Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ABX Air

JET3201972
01-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Any news regarding hiring in ABX, how many classes? expansion plans etc...

mpflyboy1
01-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Any news regarding hiring in ABX, how many classes? expansion plans etc...

Really? Is this a joke? Seriously, you need to read the previous threads to understand the train wreck this company is.

johnny150
01-18-2019, 02:18 PM
The most junior captain is a 1994 hire... havenít had an upgrade class in 2 years... zero growth... over half of the pilots are on reserve.

ACMItrash
01-18-2019, 05:51 PM
There are much better places to work. Like every where.
No growth plans
No upgrades
Management that consistantly violates the contract
Management that is trying to take every meaningful work rule away
Management that has stalled for 4 years in contract negotiations
A chief pilot who denies every single grievance
Reserve life that has virtually no rules
Pilots with 20+ years leaving
Almost everyone hired in past 3 years with apps out everywhere.
Answer your question?

motorclutch
01-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Hey Soapy this is on you and your dynamic management team.
1. Your entire scheduling department left for Atlas.
2. Your attrition rate is beyond industry norms.
3. You lost another Arbitration which will effect ATSG because of your arrogance.
Get a clue dude.

Grundt
01-20-2019, 06:49 AM
Hey Soapy this is on you and your dynamic management team.
3. You lost another Arbitration which will effect ATSG because of your arrogance.
Get a clue dude.

What arbitration are you referencing?

motorclutch
01-20-2019, 07:29 AM
A bud of mine from ATI who was effected told me about it. More to come.

nitefr8dog
01-22-2019, 12:22 PM
A bud of mine from ATI who was effected told me about it. More to come.

Well? What monumental victory did we win?....don't have to bring our own toilet paper on the plane anymore? Come on spill.....I am sitting down and strapped in!

motorclutch
01-22-2019, 03:15 PM
Call me, you have my number

ACMItrash
03-03-2019, 12:35 AM
Call me, you have my number

Still no upgrades in well over a year!

Grievances at an all time high and no negotiations planned.
Any management telling potential new hires there will be a contract "soon" is a flat out lie. They have been telling new hires that for almost 3 years!

point432
03-03-2019, 06:39 AM

Any management telling potential new hires there will be a contract "soon" is a flat out lie. They have been telling new hires that for almost 3 years!

They have been talking about upgrades like it should have been done after the first of the year! At this point even if we can rebound from getting a contract, the damage that they are doing keeps getting worse. Its getting exhausting trying to tell friends and family what I do. They ask, ď what is an ABX?Ē I just tell them I haul trash. Iím sure even local garbage men get more respect than us.

People thinking about coming here, the only reason we get things that most other places get is due to OSHA and health code violations. The government has to almost force things.

Also...hope you like sitting next to the crapper when getting airlined. Yep...its probably done on purpose. If they had a seat you could buy on the toilet...they would do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JetRage
03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
February performance numbers are in. Once again ABX Air crews did an excellent job with 98.62% on time for DHL and 98.81% on time for Amazon. No delays were caused by flight crews. Here's to hoping our efforts will be recognized by our management and customers. I'm proud to be part of this team.

dogo
03-08-2019, 12:30 PM
There is no team!!! Just a plantation.

JetRage
03-08-2019, 12:55 PM
There is no team!!! Just a plantation.

If it were a plantation we wouldnt be collecting pay checks and it would be illegal to quit.

dogo
03-08-2019, 12:57 PM
You must be a new hire.

JetRage
03-08-2019, 02:06 PM
You must be a new hire.

By team I mean the pilot group. I'm not expecting the mgmt to suddenly appreciate the efforts of the pilots. I'm not that new. Soaper walked in and told me everything I needed to know about 2 years ago.

dogo
03-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Lol good. Ok now I gotcha. I hear he has stopped talking to classes.

ACMItrash
03-17-2019, 12:40 AM
Lol good. Ok now I gotcha. I hear he has stopped talking to classes.

He stopped talking because everytime he opened his mouth 5 more pilots quit! His constant drival of needing to be the cheapest in the industry so he gets his bonus was getting old!

forrealyall
03-17-2019, 03:06 AM
He stopped talking because everytime he opened his mouth 5 more pilots quit! His constant drival of needing to be the cheapest in the industry so he gets his bonus was getting old!

