Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : TSA Training

rjet24
01-20-2019, 09:43 AM
How has TSA initial training and expected knowledge/flows/memory items changed since 2007-ish?

Svt24
01-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Sorry, I dont have an answer but I'm interested in this too. I was there during that era and have thought about coming back for round two.
Any help here?

fastforward
01-22-2019, 07:22 PM
How has TSA initial training and expected knowledge/flows/memory items changed since 2007-ish?

There is a little more to learn than in 07, but the training process is much more streamlined. The GFS sessions help tie things together, especially for someone new to the 145.

Iím happy to be back

Svt24
01-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I had a good experience there for 5 plus years. Good to hear you can go back and be happy to do it.

Celeste
01-24-2019, 08:20 PM
I cant speak for 2007. However, in the 4 years I've been here there's quite a bit fewer limitations, and, a few less memory items to have memorized. I had the impression from guys that have been here longer that there were even more before I started here. It seems like there's less emphasis on them these days. But I haven't been on the schoolhouse for a long time.

The flows are now standardized... everyone is supposed to do the same flow the same way, in the past you could use your own flow. It would have been great as a newhire, not so great to break old habits and learn new ones.

As far as systems, I think they are getting away from reverse engineering the plane, but they still expect a high level of knowledge.

David77
01-27-2019, 10:23 AM
Can anyone offer an indication of how long from day 1 until IOE completed?

Also confirm they pay the hour guarantee while training - seen some conflicting info.

Thanks in advance!

C37AFE
01-27-2019, 02:12 PM
The footprint from day of travel to atp-ctp to end of ioe can be from no breaks and stay infoot print of 3 months to more realistically 4 months give or take. Matters how people do. If they need extra sims etc. you might not but if others do it can affect your schedule getting into them. Buddy of mine this summer started Jul 1 and was done with ioe just before Halloween while his buddy had some issues and was about a month later than him.

I recommend having your 50 hrs multi time going into it if you donít. I think it helps because you can get oral knocked out prior to starting sims nice not having to be studying for that and getting flies/callouts and flying down at same time. Ioe is just 2 four day trips at most. Mine was 2 three day trips. Just need that 25 hours.

Training is min hour pay. No per diem. Iím 99% sure that starts day 1 of indoc. Not atp-ctp. Forget.

fastforward
01-27-2019, 07:13 PM
Training is min hour pay. No per diem. Iím 99% sure that starts day 1 of indoc. Not atp-ctp. Forget.

Thatís right. Theyíll get you to ATP/CTP and back home. Training pay is the 75 hour min guarantee starting the day you show up for ground school. Per diem starts when you begin ioe.

David77
03-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Is there much time between finishing training and starting in base?

I don't currently live in any TSA base, just wondering about practicalities of time to find a place to live, etc in whatever base I get after training.

I am assuming there is little to no time during the training footprint to go house hunting.

Any advice much appreciated.

C37AFE
03-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Is there much time between finishing training and starting in base?

I don't currently live in any TSA base, just wondering about practicalities of time to find a place to live, etc in whatever base I get after training.

I am assuming there is little to no time during the training footprint to go house hunting.

Any advice much appreciated.

My sim partner found a house and moved (to his domicile) during training

ESQ702
04-06-2019, 04:12 PM
The footprint from day of travel to atp-ctp to end of ioe can be from no breaks and stay infoot print of 3 months to more realistically 4 months give or take. Matters how people do. If they need extra sims etc. you might not but if others do it can affect your schedule getting into them. Buddy of mine this summer started Jul 1 and was done with ioe just before Halloween while his buddy had some issues and was about a month later than him.

Holy smokes. That seems quite a bit longer than some training estimates Iíve seen with other regionals on this forum.

PDK1011
04-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Holy smokes. That seems quite a bit longer than some training estimates Iíve seen with other regionals on this forum.

Not from what I've seen and heard.

XJT-3-3.5 months ish
SKW-3-3.5 ish(ERJ a little longer). My buddy started there in Dec and was done with IOE two weeks ago.
EDV-My other buddy started in early Dec and finished IOE in early March.

Others not including PDT and their backup issues in training have sounded similar to me. So really, 4 months at the most if you need an extra sim or two isn't bad.

bryris
04-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Well, I haven't logged onto this forum in a long time, but I was a June 2007 new hire. Flew until late Dec 2008 when the furlough was announced. Instead of taking the furlough, I quit and went back to my previous profession. A decade later, I'm succeeding in said profession, have since bought my own airplane (Cherokee) and am basically happy. But, the "dream" to go back still eats at me at bit. I see they are getting pretty thirsty for pilots these days and are sweetening the pot.

