Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New hire domicile chances

Jutt518
01-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Anyone know what most new hires are getting? Trying to decide what regional would be best chance to get to Atlanta quickest. Thanks

hawk21
01-12-2019, 03:37 PM
I havenít seen new hires get ATL in awhile. Plan on DTW/ORD.

Erj135dude
01-12-2019, 04:32 PM
ORD, DTW, MSP and DFW is what I've been reading lately.

KelvinHelmholtz
01-12-2019, 05:24 PM
ORD, DTW, MSP and DFW is what I've been reading lately.

Good luck commuting to any of those places from ATL. ORD would probably be the easiest.

Avionicsr
01-13-2019, 07:55 PM
What about LGA?

Sacsnapper
01-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Most jr Atlanta fo hired 9/2018

BigRedFlyer
01-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Our mid-November class got about 60% DTW, 38% ORD, and 2% SFO (I think 3 west coast guys got SFO).

thrustisamust
01-15-2019, 01:43 PM
Iíll be in the feb 19 erj class, I understand thereíll be a likelihood of LGA and if not ORD...sound right?

BigRedFlyer
01-15-2019, 03:07 PM
I should have said that I was a CRJ class. I have no idea on the E-jet domiciles, sorry.

amcnd
01-15-2019, 03:47 PM
DVR is not out yet. But its updated. Some COS/SFO/FAT/DTW/DFW/ATL/LAX is whatís posted for openings. Now how that shuffles down to a newhire is anyoneís guess.. but itís a indication of movement..

bonanza
01-16-2019, 12:54 PM
I am based in ATL and I think you could get there within 6mo of class date. One of my friends just made it to Atlanta for Feb. He had to spend 1mo on reserve at another base. Should see movement and growth going into the summer.

135tankerdriver
03-12-2019, 04:19 AM
Any idea how long it would take to be based out of Phoenix or Tucson?

Also, if you know of any other regionals that I could be domiciled out of one of the bases within a month or so of getting hired Iím all ears.

Thanks.

amcnd
03-12-2019, 05:34 AM

Also, if you know of any other regionals that I could be domiciled out of one of the bases within a month or so of getting hired Iím all ears.

Thanks.

Both PHX/TUS Around 6 months DOH. 2-3 months after IOE..

cursesRedBaron
03-12-2019, 07:35 PM
How about for CA?
Just curious....seems like the FO options aren't too bad...but, by the website, anyway - CA is going to be DTW or ORD for a long time.

Captainmarv
03-13-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm hoping for sfo or lax, but my class is in June..

Nordopilot
03-13-2019, 10:25 AM
How about for CA?
Just curious....seems like the FO options aren't too bad...but, by the website, anyway - CA is going to be DTW or ORD for a long time.

Rough numbers...
3ish years for west coast CRJ CA.
5ish years for west coast ERJ CA.

windcheck1582
03-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Thanks.

In the last year or so it has taken about a year to get to PHX from DOH. TUS cycles through the bottom two or three FOs. TUS could be attainable about a month or two before PHX. All dependent on how people upgrade or move on.

Flyboy68
03-13-2019, 02:51 PM
How about for CA?
Hey, I sent you a PM.

Is your AK experience part 121 or 135?

Tumbleweed11
03-15-2019, 03:22 PM
If not Skywest for PHX, what would be the best regional to get to this base the quickest?

amcnd
03-15-2019, 03:30 PM
If not Skywest for PHX, what would be the best regional to get to this base the quickest?

A little research would tell you that mesa and Compass have bases there..

Tumbleweed11
03-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific. I did know compass and Mesa have phx bases, but which one would be the fastest road to phx?

amcnd
03-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific. I did know compass and Mesa have phx bases, but which one would be the fastest road to phx?

Im sure that info is on there board.....

Squawkbox2012
03-16-2019, 05:57 AM
Iím sure this has been brought up before so I apologize in advance. Of course the industry changes literally every day!

How long can one expect reserve in Atlanta? How much flying out of Atlanta? Live in Houston but wat least thinking ATL will be an easier commute. IAH doesnít seem like it has much going on right now.

vdawson
03-16-2019, 06:46 AM
I am looking hard at SkyWest because I think Iíll have the best shot at a fairly easy commute. LIT has at least a half dozen flights a day to IAH, DFW, ORD and ATL. NYC and DTW would require a 2 leg commute.

What do you guys think? Surely outside of holidays there are going to be plenty of open seats to make any of these easy going in and out of LIT. And from what I hear DFW, ORD and ATL are all fairly jr. Is this going to be pretty easy or a pipe dream??

hawk21
03-16-2019, 07:30 AM
I am looking hard at SkyWest because I think Iíll have the best shot at a fairly easy commute. LIT has at least a half dozen flights a day to IAH, DFW, ORD and ATL. NYC and DTW would require a 2 leg commute.

What do you guys think? Surely outside of holidays there are going to be plenty of open seats to make any of these easy going in and out of LIT. And from what I hear DFW, ORD and ATL are all fairly jr. Is this going to be pretty easy or a pipe dream??

I would avoid commuting to ATL. In my experience it's a commuter death trap. I would go for ORD or DFW. ORD is gigantic and always has movement.

zondaracer
03-16-2019, 07:38 AM

Don't underestimate a commute, ever. I just looked at the loads for LIT-ORD on United for the past couple days. The flights are usually booked full but there have been a couple seats on every flight. I recommend being prepared to go in the jumpseat.

