Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Blood Donations--Tax deductable?

dunlaf05
04-26-2007, 05:06 AM
I regularly donate blood and have never thought about claiming it as a charitable donation on my taxes.

Does this count? How much is it worth?

Thanks.

Sean Smith
04-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Hard to put a value on it I guess.

Why Can't My Blood Donation Be Tax Deductible?
The Red Cross receives only voluntary donations for blood. Voluntary donations encourage people to give out of altruistic motivations and to support a safe blood supply in the United States. The Red Cross does not provide monetary or other incentives, such as free blood tests, tax deductions or food credits to potential donors. This policy helps us to be sure that all blood donations to the American Red Cross are strictly and truly voluntary.

Thedude
04-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Maybe the mileage to and from but not blood

HSLD
04-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Interesting that "truly voluntary" donations of goods and some services to other altruistic organizations such as the Salvation Army and Goodwill are tax deductible but giving of yourself (literally) is not.

Don't stop donating though! Blood donations save lives!

Hard to put a value on it I guess.

Why Can't My Blood Donation Be Tax Deductible?
The Red Cross receives only voluntary donations for blood. Voluntary donations encourage people to give out of altruistic motivations and to support a safe blood supply in the United States. The Red Cross does not provide monetary or other incentives, such as free blood tests, tax deductions or food credits to potential donors. This policy helps us to be sure that all blood donations to the American Red Cross are strictly and truly voluntary.

vagabond
04-26-2007, 09:34 AM
I once had a client ask if he could deduct his donation to the sperm bank (he did not get paid for his efforts, just got a free magazine). Tongue in cheek, I said perhaps he could get an exemption after a baby is born.

lzakplt
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
That is the ultimate cheap pilot story!