Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CRJ-200 flight manual

JohnDoe23
01-27-2019, 05:09 PM
Gday guys,

I am keen to get studying as much tech and systems as I can for my upcoming class.

Can anyone help me with a pdf copy of the FM for the CRJ-200?

Sincerely,

John

Claxstarr
01-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Yea, that’s company sensitive info and shouldn’t be passed around.

DarkSideMoon
01-27-2019, 05:35 PM
Gday guys,

I am keen to get studying as much tech and systems as I can for my upcoming class.

Can anyone help me with a pdf copy of the FM for the CRJ-200?

Sincerely,

John

Study what they give you when they give it to you. You’ll get yourself into the weeds really quick trying to study the bombardier manual before you even show up to class.

Hawker445
01-27-2019, 11:05 PM
Not going to say where but it is possible to buy the training manual (that's from the manufacturer), but like it was mentioned...bad idea.. You don't want to learn something you're not supposed to.

Theres like two (three?) binders that are essentially $300 each.

Check Complete
01-28-2019, 03:00 AM
Like others have said, good intentions, not so good application.

Just learn what the company wants you to know, and how they want it taught, and you’ll fine.

The company over years of operations has refined what you need to know to make you an effective element of operations.

The FCOM goes into way to much detail and is really more of an engineering doc than crew manual.

Admire your enthusiasm, but throttle down some, wait for class.

usmc-sgt
01-28-2019, 03:52 AM
What they all said. If you want to get your hands on something, get the memory items. Best training advice I can give is to learn ONLY what tell you to learn, and learn it when they tell you. Once you’re on the line you can memorize the FCOM and find out what’s exactly on AC essential bus 1. One of the quickest ways to have a miserable training experience is to try to color outside the lines.

amcnd
01-28-2019, 04:12 AM
Ya. Your better off learning memory items and ask a friend that works there to teach you at callouts/actions for a ILS And missed approach procedure... (your sim instructor will thank him)

rickair7777
01-28-2019, 06:19 AM
Yea, that’s company sensitive info and shouldn’t be passed around.

Yes, it would be a violation of federal law for anyone to provide SSI to someone who is not employed yet.

Blackhawk
01-28-2019, 06:30 AM
I am going to disagree somewhat.
A good pilot should ALWAYS be learning.
As pointed out you will not get the specific SkyWest material beforehand.
Emergency memory items and limitations are fine, but understand that they may be slightly different in wording unless you have the specific SkyWest procedures.
Systems are systems. A SkyWest CRJ-200 is no different from an ExpressJet CRJ-200. Well, in some cases it was an ExpressJet CRJ-200 (couldn't resist). So if you Google some of the CRJ-200 systems such as hydraulics, engines, flight controls, pressurization, etc that would help.
Also, if you have a copy of "Everything Explained for the Professional Plot", study that. Understand alternate requirements, etc.

Hou757
01-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Emergency memory items and limitations are fine, but understand that they may be slightly different in wording unless you have the specific SkyWest procedures.
Systems are systems. A SkyWest CRJ-200 is no different from an ExpressJet CRJ-200. Well, in some cases it was an ExpressJet CRJ-200 (couldn't resist). So if you Google some of the CRJ-200 systems such as hydraulics, engines, flight controls, pressurization, etc that would help.
Also, if you have a copy of "Everything Explained for the Professional Plot", study that. Understand alternate requirements, etc.

So you went to Skypest and not Kalitta?

Blackhawk
01-28-2019, 09:57 AM
So you went to Skypest and not Kalitta?

Nope. But a guy asked a generic question. Or is something I wrote incorrect?
I’ve been through enough training courses to know what helps, what doesn’t help, and what can hurt. Getting a head start on genetic material is rarely detrimental. As a matter of fact those who did not do so in my latest course and showed up assuming they would be taught everything were at a serious disadvantage.

Hou757
01-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Nope. But a guy asked a generic question. Or is something I wrote incorrect?

Looks like he’s asking a Skywest guy the question and you are answering as one.

Blackhawk
01-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Looks like he’s asking a Skywest guy the question and you are answering as one.

I’m answering as a pilot who has been through a few type courses and has taught type courses. Some stuff does not change no matter the aircraft type or who teaches it, such as the question “What happens when you pull the fire handle?” That question comes up on almost every oral. ATR, CRJ, ERJ, 747... doesn't matter. They ask that question. The answer varies by type, but what it does in each type is the same no matter who operates it. Or does SkyWest fly some supper special variant of the CRJ-200 that has a different fire handle? :rolleyes:
SkyWest training may be good, but it’s not all that special. I know they are taught to think that they see the son of Bob Hoover in the mirror each morning but that’s not quite the case.

Turbosina
01-28-2019, 12:29 PM
. Or does SkyWest fly some supper special variant of the CRJ-200 that has a different fire handle? :rolleyes:

There's a fire handle on the CRJ?!? After five years on that bird I still haven't found it... 🤔

Blackhawk
01-28-2019, 12:45 PM
There's a fire handle on the CRJ?!? After five years on that bird I still haven't found it... 🤔

The airplane I just typed in has a handle, so I used that terminology out of habit since I dumped the CRJ stuff. But be it a switch-light, a handle or something else they generally do the same thing- squibs, air, fuel, spark, and hydraulics. Specifics vary from one airplane to the next- (in some of the helicopters I flew they did the same thing). The advice to someone learning a new type who wants to get ahead stands. Learn the general systems. A CRJ-200 in the US generally has the same systems no matter who flies it.

hav3atps
01-28-2019, 02:51 PM
Have you looked for study material on Quizlet? Type Skywest in the search. There's loads of info including CRJ200 stuff. Just throwing the guy a bone..

