Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Bigdog2003
01-13-2019, 05:16 AM
I submitted my application for the pilot prep program yesterday. What can I expect now?

flyingm2
01-13-2019, 11:05 AM
You should hear back in a few weeks. I am a member of PilotPrep as well, and so far it is a great experience. Interview was mostly IFR procedures, and HR.
Best of Luck!

Bigdog2003
01-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Sweet! At about how many hours were you at when they did the interview? And did they give you some type of CJO? I figure there really isn’t anything to lose with signing up for a program like this.

flyingm2
01-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Sweet! At about how many hours were you at when they did the interview? And did they give you some type of CJO? I figure there really isn’t anything to lose with signing up for a program like this.
I was right at around 260. I just had gotten my Commercial Multi add-on.
Yes- they do give you a CJO and it does not expire (within reason). For example, I am 18 (almost 19) and they understand it will be about 2 more years for me. They don't require you to sign a contract so if you find something better than they understand, as well...
You are right, all good stuff! They also plan events in IND that they will invite you up to and will put you up in hotel/flight! Cool stuff!

Bigdog2003
01-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Good deal. I am sitting at about 270 and working on CFI. Hopefully will be taking that checkride in the next couple weeks then I will be working on the multi add on.

flyingm2
01-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Good deal. I am sitting at about 270 and working on CFI. Hopefully will be taking that checkride in the next couple weeks then I will be working on the multi add on.
Awesome! Good luck to you on that checkride. I just did mine a week ago. Best of luck, its a big checkride but definitely do-able.

SoFloFlyer
01-13-2019, 09:15 PM
I applied in early December and still haven’t heard back yet. Hopefully they get back to us soon!

Bigdog2003
01-14-2019, 03:33 AM
I applied in early December and still haven’t heard back yet. Hopefully they get back to us soon!

Have you talked to one of the “Talent Acquisition representatives” to see if they can shed some light on you application status?

SoFloFlyer
01-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Have you talked to one of the “Talent Acquisition representatives” to see if they can shed some light on you application status?

I sent a follow up email with no luck yet. I’ll give them another week or so before reaching out again.

KaiGywer
01-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Is this program more like Air Wisconsin with travel benefits and increased seniority, or like Skywest with just increased seniority?

Random Task
01-15-2019, 03:15 AM
I don't think there's any seniority advantage

SoFloFlyer
01-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Just hope that I can get into a class without waiting 9 months

Viking6
01-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Is this program more like Air Wisconsin with travel benefits and increased seniority, or like Skywest with just increased seniority?

The company cannot give you seniority. The union controls the list at Republic, and you have to hired to get on the SL. They may be able to assign increased seniority within a new hire class thought. Normally it’s by age, but not sure if that’s covered by the CBA.

Bigdog2003
01-27-2019, 02:47 PM

Any updates?Have you heard anything yet?

MrFriendly7
01-27-2019, 06:56 PM
If anyone needs help gettikg foot in door at Republic just pm me.

SoFloFlyer
01-30-2019, 04:26 PM
So, had an inside source tell me that since almost every 2019 classes are filled up, Republic is revamping both the cadet program and the pilot prep program. Everyone’s application is still on file and they will decide what to do with them.

Viking6
01-31-2019, 06:34 AM
So, had an inside source tell me that since almost every 2019 classes are filled up, Republic is revamping both the cadet program and the pilot prep program. Everyone’s application is still on file and they will decide what to do with them.

That’s probably the case, because we’re over staffed by YX metrics. They’re very selective right now, because they’ve meet the hiring quota for 2019. Do not lose pilot seniority for YX. A year of seniority is huge, and could mean the difference between upgrade or furlough!

Bigdog2003
02-20-2019, 03:10 AM
Got a call yesterday and have an interview set up for the 5th!

SoFloFlyer
02-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Got a call yesterday and have an interview set up for the 5th!

Good luck!!

When I spoke to them, I was told that they were revamping the program so everyone is on hold.

Hopefully, I hear back too!

