Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FAA Halts Flights Into LGA

ERflyer
01-25-2019, 06:14 AM
On Bloomberg: FAA halts flights to LGA due to staff shortages.

Big E 757
01-25-2019, 06:19 AM
On Bloomberg: FAA halts flights to LGA due to staff shortages.

I got an alert through the CNBC app on my phone. It said they are reducing the arrival rate because of lack of TSA staff. Then I got a correction that it was due to a lack of Air Traffic Controller staffing.

Claxstarr
01-25-2019, 06:25 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-25/laguardia-flights-halted-as-shutdown-hits-air-traffic-staffing?srnd=premium

Save you a keystroke...

Navmode
01-25-2019, 06:28 AM
Avg 15 min delays and decreasing, fake news

GuardPolice
01-25-2019, 06:33 AM

The news here isnít how long the delays are but that these are the first publicly stated delays due to the staffing. As is usually the case, the uneducated blow it way out of proportion because they donít understand the bigger picture and how unimportant these delays really are. However, it fits a trend of the shutdown getting progressively worse so the media runs with it and milks it for all it's worth.

ERflyer
01-25-2019, 06:38 AM
The news here isnít how long the delays are but that these are the first publicly stated delays due to the staffing. As is usually the case, the uneducated blow it way out of proportion because they donít understand the bigger picture and how unimportant these delays really are. However, it fits a trend of the shutdown getting progressively worse so the media runs with it and milks it for all it's worth.

Of course the FAA says it is due to staffing shortages. For the first time.

53x11
01-25-2019, 06:46 AM
I believe it. I commute out of a smaller town. No TSA this morning. Flights canceled. They have some agents coming in from other larger airports to help. Had to get positive space on next flight.

AirbusPTC
01-25-2019, 06:50 AM

So there was NO ground stop in LGA today?

GuardPolice
01-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Of course the FAA says it is due to staffing shortages. For the first time.

Thatís what I said in the first sentence of my post.

GP

AirbusPTC
01-25-2019, 07:01 AM
That’s what I said in the first sentence of my post.

GP

I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning NavMode who seems to think this is Fake News. You can tell fairly easily that it was directed to him, and not yourself, by his quotes included in my post.

Trip7
01-25-2019, 07:02 AM
I believe it. I commute out of a smaller town. No TSA this morning. Flights canceled. They have some agents coming in from other larger airports to help. Had to get positive space on next flight.Oh my. What town was this? This should be National news

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

53x11
01-25-2019, 07:06 AM
Oh my. What town was this? This should be National news

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha. Not hardly!:D Think back to the origin. Ahhh, Coke and Cotton

GuardPolice
01-25-2019, 07:21 AM
I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning NavMode who seems to think this is Fake News. You can tell fairly easily that it was directed to him, and not yourself, by his quotes included in my post.

Huh? I quoted and asked ERFlyer, not you. I havenít addressed you in any way in this thread.

GP

Valar Morghulis
01-25-2019, 07:25 AM
So there was NO ground stop in LGA today?

Had a 1:20 GS to LGA this morning

guppie
01-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Had a 1:20 GS to LGA this morning

Dude. It's fake news. MAGA

AirbusPTC
01-25-2019, 07:29 AM
Huh? I quoted and asked ERFlyer, not you. I havenít addressed you in any way in this thread.

GP

My mistake, apologies.

Valar Morghulis
01-25-2019, 07:32 AM
Dude. It's fake news. MAGA

Really. Iím on the delayed aircraft enroute (not working)

guppie
01-25-2019, 07:34 AM
Really. I’m on the delayed aircraft entourage (not working)

sorry. I was being sarcastic. I forgot to add this to my post... :rolleyes:

Navmode
01-25-2019, 07:34 AM

If you’ve done much flying through LGA, you’ll know that delays of this proportion are hardly newsworthy.

Pogey Bait
01-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Just left there not too long ago this morning. Nice weather and west bounds were being rerouted for some reason, some folks were getting up to three reroutes. Ramp congestion because there was no where for planes to head to and off of the runway planes were being held and could not head to the gate. Things did seem off given the current weather and so on.

GuardPolice
01-25-2019, 07:57 AM
My mistake, apologies.

No worries.

GP

GuardPolice
01-25-2019, 07:58 AM
Just left there not too long ago this morning. Nice weather and west bounds were being rerouted for some reason, some folks were getting up to three reroutes. Ramp congestion because there was no where for planes to head to and off of the runway planes were being held and could not head to the gate. Things did seem off given the current weather and so on.

