Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Flying for the National Guard

FlyRy
01-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Couple questions for those in the industry. I have a CJO with United Airlines and would also like to fly for the National Guard. I was prior enlisted active duty AF and now am 30 years old looking to join the Guard as a pilot. Anyone know the age cap for a pilot position with the military, as well as any advice on when I should start applying with regard to my UAL CJO? Iíd say all advice is appreciated, however, Iíve seen the type of responses in other forums... haha

Extenda
01-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Congratulations on the CJO. We had a similar guy at my reserve unit, hired by our unit, but while waiting for OTS got hired by us airways. AF wouldnít let him delay their training so he just went to airways instead of missing out on 3 years of seniority.

AFTrainerGuy
01-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Couple questions for those in the industry. I have a CJO with United Airlines and would also like to fly for the National Guard. I was prior enlisted active duty AF and now am 30 years old looking to join the Guard as a pilot. Anyone know the age cap for a pilot position with the military, as well as any advice on when I should start applying with regard to my UAL CJO? Iíd say all advice is appreciated, however, Iíve seen the type of responses in other forums... haha

Waivers have/are being given out but it just all depends. If you havenít been picked up by a Guard unit yet, Iíd say your chances are pretty slim that youíll get that waiver. Never know until you try though.

AlphaBeta
01-19-2019, 05:21 AM

I have seen as old as 38 get a waiver. Time line from being hired by a unit and going to ots can vary but expect 6-8 months. Then another few months after that for pilot training. All in all 2-3 years before you get your wings. Guard is much easier to get the waiver. It is a great asset to have for healthcare and flexibility of schedule at times.