Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

AskTransStates
03-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Hello, I am a here to answer any questions about becoming a FO at TSA. Right now you can earn about 80k your first year as a FO, and upgrade in 2 years! All of the bases are commutable, are you interested?

Lifesabeech92
03-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Are there any bonuses for year 2? How long is reserve?

Roadsoda
03-10-2019, 10:36 AM
How soon should someone apply for a position? Is it better to wait until you meet the 1500hrs or apply a few months prior?
Thanks

6Badger9
03-10-2019, 11:56 AM
How many DMI stickers can fit on a log can?

C37AFE
03-10-2019, 12:55 PM
How many DMI stickers can fit on a log can?

Today was 12

AskTransStates
03-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Are there any bonuses for year 2? How long is reserve?

Yes, the bonus is divided up in 3 years. Here is the breakdown:
$15,000: Received upon completion of IOEUPON COMPLETION OF IOE
$10,000(Type Rating Bonus): Received upon competition of IOE
$15,000: Received upon completion of year one
$10,000: Received upon completion of year two
$10,000: Received upon completion of year three

Reserve is not long, typically around 2 months.

AskTransStates
03-10-2019, 05:20 PM
How soon should someone apply for a position? Is it better to wait until you meet the 1500hrs or apply a few months prior?
Thanks

You can apply whenever class dates are offered every two weeks and set for the year. However, my recommendation would be to apply within 3 months of meeting your time, because there are so many factors in getting your time.

Svt24
03-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Not a company question but can you remind me what the ALPA dues are?

brokepilot2
03-10-2019, 10:04 PM
When will management negotiate a new contract instead of offering absurd bonuses to new hires?

MySaabStory
03-10-2019, 10:13 PM
When will management negotiate a new contract instead of offering absurd bonuses to new hires?

When management starts being run by idiots.

Paid2fly
03-10-2019, 10:28 PM
When management starts being run by idiots.

So TSA got a new contract?

Flyboy68
03-11-2019, 08:56 AM
So TSA got a new contract?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornjSwVGnkDYsVn1K/giphy.gif

BobSacamano
03-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Hi,

Can you please explain how the Frontier flow program works? I understand the two-year requirement for service at TSA, but I had some specific questions:

-When are folks eligible to apply for the program?
-How does the selection process work?

Thanks!

brokepilot2
03-11-2019, 04:02 PM
How often will I get junior assigned?

AskTransStates
03-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Not a company question but can you remind me what the ALPA dues are?

For most airlines, its paid out of every paycheck, but you need to check if you don't know.

AskTransStates
03-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Its an interesting time in aviation, all regionals are offering bonuses.

AskTransStates
03-11-2019, 07:02 PM
Hi,

Can you please explain how the Frontier flow program works? I understand the two-year requirement for service at TSA, but I had some specific questions:

-When are folks eligible to apply for the program?
-How does the selection process work?

Thanks!

All First Officers are eligible after 2 years of active service, which starts after IOE.

For those that upgrade to CA, pilots are eligible after 1 complete year of active service after upgrading.

The best news, you don't have to do anything to apply! No interview is required.

brokepilot2
03-11-2019, 08:26 PM
Its an interesting time in aviation, all regionals are offering bonuses.

So does that mean never? The company will continue to seek concessions from the pilots already on property while writing massive checks to new hires?

Gordon Axel
03-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Is TSA training AQP?

FlyingKat
03-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Is TSA training AQP?

Not yet but it is "in the works"

Excargodog
03-12-2019, 08:24 PM
So does that mean never? The company will continue to seek concessions from the pilots already on property while writing massive checks to new hires?

Pretty much. You they’ve already got. Until you get competitive numbers and put out apps, your are either stuck where you are or have to give up seniority to do a lateral move.

Best you can do is get your TPIC and move on. Second best, take the flow to F9.

You must be flow eligible by now, no?

FlyingKat
03-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Pretty much. You they’ve already got. Until you get competitive numbers and put out apps, your are either stuck where you are or have to give up seniority to do a lateral move.

With AA regionals and C5 throwing around $45,000 bonuses for street captains many are looking at and taking the lateral move.

