Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Flight Deck Pro-X thread

jake cutter
02-07-2019, 12:04 PM
So it seems like a central discussion thread on our new EFB app might be warranted....

Cyio
02-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Yeah I was just playing around with it, seems about the same really except a few things are in different spots. The ability to erase parts of your annotations as opposed to entire strokes is also nice.

As for weather, pretty sure we are still using WSI, so shrug, not sure about that upgrade.

Overall, it will be like everything else, strange at first and then you won't even think about it.

This is of course, I am not missing some huge glaring improvement or change, lol.

highfarfast
02-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Yeah I was just playing around with it, seems about the same really except a few things are in different spots. The ability to erase parts of your annotations as opposed to entire strokes is also nice.

As for weather, pretty sure we are still using WSI, so shrug, not sure about that upgrade.

Overall, it will be like everything else, strange at first and then you won't even think about it.

This is of course, I am not missing some huge glaring improvement or change, lol.

Iíve got one glaring improvement I noticed right off the bat: When switching apps you donít have to wait for the circle load thing.

teamflyer
02-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Is it me or does it take really long to swipe through charts. It takes a full 3 seconds to load the chart.....

Pntbllr233
02-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Itís a cheap, bootleg copy of ForeFlight.

Grabo172
02-07-2019, 03:41 PM

Without any useful sectional or enroute chart information... 🙄

jake cutter
02-07-2019, 03:56 PM
Werenít we supposed to be getting some kind of Foreflight/Jepp hybrid, or is this it? Iíve only installed it and havenít messed with it yet.

NoValueAviator
02-07-2019, 05:00 PM
I wonder how long itíll take before we finally switch to foreflight. There really isnít anything better, it certainly dunks on JeppFD.

EnyFlyr
02-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Not even close to ForeFlight. I have to admit I am very dissapointed with this new download. I really thought this would be a significant improvement, yet itís pretty much the same just a slightly different presentation.

dera
02-07-2019, 09:01 PM
I wonder how long itíll take before we finally switch to foreflight. There really isnít anything better, it certainly dunks on JeppFD.

Foreflight is usually cost prohibitive. It's way, way more expensive than Jepp.

BigZ
02-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Foreflight is usually cost prohibitive. It's way, way more expensive than Jepp.

Huh?
Company uses Jepp subscription. Native Jepp app to view their stuff. Why go elsewhere?
Nothing wrong with the ForeFlight, personally preferred Garmin Pilot though, but why reinvent the wheel if this things has been blessed to show you the plates and does it reasonably well.

dera
02-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Huh?
Company uses Jepp subscription. Native Jepp app to view their stuff. Why go elsewhere?
Nothing wrong with the ForeFlight, personally preferred Garmin Pilot though, but why reinvent the wheel if this things has been blessed to show you the plates and does it reasonably well.

I don't mind it, it was just a comment when someone said we should've got Foreflight.

I'm a GP guy too when I fly GA.

BigZ
02-07-2019, 09:35 PM
I don't mind it, it was just a comment when someone said we should've got Foreflight.

I'm a GP guy too when I fly GA.

I was just wondering if you knew something about the FF corporate pricing.
I remember that the Jepp app for the small shops was on the much more expensive side of the scale.

dera
02-07-2019, 09:48 PM
I was just wondering if you knew something about the FF corporate pricing.
I remember that the Jepp app for the small shops was on the much more expensive side of the scale.

Ah ok, yes I do actually. My previous shop went with Jepp/other providers, because Foreflight was cost prohibitive. We're talking about 20-30% difference in pricing.
A good friend of mine works at FF corporate. Got to pay for that Citation Mustang somehow :)

BigZ
02-07-2019, 10:21 PM
Ah ok, yes I do actually. My previous shop went with Jepp/other providers, because Foreflight was cost prohibitive. We're talking about 20-30% difference in pricing.
A good friend of mine works at FF corporate. Got to pay for that Citation Mustang somehow :)
Go figure! My old shop was FF for everyone and Jepp for CA for island stuff.

CaseTractor
02-09-2019, 08:35 AM
What does everyone think so far? I like the NOTAMS feature, and seems more stable upon opening the app, no 3 second spinning wheel wait to see plate.

would be nice to be able to load an approach with fixes as foreflight can, but don't think it can be done. Loaded a runway a few times, but not too helpful. WX function is not terrible, but WSI way better still.

