Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Bidding Tips and Tricks?

Longhornmaniac8
01-15-2019, 12:18 PM
One thing they spend a lot of time on during the first few days of Indoc is how to bid. The 3 hours they give to that topic is longer than everything else, I believe. With that said, it's obviously nowhere near enough.

Knowing how to build a schedule in Flica can make or break one's QOL, pay, etc.

I was hoping that some selfless individuals could help those of us either new to it or bad at it with some pointers, tips, tricks, etc. that have helped you along the way.

Naturally, different people have different motivations, whether it's to maximize credit, maximize days off, hold a line as quickly as possible, create commutable pairings, and so on. Within the confines of our work rules and contract, it certainly seems there are ways to maximize your schedule for whatever end goal you have, but no one really talks about how to go about doing that.

Anyone want to throw some stuff out there for discussion?

VASBYT
01-15-2019, 12:46 PM
One thing they spend a lot of time on during the first few days of Indoc is how to bid. The 3 hours they give to that topic is longer than everything else, I believe. With that said, it's obviously nowhere near enough.

I was hoping that some selfless individuals could help those of us either new to it or bad at it with some pointers, tips, tricks, etc. that have helped you along the way.

Naturally, different people have different motivations, whether it's to maximize credit, maximize days off, hold a line as quickly as possible, create commutable pairings, and so on. Within the confines of our work rules and contract, it certainly seems there are ways to maximize your schedule for whatever end goal you have, but no one really talks about how to go about doing that.

Contact your mentor, they should be able to offer you some advice. Mine did.

Jungle Jim
01-15-2019, 02:06 PM

I'll tell you that holding a line quicker is more to do with your position on the seniority list and base you're bidding in than bidding a schedule every month. Outside of that, my mentor taught me a lot of bidding tricks, cans, and cannots. There just isn't enough time in indoc to turn everyone into bidding wizards. Given that you're likely at the bottom of the pack bidding-wise, read and understand the contract especially when it comes to bidding reserve. You can select reserve preferences every month like what days you want off, what type of reserve you want (AM/PM short call, or long call), waiving certain contractual obligations like 3 day off blocks, and waiving composite reserve rules if all that is important to you. This can be important if you would rather be on a lot in a row, and off for longer blocks like I do. If you learn how to bid your reserve well, you'll find the schedule is as good as it gets for a reserve, and you'll usually get every preference you want because we're so fat on reserves right now and a lot of people don't spend the time to learn how to bid reserve well. Reserve pref bidding is a separate folder from line bidding. By the time you get off reserve, you'll probably have a pretty good grasp about how to bid a schedule well enough. It just takes practice, disappointment, and small victories.

TheWeatherman
01-15-2019, 03:23 PM
Lot of good info on facebook group. You probably won't get much on here.

planesense
01-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Lot of good info on facebook group. You probably won't get much on here.

How does one find the FB group?

TheWeatherman
01-15-2019, 03:37 PM
How does one find the FB group?
Get an invite from your mentor or a fellow pilot. By the time bidding will actually matter in your situation (which will be a long time) you will find one.

Please nobody PM me for it, I don't know any of you from a whole in the wall.

planesense
01-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Get an invite from your mentor or a fellow pilot. By the time bidding will actually matter in your situation (which will be a long time) you will find one.

Well aren't you special? Perhaps if you're not interested in helping people you "don't know from a *hole in the wall", you should just not comment.

planesense
01-15-2019, 06:05 PM

I think this is a great question. I'm with you in hoping for advice from selfless people.

TheWeatherman
01-15-2019, 06:16 PM
I think this is a great question. I'm with you in hoping for advice from selfless people.
awwe, did I hurt your feelings? Maybe they have a safe room for you in the training center you can go to.

planesense
01-15-2019, 06:28 PM
awwe, did I hurt your feelings? Maybe they have a safe room for you in the training center you can go to.

Hahaha lol... you wish you could hide behind your keyboard and wield that sort of power. You do you bro, your ignorant 20-something anonymous self isn't going to bother me.

DiamondDriver
01-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Hahaha lol... you wish you could hide behind your keyboard and wield that sort of power. You do you bro, your ignorant 20-something anonymous self isn't going to bother me.

If you are in fact older...you’re never going to survive if this is how you react to “20 somethings” poking fun at you once in awhile. After all, you will most definitely have 20 something captains. Ignore it and move on.

Out of curiosity are you moving from the left seat at PS back to the right seat?

planesense
01-16-2019, 04:24 AM
If you are in fact older...you’re never going to survive if this is how you react to “20 somethings” poking fun at you once in awhile. After all, you will most definitely have 20 something captains. Ignore it and move on.

Out of curiosity are you moving from the left seat at PS back to the right seat?

I have no problem with 20-somethings in general, and this is not “poking fun”, this is simply being arrogant. I’m pretty sure the majority of the younger captains I’ll be flying with are far more mature than this. Either way, don’t worry yourself — I will easily “survive” whatever bad attitudes I encounter.

I have nothing to do with Planesense, just a username.

VASBYT
01-16-2019, 06:12 AM
Calm down everyone. Don’t start bashing each other on a public forum. Especially about something like bidding. The point is that nobody feels comfortable sharing their tips and secrets on an open forum. Seriously? If you ask your peers to help, they will. We have a fantastic pilot group. Everyone I have met and flown with are fantastic, thus far.