According to the story I heard, the FAA told him to knock it off because he was disrupting the learning environment.

ACMItrash
03-17-2019, 03:42 AM
According to the story I heard, the FAA told him to knock it off because he was disrupting the learning environment.

About the only thing pilots learned was soap scum is a hibitual liar!

ACMItrash
04-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Wow 2 upgrades announced 2...100 more Fos to go with no airplanes scheduled for delivery!

point432
04-10-2019, 03:22 AM
Wow 2 upgrades announced 2...100 more Fos to go with no airplanes scheduled for delivery!

I think they need to be upgrading more than just 2 a month from now until August. Captains cycle through the FIFO twice as hard as FOs. The Company is so behind the curve, we are hiring for attrition that happened months ago. Canít wait to see the grand plan for ILN. We need to upgrade like 4-6 a month and run a class of 10 FOs from now until the end of the year.

Reactivity
04-10-2019, 09:33 AM
I think they need to be upgrading more than just 2 a month from now until August. Captains cycle through the FIFO twice as hard as FOs. The Company is so behind the curve, we are hiring for attrition that happened months ago. Canít wait to see the grand plan for ILN. We need to upgrade like 4-6 a month and run a class of 10 FOs from now until the end of the year.

I was expecting more. This is purely conjecture, but given 99 FOs on the May bid qual list vs. 111 captains, I'm guessing they don't want to drain the FO list any more than that until they start getting FOs on line. You get the lists too unbalanced and you run into a situation where you not only don't have any FOs to junior man, but you can't junior man check airmen to the right seat either because they're busy training new FOs. It's the old conundrum - fish or cut bait?

point432
04-12-2019, 11:28 AM
https://apnews.com/d08389779b2e407d85b29a887961c5aa

ACMItrash
05-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Bold prediction. ABX lied to 5 more suspecting potential new hires telling them ABX will have a contract "soon"

flyfranz
05-18-2019, 01:32 AM
The good news is that this could be a good diet for some. I came in to do a JFK turn. 04:45 showtime. Hotel restaurant is closed. Cafeteria is closed. No catering on the airplane, and youíre working till 12:20.

point432
05-18-2019, 05:22 AM
The good news is that this could be a good diet for some. I came in to do a JFK turn. 04:45 showtime. Hotel restaurant is closed. Cafeteria is closed. No catering on the airplane, and youíre working till 12:20.

And no NDO either, right? But wait, why didnít you just use the vending machines?

nitefr8dog
05-18-2019, 07:48 AM

Since domestic catering was never negotiated in the current contract we are operating under....you are probably not going to suddenly start seeing it. Just like paying for our hotels in domicile....home based was not negotiated. We took pay instead. At the time and for the next 8 or so years ABX was the highest paid ACMI operator anywhere. It's all negotiable...we could eat surf and turf on every leg if we accept work rules and retirement/disability like the other ACMI's have. Be home based too! Tell your union what you MUST have and are willing to settle for.

flyfranz
05-19-2019, 04:58 PM
I try to eat healthy. There ainít much of that in the vending machine. I usually have protein bars in my bag. This never happens when u have bars in your bag
Iím ok without catering when there are options. At 4:45 am with the cafeteria closed, it sucked. .
I donít need home basing. Iíd prefer the added $17,000 in my 401K

ACMItrash
05-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Could this be ABX new hire list for seeking new hires?
Come to ABX there is 50% chance you will have a better job in less than 3 years!
There is a 70% chance you might get a 767 type!
Why go to a regional for a $40,000 signing bonus when that's what you will make here your first year!
12 hours of ready reserve in CVG is what you need this summer!
Jr Manning is picking back up, your home life will suffer but you will get to see the world in the middle of the night working 20 days in a row!

You get to work for some of the highest paid management in the world who took deep concessions from the pilots and never gave it back!
You get to work for a guy who loves to threaten your career everyday!

