Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Regarding aircraft assignment

chozoghost4
02-19-2019, 04:06 PM
What are the chances for a UPS pilot being assigned to the 747?

Is it possible for a new hire to be assigned to one, like with Atlas?

If no, how long would one have to build seniority in order to get a spot in the 747? I'm also assuming a Boeing aircraft type rating would work in one's favor.

Jassbuff
02-19-2019, 04:13 PM
New hires get the 747 all the time. It helps if you have previous experience in it. If you don’t get it then it will be at least 1 year before you can switch due to seatlock.

BrownDoubles
02-19-2019, 04:14 PM

Is it possible for a new hire to be assigned to one, like with Atlas?

If no, how long would one have to build seniority in order to get a spot in the 747? I'm also assuming a Boeing aircraft type rating would work in one's favor.

It is possible to be assigned any aircraft and base. In the past UPS has been splitting classes and placing those with heavy/international experience in a "heavy" class (74/MD) and everyone else in a class the next day for 75/76/A300. I believe the initial seat lock is 18 months; so you would be able to bid to anything you can hold on the next system bid. If the 74 is where you want to be and you didn't get it initially it would be safe to assume (today) that you would be on it in 2-2.5 years. YMMV and all that stuff...

FrontSeat2
02-19-2019, 05:33 PM

If you live in ANC the chances are zero.

chozoghost4
02-19-2019, 06:12 PM
If you live in ANC the chances are zero.

Why is that?

Ray Kinsella
02-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Why is that?

He’s kidding. Sort of. We had a new hire who lived in ANC get assigned the A300. Seriously.

Initial seat lock is 18 months. One pay scale so bid whatever you want, wherever you can hold it. Airbus, ONT, and 757 domestic are a bit more junior than the rest, but it’s pretty level overall.

hammer pants
02-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Initial seat lock is 18 months. Keep in mind if the company sticks with 2 bids a year you need to be prepared for up to 2.5 years in your initial assignment.
For example January 2019 hires will most likely have to wait until the winter bid in 2021 due to the timing of their lock running out. Then the wait for class could be over 6 months. I believe they have a class from the December bid that starts in August on the 74.

FrontSeat2
02-20-2019, 04:03 AM
He’s kidding. Sort of. We had a new hire who lived in ANC get assigned the A300. Seriously.

Actually there have been more than a few who live in ANC flying for Polar or Atlas or the other commuters up there that have been assigned the lower 48 initially.

I just shared a jumpseat with someone who flys the Z out of SDF, he flew for Polar and lived in Eagle River. Bidding ANC when able.

whalesurfer
02-22-2019, 12:00 AM
I just shared a jumpseat with someone who flys the Z out of SDF, he flew for Polar and lived in Eagle River. Bidding ANC when able.

Very true. Several recent newhires who happen to live in Anchorage (and have int’l and heavy experience) ended up in lower 48?
Why you ask? ..because they can.

CactusCrew
02-22-2019, 06:16 AM
Very true. Several recent newhires who happen to live in Anchorage (and have int’l and heavy experience) ended up in lower 48?
Why you ask? ..because they can.

Training is free. So when he/she bids where they live in 2 years, its no big deal.

:D:D

whalesurfer
02-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Training is free. So when he/she bids where they live in 2 years, its no big deal.

Sure, my point was that we already have guys/gals occasionally calling in sick because they couldn’t make it to ANC. (or so I’ve heard :D )

Placing someone who’s flown internationally in a heavy jet, especially in a type we fly, i. e. 747, and who actually lives in our Anchorage domicile seems like a logical thing to do?

Then again, common sense has always been frowned upon at brown. :rolleyes:

McBoeingBus
02-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Yea, logical, but doesn't take seniority into account. What if the 747 former check airman is the youngest in the class?

tnkrdrvr
02-22-2019, 03:26 PM
It all depends on the class. In mine, the 74 went to the junior guys in the class. YMMV, especially since they split class starts now.

