Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Which Way To Go

mistapotts
01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
I've been looking at which regional to go to. Envoy, Piedmont, or PSA? Looking at doing the cadet program at whichever one I go to, to help with this student loan. Currently 20 years old and flight instructing. I have my four-year degree and my end goal is to fly to American. What're your opinions?

Tellheritwasntu
01-24-2019, 09:28 AM
I've been looking at which regional to go to. Envoy, Piedmont, or PSA? Looking at doing the cadet program at whichever one I go to, to help with this student loan. Currently 20 years old and flight instructing. I have my four-year degree and my end goal is to fly to American. What're your opinions?

Go to Endeavor 😂

UncreativeUser
01-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Go to Endeavor [emoji23]

Lol [emoji23]

In all honesty, Envoy is a solid pick right now because we are growing. You wonít see as high of pay here currently since we keep getting guys through the door. I was a cadet as well so I understand where youíre coming from as well as the destination to American which is pretty awesome. But just keep in mind if money is a factor for you then neither WO is a good choice at the moment.

Youíll most likely get the 175 since thatís what most classes are offering but beware there are random 145 only classes that have been dished out, if fleet is a deciding factor for you.

Reserve time, the closest youíll be off is around 6 months if you are 175 in ORD. Elsewhere itís longer but also reserve time is variable so also keep that in mind.

We have a very solid training program in my opinion. I had no delays whatsoever.

Hope this helps!

MD-11Loader
01-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Go into the military, get a flying slot, get to AA before you would by being at a WO regional. Seriously. You're looking at 8-9 years before you'd flow.

TeeRainPULup
01-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Go into the military, get a flying slot, get to AA before you would by being at a WO regional. Seriously. You're looking at 8-9 years before you'd flow.

Go into the Airforce active duty fly fighter jets or C-5ís. Specifics are better because you could go to the army get a flying slot and fly helicopters. Then you would be at a regional even after the military.

Naviator
01-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Youíre 20 and ready have a four year degree? Thatís pretty impressive.

Kstoves
01-24-2019, 01:47 PM

I was thinking the same thing. To get a 4 year degree in two years youíre looking at 21 credit semesters.

That in and of itself is doable, but how would you manage to get your ratings at the same time?

Houpilot2001
01-24-2019, 01:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing. To get a 4 year degree in two years youíre looking at 21 credit semesters.

That in and of itself is doable, but how would you manage to get your ratings at the same time?

Its possible, I gradjiated in 3 years with a bachelors just before my 21st birthday. All ratings except private while maintaining a job.

Excargodog
01-24-2019, 02:07 PM
A lot of states have programs that let you take community college courses in high school. In Washington State itís called Running Start. You can get a lot of the basic freshman and sophomore college core requirements out of the way and a two year associates degree by the time you graduate from high school and if you pick the right corses pretty much all the credits transfer. The downside is that you then start college as a junior and will need to IMMEDIATELY declare a major, at least at the state schools. Still, for someone really sure where you are going in life, it does get you graduated by age 20.

jake cutter
01-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Hey if doogie wants to come here, let him come here .

highfarfast
01-24-2019, 04:52 PM
A lot of states have programs that let you take community college courses in high school. In Washington State itís called Running Start. You can get a lot of the basic freshman and sophomore college core requirements out of the way and a two year associates degree by the time you graduate from high school and if you pick the right corses pretty much all the credits transfer. The downside is that you then start college as a junior and will need to IMMEDIATELY declare a major, at least at the state schools. Still, for someone really sure where you are going in life, it does get you graduated by age 20.

This isn't new either. I'm in my 40s and did a version of this when I was in high school (though not enough to be a junior when I hit college but there were kids at my high school who did). My oldest son is now doing it and we live in a different state. Surprised it's not just an accepted possibility.

TheRaven
01-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Heís a direct descendant of Tim Martins

AOLfreetrial
01-24-2019, 05:09 PM
Heís a direct descendant of Tim Martins

Used to work with that moron. Everything out of his mouth is a lie. He gave people "BFRs" without a CFI Cert...

NoValueAviator
01-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Lol where do you live/want to live? That makes the choice between the wholly-owneds easy.

mistapotts
01-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Lol where do you live/want to live? That makes the choice between the wholly-owneds easy.