A weather disruption can make your commute turn into an absolute showstopper. Have a plan A, B, and C, and be prepared to man up and call off the beginning of a trip if you have to, but do it far enough in advance that they can get a reserve and keep you out of trouble. Don't make it a habit.

hawk21
03-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Don't underestimate a commute, ever. I just looked at the loads for LIT-ORD on United for the past couple days. The flights are usually booked full but there have been a couple seats on every flight. I recommend being prepared to go in the jumpseat.

Yes but the nice thing about ORD is if United is full, you can try AA. Or vice versa. Or if you're lucky you get an option on Spirit depending on where you live.

ninerdriver
03-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Yes but the nice thing about ORD is if United is full, you can try AA. Or vice versa. Or if you're lucky you get an option on Spirit depending on where you live.

This. You want a base where two or more airlines can get you to the same place.

YerOnGuard
03-19-2019, 02:48 PM
Does anybody have info on the time to be able to hold MSP base?

word302
03-20-2019, 10:06 AM
This. You want a base where two or more airlines can get you to the same place.

Meh. I commute to a small base where there is only one option. Never had an issue.

cursesRedBaron
03-20-2019, 10:44 AM
Meh. I commute to a small base where there is only one option. Never had an issue.

Of course, now that you've said that.....

ninerdriver
03-20-2019, 03:00 PM

I live in a small base with two options. I can count on one finger the number of times that I've needed a hotel in base before or after a trip. The biggest benefit is having multiple options leaving stupid early from home, so I can bid for trips that other commuters can't safely commute same-day.

A lot of pilots seem to hate commuting. Commuting isn't bad if you don't spend your days off commuting, and having two airlines makes that a lot easier.

chitolin
03-25-2019, 06:35 AM

Except when you have to Walk from B22 to L20!

hawk21
03-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Except when you have to Walk from B22 to L20!

Who cares. You've got options to get home. Get movin.

AlfredoSauce
03-28-2019, 04:30 AM
I just got hired at SKW and am trying to decide which base to bid for. Iíll be moving to wherever I get based. Any recommendations on whether I should choose ORD or MSP and why? Those are my 2 favs that are junior.

chitolin
03-28-2019, 05:32 AM
Who cares. You've got options to get home. Get movin.

Seems like youíve never done it. When the last flight out is at 8:20pm on the UA side and at 8:25pm on the AA side is a nice little run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonanza
04-01-2019, 06:13 AM
I just got hired at SKW and am trying to decide which base to bid for. Iíll be moving to wherever I get based. Any recommendations on whether I should choose ORD or MSP and why? Those are my 2 favs that are junior.

You should be able to get ORD out of training but plan on sitting reserve. The shortest wait for a line will be DTW. MSP might be 6mo to 9mo for a line now. Just my thoughts looking at where new hires are going. Should see a lot of movement in the next 6mo. Best of luck

FlyGuy21
04-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Hey all, I've seen a lot on here about ORD, MSP, and DTW. What about the west coast bases (SEA/LAX/SFO)? What aircraft do they fly at those bases? Is SEA ERJ?

Thanks!

Claxstarr
04-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Hey all, I've seen a lot on here about ORD, MSP, and DTW. What about the west coast bases (SEA/LAX/SFO)? What aircraft do they fly at those bases? Is SEA ERJ?

Thanks!

Go to Pilot Jobs Ľ SkyWest Airlines (http://www.skywest.com/pilots) and you'll see every domicile, which planes are flown there, and the seniority by base and plane.

It's updated quite frequently so that will be the best info you can get.

KevinH65
04-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Thanks!

Itís all right here...

http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs (http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs/)/

FlyGuy21
04-22-2019, 12:52 AM
Go to Pilot Jobs Ľ SkyWest Airlines (http://www.skywest.com/pilots) and you'll see every domicile, which planes are flown there, and the seniority by base and plane.

It's updated quite frequently so that will be the best info you can get.

Itís all right here...

http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs (http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs/)/

Didn't see this link, thank you!

TenaciousB
04-23-2019, 07:25 AM
Didn't see this link, thank you!

Also, consider upgrade times when considering bases, unless you are fine staying an FO for a long time. Here is the thread for you that digests those numbers from the jobs page:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/skywest/120732-upgrade-times-base-equipment.html

Jump pilot 17
04-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Looks like BOI is pretty junior, is that true?

Blackwing
04-23-2019, 12:43 PM

BOI is a maintenance base, most of not all of the trips there are not commutable. Not a good choice unless you plan on moving there or like spending money on hotels.

Jump pilot 17
04-23-2019, 03:34 PM
BOI is a maintenance base, most of not all of the trips there are not commutable. Not a good choice unless you plan on moving there or like spending money on hotels.

I would be moving there for sure if I could get BOI.

TenaciousB
04-23-2019, 03:48 PM
I would be moving there for sure if I could get BOI.

Itís actually a great base if you live there. Good chief, good SkyWest pilot community, and a nice city to live in.

word302
04-23-2019, 05:09 PM

Juniorish on the FO side. Over 5 years to get a captain slot.

Jump pilot 17
04-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Itís actually a great base if you live there. Good chief, good SkyWest pilot community, and a nice city to live in.

Good to know, thanks!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1