What a swell place.

flyfranz
05-28-2019, 07:48 AM
I just landed in LA. 317 is down for maintenance. I guess itís been having mechanical issues for over a week. Now theyíve found what sounds like corrosion in the belly. We donít have a backup aircraft to cover the run. Itís only a matter of time before we lose the Aeromex contract.
This place is shrinking while everyone else is expanding. This is not where you want to come/stay.

abxflyr
05-28-2019, 09:38 AM
They can cover it...if they want to. There are spare -200 tails (of course, it impacts payload) if needed. Aeromex doesn't really pay well contractually speaking, so they don't pony for a spare a/c. They have a willingness ($ speaking) to accept mechanical delay or cancellation vs a dedicated spare.

ABX will fix it; they always do..even with some delay. Press on with that 98% luv and no new agreement :rolleyes:

Makinitup
05-28-2019, 10:49 AM
I just landed in LA. 317 is down for maintenance. I guess itís been having mechanical issues for over a week. Now theyíve found what sounds like corrosion in the belly. We donít have a backup aircraft to cover the run. Itís only a matter of time before we lose the Aeromex contract.
This place is shrinking while everyone else is expanding. This is not where you want to come/stay.

Yep ABX is the only airline that has mechanical and corrosion issues on their aircraft. As another poster says Aeromex doesnít pay for a standby aircraft so enjoy the longer layover.
Shoot go out and celebrate your 3rd year anniversary as you tell others they shouldnít stay.

wjcandee
05-28-2019, 05:46 PM
I just landed in LA. 317 is down for maintenance. I guess it’s been having mechanical issues for over a week. Now they’ve found what sounds like corrosion in the belly. We don’t have a backup aircraft to cover the run.

Aren't they going to use 740 to cover it? (Obviously, 740 is not a -300.)

wjcandee
05-29-2019, 01:42 AM
Aren't they going to use 740 to cover it? (Obviously, 740 is not a -300.)

Answering my own question, yes they are: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N740AX

Even left a few minutes earlier than usual. So much for getting to enjoy LA...

flyfranz
05-29-2019, 06:45 PM
Yep ABX is the only airline that has mechanical and corrosion issues on their aircraft. As another poster says Aeromex doesnít pay for a standby aircraft so enjoy the longer layover.
Shoot go out and celebrate your 3rd year anniversary as you tell others they shouldnít stay.
Iím looking for employment just like everyone else should be. But maybe you can tell me why I shouldnít tell everyone to leave? This place is toxic. Management hates the pilots. The union hates management. In 30 years Iíve never worked for a company like this. And I worked in Africa!
I should have known when I got hired here, and they refused to put us in CASS, that coming here was a mistake. ATI next door in training had CASS.
My first email from the CP was after Iíd been on the road for over a month straight. I thought it was an atta boy for helping out. Nope! I had filled out an engine monitoring page wrong. The beatings will continue till morale improves. Thanks for helping us out Franz...
Donít even get me started on HR.
Seriously though. Why should anyone stay or come here?

point432
05-29-2019, 07:19 PM
Iím looking for employment just like everyone else should be. But maybe you can tell me why I shouldnít tell everyone to leave? This place is toxic. Management hates the pilots. The union hates management. In 30 years Iíve never worked for a company like this. And I worked in Africa!

I should have known when I got hired here, and they refused to put us in CASS, that coming here was a mistake. ATI next door in training had CASS.

My first email from the CP was after Iíd been on the road for over a month straight. I thought it was an atta boy for helping out. Nope! I had filled out an engine monitoring page wrong. The beatings will continue till morale improves. Thanks for helping us out Franz...

Funny how the biggest day to day worry could be filling out paperwork. Not crashing into a mountain or flying tired...paperwork. You need to make sure Delta has all the info they need. Problem would be solved if they had someone to audit non-punitively. Why? Its easier to blame the tired person than accept the flaws of being human.

4runner
05-29-2019, 09:21 PM

Maybe to hit on a certain senior managers wife like every other pilot? Give her a go. You knowwwwww, the old in and out. Turn it up to 11, because every other airline only goes to 10. Where do you go from there? Thereís nowhere...

flyfranz
05-29-2019, 11:47 PM
Funny how the biggest day to day worry could be filling out paperwork. Not crashing into a mountain or flying tired...paperwork. You need to make sure Delta has all the info they need. Problem would be solved if they had someone to audit non-punitively. Why? Its easier to blame the tired person than accept the flaws of being human.