Flying Spike
01-28-2019, 04:05 PM
Have you looked for study material on Quizlet? Type Skywest in the search. There's loads of info including CRJ200 stuff. Just throwing the guy a bone..

He might also want to check out “CRJ 200 CBT” on YouTube, it is a “vanilla” course of 103 videos that will at least give you an insight into the systems.

Turbosina
01-28-2019, 04:48 PM
The airplane I just typed in has a handle, so I used that terminology out of habit since I dumped the CRJ stuff. But be it a switch-light, a handle or something else they generally do the same thing- squibs, air, fuel, spark, and hydraulics. Specifics vary from one airplane to the next- (in some of the helicopters I flew they did the same thing). The advice to someone learning a new type who wants to get ahead stands. Learn the general systems. A CRJ-200 in the US generally has the same systems no matter who flies it.

I know, I know. Just messing with ya 😉

ninerdriver
01-29-2019, 03:59 AM
I know they are taught to think that they see the son of Bob Hoover in the mirror each morning

*triggered*

*trying really hard to not say something snarky about how the jumpseat on the 200 is different at OO*

*face scrunches up and turns red*

Ahem.

rickair7777
01-29-2019, 08:29 AM
*triggered*

*trying really hard to not say something snarky about how the jumpseat on the 200 is different at OO*

*face scrunches up and turns red*

Ahem.

The jumpseat is the same, but the W&B/CG configuration is different... very nose heavy, after the FAA changed the pax weights.

Blackhawk
01-29-2019, 08:46 AM
The jumpseat is the same, but the W&B/CG configuration is different... very nose heavy, after the FAA changed the pax weights.

Yeah. Things like that may change. Seat configuration may change- I remember flying the 40 seat -200’s. Companies may have different limits, such as more restrictive flap speeds. That’s why I tell people to steer clear of things like limits and EPS. Just go over general systems on the airframe.

sofarup
01-29-2019, 02:07 PM
I know they are taught to think that they see the son of Bob Hoover in the mirror each morning but that’s not quite the case.

Now that's just not true. We COME IN thinking we're the sons/daughters of Bob Hoover. :D

vessbot
01-29-2019, 03:31 PM
If pre-studying systems can jeopardize someone's training, then there's something wrong with the airline's training department.

But yeah stay away from procedures, limitations, and memory items because they could be airline-specific.

(Also not a Skywest guy.)

amcnd
01-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Everyone thinks they need to study “systems”. That may have been true 15-20 years ago. Not today.... Please study flows/callouts/profiles....

Not knowing what psi the boost pump turns on when the main ejector fails. Won’t salvage :45 lost in the sim because you can get missed approach call outs and actions down after the 10th attempt...

ninerdriver
01-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Everyone thinks they need to study “systems”. That may have been true 15-20 years ago. Not today.... Please study flows/callouts/profiles....

Not knowing what psi the boost pump turns on when the main ejector fails. Won’t salvage :45 lost in the sim because you can get missed approach call outs and actions down after the 10th attempt...

It's green, so it must be okay. It's amber, so something needs to change.

It sounds stupid, but this is how the CRJ works.

Amcnd: I'm actually agreeing with you on something. What is this world coming to?

Blackhawk
01-29-2019, 06:55 PM

Studying flows/callouts/profiles is tough to do unless you KNOW you have the specific airline information and are doing it EXACTLY the way they want. Otherwise, it is worse than a waste of time.
Knowing systems is always important, maybe not for the "make-believe world" of the sim, but for the real world where your life will depend on it. Do you need to know the specific psi when a boost bump turns on? Probably not. "It's green so it must be okay" is true. But that's limitations, not systems knowledge.
You do need to have an understanding of the systems and how they operate and interact. As an example, if you get a hydraulic high temp on a CRJ-200, what will this mean? Yeah, the QRH will tell you to shut down the engine, but it should not come as a surprise. Other emergencies may crop up that are not in a QRH, and at that point, it comes down to systems knowledge.
"I was always afraid of dying. Always. It was my fear that made me learn everything I could about my airplane and my emergency equipment and kept me flying respectful of my machine and always alert in the cockpit."
— General Chuck Yeager, ‘Yeager, An Autobiography.

amcnd
01-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Anyone with 1/2 a brain could figure that out. “SkyWest” calouts and actions.... nust pointing out when you get the info, Or get with a friend that’s already flying. And study flows/callouts. Not how many HYD pumps we have. And when they turn on...

TheFly
01-29-2019, 08:52 PM

Yes, a good pilot is always learning. However, there’s nothing worse than studying the wrong thing or unnecessary things in initial training. Get your feet wet, learn what you need to learn then build from there.

SteakSauce
02-01-2019, 01:47 PM
I thought they dumbed down ground school enough?? I heard you just show up go home tool on the computer for a couple hours and boom you're on your way to the sim?? Why do we even need to know the systems?? :D