Amacron7
02-22-2019, 04:18 PM
If one was to get ANC who doesnt want it. and there is another who would like to be based in ANC can you trade when you get the aircraft/domicile assignment?

tnkrdrvr
02-22-2019, 04:24 PM
If one was to get ANC who doesnt want it. and there is another who would like to be based in ANC can you trade when you get the aircraft/domicile assignment?

Officially the answer was no for my class. If you were discreet and very polite about it maybe. Especially if you could sell it as advantageous to the company. However, with the current split class structure, the odds of success have probably gone from poor to terrible.

whalesurfer
02-22-2019, 09:47 PM

I know of several recent cases where the answer was no. I’m sure it’s happened in the past but typically they won’t let you swap.

You bid aircraft choices in your specific class. Let’s say the choices are: sdf 75/76, sdf 75/76z and ont 75/76 - if you’re the most senior person in your class you get your pick. If you’re the most junior person you’ll take what’s left.

ANC in particular is picked by heavy jet/int’l experience. That’s why the company starts these guys/gals a day earlier than the ‘light twin’ classes. Basically they won’t be able to bid out of ANC and those who start a day later won’t be able to bid to ANC whether they live there or not.

whalesurfer
02-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Yea, logical, but doesn't take seniority into account. What if the 747 former check airman is the youngest in the class?

If the person is a former 74 driver typically, not always, but typically he or she will start day before the ‘light-twin’ class.

As a union we don’t like this because the company ‘bypasses’ those newhires’ seniority by creating 747/md11 specific and light-twin specific classes. Basically their class will start one day earlier.

Training department likes it because fewer newhires need additional training nowadays.
In the past the most junior guys/gals, who often didn’t have any international experience, ended up on the 747 strictly because Anchorage is our least desired domicile.

Hope it makes more sense..

Amacron7
02-23-2019, 09:31 PM
So in regards to the March 21st and 22nd class can anyone confirm the 21st is the heavy class and the 22nd is the “light twin class”

rvfanatic
02-24-2019, 05:01 AM
So in regards to the March 21st and 22nd class can anyone confirm the 21st is the heavy class and the 22nd is the “light twin class”

When I was offered 22 mar class on the phone I asked if that was a split class and HR said yes. I then asked is the class 21/22 or 22/23 mar and she said 21/22. Then I acknowledged I wouldn’t be going 747 and she didn’t dispute that.

Gilligan13
02-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Does the Whale do any flying in Europe?

G550Guy
02-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Does the Whale do any flying in Europe?

Cologne and Warsaw... that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section Eight
02-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Say good bye to Warsaw MD guys....we even had a send off! Fire trucks, water cannons, the works!

Fast forward not even 6 months and here we are flying WAW again. Gotta love the forward thinking and in depth planning that went into drawing down the MD.

Just wait til summer, I’ll place even money on some new hires getting ANC MD again before this is all said and done.

G550Guy
02-26-2019, 12:59 PM
I’ll place even money on some new hires getting ANC MD again before this is all said and done.

Bwahahaa....

There’s tons of WAW overnights in the MD bid-packet this week. It’s almost like we never left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CactusCrew
02-26-2019, 01:02 PM
Just wait til summer, I’ll place even money on some new hires getting ANC MD again before this is all said and done.

Probably after displacing another 10-20 off the fleet so its understaffed like the whale.

;):D

whalesurfer
02-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Say good bye to Warsaw MD guys....we even had a send off! Fire trucks, water cannons, the works!

Fast forward not even 6 months and here we are flying WAW again. Gotta love the forward thinking and in depth planning that went into drawing down the MD.

You might be right about MD ANC; they seem to be having second thoughts about shrinking the MD domicile as fast as they did, but who knows, they might pull MDs out of there tomorrow?

However, as far as WAW is concerned we were never told the 74 would be ‘taking it over’. Rather that 74 AND MD would fly there. The ceremony was just to welcome a new ups aircraft type flying into Warszawa.
Supposedly even Sydney might show up on MD schedules every now and then..

chozoghost4
02-28-2019, 09:38 AM
I've gathered that the 74 ANC is in an interesting situation.