WaveFinder
02-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Just looking for advice. I was accepted into the LIFT Academy but I’m still trying to decide if that’s what I want to do.

I do want to fly for Republic as QoL is very important to me. But I’m thinking maybe I should pay as I go for my training while also paying off previous debt and when the time comes apply for the pilot prep program and hopefully get to the same spot without the extra debt.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingDawgg
02-27-2019, 06:42 AM
I interviewed for the cadet program, in person, in late 2016. Here's what you can expect.

1) Logbook review (if in person)
2) HR Portion (Tell me a time when? Captain shows up smelling like alcohol... etc)
3) METAR/TAF (I'm a southerner and they gave me a blizzard to decode. I crapped that one up.)
4) Jepp Apch Plate
5) 20 Technical questions (what is induced drag? What is ground effect? Wingtip vortices?)
6) Questions about the company. (I asked about the recent bankruptcy. Seem interested.)

I think now you do a 20 question mini ATP written before the interview.

TheNotoriousPIC
02-27-2019, 08:24 AM
The company cannot give you seniority. The union controls the list at Republic, and you have to hired to get on the SL. They may be able to assign increased seniority within a new hire class thought. Normally it’s by age, but not sure if that’s covered by the CBA.

It is covered in the CBA, so it's not something that Republic can work around. The seniority list is governed by age, and when two applicants have the same date of birth it goes to social security number.

Viking6
02-28-2019, 06:35 AM
It is covered in the CBA, so it's not something that Republic can work around. The seniority list is governed by age, and when two applicants have the same date of birth it goes to social security number.

Agreed. Just trying to point out that the company can’t put you on the seniority list, unless they hire you as a pilot. Of course they could, but it would violate the CBA, which would result in a messy arbitration. Honestly we’re over staffed, so no need for these gimmicks.

Bigdog2003
03-04-2019, 06:20 AM
I interviewed for the cadet program, in person, in late 2016. Here's what you can expect.

2) HR Portion (Tell me a time when? Captain shows up smelling like alcohol... etc)
3) METAR/TAF (I'm a southerner and they gave me a blizzard to decode. I crapped that one up.)
4) Jepp Apch Plate
5) 20 Technical questions (what is induced drag? What is ground effect? Wingtip vortices?)
6) Questions about the company. (I asked about the recent bankruptcy. Seem interested.)

How was your experience in the program?

How long after the interview until they let you know something?

Did you look into any other cadet programs?

FlyingDawgg
03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
How was your experience in the program?

How long after the interview until they let you know something?

Did you look into any other cadet programs?

I found out the week after.

It's a great program. The college relation team is caring and treats everyone great. I got picked for the ambassador program at my university and have even worked events for Republic outside of my university. Currently, have a class date in late summer.

SoFloFlyer
03-08-2019, 07:22 PM
So, I gathered that they’re being extremely selective even with the cadets. I have CFI and no busts and graduating with an A.S. Degree in aviation this coming May. Still no call. Here’s to waiting!!!

TheWeatherman
03-09-2019, 07:24 AM
So, I gathered that they’re being extremely selective even with the cadets. I have CFI and no busts and graduating with an A.S. Degree in aviation this coming May. Still no call. Here’s to waiting!!!
Who knows. Unless there are students/instructors currently reading and posting here that can answer your questions, nobody in the current pilot group knows much about (nor really cares) what is going on with that program.

Ihavenoidea
03-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Don’t lose sleep over it! All of the recruiters are awesome people but they’re incredibly overworked and have to sort through tons of applicants. Given all of your credentials I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before you get the call, however the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Best of luck.

Bigdog2003
03-21-2019, 01:20 AM
Got the email yesterday and I was rejected. It feels like asking that girl to prom only to find out she is going with someone else..lol. I felt like my interview went very well. On the bright side is it was some good interview practice. Onward and upward!

SoFloFlyer
03-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Got the email yesterday and I was rejected. It feels like asking that girl to prom only to find out she is going with someone else..lol. I felt like my interview went very well. On the bright side is it was some good interview practice. Onward and upward!