Unfortunately the F9 flow is out of the question for now unless you are in the top 15% of the seniority list. Senior guys are bailing out of STL like crazy. Both of the flows for this month are 1999 hires. Its probably going to stay that way for a while as there are 11 very senior guys on the flow list and more are looking at it. As long as the flow is two per month its going to be a long time before the flow gets to anybody hired after 2007. Company won't flow more than two a month until we get 50 more active pilots on the list, which could take forever given our attrition.

sentapua
03-13-2019, 08:17 AM
How many days on/off at a time can a FO expect? Are the trips usually commutable?

brokepilot2
03-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Pretty much. You theyíve already got. Until you get competitive numbers and put out apps, your are either stuck where you are or have to give up seniority to do a lateral move.

Iíve already moved on. I just enjoy trolling TSA when the opportunity arises 😂

AskTransStates
03-14-2019, 06:52 PM
How many days on/off at a time can a FO expect? Are the trips usually commutable?

The monthly guarantee is 75 hours, you get 11 days of guaranteed for reserve and 12 for line holders. Your schedule all depends on if you have a line or you're on reserve.

Most trips will start out of where you are based. It depends on where you are based and where you live. However, there is a Commuter policy making commuting easier.

AskTransStates
03-27-2019, 06:59 PM
Did anyone make it out to Woman Aviation to talk to TSA recruiters? TSA offers a 60k bonus, and classes are offered every 2 weeks.

Svt24
04-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Is the Type Rating portion of the bonus paid if you already have a E145 (SIC only) type rating?

ESQ702
04-06-2019, 03:50 PM
TSAís profile (here: https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/trans_states_airlines) says the following:

ďTrans States will fund up to $40,000 for fixed wing pilots who need to build their hours for the ATP minimums.Ē

Can you explain this further? I read this as youíll pay for me to fly while Iím obtaining one or more of my PP, IFR, CP (or other?) ratings. True? Whatís the catch/contract terms in exchange for taking TSAís money?

Also, is it still 2 years to upgrade from FO to CA? Iíd be interested in the DEN base once I hit 1,500 TT.

C37AFE
04-06-2019, 05:40 PM
TSAís profile (here: https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/trans_states_airlines) says the following:

ďTrans States will fund up to $40,000 for fixed wing pilots who need to build their hours for the ATP minimums.Ē

Can you explain this further? I read this as youíll pay for me to fly while Iím obtaining one or more of my PP, IFR, CP (or other?) ratings. True? Whatís the catch/contract terms in exchange for taking TSAís money?

Also, is it still 2 years to upgrade from FO to CA? Iíd be interested in the DEN base once I hit 1,500 TT.

Pretty sure that money is for the final time building hours to make you atp eligible not pay for pilot certs. You most definitely can get den. Itís growing. I would bet you can upgrade before 2 years.

stang
04-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Hello, I am a here to answer any questions about becoming a FO at TSA. Right now you can earn about 80k your first year as a FO, and upgrade in 2 years! All of the bases are commutable, are you interested?

How does the F9 flow from the other TSH (Compass and GoJet) impact the TSA flow? I understand it's possible in 2 years but what is reality?

ESQ702
04-06-2019, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure that money is for the final time building hours to make you atp eligible not pay for pilot certs. You most definitely can get den. Itís growing. I would bet you can upgrade before 2 years.

Gotcha. Iíll be interested to hear more about how that program works.

ninerdriver
04-08-2019, 03:43 AM
How does the F9 flow from the other TSH (Compass and GoJet) impact the TSA flow? I understand it's possible in 2 years but what is reality?

It's an insurance policy to keep pilots across the TSH airlines from bailing for F9. We're talking 6 pilots per month from all TSH airlines combined. So... not much.

Positiveg
04-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Gotcha. Iíll be interested to hear more about how that program works.

You go to St. Louis for a day for fingerprints, drug test, etc, so they can give you a seniority number then go back home to build your time. You can use up to $40k towards time building. Whatever you donít use theyíll give per the normal bonus structure. You pick a local school and have them send a quote to Trans States and theyíll pay the school directly $6k at a time tillí youíve reached your goal.

Excargodog
04-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Entirely dependent on how many people senior to you opt in, opt out, or are hired at someplace other than F9 before they are themselves eligible to flow.

It is more of a method of assuring that senior people will never be stuck in a regional than it is of inducing new people to come to one for a quick jump to the majors.

