Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Alaska 135 Training Contracts

PacerMan
03-22-2019, 07:08 PM
Looking a FO positions at Hageland, Ryan, Bering, and ACE. Anyone know which of these operators have training contracts? If so, what do they entail?

Primarily interested in Hageland for a 208 SIC position but heard they have a training contract requiring pilots to spend 1 year in the 207. If this is true, how long does it take to go right seat of the 208 to the 207?

Thanks

cursesRedBaron
03-22-2019, 08:52 PM
I can't tell you specifically which has contracts still, but I doubt any of them do.
There may not be quite the shortage of qualified pilots here in AK that there are elsewhere, but it is definitely felt.

I would contact them directly, if you are interested. Apply.

About how quickly you can go from RS of the 208 to LS of the 207; It would depend greatly on your flight time and how hard you are willing to work.
Alaskan based co. are usually very interested in how hard you are willing to work...not just on how good your flying skills are. They like guys that are willing to throw bags and help on the ramp when they aren't flying. And be willing to learn....even from a crusty old fart who doesn't have any jet type ratings.

That "don't like to get your hands dirty" works for 121 ops., not for 135 - at least not in AK.

cRB

DenainaPilot
03-23-2019, 10:38 PM
A training contract to be a Caravan SIC is complete BS, DONíT DO IT! You can get a Sled job at 500 hours these days.

03-23-2019, 11:59 PM
RavnConnect/Hageland has a training contract for new hires to spend 1 year as a PIC. You will also have to sign one for your ATP or a type rating for the 1900.

captjns
03-24-2019, 03:52 AM
A training contract to be a Caravan SIC is complete BS, DONíT DO IT! You can get a Sled job at 500 hours these days.

SIC on a Caravan.... just as valuable as SIC on a C-152. Too funny.

A Squared
03-24-2019, 06:20 AM
SIC on a Caravan.... just as valuable as SIC on a C-152. Too funny.

But it's Turbine Time.

MacrossJet
03-24-2019, 05:03 PM

With what companies though?

Excargodog
03-24-2019, 05:47 PM
But it's Turbine Time.

Yes. SINGLE ENGINE TURBINE TIME, and second in command on an aircraft that doesn't actually REQUIRE a second in command. Where's the value there? And flying a well known ice magnet in Alaska. How many ways could that go wrong?

https://aviationweek.com/awin/faa-releases-new-icing-restrictions-cessna-caravan-fleet

Aviation Safety - Saving The Cessna Caravan (http://www.aviationsafetymagazine.com/airplane/Cessna-Caravan-Safety-in-Icing-Conditions.html)

A Squared
03-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Yes. SINGLE ENGINE TURBINE TIME, and second in command on an aircraft that doesn't actually REQUIRE a second in command. Where's the value there? And flying a well known ice magnet in Alaska. How many ways could that go wrong?

https://aviationweek.com/awin/faa-releases-new-icing-restrictions-cessna-caravan-fleet

Aviation Safety - Saving The Cessna Caravan (http://www.aviationsafetymagazine.com/airplane/Cessna-Caravan-Safety-in-Icing-Conditions.html)

I guess the humor went sailing over your head.

Excargodog
03-24-2019, 10:02 PM
I guess the humor went sailing over your head.

Nope. Agreeing with you. And waiting for someone to point out to me that the FAA had ďsolvedĒ the ice problem by saying you could still fly into icing at a 500# reduced gross weight whereupon I was going to say thatís not much of a help when you unexpectedly ENCOUNTER icing after you are already loaded, though I suppose jettisoning the totally unneeded SIC might get you one-third of the way there....:D

A Squared
03-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Nope. Agreeing with you. And waiting for someone to point out to me that the FAA had ďsolvedĒ the ice problem by saying you could still fly into icing at a 500# reduced gross weight whereupon I was going to say thatís not much of a help when you unexpectedly ENCOUNTER icing after you are already loaded, though I suppose jettisoning the totally unneeded SIC might get you one-third of the way there....:D

You need to automate that so that you can jettison him with an easily accessible cockpit control. I think trying to physically wrestle him out the door is going to complicate your situation instead of making it better.

Excargodog
03-25-2019, 06:54 AM
You need to automate that so that you can jettison him with an easily accessible cockpit control. I think trying to physically wrestle him out the door is going to complicate your situation instead of making it better.

I dunno. Anyone foolish enough to actually take the job might be gullible enough to go out the door on command.

:rolleyes:

AKBushRat
03-25-2019, 05:48 PM
I have a few things to say to any low time guys thinking of going to Hageland and signing a training contract to fly a 208 out of Bethel, AK.

