now 1 year.. (DTW).

SteakSauce
02-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Also keep in mind that although you might upgrade while in NH ground school. You will still below every other FO in the system before you, meaning you'll be on reserve for a long time and you'll have to fight those of us holding out to upgrade because we don't want to go to DTW or ATL. My advice is to ride it out in the right seat for awhile, that will get you on the west coast sooner.

TimetoClimb
02-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Any idea when the award for March will finish? There are three CRJ class dates for March but I only count 42 Upgrades (including ERJ FO to CRJ CA). Shouldn’t there be another 20 in order to fill 20 per class?

The is one transition class and one upgrade class as I understand it. The transition class is composed of ERJ FO's and New Hires going through the full course, the Upgrade class of CRJ FOs going through the abbreviated course. So it doesn't work exactly as you have calculated.
There may be 2 other new hire classes doing the same material as the transition class but with different start dates.

amcnd
02-01-2019, 05:01 PM
Also keep in mind that although you might upgrade while in NH ground school. You will still below every other FO in the system before you, meaning you'll be on reserve for a long time and you'll have to fight those of us holding out to upgrade because we don't want to go to DTW or ATL. My advice is to ride it out in the right seat for awhile, that will get you on the west coast sooner.

Ya. But your building PIC and fielding calls from LLC or Majors faster... (hopefully)

SteakSauce
02-01-2019, 06:15 PM
Ya. But your building PIC and fielding calls from LLC or Majors faster... (hopefully)

Hopefully is the Key word there. Lots of guys on property are qualified and waiting for calls but they never come. I think this is more of a QWOL question reserve with min days of getting re flowed every flight or line holder with a choice of the days off you want?

TFAYD
02-01-2019, 08:52 PM

So what keeps you here then?

Utah
02-02-2019, 09:20 AM
So what keeps you here then?

I'll guess a 180K+ a year working in the training department and sleeping in his own bed every night.

word302
02-02-2019, 11:42 AM
They awarded more. Upgrade is now 1 year.. (DTW).

You sure about that? Looks like 18 months.

amcnd
02-02-2019, 12:03 PM
You sure about that? Looks like 18 months.

Ya. Looks about that. 16-18 months . Stupid CPT seniority dates skew the numbers, looks longer. the one year is after inital ioe/lc to Captain class.. my mistake

amcnd
02-02-2019, 12:05 PM
I'll guess a 180K+ a year working in the training department and sleeping in his own bed every night.

We have lost some senior sim guys. Even 220k+ home (almost) every night. Cant curb the purple apeal ;-)