BrazilBusDriver
04-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Well, I haven't logged onto this forum in a long time, but I was a June 2007 new hire. Flew until late Dec 2008 when the furlough was announced. Instead of taking the furlough, I quit and went back to my previous profession. A decade later, I'm succeeding in said profession, have since bought my own airplane (Cherokee) and am basically happy. But, the "dream" to go back still eats at me at bit. I see they are getting pretty thirsty for pilots these days and are sweetening the pot.

I can say from Mid-2007 experience and recent experience in training that the airline's default position towards folks seems to have changed a lot, and for the better from the point of view of the pilot. Not sure if that helps or makes things hard. Not back on the line yet, hear junior manning is rough, especially for DEN FOs.

FWIW, everyone seems pretty happy to be there in the STL office and they also seem happy that you're there, too. Plenty of great folks there back in the day, but couldn't say that on the whole about 2007-2009.

Budgiesmuggler
04-25-2019, 07:10 AM
What is the average class size at the moment and which base are most new hires being allocated. I would assume its generally either Denver or Chicago? Out of these two which has the shortest reserve.

C37AFE
04-25-2019, 08:02 AM
What is the average class size at the moment and which base are most new hires being allocated. I would assume its generally either Denver or Chicago? Out of these two which has the shortest reserve.

Denver 12 a class about. Both are fairly short

Positiveg
08-10-2019, 11:54 PM
I know one should stay focused in doing well in training while going through it, but just to have an idea, how is time off structured during training and how often is there an opportunity to go home for a few days? Is it pretty much just the weekends off or are there periods of time here and there to go home? How soon into training are jumpseat privileges given?

fastforward
08-11-2019, 05:16 AM
You should be able to jumpseat by the end of the first week of ground school. The classroom schedule is Monday-Friday, 8-5 although sometimes youíll get a 3 day weekend if thereís a holiday that week.

From what Iíve heard from the new FOs, people have been getting anywhere from 3-7 days between the end of ground school and the start of sims. Also roughly the same amount of time between their checkride and IOE.

Positiveg
08-11-2019, 09:46 PM
You should be able to jumpseat by the end of the first week of ground school. The classroom schedule is Monday-Friday, 8-5 although sometimes youíll get a 3 day weekend if thereís a holiday that week.

From what Iíve heard from the new FOs, people have been getting anywhere from 3-7 days between the end of ground school and the start of sims. Also roughly the same amount of time between their checkride and IOE.

Thanks for the info!

GrumpyBear
08-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Does TSA make you memorize the CA flows as a new hire? Also howís their training when it comes to working the FMS?

Overall, how has the training experience been with those that have gone through recently?

Thanks in advance!

Grumpy

BrazilBusDriver
08-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Does TSA make you memorize the CA flows as a new hire? Also howís their training when it comes to working the FMS?

Overall, how has the training experience been with those that have gone through recently?

Thanks in advance!

Grumpy

>>>>CA FLOWS: No, they don't make you memorize captain flows, in fact they encourage you not to look at them until you upgrade (unless you're coming in as a CQFO).

>>>>FMS TRAINING: Required FMS training is pretty minimal - there's an in class practical exercise and some online training that one of the ground instructors put together that you're supposed to go through. But they give you simulator software for your PC and have a lab, so you can do as much or as little as you want/need.

>>>>TRAINING: I personally think the training department is one of the bright spots about Trans States - pretty much everything is done in house and the folks there work hard at doing a good job of it. They're currently spending a lot of time, money, and effort trying to get folks through, and have added a lot of Graphical Flight Sim sessions (think paper tiger but in flight sim mock up) to help folks get up to speed on procedures before getting to the sim. You'll have the resources you need to pass training if you're minimally skilled and are willing to apply yourself.

C37AFE
08-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Thanks in advance!

Grumpy
No and weak. Fms basics aren't too hard to figure out. The sop has a cheat sheet. You will have it down in no time

Jjpilot
08-18-2019, 03:56 PM
You will get fairly good with the FMS during training.

ACARS, not so much!!!
There is a section in the SOP dealing with it, but pretty much leave it for guys like me, the line check airman to teach newbys that.
Im working on a short introduction video about using the ACARs.

NeverHome
08-19-2019, 06:39 AM
You will get fairly good with the FMS during training.

ACARS, not so much!!!
There is a section in the SOP dealing with it, but pretty much leave it for guys like me, the line check airman to teach newbys that.
Im working on a short introduction video about using the ACARs.

Lol very true about the ACARS! A year ago I had an interesting discussion with the then assistant POI. In his words, IOE is not a training event (I guess we donít train pilots with paying passengers on board lol). So new hires shouldnít be learning ACARS on IOE!

The discussion came up because I mentioned that we all learned the ACARS on IOE. Your right, itís really been the check airman teaching the skills to the IOE guy. Then further refined by the line captains. Personally I never saw any issues with this, just that teaching how to use acars on a 24 minute turn with a crew swap is a bit tedious.