Anyone know if it's likely at all the 74 wouldn't be used for the ANC domicile in the future? Honestly I'd want ANC as a base, and the 747 is also a very intriguing piece of equipment. I'm shocked anc isn't desired much. I heard somewhere it's used more than even the worldport

BrownDoubles
02-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Anyone know if it's likely at all the 74 wouldn't be used for the ANC domicile in the future? Honestly I'd want ANC as a base, and the 747 is also a very intriguing piece of equipment. I'm shocked anc isn't desired much. I heard somewhere it's used more than even the worldport

I would say ANC 74 is about as sure a bet as they go for the future, not going anywhere for quite a while.

Ray Kinsella
02-28-2019, 12:03 PM
You might be right about MD ANC; they seem to be having second thoughts about shrinking the MD domicile as fast as they did, but who knows, they might pull MDs out of there tomorrow?

However, as far as WAW is concerned we were never told the 74 would be ‘taking it over’. Rather that 74 AND MD would fly there. The ceremony was just to welcome a new ups aircraft type flying into Warszawa.
Supposedly even Sydney might show up on MD schedules every now and then..

Then why did they make an entire video and press release about the MD11 leaving WAW?

Ray Kinsella
02-28-2019, 12:04 PM

Not even 5% of Worldport.

gsphuntr
02-28-2019, 01:28 PM
ANC has SDF beat on volume including all air cargo carriers combined - but, not by much. As far as UPS is concerned, worldport crushes ANC in volume/operations.

whalesurfer
03-01-2019, 01:17 AM
Then why did they make an entire video and press release about the MD11 leaving WAW?

Good question.

..but I also remember press releases and even some videos about us flying DHL’s packages, or buying TNT and even purchasing 10 A380s (bet those airbuses are really “cheap” now ;) ).

Swedish Blender
03-01-2019, 04:48 AM

Because that was the plan at that Z time. They’re having problems staffing the whale, so plans appear to be changing a little.

Ray Kinsella
03-01-2019, 12:38 PM
Good question.

..but I also remember press releases and even some videos about us flying DHL’s packages, or buying TNT and even purchasing 10 A380s (bet those airbuses are really “cheap” now ;) ).

...and the Postal volume we were poised to steal from Fedex!!!!

whalesurfer
03-05-2019, 09:50 PM
...and the Postal volume we were poised to steal from Fedex!!!!

We did!! On the HNL-GUM leg!! :D

Hellafo
04-09-2019, 05:00 AM
I apologize if this has been asked before, what about a MIA base/aircraft assignment? Is it common for a new hire?

gsphuntr
04-09-2019, 05:38 AM
Very possible. The bottom 1/4 of the MIA seniority list is somewhat of a revolving door... if you don’t get it on day 1, you’ll definitely get it the next system bid.

navigatro
04-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Be aware that the junior schedules in MIA are so bad that some people who live in south Florida choose to commute to SDF rather than MIA.

howardhughes8
04-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Be aware that the junior schedules in MIA are so bad that some people who live in south Florida choose to commute to SDF rather than MIA.

One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. Very true especially at UPS. If you live in South FL and don’t mind doing night turns, it is actually a real good deal. You work 10 days per 28 pay period, home every day, can change a lot of trips around.

One thing for sure, we have MAYBE 10 commutable lines and they obviously go very senior, like 10 years. If you don’t live in base, you will be miserable, no doubt.

bilbobaggins
04-10-2019, 12:54 PM
One man’s garbage is another man’s treasure. Very true especially at UPS. If you live in South FL and don’t mind doing night turns, it is actually a real good deal. You work 10 days per 28 pay period, home every day, can change a lot of trips around.

One thing for sure, we have MAYBE 10 commutable lines and they obviously go very senior, like 10 years. If you don’t live in base, you will be miserable, no doubt.

A buddy of mine from Florida who just hit second year got MIA day 1. At first he did the night turns to South America and wasn't quite happy with it so he successfully bid trips out of base until he had more seniority. It was tough at first but even a year in his schedule has improved dramatically.

SoFloFlyer
04-10-2019, 10:02 PM

Night turns out of MIA has you working 10 days a month? Am I reading this correctly?

howardhughes8
04-11-2019, 03:41 AM
Night turns out of MIA has you working 10 days a month? Am I reading this correctly?

