Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

FAFWaterbro
02-01-2019, 03:24 PM
I'm a full-time student at UND, just got my PPL, working on my instrument.

My goal is to go fly for Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon, Hongkong Airline or Singapore Airline. The sooner the better.

There are Career Pathway Programs advertised from many regionals in the school, many I can join for mentorship or seniority in a later time.

-I don't have a preference in base options, I can go live anywhere near that base, I won't need to commute.

-I'm 27 years old. Should be reaching 1000 hrs R-ATP in 3 years.

What are some aspects I should consider when looking at which company to go right now? Fleet? Upgrade time?

How should I plan right now to get to my end goal?

I don't personally know anyone in the airlines, so I figure this is probably the best place to look for suggestions.

Answers are all sincerely appreciated! Thanks! :)

SteakSauce
02-01-2019, 03:38 PM
First off with all the flow programs at regional airlines i would say read the fine print carefully, These programs usually make over promises, so dig in and look at the hardcore numbers.

Second i wouldn't recommend the Asian carriers unless you love china and want to live there forever. I have a lot of buddies doing that thing and aren't getting picked up by the big three.

Your last questions are hard to answer, everything changes so fast especially in the regionals, I would tell you to focus on what you want. A lot of people are willing to sell there children to get to a major airline, my advice is there's more to life than flying in a straight line for hours. Live your life and focus on what you want next. Lots of good regional options out there I recommend Envoy, SkyWest, Republic. Those are the largest and have the most stable growth environments.

There's no secret formula

Good Luck

FAFWaterbro
02-01-2019, 03:47 PM
First off with all the flow programs at regional airlines i would say read the fine print carefully, These programs usually make over promises, so dig in and look at the hardcore numbers.

Second i wouldn't recommend the Asian carriers unless you love china and want to live there forever. I have a lot of buddies doing that thing and aren't getting picked up by the big three.

Your last questions are hard to answer, everything changes so fast especially in the regionals, I would tell you to focus on what you want. A lot of people are willing to sell there children to get to a major airline, my advice is there's more to life than flying in a straight line for hours. Live your life and focus on what you want next. Lots of good regional options out there I recommend Envoy, SkyWest, Republic. Those are the largest and have the most stable growth environments.

There's no secret formula

Good Luck

The main reason is that I was born there. I speak fluent Mandarin Chinese.
Great thoughts! Thanks!

MD-11Loader
02-01-2019, 03:52 PM

My goal is to go fly for Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon, Hongkong Airline or Singapore Airline. The sooner the better.

There are Career Pathway Programs advertised from many regionals in the school, many I can join for mentorship or seniority in a later time.

-I don't have a preference in base options, I can go live anywhere near that base, I won't need to commute.

What are some aspects I should consider when looking at which company to go right now? Fleet? Upgrade time?

I don't personally know anyone in the airlines, so I figure this is probably the best place to look for suggestions.

Cathay has their own cadet program. You should look into it now and see if it is a good fit for you.

TiredSoul
02-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Try a different approach.
Research the hiring requirements for the airlines you are interested in then add 50% on top of the minimums.
Work backwards from there to where you are now and decide on a path.

FAFWaterbro
02-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Cathay has their own cadet program. You should look into it now and see if it is a good fit for you.

I already did look into that. It is not possible anymore in my situation.
I'm a US citizen.

FAFWaterbro
02-01-2019, 03:57 PM
Try a different approach.
Research the hiring requirements for the airlines you are interested in then add 50% on top of the minimums.
Work backwards from there to where you are now and decide on a path.

50%. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

havick206
02-01-2019, 04:10 PM

Goto pprune and check out the Cathay forums there. It may change your mind pretty quickly about working for Cathay.

TiredSoul
02-01-2019, 04:12 PM
50%. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

That number is a bit of a random guess.
Minimum hiring requirements doesn’t mean that’s what they’re looking for, it’s the minimum they will accept.
You need more sometimes much more to be competitive in the hiring process.
Hence the 50% more to get in the safe zone.

jake cutter
02-01-2019, 04:26 PM
UND huh? How’re your video production skills?

FAFWaterbro
02-01-2019, 04:47 PM
UND huh? How’re your video production skills?

HAHA honestly sir, I think Swayne does a pretty good job.

FAFWaterbro
02-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Goto pprune and check out the Cathay forums there. It may change your mind pretty quickly about working for Cathay.

