Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Worth considering?

3greenOred
03-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Talked to a recruiter today, and looking for some pilots to share the good/bad with TSH? Reserve times seems to be small to non existent, and quick upgrade times. My goal is 121 PIC time as quick as possible and little reserve time. Also canít help but notice thereís a lot less drama or activity on the TSH forum than any other regional forums. Corporate guy looking to make the switch to 121 and I donít care about equipment or auto throttles. I do like the ďfamilyĒ culture and smaller pilot numbers. Someone help a brother out and give some insight. I want to hear about TSH and not why I should consider others. Thanks in advance!

C37AFE
03-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Guys are getting lines month after IOE and upgrading once they get 1000 hrs part 121. Domicile of choice pretty much except rdu

Celeste
03-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Like others said, upgrade is as soon as you have the time. Quick reserve, especially if you get out of training in the summer it will likely be short. Reserves are flying 60-70 hours, they aren't sitting around much... if you want to build time, you can ask for flying, and they'll almost always have something for you lol. Denver is most junior, and people are getting STL or ORD shortly after ioe.

Worst thing is the junior manning, where they can make you work on your day off... depending on the corporate outfit you're leaving that may not be that much different than what you're used to/may be better. As much as I hate the junior assignments, I think it is still better than commuting as losing time off on each end with that. I did the corporate thing for a while, and the grass is greener at the airlines, imo.

There's lots of flying to be had, and you'll check boxes quickly if you're looking for time to move on to a major.

Paid2fly
03-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Talked to a recruiter today, and looking for some pilots to share the good/bad with TSH? Reserve times seems to be small to non existent, and quick upgrade times. My goal is 121 PIC time as quick as possible and little reserve time. Also canít help but notice thereís a lot less drama or activity on the TSH forum than any other regional forums. Corporate guy looking to make the switch to 121 and I donít care about equipment or auto throttles. I do like the ďfamilyĒ culture and smaller pilot numbers. Someone help a brother out and give some insight. I want to hear about TSH and not why I should consider others. Thanks in advance!

"Family" culture working for HK?

:eek:

:confused:

:rolleyes:

FlyingKat
03-09-2019, 04:08 AM

That's because no one really gives a crap around here anymore. Everyone and I mean everyone (including the DO) is trying to get the hell out of here, including the lifers.

100LL
03-10-2019, 02:35 PM
That's because no one really gives a crap around here anymore. Everyone and I mean everyone (including the DO) is trying to get the hell out of here, including the lifers.

Well they must not be trying hard enough. Any current regional pilot can have a new job tomorrow. Thereís freight, charter, fractionals etc as they are all looking for pilots.

FlyingKat
03-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Well they must not be trying hard enough. Any current regional pilot can have a new job tomorrow. There’s freight, charter, fractionals etc as they are all looking for pilots.

If you knew anything about our attrition lately you would know people have been leaving for all of the above.

stang
03-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Guys are getting lines month after IOE and upgrading once they get 1000 hrs part 121. Domicile of choice pretty much except rdu

This is why I am considering and have an interview. Can hold base right away limiting my commute vs other options.

Skyhawk121
04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Feel free to ignore this post if you aren't interested, but I know when you are looking for a way out of an airline, it's hard to take a pay cut and go back to first year pay any where. Anyway, SkyWest still has their "Industry Experience" policy that allows you to keep your years at another 121 towards your pay level here. I came to SkyWest from another regional that I was at for about 2.5 years. I came here and got an increase about 6 months after starting because they count all of the days over a year, not just whole years. So basically started at the year 3 rate and went to year 4 six months after I started. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it.

Cubdriver84
05-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Feel free to ignore this post if you aren't interested, but I know when you are looking for a way out of an airline, it's hard to take a pay cut and go back to first year pay any where. Anyway, SkyWest still has their "Industry Experience" policy that allows you to keep your years at another 121 towards your pay level here. I came to SkyWest from another regional that I was at for about 2.5 years. I came here and got an increase about 6 months after starting because they count all of the days over a year, not just whole years. So basically started at the year 3 rate and went to year 4 six months after I started. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it.

TSA will match my pay to my years at a different regional? Wonder why the recruiter didnít mention that

FlyingKat
05-07-2019, 05:55 PM
TSA will match my pay to my years at a different regional? Wonder why the recruiter didnít mention that

He was talking about Skywest

C37AFE
05-07-2019, 05:58 PM
He was talking about Skywest

TSAs new recruitment is match pay plus a year. That will get them in the door

ESQ702
05-07-2019, 07:56 PM

I donít doubt what youíre saying at all. The question for me (and the OP) seems to be whether it is worth coming over when you wonít be on reserve hardly at all and can get TPIC fast (relative to other regionals). I know all regionals suck, and some more than others, but I donít see why you wouldnít lean towards something like TSA over something like Republic or Skywest (who are superior options overall at the moment in my opinion).

I guess the risk is you stick around longer than hoped because of mergers, bad economy, terror, etc when you thought youíd upgrade and move on to a legacy or LCC fast. Iím not yet at 1500 TT but Iíll probably take that risk when the time comes. I canít blame others for choosing otherwise though. To each his own.

Also, if your long term plan is to stay at a regional I guess something like TSA probably makes less sense too.

ninerdriver
05-08-2019, 12:48 AM
I donít doubt what youíre saying at all. The question for me (and the OP) seems to be whether it is worth coming over when you wonít be on reserve hardly at all and can get TPIC fast (relative to other regionals). I know all regionals suck, and some more than others, but I donít see why you wouldnít lean towards something like TSA over something like Republic or Skywest (who are superior options overall at the moment in my opinion).

I guess the risk is you stick around longer than hoped because of mergers, bad economy, terror, etc when you thought youíd upgrade and move on to a legacy or LCC fast. Iím not yet at 1500 TT but Iíll probably take that risk when the time comes. I canít blame others for choosing otherwise though. To each his own.

Also, if your long term plan is to stay at a regional I guess something like TSA probably makes less sense too.

Your seniority will also suck if there's no one coming in behind you to take crappier schedules. Even if folks leave above you, you're always the first JM they'll look at if there's no one behind you.

FlyingKat
05-08-2019, 08:35 PM
TSAs new recruitment is match pay plus a year. That will get them in the door

Interesting. I would read the fine print. I believe the match at other TSA Holdings carriers goes away at upgrade.

Not surprising though we are having a hard time filling upgrade classes.