Dang man! Wish it was different, but that’s okay. Like you said, it was good practice!

SoFloFlyer
04-15-2019, 02:36 PM

4) Jepp Apch Plate

Just out of curiosity, what would you do if the CA shows up smelling like alcohol?

Only thing I can think of is call crew scheduling.

TheWeatherman
04-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, what would you do if the CA shows up smelling like alcohol?

Only thing I can think of is call crew scheduling.
Under no circumstances let him close the cabin doors (and if you notice it before passengers are boarded, board passengers), call the Union rep not CS.

SoFloFlyer
04-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Under no circumstances let him close the cabin doors (and if you notice it before passengers are boarded, board passengers), call the Union rep not CS.

Thanks for the reply! I have my interview in two weeks so I’m trying to cross all my T’s and dot all my I’s

SoFloFlyer
04-20-2019, 08:06 PM
Got the call for an interview. Any info or tips?

Longhornmaniac8
04-21-2019, 08:54 AM
Got the call for an interview. Any info or tips?

It sounds canned, but just be yourself. If you've made it to this stage, they want to hire you. Be humble, be engaging, and ask questions. Remember, the captains that are a part of the panel are basically answering the question "would I want to fly with this guy/gal on a 4-day?"

My interview experience was a little bit different because I was the only one interviewing on that day, but it was really straightforward. I was in and out in about 1.5 hours. HR did a presentation (which normally is given to the group of interviewees), followed by the 10-minute, 20-question technical quiz (Sheppard Air made this really easy, and certainly helped give me a leg up when studying for the ATP a month later...contrary to what they say, there is a lot of overlap in the questions). After that, you don't know what you got, so don't worry about it. Then the recruiter and captain each asked interview-type questions, geared to your aviation experience. These included questions about a difficult student I taught, situations where I had to make a command decision even if it wasn't popular, reading a METAR/TAF, simple Jepp approach briefing, some really basic aerodynamics questions (what's going on if you've exceeded your critical angle of attack?), etc. Just be prepared to sell yourself. That's what those questions, particularly the HR-type questions, are designed to do.

Just be yourself. Don't over-prepare. Aviationinterviews.com is a good resource, but the questions are wildly outdated and, in my opinion, considerably more difficult than the ones they asked me back in September.

The quiz is not something to stress about. They use it as a tiebreaker if the interviewer and pilot disagree about whether to move forward with a candidate.

05Duramax
04-21-2019, 12:02 PM
I agree with everything above. I would suggest paying to get the Sheppard Air prep; they give you the quiz while they are looking over your logbooks, it was well worth the money for me because I knew I aced it so it made me more confident and therefore felt I was able to accurately show them who I am. Like stated above, they want to hire you, they are just making sure your a good human and are going to do well in the crew environment. Good luck!

IDrive175
04-21-2019, 02:47 PM
I agree with everything above. I would suggest paying to get the Sheppard Air prep; they give you the quiz while they are looking over your logbooks, it was well worth the money for me because I knew I aced it so it made me more confident and therefore felt I was able to accurately show them who I am. Like stated above, they want to hire you, they are just making sure your a good human and are going to do well in the crew environment. Good luck!

Plus, the questions come straight from the ATP written, so the time you spend studying the 800+ interview questions will be put to good use once you start preparing for ATP.

Macchi30
05-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Question.

What is the commitment length of time for the bonus and/or the FTI program? For example, if I use the FTI to pay for my multi time, how many years will I owe Republic?

SoFloFlyer
05-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Question.

What is the commitment length of time for the bonus and/or the FTI program? For example, if I use the FTI to pay for my multi time, how many years will I owe Republic?

I believe it’s along the lines of staying however long the bonus makes you stay on property for since that money is taken from you bonus money. Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I’m wrong.

Macchi30
05-02-2019, 05:26 PM
I believe it’s along the lines of staying however long the bonus makes you stay on property for since that money is taken from you bonus money. Someone with more knowledge will correct me if I’m wrong.