Pure night turn lines yes, 10 turns in a 28 day bid period. We have a few less pure night turn lines now, they are sprinkling those turns on other lines as well.

SoFloFlyer
04-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Pure night turn lines yes, 10 turns in a 28 day bid period. We have a few less pure night turn lines now, they are sprinkling those turns on other lines as well.

That’s not too bad.. 🤔 10 nights a month might be something to consider.

Never been a big fan of night freight, but if UPS coming calling, I’m not gonna say no haha

Hellafo
04-12-2019, 12:29 PM

I'm a night owl, this is a dream come true. And I live 25 minutes from MIA.👍🏽

14bis
09-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Would anyone mind sharing some intel regarding aircraft assignment, bases, and type of flying?

From what I've gathered so far...

A300 - SDF only flying mostly domestic night turns

B75/76 - SDF and MIA flying both Domestic and Int'l. What does "Z" mean?

MD-11 - SDF and ANC

B747 - ANC and now SDF flying Int'l

Also, I've been noticing last classes have been assigned A300 or B75/6.

I appreciate the insights! Cheers :)

FTv3
09-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Would anyone mind sharing some intel regarding aircraft assignment, bases, and type of flying?

MD-11 - SDF and ANC

B747 - ANC

A300 - add Canada Mexico. They also do turns and other mixed type stuff.

75/76 SDF - is like the A300 stuff. I believe it has more day flying options.

76Z = SDf 75/76 international qualified. Lots of international but domestic stuff also finds its way to the fleet. International has a lot of longer work blocks.

75/76 ONT - does a little intl (mostly Asia?) but they also flow through SDF allowing the company to get around some work rule protections SDF crews would otherwise have flying the same trips out of SDF, based on time of day operations (west coast time zone effect on east coast flying).

75/76 MIA, see above posts.

MD = SDF only, ANC closes very soon. Mostly domestic with some international remaining. Does cologne and Hawaii shorter trips. Domestic stuff looks like A300.

74 ANC only for now. SDF base next year and no one knows the initial size but it will go fairly senior. Rumors SDF crews will do more domestic type flying. OTW mostly flying Int'l in various block lengths. 24 hour layovers plague most of the pairings.

Class assignments are always bouncing around. With the new sdf 74 base there’s bound to be a little shakeup in the status quo.

BrownDoubles
09-15-2019, 10:04 AM

MD-11 - SDF and ANC

B747 - ANC and now SDF flying Int'l

In no particular order:
Z is 75/76 international... otherwise known jokingly as zomestic since it isn't pure international. A good portion of the flying is domestic.

A-300 and 75/76 SDF (domestic, ie... non-Z) are relatively similar and I wouldn't say that they are mostly domestic night turns. There is a pretty good mix of morning turns, afternoon turns, chunks (5-7 day) of sort flying both day and night, and shorter, choppier schedules.

MD-11 ANC base is shutting down planes and crew compliment moving to SDF.

747 SDF is opening but is anticipated to be extremely senior... the seniority list is going to shift around -- where it settles only time will tell.

No one really knows what HR is thinking and they aren't sharing; 74 training is still relatively backed up. My guess is that they want to clear the backlog and get the bid out to see where the chips fall before potentially unnecessarily training and then retraining crewmembers who decide to take advantage of the seat lock lift and rebid. So, recently they have focused new hires on the path of least resistance which is the Bus and 75/76.

Just one dudes uninformed, uneducated, outside HR/training perspective.

BrownDoubles
09-15-2019, 10:05 AM
A300 - add Canada Mexico. They also do turns and other mixed type stuff.

75/76 SDF - is like the A300 stuff. I believe it has more day flying options.

76Z = SDf 75/76 international qualified. Lots of international but domestic stuff also finds its way to the fleet. International has a lot of longer work blocks.

75/76 ONT - does a little intl (mostly Asia?) but they also flow through SDF allowing the company to get around some work rule protections SDF crews would otherwise have flying the same trips out of SDF, based on time of day operations (west coast time zone effect on east coast flying).