With a pilot group of 600 and a max of 4 people flowing a month if no one went anywhere EXCEPT to flow it could take a newbie 13 years to flow. On the other hand, the Compass pilots (roughly 700) were moving on at the rate of about 20 a month and their F9 flow doesnít even start until June, so an ADDITIONAL 24-48 of the most senior pilots leaving would move seniority there up appreciably. And while still building, the big retirement wave at the legacies wonít peak for another three or four years.

Best advice is to get in the game where you can live in base, get the shortest reserve time possible, and try to get hired where you want off the street by building 121 SIC and PIC time quickly. If F9 is REALLY where you want to go, then TSH owned airlines may not be for you, because you might actually be hired faster outside of the flow.

ESQ702
04-08-2019, 11:38 AM
You go to St. Louis for a day for fingerprints, drug test, etc, so they can give you a seniority number then go back home to build your time. You can use up to $40k towards time building. Whatever you donít use theyíll give per the normal bonus structure. You pick a local school and have them send a quote to Trans States and theyíll pay the school directly $6k at a time tillí youíve reached your goal.

Seems like it would be better to wait for a bonus in case TSA isn't my choice of 121 operator once I hit 1,500 TT. I don't want to owe them money if I go elsewhere and I'd bet my right leg they won't allow me to walk elsewhere without repayment if it comes to that.

Excargodog
04-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Seems like it would be better to wait for a bonus in case TSA isn't my choice of 121 operator once I hit 1,500 TT. I don't want to owe them money if I go elsewhere and I'd bet my right leg they won't allow me to walk elsewhere without repayment if it comes to that.

Always better to be a free agent, if you have that option.

Positiveg
04-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Yep, you sign a 2 year contract.

stang
04-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Best advice is to get in the game where you can live in base, get the shortest reserve time possible, and try to get hired where you want off the street by building 121 SIC and PIC time quickly.

Definitely and why TSA is top of the list, short reserve - easiest option for my base (I live in CO but not in DEN) and can get DEN immediately where OO could be a bit of a wait.

I was just doing the math with the flow and while not everyone will take flow seems like it will get backed up still.

PreciousCargo
05-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Rotor transition guy here that signed a contract with TSA. Got a few questions

If I request either STL or RDU what are my chances of getting on of thoes as my desired base? I dont care for denver but if I get that how long before I can pick else where?

How many flight hours can I expect to get on reserves and after reserves?

PreciousCargo
05-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Not that I plan to fail but how many people per class are not passing ground school. The ones that are having trouble what are their weaknesses and struggles with the program?

bryris
05-14-2019, 06:50 AM
I'm probably too old to be relevant at this point, but I was in the June 4th, 2007 class at Trans States. I am sure training has changed, but I've heard its easier now than it used to be. We had to study a 4 inch thick systems manual and memorize 27 memory items, etc.

I think we lost about 4-5 in our class out of the original 30+. So, you're looking at probably a 85-90% pass rate I think. Perhaps better now.

That was the theory stuff. The sim dumped a few more. But, MOST made it through, myself included.

FlyingKat
05-14-2019, 08:18 AM
Not that I plan to fail but how many people per class are not passing ground school. The ones that are having trouble what are their weaknesses and struggles with the program?

If you study, show up prepared, and do what the instructors ask you will be fine. If you don't study, show up unprepared, and ignore what they tell you to do you will fail. It is that simple. Very rarely do people fail out that are willing to work hard.

PreciousCargo
05-14-2019, 08:50 AM
If you study, show up prepared, and do what the instructors ask you will be fine. If you don't study, show up unprepared, and ignore what they tell you to do you will fail. It is that simple. Very rarely do people fail out that are willing to work hard.

That sounds like a decent trade off. At word on the bases these days. I heard STL was losing a lot of pilots to Frontier but that may be the captains. Idk how that would impact first officers.

Excargodog
05-15-2019, 10:21 AM

Lack of motivation.

121 training is not technically difficult but it is like drinking from a firehouse for at least your first type rating. A lot of memorization and drudgery. Find a good well motivated sim partner and plan on studying 10% more than him/her. Know callouts, memory items, and limitations cold and thatís mainly just rote memorization.

C37AFE
05-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Donít ask Captain Morgan to help you out. Stuff he tells you is hard to remember next day.

Excargodog
05-15-2019, 10:32 AM
Donít ask Captain Morgan to help you out. Stuff he tells you is hard to remember next day.

And that. ^^^^

Definitely.