Any idea how long the bonus money stakes you in for?

IDrive175
05-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Any idea how long the bonus money stakes you in for?

Unless it has changed in the last few months, the bonus structure goes like this:

1st or 2nd paycheck - $1,500
Completion of IOE - $8,500
12, 18, and 24 months employed - $2,500 each

Macchi30
05-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Unless it has changed in the last few months, the bonus structure goes like this:

1st or 2nd paycheck - $1,500
Completion of IOE - $8,500
12, 18, and 24 months employed - $2,500 each

So, say you’ve worked at the company for 24 months. Then get a job somewhere else. Would you owe money?

IDrive175
05-02-2019, 07:45 PM
So, say you’ve worked at the company for 24 months. Then get a job somewhere else. Would you owe money?

In regards to FTI, I have no idea. If you don't use your bonus money for anything, you can quit whenever you want, and you just won't get whatever future bonus installments you had coming to you. Sorry I can't be any more help with FTI.

UnbeatenPath
05-02-2019, 07:59 PM

It's prorated over 2 years. If you work 2 years you pay nothing back.

Macchi30
05-03-2019, 10:09 AM
It's prorated over 2 years. If you work 2 years you pay nothing back.

Oh ok that sounds like a good deal then. That is much better than a day one bonus where you’d be forced to pay a lot back if you left

Wilfortina
05-03-2019, 11:24 AM
You do owe money if you leave, but it’s prorated. If you leave after two years you don’t have to repay.

SoFloFlyer
05-13-2019, 08:00 PM
I had an interview last week. Got the call today saying I got in! Good luck, ladies and gents!

pacificapt
05-13-2019, 09:21 PM
I had an interview last week. Got the call today saying I got in! Good luck, ladies and gents!

Have they offered a class date?

SoFloFlyer
05-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Have they offered a class date?

Nah, I’ll get one as soon as I get closer to mins

dbdevkc
05-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Nah, I’ll get one as soon as I get closer to mins

How close are you now and do you have an anticipated month of reaching the mins? And is recruiting aware of that anticipated month/date?

SoFloFlyer
05-15-2019, 09:58 PM
How close are you now and do you have an anticipated month of reaching the mins? And is recruiting aware of that anticipated month/date?

Well, the Pilot Prep Program is meant to recruit CFI with less than 1000 hours. You work close together with a recruiter (or someone from the program. Haven’t gotten all the details yet.) and every month or so, you update them with your progress. The closer you get to the mins, you let them know and they’ll try to accommodate you in the earliest class possible.

I’m a CFI with just over 300 hours. Won’t be there for awhile, but I’ll be there nonetheless.

Hope this helped!

dbdevkc
05-16-2019, 07:15 PM
I’m a CFI with just over 300 hours. Won’t be there for awhile, but I’ll be there nonetheless.

How many hours are you averaging instructing?

SoFloFlyer
05-16-2019, 08:05 PM
How many hours are you averaging instructing?

Depends on the month, but 70-80 is average

CrustyFE0089
05-28-2019, 11:30 PM
just curious do you get some kind of welcome packet or anything after the CJO?

ndawg1234
05-29-2019, 09:04 AM

They will normally send you a supplemental study guide. This contains basic aircraft information, limitations and memory items, profiles and callouts and some review question .They have just updated it and we are in the middle of updating the rest of our documents. Ask your recruiter for one, but they may be a delay while they get the latest and greatest copy to you.

SoFloFlyer
05-29-2019, 03:16 PM

Basically what ndawg1234 said. They also have some swag that they send over to you as well. Takes a little bit, but it arrives

GoJuice
05-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Aside from the Flight time initiative program and paid ATP course, are there any other benefits to this program?

TheWeatherman
05-29-2019, 06:41 PM
Aside from the Flight time initiative program and paid ATP course, are there any other benefits to this program?

ATP course is not a benefit since everybody gets it, not just cadets. Just keep in mind you will be paying a 4 figure tax bill on that course.