75/76 MIA, see above posts.

MD = SDF only, ANC closes very soon. Mostly domestic with some international remaining. Does cologne and Hawaii shorter trips. Domestic stuff looks like A300.

74 ANC only for now. SDF base next year and no one knows the initial size but it will go fairly senior. Rumors SDF crews will do more domestic type flying. OTW mostly flying Int'l in various block lengths. 24 hour layovers plague most of the pairings.

Class assignments are always bouncing around. With the new sdf 74 base there’s bound to be a little shakeup in the status quo.

What he said!!

Chris25
09-15-2019, 10:12 AM
From what I've heard, day turn lines and reserve lines are 14 days on in a 28 day period and night turn lines are 11 days on. What are the length of trips if you arent doing turn lines? For example, ONT, SDF, MIA 75/76 are there pairings out there where you're on the road for a few days? If one is given the 747, how are those pairings out of ANC? Week on week off kind of thing?

BoilerUP
09-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Turn lines for SDF Bus, 757 and MD, be them morning or afternoon, are typically built to 12 duty days in a 28 day duty period with most weekend days off. Afternoon turns as a whole tend to run senior to morning turns.

Reserve all fleets is built for 14 duty days in a 28 day pay period, with various block lengths of RSV days.

SDF domestic night sort lines are all over the dang place...standard lines tend to be close to week on/off, day sort lines have trips ranging from 2-7 days, and Base Trip Lines are generally blocks of short trips back-to-back after 12-30 hours off in domicile.

Chris25
09-15-2019, 10:25 AM
Turn lines for SDF Bus and 767, be them morning or afternoon, are typically built to 12 duty days in a 28 day duty period with most weekend days off. Afternoon turns as a whole tend to run senior to morning turns.

Reserve is built for 14 duty days in a 28 day pay period.

SDF domestic sort lines are all over the dang place...

Thanks for the info! Of those days on, either the 14 on reserve, and 12 for turns, how are the stretch of days on. Something like 3-4 days a week? How many days off does one typically get in between working days.

Thanks for all the great info

BoilerUP
09-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info! Of those days on, either the 14 on reserve, and 12 for turns, how are the stretch of days on. Something like 3-4 days a week? How many days off does one typically get in between working days.

Morning turn pattern is typically Tu-Th every week, or Tu-Fri for three weeks with one week off. Afternoon turn pattern is typically Mon-Thurs for three weeks with one week off, sometimes Tu-Th every week.

Occasionally the pattern will be erratic either morning or afternoon, like a week of 5 turns, then a week of 3, then a week of 4.

For SDF reserve, it is fleet dependent but there are patterns that are week on/off (7/7 or 8/6), some patterns working three blocks with a full week off somewhere, and occasional patterns of short blocks every week. Sometimes there are 14-day RSV blocks, but those tend to be more prevalent for MD11 and SDFZ than Bus or SDF 757.

FTv3
09-15-2019, 06:13 PM
From what I've heard, day turn lines and reserve lines are 14 days on in a 28 day period and night turn lines are 11 days on. What are the length of trips if you arent doing turn lines? For example, ONT, SDF, MIA 75/76 are there pairings out there where you're on the road for a few days? If one is given the 747, how are those pairings out of ANC? Week on week off kind of thing?

First year pay thread: http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ups/111442-first-year-pay.html

has lots of info and links to tons more... start at page 15.

Quick link to a night flying example.
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/2874939-post145.html

14bis
09-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Great info! Thanks gents!

Can anyone expand on 75/6 flying out of MIA?

What about reserve? I'd assume a new hire seats on reserve for awhile..

Kevin
09-17-2019, 08:39 AM
As of now, how difficult is it to get DFW?

BoilerUP
09-17-2019, 08:52 AM
As of now, how difficult is it to get DFW?

DFW is not a UPS domicile.

That said, commuting to SDF is pretty easy between company and AA. There's a couple UPS flights to ONT, not sure about MIA or ANC...and again, AA gives more options.