I was probably fatigued and thatís why the sheet was filled out incorrectly.
My second conversation with the CP was about a month or two after. He demanded an apology for the tone of voice in an email. That was a new one for me. I didnít know emails had a voice. It didnít when it left my computer so someone in the office must have added it.
The 3rd conversation they demanded to know why I went to the doctor on my days off.
I can keep going. Especially about the HR department here.

point432
05-30-2019, 02:43 AM
I was probably fatigued and thatís why the sheet was filled out incorrectly.

My second conversation with the CP was about a month or two after. He demanded an apology for the tone of voice in an email. That was a new one for me. I didnít know emails had a voice. It didnít when it left my computer so someone in the office must have added it.

The 3rd conversation they demanded to know why I went to the doctor on my days off.

I can keep going. Especially about the HR department here.

Thats the problem with email and texting, it has no voice. Sometimes itís just better to call.

dogo
05-30-2019, 04:01 AM
The chief pilot is a spineless brain trust. Iíve never seen an original thought from this guy. Picked by the best.

Makinitup
05-30-2019, 08:20 AM
I’m looking for employment just like everyone else should be. But maybe you can tell me why I shouldn’t tell everyone to leave? This place is toxic. Management hates the pilots. The union hates management. In 30 years I’ve never worked for a company like this. And I worked in Africa!
My first email from the CP was after I’d been on the road for over a month straight. I thought it was an atta boy for helping out. Nope! I had filled out an engine monitoring page wrong. The beatings will continue till morale improves. Thanks for helping us out Franz...
Don’t even get me started on HR.

Emails for paperwork corrections pretty well stopped when a certain FED was removed from our group. He was creating havoc with everything he touched. Ask the Captains why they put check marks on every page of NOTAMs. You could also follow the lead of a few and don’t turn in anything so then they can never find an error.

As for still being here, you have posted that no one should come here and for those here to leave starting shortly after you came here. All I’m saying is if its that bad take whatever comes along and be happy. Staying here until you get an offer from your dream airline might just take you to retirement at ABX. The few at ABX who are not out looking either have issues in their past and can’t, are getting close to retirement, or, and counter to your feelings, actually enjoy working here.

ACMItrash
05-31-2019, 01:52 PM
After listening to the union conference call same old song and dance no further closer to a contract. It's been 2 years ago when Soapy took over. I guess they've still only agreed to one definition in that time.

It appears soapy doesn't have the ability to spend any money. There is one Theory floating around soapy is trying real hard to be an atsg board member and wants to show his bosses how he can manhandle the Union by trying to deliver a substandard contract.

dogo
05-31-2019, 02:31 PM
Soapy is a tool!

Sevenfourcapt
06-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Was it someone at ABX that's planning the thanksgiving week wildcat strike or someome from one of the other ATSG carriers?

We are all 4 it!!

MarkThyme
06-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Was it someone at ABX that's planning the thanksgiving week wildcat strike or someome from one of the other ATSG carriers?

We are all 4 it!!

You're trolling too fast to have any hope of catching anything.

nitefr8dog
06-05-2019, 11:00 AM

We are all 4 it!!
It was ABX management.....

ACMItrash
07-18-2019, 03:33 PM
ATSG
Always Ten Short ........help fill in the G ....
G=

Riverside
07-19-2019, 04:35 AM
ATSG
Always Ten Short ........help fill in the G ....
G=

Get a hobby.

flyfranz
07-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Looks like we just the Aeromex contract. I canít remember the last time we had good news here. My resume is now going out weekly, I guess I must still be too low on total time. Because, so far no responses.

wjcandee
07-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Well Amazon flying is up significantly. Often, well more than six 767 200s flying at the same time for Amazon. The extra flying and higher tempo is picking up the slack in the older aircraft fleet.

MarkThyme
07-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Looks like we just the Aeromex contract. I can’t remember the last time we had good news here. My resume is now going out weekly, I guess I must still be too low on total time. Because, so far no responses.

