Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Why so many cancellations still?

Bluedriver
01-22-2019, 07:14 AM
Where's the weather today?

seekingblue
01-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Boston has 349 minute delays.

27 is an ice rink and 33L is the only option with the current winds....

Bluedriver
01-22-2019, 07:34 AM
Boston has 349 minute delays.

27 is an ice rink and 33L is the only option with the current winds....

And?

Haha, it wasn't much snow but the ice and wind are sticking around.

capt707
01-22-2019, 08:18 AM
Word is that apparently Massport dropped the ball on treating the runways properly. Blewjet is still trying to recover and fly a full schedule, but flights are running way behind.

nuball5
01-22-2019, 08:30 AM
Average BOS delays down to less than 3 hours. Still not great but should help a bit. Much better than 6 or 7 hours like yesterday and this morning.

Std Deviation
01-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Average BOS delays down to less than 3 hours. Still not great but should help a bit. Much better than 6 or 7 hours like yesterday and this morning.

Well looks like Dallas - Boston will time out again today. DFW ops is soliciting for a crew.

GuppyPuppy
01-22-2019, 10:39 AM
BOS is still all jacked-up today.

DL A321 somehow managed to be stuck between taxiways last night.

Widebodies couldn't taxi around the disabled plane.

33L only runway for takeoffs and landings.

In-ground fueling system inop at many gates.

Wing fuel gage inop due to cold.

Skating rink on ramps and taxiways.

Fun times...

Gup

CaptCoolHand
01-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Donít worry about this guys... itíll all be cleared up by valentines.

Bluedriver
01-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Donít worry about this guys... itíll all be cleared up by valentines.

Joanna's got this.... #fixed

Rickce7
01-22-2019, 10:32 PM
I will call out JB when they screw up. . plenty of that to go around. But BOS airport really screwed the pooch it seems. The runways and taxiways were a joke. One runway to land and takeoff on. It was borderline unsafe all around. Of course, CS had a complete meltdown, again. Not sure how JB goes about fixing that issue but until they do, the incompetence from the puzzle palace will continue to make IROPs worse than they really are.

hyperboy
01-23-2019, 04:02 AM
I will call out JB when they screw up. . plenty of that to go around. But BOS airport really screwed the pooch it seems. The runways and taxiways were a joke. One runway to land and takeoff on. It was borderline unsafe all around. Of course, CS had a complete meltdown, again. Not sure how JB goes about fixing that issue but until they do, the incompetence from the puzzle palace will continue to make IROPs worse than they really are.

I have see NO evidence that they want to fix the staffing (IROP) issue and OTP. They talk about it....even acknowledge it. I have seen no suggestion of solutions taken seriously to improve or make it better IMHO. We all know there are some easy fixes if they want to fix them. It could all be calculated. We are making money and growing. We will see the new bottom line again tomorrow. :confused:

Cujo665
01-23-2019, 05:12 AM

Massport stopped hiring industry professionals some time ago. Now they employ political hacks and pencil pushers... so, statistically the cost of keeping expensive surface treatment fluids on hand isn’t justified by the limited use they receive. On their end, budget wise, it’s more economical to reduce available runway choices for a day or two than to keep all that inventory, extra equipment, and extra staff around for the one, maybe two, events a year.
Seriously, that’s the rocket science management running the joint. For every Massport employee you see out in the field actually working, there are two more you don’t see. One to supervise the guy working and another to oversee cost control. ....and You thought it’s bad in Queens...

It doesn’t help that they’re set up as an autonomous authority that doesn’t answer to the public, or even to the legislature. They tried to design it so it would be free from state political influence... and instead created an agency without controls.

Bluedriver
01-23-2019, 06:38 AM

A good friend of mine did BOS-SAN on Monday night. The flight left over 3 hours late... because... BlueJet sent a MINT aircraft to do an ATL turn (no MINT service to ATL). Well, the aircraft got late out of ATL (who would have thought?!?) which caused the San Diego flight to be over 3 hours late.

The problem with that decision besides making a full MINT aircraft late (because BlueJet doesn't have ACTUAL spare aircraft, just "virtual" spares (virtual, like our culture)), is the aircraft was to arrive in San Diego and subsequently fly the MINT JFK red-eye... Well being 3+ hours late put the MINT JFK red-eye flight past curfew, so the JFK flight had to be delayed TEN (10) HOURS! And after the TEN HOUR delay, it still left an additional 3+ hours late for reasons I'm not sure about.

This is NOT all Massport.

hilltopflyer
01-23-2019, 10:04 AM
A good friend of mine did BOS-SAN on Monday night. The flight left over 3 hours late... because... BlueJet sent a MINT aircraft to do an ATL turn (no MINT service to ATL). Well, the aircraft got late out of ATL (who would have thought?!?) which caused the San Diego flight to be over 3 hours late.

The problem with that decision besides making a full MINT aircraft late (because BlueJet doesn't have ACTUAL spare aircraft, just "virtual" spares (virtual, like our culture)), is the aircraft was to arrive in San Diego and subsequently fly the MINT JFK red-eye... Well being 3+ hours late put the MINT JFK red-eye flight past curfew, so the JFK flight had to be delayed TEN (10) HOURS! And after the TEN HOUR delay, it still left an additional 3+ hours late for reasons I'm not sure about.

What curfew? San?

Bluedriver
01-23-2019, 10:46 AM
What curfew? San?

Yes..........

capt707
01-23-2019, 02:29 PM
What curfew? San?

No takeoffs between 11:30pm and 6:30am

hilltopflyer
01-23-2019, 04:14 PM

Gotcha. Good to know for future use when I swap to mainline

full of luv
01-23-2019, 06:37 PM

Why would you expect a delay in ATL, that airport seems to flow pretty much on time, unless you short schedule and plan for immediate takeoff during peak times during IMC conditions.

lavService
01-23-2019, 09:44 PM
Why would you expect a delay in ATL, that airport seems to flow pretty much on time, unless you short schedule and plan for immediate takeoff during peak times during IMC conditions.

The delay was probably ATC to BOS... Delta has an advantage that there are rarely delays in Atlanta and they can swap slots, and or aircraft in those situations. The delay to BOS should have been expected.

Bluedriver
01-23-2019, 09:51 PM

Because this is JB. Short scheduling and planning for immediate take off is standard. Plus yes, sending an aircraft on an ATL turn during a period of 4+ hour EDCTs in BOS is absolutely asking for a multi-hour downline delay... Which resulted in another 10 hour downline delay.

pilotpayne
01-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Which is what the guy you quoted said or did you miss this?

ďCS had a complete meltdown, again. Not sure how JB goes about fixing that issue but until they do, the incompetence from the puzzle palace will continue to make IROPs worse than they really are.Ē

Massport started the ball rolling and as always jetblue could not get out of the way. Irop after irop. I knew we would dork it up by I was surprised at massport messing it up as well.

sidestep
01-26-2019, 10:38 AM

Iíve been a past curfew t/o from SAN. Airline just pays a fine. I wonder why they just didnít take the fine and go?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1