Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CFI pay

JayMahon
03-07-2019, 08:53 AM
I did a search to see if there was already a thread on this but came up empty.

What's the going wage for a new CFI (not interested in 2+ years of CFI experience positions). Locally I'm seeing roles in the $20-25/hr that average 60-100 hours a month.

What else is out there and what are they offering pay/hours wise?

kingsnake2
03-07-2019, 10:30 AM
I did a search to see if there was already a thread on this but came up empty.

What's the going wage for a new CFI (not interested in 2+ years of CFI experience positions). Locally I'm seeing roles in the $20-25/hr that average 60-100 hours a month.

What else is out there and what are they offering pay/hours wise?

It will depend greatly on location. What area are you looking at?

Quieter, low cost of living locations will be in that $20-25 range.

High training volume and high cost of living areas will likely be $25-30.

ByrdmanFL
03-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Between $25-$30 in my area, once you specialize or CFII or ME it can go up to $40-$50 but you cant get as many hours as CFI but that could change depending on demand.

I do not know from experience, just from calling around to the local schools in my area, Central FL. I am not a pilot yet but just checking around in my area to see what the demand is. So far everyone I talked to said they need CFI's, so it shouldnt be a problem finding a job.

PRS Guitars
03-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Make sure you are getting paid the same rate for ground time as well. You should pretty much be paid for handshake to handshake.

kingsnake2
03-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Make sure you are getting paid the same rate for ground time as well. You should pretty much be paid for handshake to handshake.

Also need to know if the pay is W-2 or 1099 contract.

TiredSoul
03-08-2019, 06:23 PM
Should be W-2 as full time flight instructors are NOT independent contractors.

ezydriver
03-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Between $25-$30 in my area, once you specialize or CFII or ME it can go up to $40-$50 but you cant get as many hours as CFI but that could change depending on demand.

How important is to have CFII and ME? a CFI can be enough?

kettlechips
03-09-2019, 12:14 PM
How important is to have CFII and ME? a CFI can be enough?Where I live, a CFI is enough as the vast majority of students are middle age tech guys looking to just get a private

kingsnake2
03-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Should be W-2 as full time flight instructors are NOT independent contractors.

Should be, but many flight schools do still 1099 including ATP. I'm about 90% certain what ATP does is illegal though. They clearly control their instructors schedules and work them full time so no way they meet requirements for a 1099.

kettlechips
03-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Should be, but many flight schools do still 1099 including ATP. I'm about 90% certain what ATP does is illegal though. They clearly control their instructors schedules and work them full time so no way they meet requirements for a 1099.I bet it's also due to those CFIs not understanding what being a contractor entitles you to do

joepilot
03-10-2019, 11:38 AM
I bet it's also due to those CFIs not understanding what being a contractor entitles you to do

Agree in full that these are W-2 jobs, not 1099.

Most new instructors are ignorant of their rights.

Go the Feds after your employment ends, and you will be able to collect some money, and your employer will be in trouble.

Be very sure that your own taxes are in order for the 1099 period first, especially self employment taxes paid.

Joe

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1