Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire Question

Madella0124
04-10-2019, 04:13 AM
Hello All,

Iím currently in the CJO/background check process and assuming all will end with a firm offer. Coming from a corporate flight department, I use the aircraftís headset. Are most guys on the line bringing their own or using the set on board? I would like to buy anything I will need before transitioning to first year pay. I would appreciate anything else recent new hires can recommend picking up before arriving for class.

howardhughes8
04-10-2019, 04:19 AM
Hello All,

Iím currently in the CJO/background check process and assuming all will end with a firm offer. Coming from a corporate flight department, I use the aircraftís headset. Are most guys on the line bringing their own or using the set on board? I would like to buy anything I will need before transitioning to first year pay. I would appreciate anything else recent new hires can recommend picking up before arriving for class.

Some guys use the onboard headset (Telex 750), most use their own. Mix of Bose/UFlyMike, Telex 850, David Clark DC Pro X, and others. Airplanes in general are loud, Telex 750 will not give you any protection.

robxjt27
04-10-2019, 08:02 AM
Telex Airman 8 is great for domestic. I think the DC ProX or Bose will work better for international. Cruise altitudes usually is just speaker and hand mic.

Celeste3205
04-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Telex Airman 8 is great for domestic. I think the DC ProX or Bose will work better for international. Cruise altitudes usually is just speaker and hand mic.

That would be fleet dependent. I rarely see the speaker used enroute on the 757, I routinely use the intercom because it's so noisy. I definitely recommend a decent ANR headset for anyone on this fleet. The MD and A300 may be quiet enough to get away with the speaker enroute.

Archie Bunker
04-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Are most guys on the line bringing their own or using the set on board?.

On the Whale, most guys bring their own headset because it is so frigging loud in the cockpit. The Telex headset provided in the aircraft just doesn't cut it (for me), and if I had to use it, I would probably miss 75% of the radio calls.

You'll see all kinds of headsets out here...Bose A20s, Bose with You Fly Mike kits, Sennheiser, David Clark, Sony, you name it. Just make sure you have a headset with some kind of active noise canceling system.

Anytime I don't have my headset on, I have earplugs in to protect what little hearing I have left after 35+ years in aviation.

BoilerUP
04-10-2019, 07:01 PM
DC Pro-X works great, very happy with mine...but for similar or less money you can get a QC35/Sony 1000XM and a mic setup.

Not sure about TSOs, tho...

G550Guy
04-10-2019, 10:34 PM
If I see anything on my line flying Westbound from Hawaii or Alaska .... or Eastbound from Warsaw, I pack the Bose A20s.

Domestic or Atlantic crossings I just use the ships Telex. And yes we use the speaker a lot on the MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Bob
04-11-2019, 04:36 AM
I have the DC Pro X and Iím in the whale. It is on the ear, which I would definitely not recommend for that fleet as it grinds on you. Go with the Bose A20 or the new lightweight Bose that just came out. Thatís what Iím getting next time

howardhughes8
04-11-2019, 06:06 AM
I have the DC Pro X and Iím in the whale. It is on the ear, which I would definitely not recommend for that fleet as it grinds on you. Go with the Bose A20 or the new lightweight Bose that just came out. Thatís what Iím getting next time

I havenít done the 8+ hour legs like on the whale, but the cups are very soft on the ear, no issues with 6 hour legs.

The advantage of Sony/Bose with external mic is no need to carry two separate headsets if you use a lot for airlining or jumpseating. The disadvantage might come IF the FAA starts enforcing TSO standards.

Captjim
04-12-2019, 07:18 AM
I'm on the MD and just use the ships headset, however I may start using my UFlyMic set up, I can hear a lot better with it.

navigatro
04-12-2019, 09:01 AM
WHAT??????

Sevenfourcapt
05-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Slightly off topic ... does UPS get good deals on family cell phone service?

brownie
05-12-2019, 03:02 AM

25% off AT&T not sure about others

CL300
05-13-2019, 08:37 AM

22% off Verizon.

navigatro
05-13-2019, 11:48 AM

5% off Straight Talk