Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : When will LAX base open

friend
01-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Any idea when the LAX base will open. I live near sfo and that would be a easy commute

bigtime209
01-20-2019, 04:18 AM
Any idea when the LAX base will open. I live near sfo and that would be a easy commute

There has been zero indication that an LAX base is coming. Different members of management have hinted that the Compass planes are slated to be transferred here eventually, but they won’t necessarily be in LAX. And even if AAG is actually planning on transferring those plans right now, those plans most certainly can change as they tend to do with AAG. Don’t believe anything until it actually happens.

Squirrel27
01-20-2019, 04:52 AM
Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see.

Cyio
01-20-2019, 06:55 AM

LAX has been reopening next month for three years now. I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

NoValueAviator
01-20-2019, 09:32 AM
It is reasonable to wonder what theyíll do with the new 175s. Capacity dumping war on existing routes? many of the markets we go into on the 140/145 are already way over served, flying 10-12 people to/from Chicago all day sure makes the future seem bright

CaptJackSparrow
01-20-2019, 10:04 AM
I canít believe anyone actually believes this rumor

pitchattitude
01-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Apparently it is going to happen when AAG buys Mesa.

Right before we get the mainline seniority numbers with a B scale.

And oh, yeah, that will fix the QOL at Envoy as well.

Anything else I didnít cover?

ENH017
01-20-2019, 03:07 PM
Apparently it is going to happen when AAG buys Mesa.

Right before we get the mainline seniority numbers with a B scale.

And oh, yeah, that will fix the QOL at Envoy as well.

Anything else I didnít cover?

Reserve improvements coming soon (tm)

RawHide
01-20-2019, 04:36 PM
No LAX, No pay increases, No reserve changes. This company is always selling something just around the corner.

pitchattitude
01-20-2019, 05:29 PM
The problem is the company doesnít have to sell it. There are enough people to generate and believe it. The company doesnít have to do anything, especially make any changes because of it.

Cyio
01-21-2019, 04:11 AM
The problem is the company doesnít have to sell it. There are enough people to generate and believe it. The company doesnít have to do anything, especially make any changes because of it.

Its the never ending carrot on a stick syndrome. The next best thing is right around the corner.

NoValueAviator
01-21-2019, 04:46 AM
What carrot? Seat lock means I have to upgrade to see a 175 base, canít upgrade unless you fly, canít fly unless youíre on the 175.

pinkvisual
01-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Lax has been reopening next quarter since December 2012. The last time this rumor was rampant we were able to track it down to a flight attendant manager telling new hires lax was coming (complete with survey). The union reps put a stop to that. Lax will probably open the month after I flow. Then I get to be that mainline guy muttering about those dam regional guys taking OUR flying. Haha

dera
01-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Our class was told AA usually tells the company their needs around 6 months in advance, and as of now there are no talks about LAX base opening. So at least to us, management isn't spreading these rumors but rather actively trying to kill it.

Cyio
01-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Our class was told AA usually tells the company their needs around 6 months in advance, and as of now there are no talks about LAX base opening. So at least to us, management isn't spreading these rumors but rather actively trying to kill it.
Yeah I hear it at least once a week from FAís that it is opening. They somehow know someone who knows a guy whoís sleeping with so and so that ferries planes for us who said it is a sure thing.

Believe me, if they were planning on opening a base they would say something. Heck from a recruitment standpoint it would be huge not to mention how it would help moral for all the west cost commuters.

So either there is a very strategic reason for not telling us or they simply donít have a decision yet.

bh539
01-23-2019, 01:15 PM

The new hire classes are being told the LAX base is coming soon. We were told that by recruiting and instructors. Classes behind us as well.

dera
01-23-2019, 04:15 PM
The new hire classes are being told the LAX base is coming soon. We were told that by recruiting and instructors. Classes behind us as well.

Not our class.

BigZ
01-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Not our class.
Things change weekly, your class doesn't qualify for fresh rumors.

bigtime209
01-23-2019, 04:38 PM
I was at HQ back in 3-4 months ago. I spoke to a member of management who flat out said that the Compass planes are going to be transferred here and insinuated that it was a done deal. When I asked if they would be operated by Envoy in LAX or be integrated elsewhere in the AA network, he said that part they didn't know yet. Take it for what it's worth. As I said before, even if that is in fact the plan for now, it very well may change before it's all said in done. Don't believe anything until you see it.

N200NN
01-23-2019, 06:45 PM
We had a flight attendant here at Compass leave for Envoy coz she was told by one of the gate agents (envoy) that Envoy was taking the planes and the LAX base next month. Needless to say, sheís been commuting to DFW since 2016.

dera
01-23-2019, 06:55 PM
We had a flight attendant here at Compass leave for Envoy coz she was told by one of the gate agents (envoy) that Envoy was taking the planes and the LAX base next month. Needless to say, sheís been commuting to DFW since 2016.