If you have friends from class, I am sure someone would be willing to help you. Mine did. Or simply help yourself. I saw some great videos on youtube about Flica bidding, albeit for another airline. I got some usefull information from watching it. Our FB groups like others have said, explains a lot. We’re a team for sure, but sometimes you have to go out of your way to help yourself.

TheWeatherman
01-16-2019, 08:07 AM
I have no problem with 20-somethings in general, and this is not “poking fun”, this is simply being arrogant. I’m pretty sure the majority of the younger captains I’ll be flying with are far more mature than this. Either way, don’t worry yourself — I will easily “survive” whatever bad attitudes I encounter.

I have nothing to do with Planesense, just a username.
I think you need to take a hard look at yourself before casting stones and making ludicrous assumptions. If my little comment caused you to fly off the handle, I don't think you are going to do well in a CRM environment. Good luck, you'll need it. In the meantime hopefully you were able to find safe room where you can regain some composure and maybe a little dignity.

planesense
01-16-2019, 08:47 AM
I think you need to take a hard look at yourself before casting stones and making ludicrous assumptions. If my little comment caused you to fly off the handle, I don't think you are going to do well in a CRM environment. Good luck, you'll need it. In the meantime hopefully you were able to find safe room where you can regain some composure and maybe a little dignity.

Sir, I’m done with you. You don’t know me, so you don’t realize that you have had no negative impact on me. I’ve seen the way you interact with people, so I’m just laughing you off. I simply thought your comments were not helpful, and I see now that it was of no use to anyone for me to point that out, my bad. I will continue to seek the opinions of helpful people in this forum, and for the record, I certainly do look at as many resources as I can find on my own. I thought the aforementioned Facebook group would be one of those great resources. I’ve checked with my classmates, they don’t know about it. I have yet to be assigned a mentor. But don’t worry weatherman, I will do perfectly fine with CRM, I don’t need a safe room, and my composure and dignity are fine. As much as you would like to think otherwise, your opinion of me just doesn’t matter, regardless of how much you think of yourself.

planesense
01-16-2019, 08:54 AM
My apologies to everyone else... please continue with the original intent of this thread, and I will steer clear of any further “extra-curricular” conversation.

stabapch
01-16-2019, 09:00 AM

The absolute hell of a trip would be that one paired with a millennial captain that complains throughout every leg, who knows absolutely nothing about the outside world because the only job they’ve ever held was a CFI after their parents payed for their Riddle education.

ninerdriver
01-16-2019, 02:33 PM
The absolute hell of a trip would be that one paired with a millennial captain that complains throughout every leg, who knows absolutely nothing about the outside world because the only job they’ve ever held was a CFI after their parents payed for their Riddle education.

The best part about these folks is that they often know nothing about the inside world, either...

FlyGood
01-17-2019, 07:17 AM
We are just on a roll lately turning these threads into piles of crap.

FLTLVL410
01-17-2019, 08:13 AM
The union has a official Facebook page under Teamsters 357. Request membership and once your accepted. Feel free to ask any questions.

FLTLVL410
01-17-2019, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=FLTLVL410;2744790]The union has a official Facebook page under Teamsters 357. Request membership and once your accepted. Feel free to ask any questions.
We also have one for trip trades. This was done in an effort to make the union more accessible to its members.

FLTLVL410
01-17-2019, 08:20 AM

The page that requires invite is not the official union page it is more of a gossip and rumor page. The official union page is under teamsters and you do no need an invite for it. Just ask to be a member and they will accept you if your name matches to the information the union has. There is also a separate trip trade page as well.

planesense
01-17-2019, 10:55 AM
The union has a official Facebook page under Teamsters 357. Request membership and once your accepted. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you, really appreciate that.

Taco Cat
01-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Talk to your mentor.
On Flica there is a list of scheduling committee members, reach out to one of them, that’s what they are there for.
Once you understand how Flica works, strategically bidding is a little more fun! End of the day, it’s not rocket surgery...

TheWeatherman
01-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Thank you, really appreciate that.
lol, isn't that basically the same thing I said and it caused you to have a meltdown? I love these boards, hours of entertainment during the long sits.

MrFriendly7
01-17-2019, 05:29 PM

Thanks bud

planesense
01-17-2019, 06:07 PM
lol, isn't that basically the same thing I said and it caused you to have a meltdown? I love these boards, hours of entertainment during the long sits.

Yeah you’re right, “Don’t PM me for it, I don’t know any of you from a whole in the wall” is exactly the same as giving the name of a Facebook page to join. I just decided I don’t like you for no apparent reason lol! I must say I’m pretty entertained as well.

C37AFE
01-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Want a line quickest. Waive everything and ask for nothing

MrFriendly7
01-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Want a line quickest. Waive everything and ask for nothing

🤫 Shhhhhhhhh

stabapch
01-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Looking at the Feb awards over a few bases, I noticed quite a few FO’s given 95-99 credit hours while still maintaining 13-15 days off. Am I reading that correctly? Is that common? They also don’t appear to be that senior in base.

Viking6
01-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Looking at the Feb awards over a few bases, I noticed quite a few FO’s given 95-99 credit hours while still maintaining 13-15 days off. Am I reading that correctly? Is that common? They also don’t appear to be that senior in base.

Depending on base that’s certainly possible. It helps if you live in base, and bid the high time trips, which usually start early and end late (at least in outstations). Many complain about SAP, but it does allow you to refine your schedule, within reason.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1