Did not know such place exist.
Thanks

IFRDriver
02-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Try getting into regional with more CRJ flying. Get PIC time and applying for China Express, go from there.

Or try direct interview with those Chinese airlines, they have paid training program, once you get your multi-commercial you will intially start with B737/A320, and flying international widebody within only 5 years.

Or get your Commercial/instructor rating, get into GA gig in China(mostly flight training), get additional 500hrs TT and applying those Chinese Legacies.

If you thinking about go from american regional airlines and upgrade to legacies, get your B737 /A320 pic time and apply, you are too old to apply. The maximum age applying for those Chinese Legacies are 40.

IFRDriver
02-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Everyone has different opinions about working overseas, especially in Asian countries. Some people succeed and enjoyed some people just feel uncomfortable and everything goes bad quickly. Most reason feeling uncomfortable were culture shock, language barrier and far away from families.

Since he was from Asian countries he should be good for that.

havick206
02-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Everyone has different opinions about working overseas, especially in Asian countries. Some people succeed and enjoyed some people just feel uncomfortable and everything goes bad quickly. Most reason feeling uncomfortable were culture shock, language barrier and far away from families.

If you read that forum you will see how Cathay specifically treat their pilots.

You just have to look at the massive difference in contracts that new hires are on compared to legacy pilots their.

I wasn’t generalizing about Asian carriers in general as their are some good gigs were pilots are treated fairly well and paid handsomely.

Cathay is a different beast.

uavking
02-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Cathay is not the career gig that it used to be; doesn't matter if you're an expat or local. Management is adversarial, and bent on aggressive cost cutting (see the push towards local contracts). An airline that seeks concessions, in an environment in which it already has trouble attracting talent, should be a warning of things to come.

TiredSoul
02-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Alternatively get to a 737/320 type as quick as you can.
Preferably with 500 PIC then head to China.
Current expat contracts are $250k-$350k a year.

IFRDriver
02-02-2019, 04:02 PM
If you read that forum you will see how Cathay specifically treat their pilots.

You just have to look at the massive difference in contracts that new hires are on compared to legacy pilots their.

I wasn’t generalizing about Asian carriers in general as their are some good gigs were pilots are treated fairly well and paid handsomely.

Cathay is a different beast.

Yep, Even based in Hong Kong it's all depends on who is actual boss for that carrier.

He mentioned Hong Kong Airline would be a best bet since the actual boss were Hainan Airlines group, best pay large fleet and transfer to different base easily.

IFRDriver
02-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Alternatively get to a 737/320 type as quick as you can.
Preferably with 500 PIC then head to China.
Current expat contracts are $250k-$350k a year.

If go with flow, he will get his 737/320 pic time around late 40s.
Definitely not acceptable with those Asian carriers(age of 40 max mostly).

Hopefully some carrier would not care about age but working with Chinese medical would be a big pain at the age.

So if eventually decide fly overseas should make a quick decision jump into any opportunity to get specific type pic time ASAP. Unfortunately, most of them are oversea job.

Since he just start yet best bet would go with those Asian carriers from scratch.

Or if stay in US any LCC would be upgrade in year 2 or 3?

TiredSoul
02-02-2019, 06:00 PM
If go with flow, he will get his 737/320 pic time around late 40s.
Definitely not acceptable with those Asian carriers(age of 40 max mostly).

Hopefully some carrier would not care about age but working with Chinese medical would be a big pain at the age.

So if eventually decide fly overseas should make a quick decision jump into any opportunity to get specific type pic time ASAP. Unfortunately, most of them are oversea job.

Since he just start yet best bet would go with those Asian carriers from scratch.

Or if stay in US any LCC would be upgrade in year 2 or 3?

Flow is not the holy grail.
Lotsa places fly the 73 with a relatively quick upgrade.

FAFWaterbro
02-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Flow is not the holy grail.
Lotsa places fly the 73 with a relatively quick upgrade.

Which place besides Suncountry fly 73 and upgrade quick?

TiredSoul
02-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Swift Air :D
You obviously have internet access as you’re posting here so may I suggest a little more effort on your side?

FAFWaterbro
02-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Swift Air :D
You obviously have internet access as you’re posting here so may I suggest a little more effort on your side?

Yes, of course. That’s what I’m here for