Kevin
09-17-2019, 11:09 AM
DFW is not a UPS domicile.

That said, commuting to SDF is pretty easy between company and AA. There's a couple UPS flights to ONT, not sure about MIA or ANC...and again, AA gives more options.

Ok sorry I'm new to this industry. What's the difference between domicile and hub?

MileHighClub
09-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Ok sorry I'm new to this industry. What's the difference between domicile and hub?

Domicile is a crew base where crews start and end their trips. A hub is an airport where an airline's operations predominantly operate for the hub and spoke method. A hub is often a crew base too, but not always.

RNO Flyer
10-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Is there an appreciable difference in seniority/QOL between A300 and SDF 75/76? At least for junior FOs. Is the training longer or different for SDFz guys, as opposed to domestic?

BoilerUP
10-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Bus tends to be junior fleet in SDF, and therefore has had slightly better progression than Domestic.

RNO Flyer
11-10-2019, 02:50 PM
For a new hire already on the 75/76, any idea how long it would take to move to SDFz?

Busflyer
11-10-2019, 03:08 PM
For a new hire already on the 75/76, any idea how long it would take to move to SDFz?

You could probably bid over to Z whenever the next bid were to come out. We seem to have 1 or 2 bids a year.

jetlaggy
11-10-2019, 03:50 PM

prob could move next month when the bid comes out

MileHighClub
11-10-2019, 07:01 PM
prob could move next month when the bid comes out

I keep hearing of this system bid coming out... still crickets. 😃

howardhughes8
11-11-2019, 07:54 AM
I keep hearing of this system bid coming out... still crickets. 😃

Regular system bids have been June and December, 74 SDF is a different animal.

BoilerUP
11-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Regular system bids have been June and December, 74 SDF is a different animal.

I can't help but think the longer the 747 SDF bid goes without being posted, the more likely it is going to be wrapped up into the regular system bid.

I've been wrong before...

howardhughes8
11-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Nahhhh, you are probably right.

BrownDoubles
11-11-2019, 02:56 PM
I can't help but think the longer the 747 SDF bid goes without being posted, the more likely it is going to be wrapped up into the regular system bid.

I've been wrong before...

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to it coming out separately? Doesn't matter does it?

Dragontamer
11-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know if the Dec 3 class is for heavy or light twin?

BrownDoubles
11-11-2019, 10:40 PM

In the past Monday has been heavy; Tuesday light twin.

Hellafo
11-12-2019, 05:09 AM

74 training is backed up.

whalesurfer
11-20-2019, 10:26 PM
74 training is backed up.

It is?? Numerous open slots in ANC..

HappyTrails
11-21-2019, 06:15 PM
There is going to be massive open slots for 74 ANC. Many ANC guys are bidding for SDF, per Mock Bid #1, although the current 74 ANC folks will not require any additional training. I suspect those will hold, unlike the rest of the first mock/test bid. We have 3 full time 74 sims available, don’t know the instructor staffing issue.

whalesurfer
11-21-2019, 06:33 PM
There is going to be massive open slots for 74 ANC. Many ANC guys are bidding for SDF, per Mock Bid #1, although the current 74 ANC folks will not require any additional training. I suspect those will hold, unlike the rest of the first mock/test bid. We have 3 full time 74 sims available, don’t know the instructor staffing issue.

Not sure about “massive” but yes, some will bid over to SDF. 3 sims are up and running, ANC and SDF are our own, the MIA sim isn’t ours, we lease it when we need it. -400 IPTs are being upgraded in ANC and in SDF.
Many 74 instructor volunteers are still waiting for their checkout training to commence. However, we are either catching up or there’s a slow down in training as classes are smaller and spread out further apart. We could easily train more and just 6-12 months ago did just that.

HappyTrails
11-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Not sure about “massive” but yes, some will bid over to SDF. 3 sims are up and running, ANC and SDF are our own, the MIA sim isn’t ours, we lease it when we need it. -400 IPTs are being upgraded in ANC and in SDF.
Many 74 instructor volunteers are still waiting for their checkout training to commence. However, we are either catching up or there’s a slow down in training as classes are smaller and spread out further apart. We could easily train more and just 6-12 months ago we did just that.