The biggest benefit, at least in today’s hiring environment, is that you get a class date secured soon after you reach your mins. Outside hires are having to wait 6 months to a year for a class date. So if you know for sure you want to work at Republic, I would suggest the cadet program.

IDrive175
05-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Just keep in mind you will be paying a 4 figure tax bill on that course.

FYI, per my CPA, you do not have to pay tax from that 1099 they give you. Income $4,500, expense $4,500, net result zero tax liability.

TheWeatherman
05-29-2019, 07:47 PM
FYI, per my CPA, you do not have to pay tax from that 1099 they give you. Income $4,500, expense $4,500, net result zero tax liability.

Does your CPA cover fines that result from an audit of your taxes? You better hope he does.

pacificapt
05-29-2019, 09:24 PM
Basically what ndawg1234 said. They also have some swag that they send over to you as well. Takes a little bit, but it arrives

What swag to they send? I never got anything.

GoJuice
05-30-2019, 04:37 AM
ATP course is not a benefit since everybody gets it, not just cadets. Just keep in mind you will be paying a 4 figure tax bill on that course.

The biggest benefit, at least in today’s hiring environment, is that you get a class date secured soon after you reach your mins. Outside hires are having to wait 6 months to a year for a class date. So if you know for sure you want to work at Republic, I would suggest the cadet program.

That makes more sense. For some reason i was reading it as you get the first available class date once reaching minimums AKA at least 6 months out like everyone else. Do you know how quickly you could get a class date after reaching minimums?

Viking6
05-30-2019, 11:30 AM

I’m not a CPA, but most guys are taking a tax liability with the 1099. I know this because they complain about regularly. As previously mentioned though, if your CPA is covering his work, who cares. That’s on them

SoFloFlyer
05-30-2019, 08:00 PM
What swag to they send? I never got anything.

Nothing crazy. A shirt and maybe a fleece? My buddy has the fleece. They just asked for my shirt size

SoFloFlyer
05-30-2019, 08:02 PM
That makes more sense. For some reason i was reading it as you get the first available class date once reaching minimums AKA at least 6 months out like everyone else. Do you know how quickly you could get a class date after reaching minimums?

We get priority for class dates. We just keep them informed of when we’ll be reaching ATP mins and they try to do their best to get us a class date around that time

UhOhItsTheFiveO
06-06-2019, 11:57 AM
I have a Pilot Prep interview coming up in the near future. What would be the best recommendation for study? AirlineInterviews.com? I assume the questions are probably extremely similar if not the same for an FO interview...

SoFloFlyer
06-06-2019, 03:59 PM
I have a Pilot Prep interview coming up in the near future. What would be the best recommendation for study? AirlineInterviews.com? I assume the questions are probably extremely similar if not the same for an FO interview...

Know your IFR regs.

I got asked what’s the IFR WX numbers for Vis and Ceiling.
When should you should an alternate
They’ll send you a jepp plate along with a METAR and TAF via email and you’ll read it and decide whether or not you’ll need to file an alternate and why

There’s also a lot of “what would you do...” questions and “tell me a time when...” so prepare to have good stories lined up. They’ll also ask you “why Republic” so make it genuine if you’re not (I’m sure you are though).

All in all, not too difficult. Just be yourself and make sure you ask questions and seem interested.

Good luck!

UhOhItsTheFiveO
06-07-2019, 05:51 AM
Know your IFR regs.

I got asked what’s the IFR WX numbers for Vis and Ceiling.
When should you should an alternate
They’ll send you a jepp plate along with a METAR and TAF via email and you’ll read it and decide whether or not you’ll need to file an alternate and why

There’s also a lot of “what would you do...” questions and “tell me a time when...” so prepare to have good stories lined up. They’ll also ask you “why Republic” so make it genuine if you’re not (I’m sure you are though).

All in all, not too difficult. Just be yourself and make sure you ask questions and seem interested.

Good luck!

Thanks SoFlo!