Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Building time as CFI

dbdevkc
04-20-2019, 04:12 PM
What would you think of a CFI position that has a 12 month commitment and an estimate of about 750 flight hours in that year? That is in our area in the northeast.

My daughter needs about 650-750 hours, but has heard of the potential of up to 100 hours/month (if she works hard) at some places in the southeast.

Obviously, she wants to build the time as soon as possible, 7-8 months vs 12-13 months makes a difference.

flyupward
04-20-2019, 05:26 PM
What would you think of a CFI position that has a 12 month commitment and an estimate of about 750 flight hours in that year? That is in our area in the northeast.

My daughter needs about 650-750 hours, but has heard of the potential of up to 100 hours/month (if she works hard) at some places in the southeast.

Obviously, she wants to build the time as soon as possible, 7-8 months vs 12-13 months makes a difference.

Personally, I would recommend the NE position. The SE position is not a good company from my endeavors with them. I'm sure there's plenty of guys/gals with opposing views, though. A few years ago my instructor left to go 135 as soon as he had the hours. I feel most would do the same now if not tied to a contract. And when I flew with them, maintenance was an issue as well. They actually had a plane to go down in December. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=219736

She might consider survey work. The hours are plentiful and she'd be competitive if she only has 650-750 hours to go. My .02 worth.

dbdevkc
04-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Falcon wasn't the first choice in the SE - there are plenty of others if you aren't looking to get the CFI rating in exchange for an employment commitment.

kettlechips
04-20-2019, 10:12 PM
I live in the PNW, and my school has CFIs that hit 1000 hours per year, even with the gloomy weather

JohnBurke
04-21-2019, 01:09 AM

My first question would be about the maintenance at the operation. Is it good? That needs to be addressed first. Safety first.

If it's good, then what about the culture? Is it all about cramming students through the system and a focus on revenue, or is it an educational facility and not a certificate mill?

A year commitment with the hours and experience needed to be obtained, is a good thing, so long as it's safe and well run.

dbdevkc
04-21-2019, 05:14 AM
FlightSafety has been recommended elsewhere. Does anyone have experience there as an instructor?

tritofly
04-21-2019, 05:23 AM
FlightSafety has been recommended elsewhere. Does anyone have experience there as an instructor?

Go elsewhere.

JohnBurke
04-21-2019, 06:15 AM
FlightSafety has been recommended elsewhere.

What has flight safety got to do with anything?

dbdevkc
04-21-2019, 10:54 AM
"Go elsewhere." Reasons? You have some experience with them?

"What has flight safety got to do with anything?" Because someone (not on this board) recommended FlightSafety Academy (Vero Beach) as a place to work as an instructor.

tritofly
04-22-2019, 05:04 AM
"Go elsewhere." Reasons? You have some experience with them?

"What has flight safety got to do with anything?" Because someone (not on this board) recommended FlightSafety Academy (Vero Beach) as a place to work as an instructor.

I was an instructor there. There are other 141 schools that pay better and have a better training environment.

dbdevkc
04-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Can you suggest a few that we can look into?

And, does it matter really that much if the stay there will be 7-8 months or so. Obviously equipment maintenance is important, and as long as management doesn't treat employees like dirt.

Flaps8posrate
04-22-2019, 10:48 AM
Give US Aviation Academy in Denton, Texas a call. They have better than adequate maintenance and have a steady infux of new students. PM me if youd like a contact or more info.
Can you suggest a few that we can look into?

And, does it matter really that much if the stay there will be 7-8 months or so. Obviously equipment maintenance is important, and as long as management doesn't treat employees like dirt.

Jpilot05
05-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Give US Aviation Academy in Denton, Texas a call. They have better than adequate maintenance and have a steady infux of new students. PM me if youd like a contact or more info.
Would you give a recommendation to go teach there?

meitnerium
05-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Would you give a recommendation to go teach there?

What he just said was inherently a recommendation.

dbdevkc
05-30-2019, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have experience flight instructing for L3 in FL?

dbdevkc
08-23-2019, 07:57 AM
I figured I would update this thread. My daughter ended up at FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach, FL. It is part of FlightSafety International, which is part of Textron Aviation. (funny aside: My other daughter is an A&P for Textron.) They seem to be a good organization to work for and have good benefits. Aircraft maintenance seems very good. So far, so good - she's still enjoying it. Got through standardization with no problems. They give full pay during that time (about 3 weeks). They offer free housing for 6 months, so that is nice. Long days with a break in the middle to wait out T-storms this time of year. They started her out with mostly new commercial students, so she is doing a lot of XC and night XC flights. At this point doing 80-100 hours/month. Probably do a bit more if and when she gets more primary students. Yes, mostly Asian students sent over from one of the Asian airlines. But all have a collage degree. She discovered that one did not know the meaning of "abort takeoff" one evening, but did know "my controls". So now she makes sure to give an extra briefing on words like abort, or things other than a control or engine failure that might be a reason to abort a takeoff.

Kilroy
09-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Just reinstated my CFI. So I guess now I need to take TSA security training since I plan on instructing on the side when Im not flying in the 121 world. Any insights as to what website to do this on?

deftone
09-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Just reinstated my CFI. So I guess now I need to take TSA security training since I plan on instructing on the side when Im not flying in the 121 world. Any insights as to what website to do this on?

The TSA GA Secure training? Its on the AOPA/Air Safety Website.

tanker
09-14-2019, 03:41 AM
Its also offered for free on the Kings School website.

salhnl
11-10-2019, 08:56 PM
I figured I would update this thread. My daughter ended up at FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach, FL. It is part of FlightSafety International, which is part of Textron Aviation. (funny aside: My other daughter is an A&P for Textron.) They seem to be a good organization to work for and have good benefits. Aircraft maintenance seems very good. So far, so good - she's still enjoying it. Got through standardization with no problems. They give full pay during that time (about 3 weeks). They offer free housing for 6 months, so that is nice. Long days with a break in the middle to wait out T-storms this time of year. They started her out with mostly new commercial students, so she is doing a lot of XC and night XC flights. At this point doing 80-100 hours/month. Probably do a bit more if and when she gets more primary students. Yes, mostly Asian students sent over from one of the Asian airlines. But all have a collage degree. She discovered that one did not know the meaning of "abort takeoff" one evening, but did know "my controls". So now she makes sure to give an extra briefing on words like abort, or things other than a control or engine failure that might be a reason to abort a takeoff.
Thanks for the info. FSA is a place I am interested in instruction after I am done with my CFI initial. It sounds your daughter likes it there. Do you know what is the commitment if someone wants to get a CFII with them? They use to advertise a moving package and also reimbursement for plane ticket? However, I'm not sure if that is still an option...?

Bearhawk23
11-14-2019, 12:49 AM
I live in the PNW, and my school has CFIs that hit 1000 hours per year, even with the gloomy weather

Hey Kettlechips! I'm in the PNW as well mind sharing what school has CFI's flying that much?