Hageland requires that you pay your own way to basic indoc. They donít tell you that so be prepared. It cost me $800. If you can, go the extra mile and go a few days early and head to Bethel. See it for yourself. Most new hires, unless female, will go to Bethel. I wonít go into detail but you should see it for yourself before you take anyoneís word for it. Itís a place that will prove to anyone that there is absolutely no god. Also, you will catch a cold unlike anything youíve ever had and it will almost kill you.

If you like what you see, congrats! You are the man/woman they need and you will do well. You will learn flying skills that most pilots never ever will.

If what you see makes you uneasy, go back home and get your CFI, you will be happier in the long run. This is not the Alaska you see on TV, unless itís Alaska State Troopers.

It took me a year to make the 207. It might be quicker these days but you should value your time in the 208, donít be in a hurry to upgrade, there is a lot to learn besides flying. The dispatchers dont give a rats ass about you. You will get assigned flights that are barely legal, if at all, and you will go. If you donít accept these death missions, good luck, you will be assigned the flights no one wants for the rest of your time there. That being said, plan on two years minimum.

If you go, be very careful. Itís easy for one to ruin their career before it even really starts. Guys have wrecked airplanes in strong crosswinds, wind shear, mechanical turbulence, taxiing, hitting other airplanes, etc. Most times these accidents were out of the pilots control but they still counted as accidents, violations and LOIs.

Best of luck!

tonsterboy5
03-25-2019, 10:00 PM
I have a few things to say to any low time guys thinking of going to Hageland and signing a training contract to fly a 208 out of Bethel, AK.

Hageland requires that you pay your own way to basic indoc. They donít tell you that so be prepared. It cost me $800. If you can, go the extra mile and go a few days early and head to Bethel. See it for yourself. Most new hires, unless female, will go to Bethel. I wonít go into detail but you should see it for yourself before you take anyoneís word for it. Itís a place that will prove to anyone that there is absolutely no god. Also, you will catch a cold unlike anything youíve ever had and it will almost kill you.

If you like what you see, congrats! You are the man/woman they need and you will do well. You will learn flying skills that most pilots never ever will.

If what you see makes you uneasy, go back home and get your CFI, you will be happier in the long run. This is not the Alaska you see on TV, unless itís Alaska State Troopers.

It took me a year to make the 207. It might be quicker these days but you should value your time in the 208, donít be in a hurry to upgrade, there is a lot to learn besides flying. The dispatchers dont give a rats ass about you. You will get assigned flights that are barely legal, if at all, and you will go. If you donít accept these death missions, good luck, you will be assigned the flights no one wants for the rest of your time there. That being said, plan on two years minimum.

If you go, be very careful. Itís easy for one to ruin their career before it even really starts. Guys have wrecked airplanes in strong crosswinds, wind shear, mechanical turbulence, taxiing, hitting other airplanes, etc. Most times these accidents were out of the pilots control but they still counted as accidents, violations and LOIs.

Best of luck!
Bethel isnít that bad :) anyone thatís been in the military has deployed to crappier locations. Bethel has running water (just canít drink), taxis, semi-paved roads a gym, a few stores. Itís not that bad

A Squared
03-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Bethel isnít that bad :) anyone thatís been in the military has deployed to crappier locations.

Sure, and anyone who has been incarcerated in an African prison has been in crappier places than Bethel. You can always find someplace that's worse.

In a previous career, I spent a lot of time in rural Alaska, often in less desirable places than Bethel, so, it ain't like Bethel shocks me, but for a lot of folks who haven't been outside of the lower 48, Bethel will be a real eye opener; something that they really can't grasp until they see it themselves. It ain't so bad if you suck it up and make the best of it, but some non-zero portion of them won't be able to hack it, and will run away. That's reality.

JohnBurke
03-26-2019, 03:26 AM
Everything someone needs to know can be found reviewing old episodes of Northern Exposure.

They're not allowed to put it on TV if it's not true.

A Squared
03-26-2019, 07:40 AM
Everything someone needs to know can be found reviewing old episodes of Northern Exposure.

They're not allowed to put it on TV if it's not true.

It's true, Bethel is all quaint brick storefronts and moose walking along the sidewalks.

juglord420
03-26-2019, 08:37 AM

Best of luck!

When were you at Hageland? None of this sounds like the way they operate these days.

AKBushRat
03-26-2019, 09:36 AM
When were you at Hageland? None of this sounds like the way they operate these days.

None?

I was there two years ago. Donít get me wrong, I had a pretty good time bombing around up there but I also saw a lot of things I didnít like.

Iím just trying to help the guys who may or may not want to get locked into a 2 year contract.

Are you a pothead focker? Whatís up with the 420?

MacrossJet
03-27-2019, 03:42 AM
Anyone got any info on Air Choice One? Good/bad? I hear they require a training contract though.