Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : King air 90 qualification

cynicalaviator
04-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone,

Asking for a friend:

He has an opportunity to fly a king air 90 (less than 12.5k lbs)
The airplane owner has no current MEI and tells my friend that he can be trained to fly the airplane by himself deposited having no MEI.
True or not?
Thanks in advance.

rickair7777
04-24-2019, 10:13 AM
IIRC...

If no type rating for the plane then "technically" no official type-specific training is required for a prop plane.

As long as you are rated (ME) and have the required endorsements (complex, high perf, pressurization) you can in theory just jump in and go. Obviously that would be a bad idea, but someone experienced in the type could give you some familiarization training, even without an MEI. Instructor ratings just mean that instruction given can be applied to FAA regulatory requirements. Lack of an instructor rating does not mean someone is banned from teaching others (cannot be logged as dual).

If you need endorsements, you need a CFI for that.

Also insurance might have higher standards than the FAA on that, be certain that you're insured and meet whatever wickets the insurance specifies. Also just because the OWNER is insured does not mean that YOU are insured, it's likely quite the opposite (subrogation).

cynicalaviator
04-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much for the prompt reply.. I'll transmit the Info.

The Plainsman
04-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Asking for a friend:

He has an opportunity to fly a king air 90 (less than 12.5k lbs)
The airplane owner has no current MEI and tells my friend that he can be trained to fly the airplane by himself deposited having no MEI.
True or not?
Thanks in advance.

We run into this issue with our PC12's. Insurance is going to be the deciding factor.

JohnBurke
04-24-2019, 01:42 PM
We run into this issue with our PC12's. Insurance is going to be the deciding factor.

Insurance is the key. It usually is.

So long as the applicant holds airplane, multi-engine land category and class ratings, then a CFI is not needed to provide a checkout, legally. What the insurance wants to see is another matter.

kingsnake2
04-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Insurance is the key. It usually is.

So long as the applicant holds airplane, multi-engine land category and class ratings, then a CFI is not needed to provide a checkout, legally. What the insurance wants to see is another matter.

As they all said, he's going to have to ask the insurance company what they require.

deadstick35
04-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Just clarify a couple of things...is the owner not ME-rated/current, but flying and your friend in the right seat? Who’s the PIC? I’m trying to figure out why the MEI qualification was even mentioned.

“Named insured” and “waiver of subjugation” are key.

JohnBurke
04-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Just clarify a couple of things...is the owner not ME-rated/current, but flying and your friend in the right seat? Who’s the PIC? I’m trying to figure out why the MEI qualification was even mentioned.

The original poster said nothing about the owner not being multi-engine rated.

The original poster said that the owner is not a multi-engine instructor.

Excargodog
05-04-2019, 06:42 PM

Waiver of subrogation is important too, although unless you are really into that kinky stuff, waiver if subjugation is probably a pretty good idea as well....;)

TiredSoul
05-04-2019, 10:42 PM
Can and should are two different things.
I still need to find an insurance company that will approve without ‘formal’ training by at least an insurance company approved instructor if not an approved course of training at one of the training providers.
Why not just do it the right way to begin with?

JohnBurke
05-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Because the candy bar just doesn't taste as good unless it's stolen...

Apparently.