That's called natural selection :D

BigZ
01-23-2019, 07:11 PM

Ouch
Filler

Timbird
01-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Well she got a jump on seniority haha

bigtime209
01-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Obviously, IF the planes are transferred, it won't happen until the contract is up. Which is still a little ways off.

4V14T0R
01-24-2019, 06:17 AM
Obviously, IF the planes are transferred, it won't happen until the contract is up. Which is still a little ways off.

Wasnít that a five year contract? It was signed in 2014, IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtime209
01-24-2019, 06:51 AM
Wasnít that a five year contract? It was signed in 2014, IIRC.

Five year contract beginning first quarter of 2015.

4V14T0R
01-24-2019, 06:54 AM
Five year contract beginning first quarter of 2015.

Thatís not that far off then. A year until they start coming offline at Compass. Do you know what the intake rate was then? 2-3 a month I presume.

JetDoc
01-24-2019, 08:41 AM
You guys seem eager to put the Compass guys out of work for your own personal gain. That's pretty sad.

MD-11Loader
01-24-2019, 09:07 AM
You guys seem eager to put the Compass guys out of work for your own personal gain. That's pretty sad.

I donít think that anyone is eager to put them out of work. And with the rate their guys are getting hired, losing the AA contract would help them fully staff the DL flying. Nobody would be furloughed from the pilot ranks by losing AA. Now if DL takes their planes back that would be a devastating hit.

bigtime209
01-24-2019, 09:59 AM

I don't think the majority of our guys would be happy if those planes came here. It wouldn't benefit our pilot group whatsoever. If anything, it'd be a detriment as it would just mean more required staffing and the resulting QOL hit that comes along with paper thin staffing that we know all too well.

pinkvisual
01-24-2019, 11:33 AM

Because of those guys and Skywest Iíve been commuting since 2012. Donít really care about them to be honest.

But like I said earlier. Highly doubt we see lax as a base anytime soon.

4V14T0R
01-24-2019, 11:44 AM
Because of those guys and Skywest Iíve been commuting since 2012. Donít really care about them to be honest.

I think your displeasure is misplaced. Look at Envoy and AA management. You really think Compass or Skywest had anything to do with that? All they did was bid for the flying. To be mad at the pilots is just lunacy.

in2deep
01-24-2019, 01:27 PM
No one knew MIA or LGA were opening until a day prior.

JetDoc
01-24-2019, 02:25 PM

You choose to commute.

MD-11Loader
01-24-2019, 03:15 PM
RW was open and to the point in one of his meetings a few months ago that he believes that LAX is coming back and that it will be announced this summer. When you couple the CRJ departure announcement with Isom stating that AAG wants the WOís and three regionals of size, it makes sense. He was directly quoted as saying regional fleets of twenty aircraft are not efficient, and that AAG loses hundreds of thousands of dollars of profit per airplane that is flown by another carrier. Do I want LAX as a base? Absolutely. Do I want another twenty airplanes to staff? Nope. More airplanes means more excuses by the company as to why they canít improve our QOL.

bigtime209
01-24-2019, 03:19 PM
RW was open and to the point in one of his meetings a few months ago that he believes that LAX is coming back and that it will be announced this summer. When you couple the CRJ departure announcement with Isom stating that AAG wants the WOís and three regionals of size, it makes sense. He was directly quoted as saying regional fleets of twenty aircraft are not efficient, and that AAG loses hundreds of thousands of dollars of profit per airplane that is flown by another carrier. Do I want LAX as a base? Absolutely. Do I want another twenty airplanes to staff? Nope. More airplanes means more excuses by the company as to why they canít improve our QOL.

This guy gets it

pinkvisual
01-24-2019, 03:24 PM
You choose to commute.

That isnít true. It is a true statement when you are hired. But after youíve been based somewhere and have a family and begin to grow your roots. Wife gets career, kids in certain schools. Itís not longer a choice to commute. Back when we lost lax I pondered hard about switching to red stripe virgin or compass (the new kids on the block.) I ultimately couldnít afford the new hire pay for first officers at the time. I know exactly where to place my blame for losing lax. Right at amr at the time. But did I get any sympathy cards or phone calls from the Skywest or compass guys? Nope so why should I give a f if they will have to commute now?

pinkvisual
01-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Iíd be willing to bet compass renews the contract, or if they donít we repo the planes to Dfw and we have Mesa or Skywest continue the flying in lax. But itís a very fluid industry and know one actually knows whatís going to happen besides isom and miss Chloe

bh539
01-24-2019, 10:17 PM
Well she got a jump on seniority haha

Plus the FA flow to American

dvtpilot
01-24-2019, 10:18 PM
I donít know if Iíd put 20 airplanes in the hard to staff category. Between transferring the CRJs, it wouldnít take but a few of the more tired 145s to go back to the desert to solve that.

MD-11Loader
01-25-2019, 02:34 AM
I donít know if Iíd put 20 airplanes in the hard to staff category. Between transferring the CRJs, it wouldnít take but a few of the more tired 145s to go back to the desert to solve that.