Some news articles suggested that routes were being closed. I guess it all depends on where the staffing short falls are and that impacts the routes available.

GP

casual observer
01-25-2019, 08:08 AM
I got an alert through the CNBC app on my phone. It said they are reducing the arrival rate because of lack of TSA staff. Then I got a correction that it was due to a lack of Air Traffic Controller staffing.

This is serious. Hopefully, it will motivate some in congress to begin earnest negotiations.

Jaww
01-25-2019, 08:16 AM
This is serious. Hopefully, it will motivate some in congress to begin earnest negotiations.

It wonít. And thatís because both sides feel they are fighting for more serious issues. Thus, things like this are allowed to happen to blue collar Americans.

Flytolive
01-25-2019, 08:23 AM
If youíve done much flying through LGA, youíll know that delays of this proportion are hardly newsworthy.It is when it is VFR. Fake pilot or passionate low-information voter?

Flyby1206
01-25-2019, 08:49 AM

It is Friday afternoon, a few 4hr departure delays from DCA will change their tune.

ClearCreek
01-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Some news articles suggested that routes were being closed. I guess it all depends on where the staffing short falls are and that impacts the routes available.

GP

Only the coolest guys sign their post with an abbreviation of their name.

GuardPolice
01-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Damn skippy.

GP

8ballfreight
01-25-2019, 09:52 AM
It is Friday afternoon, a few 4hr departure delays from DCA will change their tune.

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.spJqznP2ly0_Qzu1ZJlyjgHaEJ&pid=Api

Jaww
01-25-2019, 10:18 AM
It wonít. And thatís because both sides feel they are fighting for more serious issues. Thus, things like this are allowed to happen to blue collar Americans.

Glad Iím wrong.

John Carr
01-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Everyone remeber the sequestor a years back?

Amazing how quickly things got ďfixedĒ when D.C. became inconvenienced by it.

OOfff
01-25-2019, 10:26 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47007081

And weíre back in business

Two Kings
01-25-2019, 11:14 AM
For three weeks...

ERflyer
01-25-2019, 11:55 AM

Somebody sure thought it was important because they agreed to open the government within a few hours of these delays. Without money for the wall.

casual observer
01-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Glad Iím wrong.

Me too. This is good news and I'm more optimistic than I was a few hours ago.

Maybe Democracy is ugly but gets you to the right place in the end.

captjns
01-25-2019, 01:35 PM
Uncivilized if the event of the year is interfere with:D:

Softpayman
01-25-2019, 02:15 PM
My friend not in aviation, ďdude theyíre stopping flights from landing in LGA!Ē Me, ďthat happens 2-3 times a week due to weather.

Guess itís not a big deal until the ORANGE Man causes it.

Flyby1206
01-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Uncivilized if the event of the year is interfere with:D:

Bread and circuses

m3113n1a1
01-25-2019, 03:34 PM

You forgot the CC

atooraya
01-25-2019, 05:05 PM
My friend not in aviation, ďdude theyíre stopping flights from landing in LGA!Ē Me, ďthat happens 2-3 times a week due to weather.

Its okay to shut down the government and create delays in some of the busiest airports in the world because it happens sometimes with weather anyway.

What a great way to support the stupidity of demanding $5b for a border wall, costing the economy $6b, to ultimately come out with nothing.

guppie
01-25-2019, 06:40 PM

gov'ment is back open. But no wall funding. Bada Bing

Bluesideup1
01-26-2019, 01:00 AM
gov'ment is back open. But no wall funding. Bada Bing

I bet the future illegal aliens are thrilled.

captjns
01-26-2019, 02:06 AM
Its okay to shut down the government and create delays in some of the busiest airports in the world because it happens sometimes with weather anyway.

What a great way to support the stupidity of demanding $5b for a border wall, costing the economy $6b, to ultimately come out with nothing.

I guess some got more from the Wharton School of business than others:rolleyes:.

badflaps
01-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Bus all the new border bumpers to the Embarcadero and see how Nancy takes it.:D

GogglesPisano
01-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Remind me... I forgot... who is suppose to pay for this mid evil wall?:rolleyes:

Mexico, of course.

But it will be via some trade deal using pretzel logic. The base will buy it without question.

ItnStln
01-26-2019, 12:46 PM

According to posts I see on Facebook youíre right.