I don't know that it was lost (assuming that was the word you omitted) so much as significantly underbid by a 36th Street bottom feeder for a contract that already didn't pay that well and that a sizable number of pilots preferred to avoid flying - or at the very least, they enjoyed complaining about it.

Contracts will come and go. That's the world that ACMI is. I'm sure if we acceded to Soaper's contract demands, the company could have lowered their bid enough to keep it (and we would have a contract already). But I'm pretty sure neither one of us really wants to company to go that route.

As for the rest, Southern will hire you tomorrow if you can correctly identify a 737 at least 3 times out of 5, and Omni is taking applications now. It's a heck of a deal - you don't even have to change unions! And with Omni, you also get to keep the same corporate overlords!

Asiabound
07-31-2019, 10:23 AM
I don't know that it was lost (assuming that was the word you omitted) so much as significantly underbid by a 36th Street bottom feeder for a contract that already didn't pay that well and that a sizable number of pilots preferred to avoid flying - or at the very least, they enjoyed complaining about it.

Contracts will come and go. That's the world that ACMI is. I'm sure if we acceded to Soaper's contract demands, the company could have lowered their bid enough to keep it (and we would have a contract already). But I'm pretty sure neither one of us really wants to company to go that route.

As for the rest, Southern will hire you tomorrow if you can correctly identify a 737 at least 3 times out of 5, and Omni is taking applications now.

How flexible are they about the 3 of 5 thing? Lol

flyfranz
08-01-2019, 06:52 AM

As for the rest, Southern will hire you tomorrow if you can correctly identify a 737 at least 3 times out of 5, and Omni is taking applications now. It's a heck of a deal - you don't even have to change unions! And with Omni, you also get to keep the same corporate overlords!

Yea. ďLostĒ was the word omitted. Donít drink and post.

nitefr8dog
08-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Yea. ďLostĒ was the word omitted. Donít drink and post.
It will be back....they under bid ABX after UPS threw them off the ramp for horible performance and mechanicals.

flyfranz
08-02-2019, 04:54 AM
Who got it?

wjcandee
08-02-2019, 09:08 AM
There's pretty much only 1 36th Street bottom feeder that flies 767s but which no longer flies for UPS.

MarkThyme
08-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Who got it?

21Air is what I heard.

MarkThyme
08-02-2019, 09:10 AM
It will be back....they under bid ABX after UPS threw them off the ramp for horible performance and mechanicals.

I admire your optimism.

Bungalow
08-02-2019, 10:20 AM

I admired the optimism as well. Now for some realism, ABX days are numbered
Better put your money where your mouth is, get out and find another job.

Pretty much whatíve been told to prospective new hires.

nitefr8dog
08-02-2019, 10:38 AM
I admired the optimism as well. Now for some realism, ABX days are numbered

Pretty much whatíve been told to prospective new hires.
Not so much....I am flying with a new hire now.

Bungalow
08-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Not so much....I am flying with a new hire now.

Hum...Brave soul. Disregard the sage guidance offered in this forum at your own peril.
You must advice him to quit immediately, before the damage to his career becomes irreversible.

MarkThyme
08-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Now for some realism, ABX days are numbered

Do you know how long I've been hearing that now? Because I'm really curious what the number is at this point. I've heard a couple of estimates in my time at ABX. We're well beyond all of them.

But please, don't let me discourage you from finding the exit.

This is not to say that I don't have my own applications floating around out there, because there are better opportunities available if you can get the right person's attention. But I'm also not as pessimistic as some of the local denizens.

nitefr8dog
08-03-2019, 06:46 AM
Hum...Brave soul. Disregard the sage guidance offered in this forum at your own peril.
You must advice him to quit immediately, before the damage to his career becomes irreversible.
Lol...that's funny.

wjcandee
08-06-2019, 05:55 PM
21Air is what I heard.

21Air flew both of its aircraft, N999YV and N881YV, to BQK two weeks ago, where it seemed plausible that maybe they were gonna get a little badly-needed work done at Stambaugh, in anticipation of this new rumoured contract, stolen from ABX.