I'm from the Charlotte area and moved out to PHX to flight instruct. Don't mind moving to any location, but Charlotte would be nice.

MD-11Loader
01-24-2019, 06:14 PM
I'm from the Charlotte area and moved out to PHX to flight instruct. Don't mind moving to any location, but Charlotte would be nice.

Live in base. If you want CLT then youíve answered your question. Just remember that youíll be on reserve in CLT a bit longer, and once you upgrade youíll have to go to a different base until you can hold it again in the left seat. Donít commute for a regional. Especially on a hub to hub route like DFW-CLT or ORD-CLT.

Pedro4President
01-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Don't go to PDT. PSA or Envoy are different and have their own pros and cons. Once you sift through the differences then make a choice based on your own personal criteria. At this point in time it would be hard press to say one is better than the other. IMO.

majorpilot
01-25-2019, 07:39 AM
Don't go to PDT.

I have no experience with any AA WO, but I met a PDT new hire who came on property in February 2018 who was starting their first sim session ... in October.

I would certainly press for info on training backups, but thatís a good question of any potential employer.

NoValueAviator
01-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Head on over to PSA (or Piedmont if you like the idea of sitting at home for a year and getting paid before they can get you in the sims).

highfarfast
01-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Head on over to PSA (or Piedmont if you like the idea of sitting at home for a year and getting paid before they can get you in the sims).

Honestly, if you're a flow or no kinda pilot, I don't see anything wrong with Piedmont. Months and months and months at home waiting on training while getting paid and also on the seniority list? I can think of worse things really.

havick206
01-25-2019, 03:35 PM
Honestly, if you're a flow or no kinda pilot, I don't see anything wrong with Piedmont. Months and months and months at home waiting on training while getting paid and also on the seniority list? I can think of worse things really.

Right up until they actually have to start work under their contract.

The delay in training is the same for virtually everyone there, so itís not like itís a bump in seniority at all.

highfarfast
01-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Right up until they actually have to start work under their contract.

The delay in training is the same for virtually everyone there, so it’s not like it’s a bump in seniority at all.

No. But you're moving toward your flow date all the same while no risk to yourself at all AND you're sitting at home with your family friends or whatever you value with your free time. Maybe you still work at something else.

It's why I said "if you're a flow or no kinda pilot".

Cyio
01-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Based on the companies actions, asking us to take concessions just to keep negotiating, DONT COME TO ENVOY.

in2deep
01-25-2019, 05:09 PM
The WOs are in the ****ter right now. The only thing separating them from any other bottom tier regional is the flow.

bigtime209
01-25-2019, 05:22 PM
The WOs are in the ****ter right now. The only thing separating them from any other bottom tier regional is the flow.

And unfortunately, it's working. Guys are flocking to the WOs in hopes of cashing in an IOU for a mainline job, however far off into the future it might be. It really is quite shocking to me when talking to the new FOs I fly with and here them talk as if they've already resigned to the fact that they're just gonna sit tight here and wait however long it takes to flow. Incredible.

Shiner
01-25-2019, 05:47 PM
The sad thing is in 6 years the crest of the hiring wave will be long gone. Sure, theyíll eventually get to mainline. But theyíll be forever reserve and forever FOís with major career stagnation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jersdawg
01-25-2019, 06:11 PM
And unfortunately, it's working. Guys are flocking to the WOs in hopes of cashing in an IOU for a mainline job, however far off into the future it might be. It really is quite shocking to me when talking to the new FOs I fly with and here them talk as if they've already resigned to the fact that they're just gonna sit tight here and wait however long it takes to flow. Incredible.

Same with the DECs, some with over five figure experience in many different types of aircraft and facets of the industry. I talked to one DEC who was at Endeavor for eight years but came here for the flow. Why would the company give us anything when classes are full and theyíre hitting their hiring goals?

Varsity
01-25-2019, 06:41 PM
The sad thing is in 6 years the crest of the hiring wave will be long gone. Sure, theyíll eventually get to mainline. But theyíll be forever reserve and forever FOís with major career stagnation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's harder to get hired big 6 OTS than it seems.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1