It's nice it kept saved flight plans

UncreativeUser
02-09-2019, 11:31 AM

New Jepp uses the same source as WSI. The source is The Weather Company

https://business.weather.com/products/pilotbrief

Hereís Jeppís website about it

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/aviation/products/flitedeck-pro-x/index.jsp

So essentially the WSI app could be obsolete since itís the same source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigZ
02-09-2019, 12:52 PM
New Jepp uses the same source as WSI. The source is The Weather Company

https://business.weather.com/products/pilotbrief

Hereís Jeppís website about it

FliteDeck Pro X | EFB Enroute Airline Flight App | Jeppesen (http://ww1.jeppesen.com/aviation/products/flitedeck-pro-x/index.jsp)

So essentially the WSI app could be obsolete since itís the same source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be nice to have access to the weather information inflight?
But, I guess, that would require the company to work out a deal with gogo to allow Jepp app traffic to be free.

Captain Kirk
02-09-2019, 02:43 PM
But, I guess, that would require the company to work out a deal with gogo to allow Jepp app traffic to be free.

WiFi on the 145... we can dream canít we?

Jamesthunder
02-09-2019, 04:33 PM

I've got a piece of string, who has two cans?

ENH017
02-09-2019, 04:35 PM
I've got a piece of string, who has two cans?

Two cans would put us in the forward caution zone

BigZ
02-09-2019, 04:39 PM

145... 145... oh, we still fly those??

[/kidding]

UncreativeUser
02-10-2019, 11:10 AM

I know...

After listening to an earnings call sometime last year apparently AA got ****ed off at GoGo for charging mainline pilots extra for having their own login/portal to access in flight weather/internet and they were in the process of extending that same access to the WOís. Clearly a deal wasnít worked out and thatís why they went Viasat and Panasonic while freezing the access for us. Thatís how we got to the cluster of in-flight WiFi that we have learned to love today..

However, being that Jeppesen has better sourcing from WSI and does delta data downloads (smaller download sizes) I wouldnít rule out that possibility in the future imho!

bigtime209
02-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Inflight WIFI for WSI was on its way to Envoy last year. Around this time last year, a 30 day trial period began on the 175 and CRJ that would have the iPads automatically connect to the WIFI above 10,000ft that would allow access strictly to WSI. About halfway through the trial program, those in the test group got word the the trial was terminated. The FAA wanted the STC for the airplane to be rewritten to specifically state that inflight WIFI use for WSI in the cockpit was permitted. That process began and took several months. By the time that was sorted out, AA had begun shifting away from GoGo and as a result GoGo was not pleased. So in order to give Envoy access to the WIFI, they were going to charge and exorbitant amount of money. Envoy said no thanks and that was the end of that.

pitchattitude
02-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Anyone know anything about what Delta uses? I watched a show on the weather channel about people afraid to fly. They were showing what I think it was Delta had. It had real time information on turbulence. Showed up similar to the way the winds aloft layers are shown. Obviously requires inflight internet as well.

MD-11Loader
02-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Anyone know anything about what Delta uses? I watched a show on the weather channel about people afraid to fly. They were showing what I think it was Delta had. It had real time information on turbulence. Showed up similar to the way the winds aloft layers are shown. Obviously requires inflight internet as well.

Delta has their own program which takes the turbulence data from all of their aircraft and sends it back out to the fleet in real time. Itís pretty cool to see.

BigZ
02-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Inflight WIFI for WSI was on its way to Envoy last year. Around this time last year, a 30 day trial period began on the 175 and CRJ that would have the iPads automatically connect to the WIFI above 10,000ft that would allow access strictly to WSI. About halfway through the trial program, those in the test group got word the the trial was terminated. The FAA wanted the STC for the airplane to be rewritten to specifically state that inflight WIFI use for WSI in the cockpit was permitted. That process began and took several months. By the time that was sorted out, AA had begun shifting away from GoGo and as a result GoGo was not pleased. So in order to give Envoy access to the WIFI, they were going to charge and exorbitant amount of money. Envoy said no thanks and that was the end of that.
Thanks for the info.
Flying in the back I do prefer the new provider for the fact that IFE can be used gate to gate as a side effect of the wifi being on gate to gate, but that's about the extent of my experience with it.

uavking
02-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info.
Flying in the back I do prefer the new provider for the fact that IFE can be used gate to gate as a side effect of the wifi being on gate to gate, but that's about the extent of my experience with it.

That's simply by virtue of being a satellite, as opposed to cellular, based solution. GoGo offers a similar product called 2Ku that is fast, gate to gate, and is Delta's chosen solution. My understanding is that a satellite solution has a greater weight penalty than cellular installs which is why we're unlikely to see it on RJs. The switch from GoGo at AA is driven by a contractual dispute dating back several years.

dera
02-10-2019, 09:19 PM
I just installed it. I've got to say - the 3 second pause when changing apps is gone, and that alone is worth the update.

Few other things that are also better. tap->direct to for example which is much faster now. And tap->VOR info.
Lots of small upgrades it seems. It's no Foreflight, but it seems to be much, much better than the old piece of junk.