However, it now appears that N999YV was just sold to Cargojet by its owner, who leases it to 21Air. Could it soldier on with 21Air for a little while before going to Cargojet, and thus the sale doesn't refute the rumour? Sure. And Cargojet only confirmed the acquisition of the one aircraft, so maybe 21Air could try to serve Aeromex with a single aircraft.

But the fact that Stambaugh used to work on Cargojet's 727s and 757s makes me wonder whether both 21Air 767-200s will end up in Canada in the not-too-distant future. 21Air could do the contract with an aircraft leased from someone else, I guess, but perhaps the contract was lost to a different bottom-feeder, or the plan fell through?

nitefr8dog
08-06-2019, 06:44 PM
21Air flew both of its aircraft, N999YV and N881YV, to BQK two weeks ago, where it seemed plausible that maybe they were gonna get a little badly-needed work done at Stambaugh, in anticipation of this new rumoured contract, stolen from ABX.

However, it now appears that N999YV was just sold to Cargojet by its owner, who leases it to 21Air. Could it soldier on with 21Air for a little while before going to Cargojet, and thus the sale doesn't refute the rumour? Sure. And Cargojet only confirmed the acquisition of the one aircraft, so maybe 21Air could try to serve Aeromex with a single aircraft.

But the fact that Stambaugh used to work on Cargojet's 727s and 757s makes me wonder whether both 21Air 767-200s will end up in Canada in the not-too-distant future. 21Air could do the contract with an aircraft leased from someone else, I guess, but perhaps the contract was lost to a different bottom-feeder, or the plan fell through?
Hete will lease them aircraft to do the ex ABX flying...that's been the pattern.

wjcandee
08-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Hete will lease them aircraft to do the ex ABX flying...that's been the pattern.

I know that was just intended to be a snark at Hete, but actually Hete doesn't have many 767-200s to lease out these days, since ABX is getting more Amazon flying than it can realistically do reliably with the 6 dry-leased aircraft.

Fortunately, Hete isn't the only game in town when it comes to leasing 767 cargo aircraft.

I know many of you guys hate Amazon and everything, but it's some steady business that isn't going anywhere if it gets done reliably, and ABX is handling that ILN work like the Express carrier it used to be.

I was actually thinking that maybe Cargojet was going to take the Aeromex contract from ABX like it did that DHL route from CVG to South America.

nitefr8dog
08-06-2019, 07:36 PM
I know that was just intended to be a snark at Hete, but actually Hete doesn't have many 767-200s to lease out these days, since ABX is getting more Amazon flying than it can realistically do reliably with the 6 dry-leased aircraft.

Fortunately, Hete isn't the only game in town when it comes to leasing 767 cargo aircraft.

I know many of you guys hate Amazon and everything, but it's some steady business that isn't going anywhere if it gets done reliably, and ABX is handling that ILN work like the Express carrier it used to be.

I was actually thinking that maybe Cargojet was going to take the Aeromex contract from ABX like it did that DHL route from CVG to South America.
Atlas will file bankruptcy soon and Bezos will buy all their aircraft and not need ABX or ATI.

wjcandee
08-06-2019, 08:36 PM
Atlas will file bankruptcy soon and Bezos will buy all their aircraft and not need ABX or ATI.

😀 Like Bezos has the slightest idea about who Amazon Air contracts with.

I'm sure Dave Clark wants to be the first Amazon division head to have unionized employees. Contracting with independent airlines is worth it to him if only not to have to deal directly with moody, pesky pilots.

nitefr8dog
08-07-2019, 04:12 AM
😀 Like Bezos has the slightest idea about who Amazon Air contracts with.

I'm sure Dave Clark wants to be the first Amazon division head to have unionized employees. Contracting with independent airlines is worth it to him if only not to have to deal directly with moody, pesky pilots.
Doesn't matter who has the slightest idea....the outcome will be the same. All choreographed to coincide with the new hub opening.

Cancelpush
08-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Just received a job offer from Abex. Was told by the chief pilot upgrade time is five years? Any truth to this? They did not give much information on the schedule? How long are people sitting on reserve? Thank you

GR(@)

abxflyr
08-08-2019, 08:54 AM
It will be an absolute mistake to accept a position at ABX at this time. There are many, many threads and posts within other threads about the present state of the airline. With so many other opportunities (yes...including ATI), do yourself justice and wait for another call from elsewhere.