Flightcap
01-26-2019, 05:23 PM
Would a mod please PM me to explain why my post was deleted?

tomgoodman
01-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Partisan politics are not allowed here, and posts of that nature will have to be deleted. If you quote such a post, then yours will be deleted as well. If you disagree with a Moderator’s decision, send a PM, but do not argue on the forum pages. Thanks for your cooperation.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/rules-announcements/60804-forum-rules.html

NEDude
01-28-2019, 12:40 AM
I bet the future illegal aliens are thrilled.

They would come they way most of them do, legally, and then just overstay their visas. Or if a wall is built, they will just tunnel underneath, like they have in many places already.

full of luv
01-28-2019, 05:25 AM
They would come they way most of them do, legally, and then just overstay their visas. Or if a wall is built, they will just tunnel underneath, like they have in many places already.

So just abandon border control and no borders...... either you want to attempt to control something with all means available or just save the money on border control altogether. Right now we spend hundreds of billions with very ineffective results as you’ve pointed out.

NEDude
01-28-2019, 09:26 AM
So just abandon border control and no borders...... either you want to attempt to control something with all means available or just save the money on border control altogether. Right now we spend hundreds of billions with very ineffective results as youíve pointed out.

Ah, so it's all or nothing huh? No middle ground out there?

Walls have very limited effectiveness. The Berlin wall was just over 96 miles long. There were guard towers stationed at an average of each half mile along the Berlin Wall, with guards who had shoot to kill orders. Even with that, thousands of people were able to make it across. Despite all the security surrounding the White House, numerous people have been able to scale the White House fence over the years. Between February and April 2006, one man was able to scale the White House wall four times! A wall will not be a huge deterrent. Especially when the majority of new illegal immigrants (estimated at 65% by the former Director of the statistics division of the INS) entered the United States legally and then overstayed their visas.

On top of that, border crossings have dropped significantly over the past 20 years. In 2000 there were 1.64 million apprehensions of persons illegally crossing the southern border. In 2018, it was under 400,000. The Department of Homeland Security also estimates that the annual illegal immigrant population has slowed considerably, peaking at around 470,000 in 2007, but shrinking to 70,000 by 2015. The estimate of the total number of illegal immigrants living in the United States has declined from a peak of 12.2 million in 2007, to 10.7 million in 2016. By all reports, the problem of illegal immigration is a declining problem.

The wall is a very expensive, but ineffective solution to a significantly declining problem. There are far better ways to spend billions of dollars.

Slaphappy
01-28-2019, 09:40 AM

Israel, Hungary and Macedonia disagree. They built walls keeping out the migrants from the Middle-east and Africa in 2016 and it went from 10's of thousands of migrants a week to less than 100.

deadseal
01-28-2019, 09:56 AM
Ah, so it's all or nothing huh? No middle ground out there?

Walls have very limited effectiveness. The Berlin wall was just over 96 miles long. There were guard towers stationed at an average of each half mile along the Berlin Wall, with guards who had shoot to kill orders. Even with that, thousands of people were able to make it across. Despite all the security surrounding the White House, numerous people have been able to scale the White House fence over the years. Between February and April 2006, one man was able to scale the White House wall four times! A wall will not be a huge deterrent. Especially when the majority of new illegal immigrants (estimated at 65% by the former Director of the statistics division of the INS) entered the United States legally and then overstayed their visas.

On top of that, border crossings have dropped significantly over the past 20 years. In 2000 there were 1.64 million apprehensions of persons illegally crossing the southern border. In 2018, it was under 400,000. The Department of Homeland Security also estimates that the annual illegal immigrant population has slowed considerably, peaking at around 470,000 in 2007, but shrinking to 70,000 by 2015. The estimate of the total number of illegal immigrants living in the United States has declined from a peak of 12.2 million in 2007, to 10.7 million in 2016. By all reports, the problem of illegal immigration is a declining problem.

The wall is a very expensive, but ineffective solution to a significantly declining problem. There are far better ways to spend billions of dollars.

Pssst, donít use facts......they donít care. Itís all or nothin!! my way or the highway!! Compromise is for weak adults only!

Extenda
01-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Itís hard to comprehend what the argument is. The border is 1950 miles long and composed of mountains, shifting river beds, deserts, densely populated urban areas, etc. There are already walls/fences where they are effective, like around San Diego and El Paso. It seems this whole thing was manufactured as a wedge issue designed to further fracture American society, and pit us against eachother, when by and large weíre all in favor of smart, humane border security. It pains me to see the whole thing causing distress to my fellow Americans and specifically fellow aviation professionals.

tomgoodman
01-28-2019, 12:10 PM
This thread has drifted farther than the Kon-Tiki did. Feel free to start a new one where it belongs: Hangar Talk.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1