The MIA sim is not ours but we have been leasing it full time since this year and pretty much indefinitely going forward.

whalesurfer
11-21-2019, 06:48 PM
The MIA sim is not ours but we have been leasing it full time since this year and pretty much indefinitely going forward.

Indefinitely? hmm, maybe.. In MIA we’re teaching in a ‘Legacy’ box which none of our 74s uses anymore. No one wants to pay for an upgrade of the sim, we don’t own it so why should we?
So the meaning of ‘indefinitely’ depends on how much longer the feds will allow us to teach in a device which doesn’t accurately represent airplanes we fly.
Maybe we’ll petition for an FMS Cargo Carve-Out?... :rolleyes:

HappyTrails
11-21-2019, 07:03 PM
Indefinitely? hmm, maybe.. In MIA we’re teaching in a ‘Legacy’ box which none of our 74s uses anymore. No one wants to pay for an upgrade of the sim, we don’t own it so why should we?

So the meaning of ‘indefinitely’ depends on how much longer the feds will allow us to teach in a device which doesn’t accurately represent airplanes we fly.

You mean the same Fed that allows us to operate 75/76 with 3 different engines, with 2 different cockpits, and MULTIPLE pretty significant differences between old, new, leased, winglets, non winglets, etc? That Fed statement is a little naive [emoji6]

whalesurfer
11-21-2019, 07:05 PM
That Fed statement is a little naive [emoji6]

That’s your perspective.

HappyTrails
11-21-2019, 07:08 PM
That’s your perspective.

Of course it is, but during my time here it has become clear UPS talks, Feds listen.

nickbvt82
11-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Hi all... I got the call yesterday for a Jan 7th class date... my stats are

2500TT 2200 PIC
F/A-18 1250
T-45 900
Rest a mix of T34 and other single engine prop

Has anybody heard of 747 going to non heavy background types?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Airbum
11-30-2019, 05:43 AM
My guess is that you are slotted for the twins and domestic ops, Mondays seem to be the MD11/747 class start dates. Tuesday the twins.

c5pilot11
11-30-2019, 12:38 PM
My guess is that you are slotted for the twins and domestic ops, Mondays seem to be the MD11/747 class start dates. Tuesday the twins.

HR mentioned when I got the call that they are not splitting the class this time and that all fleets will be on Tuesday. She said this was due to the inability to predict training pipeline requirements for the beginning of the year. I’m sure to be the young pup of the group so just glad to be on the team. :)

cougar
11-30-2019, 09:15 PM

Yes, there was some issue with this, from both the FAA and UPS. This was mitigated in a curriculum change, now requiring the type rating with NGFMC sim (SDF or ANC). The third sim is slated in about 12-18 months.

cougar
11-30-2019, 09:30 PM
You mean the same Fed that allows us to operate 75/76 with 3 different engines, with 2 different cockpits, and MULTIPLE pretty significant differences between old, new, leased, winglets, non winglets, etc? That Fed statement is a little naive [emoji6]

The respective CMO office for the airlines don't arbitrarily get to make these decisions.There are specific FSB reports that are developed by the FAA that detail the specific requirements for differences training. If an operator complies with the FSB report, the FAA is bound by their own document.
That's how Delta could use 5 airplanes (757-200, 757-300, 767-200, 767-300, 767-300ER), with 3/4 engine types (PW2037, PW4000, GE CF6, FADEC and Non-FADEC), and 3 different FMCs (200K, PIP, Pegasus), in one category under one combined type rating.
Consider until the FAA provides a 747-8 type rating, all 747-8 differences, either Qual or CQ, is conducted in an IPT, not a FFS. This will hold even though the 747-8 to 747-400 ratio will be 2 to 1.

BoilerUP
12-01-2019, 07:09 AM
The third sim is slated in about 12-18 months.

Third sim as in a new 747 sim in SDF, or the one being used in MIA?

C2078
12-01-2019, 09:55 AM
There is one sim bay open in SDF... for the 777 sim [emoji2957][emoji2957]