Regardless....to answer your questions.

- Upgrade: Presently hanging around 22-23 years (1996 hire date). It will eventually get to lower seniority numbers. 5 years is a pure guess at best.

- Reserve: Going by straight seniority (assuming everyone who can hold a line actually does)...F/O reserve would start at a hire date of Dec' 2016. So you would sit reserve for a long time.

- Schedule: Always complex to fully explain. In short, you work 17 days a month. Can be in a single shot, broken in 2 or 3 blocks. Never less than 3 days off in a row during mid-month.

I hope this helps you and any others in making informed decisions.

dogo
08-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Regarding your job offer: donít do it! Management is hostile toward labor. Our president Soaper even threatens to shut the place down. Union is powerless. Run away very fast.

Reactivity
08-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Just received a job offer from Abex. Was told by the chief pilot upgrade time is five years? Any truth to this? They did not give much information on the schedule? How long are people sitting on reserve?

The first thing I'll say is that if you have an offer from almost anywhere else, you should take it. There really isn't anything at ABX that would make it better than any regional job at this point. It isn't going to move you toward whatever goals you have any faster, and it really isn't a great prospect as a career destination today.

That said, if you need to go somewhere and this is the only option you have at the moment, then I'll add a little bit to what abxflyr gave you.

Probably the first thing you need to know is that getting an offer from ABX is no kind of major achievement today. The company has been in a hiring mode for some time, partly because they are unable to hire in any significant numbers. There have been many no-shows for classes and many dropouts in the first week of training. As the company has lowered its standards for who is hired, there have been a shocking (to me, anyway) number of training washouts. IOE used to be 25 hours. It is now 50 hours, and I've heard stories of some going beyond 60 hours and still not getting it. So if you want to take the offer, you first need to make a serious assessment of your flying skills. You need to be willing to learn new procedures, flows, profiles, and callouts, and put them all together - first in the simulator and then in the airplane. These guys are serious about this stuff. You need to be, too. You will be given every opportunity to succeed, but it is entirely up to you to do it. The training department is not going to carry you, and the line most definitely will not.

Regarding upgrades, I always enjoy watching the reaction when pilots at other companies ask me about our upgrade times, and I tell them it's something in excess of 20 years. That is entirely owing to the history of ABX, which you should look up. Five years? At this point, I will be surprised if I upgrade much faster than that, and I have been here almost three years. People who hired in a few months ahead of me were told to expect two years. At the time, it wasn't unreasonable. Now, two years is a distant dream. As it stands now, the first 40-ish FOs on the list have been with the company for more than 20 years. We have upgraded six so far this year - the first upgrades since 2017 - and current plans are to upgrade about that many more. Retirements have been happening more quickly than anybody expected, so there might be a need to upgrade more, but a significant contract just expired and went to a competitor, so I wouldn't count on that happening. Some growth would certainly help those numbers, but we have been told that there will be no growth until the CEO gets the contract he wants (and there is no discernible progress on a contract of any sort), and some of our projected growth was already diverted to a sister airline two years ago because the union got tired of putting up with the company's abuses and put a stop to them.

Strictly speaking, abxflyr is correct about reserve. The number of flying lines we have fluctuates month-to-month, sometimes significantly. Not long ago, the number of flying lines shrank so far that people who had never been on reserve ended up getting reserve lines. For September, the demarcation point for who can expect to hold a flying line is somewhere in the middle of the group that was hired in December of 2016. Some who have been here about a year have been getting flying lines the last few months, which can happen in the summer months and the winter holidays when more people bid reserve to get the days off they want. But again, the ending of that contract will put a big damper on that.

So there you go. Take the job or don't based on what you need or want to do. But if you do take it, know that you have been warned. Do not come here and whine about it later.

Jurassic Jet
08-09-2019, 05:45 AM
Excellent post Reactivity. And just to clarify for people potentially thinking of coming here....the most recent Captain upgrade class (which started this week) has the junior captain with a 02/1997 hire date.