Itís growth. A lot of growth. And when the company uses excuses such as inadequate staffing as to why they canít help us with QOL, then growth is bad. Yes the CRJ leaving is good. It simplifies so many things here from Ground Ops to Flight Ops, and should help improve schedules due to the simplified flight file, but adding more to the fleet just adds to the pilot burden.

CaptJackSparrow
01-25-2019, 04:34 AM
Itís growth. A lot of growth. And when the company uses excuses such as inadequate staffing as to why they canít help us with QOL, then growth is bad. Yes the CRJ leaving is good. It simplifies so many things here from Ground Ops to Flight Ops, and should help improve schedules due to the simplified flight file, but adding more to the fleet just adds to the pilot burden.

Most guys havenít been here long enough to know what the staffing crunch is like and what it can do to QOL. When almost every captain on property gets involuntary TDY. When each week on your last day of duty all you can think about is how to avoid the junior man coming your way after seeing 5 trips open and zero reserves. When reserve guys that commute might see 6 days off a month because theyíre forced to commute on their days off on both ends constantly.

20 planes is a huge shock wave for us to handle appropriately. Sure, critical coverage declared everyday for months is nice and all but tie everything together and it will burn you out quickly. Not to mention the threat of the flow potentially having to be stopped due to staffing.

Cyio
01-25-2019, 04:50 AM
Most guys havenít been here long enough to know what the staffing crunch is like and what it can do to QOL. When almost every captain on property gets involuntary TDY. When each week on your last day of duty all you can think about is how to avoid the junior man coming your way after seeing 5 trips open and zero reserves. When reserve guys that commute might see 6 days off a month because theyíre forced to commute on their days off on both ends constantly.

20 planes is a huge shock wave for us to handle appropriately. Sure, critical coverage declared everyday for months is nice and all but tie everything together and it will burn you out quickly. Not to mention the threat of the flow potentially having to be stopped due to staffing.

This right here. Growth is great when it comes in nice and steady. A sudden influx of 20 planes and all the flying that entails would be a shock. My biggest fear is the flow changing up or being "temporarily" stopped or slowed.

TeeRainPULup
01-25-2019, 05:10 AM
This right here. Growth is great when it comes in nice and steady. A sudden influx of 20 planes and all the flying that entails would be a shock. My biggest fear is the flow changing up or being "temporarily" stopped or slowed.

If this happened-Spirit, Frontier, JB, Atlas and the like would have a large amount of applications cross their desk. Talk about staffing problems.

CaptJackSparrow
01-25-2019, 05:51 AM
If this happened-Spirit, Frontier, JB, Atlas and the like would have a large amount of applications cross their desk. Talk about staffing problems.

I highly doubt it. The company would likely say ďitís only temporary, we will start flowing again next monthĒ and continue to dangle the ďnext monthĒ carrot in front of us. Too many guys too close to flowing and too many guys stuck paying back a $45K or $25K bonus would surely keep everyone at bay.

amcnd
01-25-2019, 09:58 AM
I was LAX based for Eagle. Was a awesome base and pretty cool flying.. but I wouldnít trade a lax base for flow. You cN get there when you flow to AA. Keep your eye on the prize. And thats not Compass aircraft...

N200NN
01-26-2019, 12:49 AM
RW was open and to the point in one of his meetings a few months ago that he believes that LAX is coming back and that it will be announced this summer.

ďthis summerĒ circa 2013

Every time I meet a mainline pilot:
ďHey bud, you got your apps in? You know weíre hiring right?Ē

Every time I meet an Envoy pilot:
ďLAX base is opening next month for sureĒ

buddies8
01-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Funny how mainline pilots are now recruiting pilots. As for lax, you may get fly through flights but an lax base happening, better chances at the lottery.

KodiakRS
01-26-2019, 07:34 PM
As for lax, you may get fly through flights but an lax base happening, better chances at the lottery.

Most of the Compass Eagle flying is stuff we used to do on the CRJ. All Eagle/Envoy CRJ flights in LAX were through flights so there's a good chance that you're correct and if* we get the Compass flying it'll just be handled by DFW or ORD 175 crews.

*That's a very big if.

Phoenix21
01-26-2019, 09:28 PM
I donít know if Iíd put 20 airplanes in the hard to staff category... it wouldnít take but a few of the more tired 145s to go back to the desert to solve that.

*cough* Piedmont *cough*

dera
01-26-2019, 09:31 PM
*cough* Piedmont *cough*

They need to get their sh*t together and start getting pilots through training before they can take any more new planes/flying.

buddies8
02-04-2019, 12:41 PM
This is an AAG mandate, you will comply or else.

MD-11Loader
02-04-2019, 02:10 PM
They need to get their sh*t together and start getting pilots through training before they can take any more new planes/flying.

Itís not normal for it to take 9 months to train a pilot?