Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

FANS1A
01-23-2019, 03:38 PM
Hi all:

I am doing research on the benefits of FANS1A and wondering how much does it cost the airline to send/receive a CPDLC message?

Thanks a lot in advance!:)

Best

bottoms up
01-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Well someone has to push accept. And someone else there to verify it. That ainít free

FANS1A
01-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Well someone has to push accept. And someone else there to verify it. That ainít free

thanks for the reply. I am expecting a number something like 20 cents per message sent to controller or received from controller

rickair7777
01-23-2019, 05:10 PM
I know some of the ARINC message services were $15-$20 back in the day. Company would send you a nasty gram if you were doing ORD-JAX and sending for LAX weather to help plan your days off.

My guess is that CPFLC is more in that range. Aviation: add a zero.

Borden Drousy
01-24-2019, 05:58 AM
You're asking the wrong group.

Try a Dispatcher forum. They have management strolling through breathing down their necks with helpful money saving advice all day.

cornbeef007
01-24-2019, 06:46 AM
You're asking the wrong group.

Try a Dispatcher forum. They have management strolling through breathing down their necks with helpful money saving advice all day.

This...corporations have the tendency to compile all costs associated with a particular action as opposed to a singular breakdown. They want actions to appear as expensive as possible in a way that helps to motivate us to be more cost conscious.

Get ahold of ARINC or Nav Canada. They may be able to answer your questions

Std Deviation
01-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Over water itís going through the Iridium satellite network. Despite the low bandwidth of the Iridium network, satellite time is not cheap. Also, ADS-C for automatic position reporting is used far more regularly than CPDLC. Although we tend to use the term CPDLC as a catch all, the ADS-C is a factor in the cost.

galaxy flyer
01-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Arenít these charges all rolled into the navigation fees, depending on ANSP?

GF

cargofast
01-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Arenít these charges all rolled into the navigation fees, depending on ANSP?

GF

Yes, from the ANSP provider side of things. You still have to pay a service provider such as ARINC or Iridium/Inmarsat for the transmission of those messages.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1