Bungalow
08-09-2019, 06:21 AM
So there you go. Take the job or don't based on what you need or want to do. But if you do take it, know that you have been warned. Do not come here and whine about it later.[/QUOTE]

Yet you are still there and You are constantly whining.
Do as I say not as I do. Got it.

nitefr8dog
08-09-2019, 06:36 AM
The first thing I'll say is that if you have an offer from almost anywhere else, you should take it. There really isn't anything at ABX that would make it better than any regional job at this point. It isn't going to move you toward whatever goals you have any faster, and it really isn't a great prospect as a career destination today.

That said, if you need to go somewhere and this is the only option you have at the moment, then I'll add a little bit to what abxflyr gave you.

Probably the first thing you need to know is that getting an offer from ABX is no kind of major achievement today. The company has been in a hiring mode for some time, partly because they are unable to hire in any significant numbers. There have been many no-shows for classes and many dropouts in the first week of training. As the company has lowered its standards for who is hired, there have been a shocking (to me, anyway) number of training washouts. IOE used to be 25 hours. It is now 50 hours, and I've heard stories of some going beyond 60 hours and still not getting it. So if you want to take the offer, you first need to make a serious assessment of your flying skills. You need to be willing to learn new procedures, flows, profiles, and callouts, and put them all together - first in the simulator and then in the airplane. These guys are serious about this stuff. You need to be, too. You will be given every opportunity to succeed, but it is entirely up to you to do it. The training department is not going to carry you, and the line most definitely will not.

Regarding upgrades, I always enjoy watching the reaction when pilots at other companies ask me about our upgrade times, and I tell them it's something in excess of 20 years. That is entirely owing to the history of ABX, which you should look up. Five years? At this point, I will be surprised if I upgrade much faster than that, and I have been here almost three years. People who hired in a few months ahead of me were told to expect two years. At the time, it wasn't unreasonable. Now, two years is a distant dream. As it stands now, the first 40-ish FOs on the list have been with the company for more than 20 years. We have upgraded six so far this year - the first upgrades since 2017 - and current plans are to upgrade about that many more. Retirements have been happening more quickly than anybody expected, so there might be a need to upgrade more, but a significant contract just expired and went to a competitor, so I wouldn't count on that happening. Some growth would certainly help those numbers, but we have been told that there will be no growth until the CEO gets the contract he wants (and there is no discernible progress on a contract of any sort), and some of our projected growth was already diverted to a sister airline two years ago because the union got tired of putting up with the company's abuses and put a stop to them.

Strictly speaking, abxflyr is correct about reserve. The number of flying lines we have fluctuates month-to-month, sometimes significantly. Not long ago, the number of flying lines shrank so far that people who had never been on reserve ended up getting reserve lines. For September, the demarcation point for who can expect to hold a flying line is somewhere in the middle of the group that was hired in December of 2016. Some who have been here about a year have been getting flying lines the last few months, which can happen in the summer months and the winter holidays when more people bid reserve to get the days off they want. But again, the ending of that contract will put a big damper on that.

So there you go. Take the job or don't based on what you need or want to do. But if you do take it, know that you have been warned. Do not come here and whine about it later.
Not everyone gets 50 hrs IOE....one just finished with 30....he was done at 26 but in the middle of a trip. My guess is like all the bottom ACMI carriers the IOE numbers have been adjusted. Fortunately management has been able to realize the need to adapt to our current environment and prospective pilot candidates and we don't end up like some other carriers.We do not have much to offer....but if you do not have any jet experience or wide body International time....this might work. We are not good at finding work it usually comes to us...not because we can't ( although I don't believe ABX really understands what the ACMI business is all about. Still caught up in the Express carrier mindset) but because we refuse to go after it. Its here Atlas, Southern or ATI. 2nd yr is 90k ish. 100k should be easy to do. Live local or spend the 250$ for a crash pad and the R1s are easy. Atlas I think will be bought when they file bankruptcy so a management change is probably sooner than later. JMHO

Jurassic Jet
08-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Atlas I think will be bought when they file bankruptcy so a management change is probably sooner than later. JMHO

Most likely by Mesa.