Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Shammy
04-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Hi,

New to this forum. Does anyone have US credentialed CPL/ATP licenses and US FAA Class 1 medical, however based and living/working in Europe?

How does that work in terms of where you live and actually pick your plane up from?

What type of work, and what airline or cargo is this possible with?

I was wondering if I got my US credentials in terms of training, and medical, would it be possible for me to work in Europe using those for probably N-Reg Airplanes? (I am able to work in the EU so no problem there, but without repeating or doing training in the EU and getting an EASA medical is the above possible)

Any help would be appreciated

zondaracer
04-04-2019, 03:42 PM
FedEx. But it’s highly competitive.

Shammy
04-04-2019, 03:46 PM

Thanks.
Where do they base pilots? One specific hub or multiple locations in the EU?

zondaracer
04-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Thanks.
Where do they base pilots? One specific hub or multiple locations in the EU?

Köln, CGN.

flightforfood
04-04-2019, 06:00 PM
To work with usa airline minimum have to be a us resident permit holder (green card) and any one that have business with dod or us postal service then is USA citizen. You can work for delta, american or united and commute to europe.

TiredSoul
04-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Yes and no.

You could fly for a private owner but under European (EASA) law you would have to have both (!) sets of licenses ( both FAA and EASA) to fly a N-reg in Europa-land being a EU-citizen.

You could fly for an US based (=owned) airline in and out of Europe and either be Europe based or live in Europe and commute.
Since you’re employed by a US Company you’ll need to be eligible for work in the US which means passport or green card.

Exceptions are like Missionary Aviation Fellowship and such but that’s pretty much volunteer work with zero pay.
And you’ll be based in Africa or places like Borneo.

You could fly tourists in Namibia and Botswana with a FAA CPL but you wouldn’t live in Europe either ;)

NEDude
04-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Hi,

New to this forum. Does anyone have US credentialed CPL/ATP licenses and US FAA Class 1 medical, however based and living/working in Europe?

How does that work in terms of where you live and actually pick your plane up from?

What type of work, and what airline or cargo is this possible with?

I was wondering if I got my US credentials in terms of training, and medical, would it be possible for me to work in Europe using those for probably N-Reg Airplanes? (I am able to work in the EU so no problem there, but without repeating or doing training in the EU and getting an EASA medical is the above possible)

Any help would be appreciated

There may be an occasional opportunity come up every once and a while for some contract work, but it is doubtful you will find much long term work with only an FAA license, and all of those would be very hard to get. As mentioned above, your best bet is FedEx out of CGN. A friend of mine did fly the Avro on a contract for CityJet out of Dublin about a decade ago, but that was only a temporary contract. The only real way to ensure long term employment opportunities in Europe is to get an EASA license. It takes work, but it is doable.

TiredSoul
04-05-2019, 06:30 AM
And Fedex is a 0.000000001% chance as you’ll have 100.000 very highly qualified applicants ahead of you.
Thousands of hours of military time, ‘heavy’ long haul time and PIC time.

Varsity
04-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Yes and no.

You could fly for a private owner but under European (EASA) law you would have to have both (!) sets of licenses ( both FAA and EASA) to fly a N-reg in Europa-land being a EU-citizen.

You could fly for an US based (=owned) airline in and out of Europe and either be Europe based or live in Europe and commute.
Since you’re employed by a US Company you’ll need to be eligible for work in the US which means passport or green card.

Exceptions are like Missionary Aviation Fellowship and such but that’s pretty much volunteer work with zero pay.
And you’ll be based in Africa or places like Borneo.

You could fly tourists in Namibia and Botswana with a FAA CPL but you wouldn’t live in Europe either ;)

Swift has US pilots flying N registered airplanes in Europe.

TiredSoul
04-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Swift has US pilots flying N registered airplanes in Europe.

And?
You still need to be employed by Swift which requires US Citizenship.

deus ex machina
04-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Why is there a Fedex 737 flying in Europe?

Varsity
04-11-2019, 08:38 PM
And?

Providing an option to the OP that has not been mentioned.

Miso
04-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Why is there a Fedex 737 flying in Europe?

TNT Express

hubbs
04-12-2019, 09:40 AM
And?

Green cards not accepted?

sraf107
04-18-2019, 10:40 AM
do you have a link for the Swift Airline to which you are referring?

Asiabound
04-20-2019, 06:47 PM
WGN does a fair amount of through Europe, usually LGG. We used to have international basing, but not anymore.

But... If you live in Europe you will sometimes pick up trips there, so it could work. No guarantees. With some seniority you can bid back to backs to reduce the amount of commutes.

No guarantees though, you will find yourself buying tickets back to the States from time to time to domestic trips. This is also based on the contracts we have also, which could be completely different this time next year. A few guys seem to swing it.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1