Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Passport ?

AFTrainerGuy
04-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Anyone dealt with getting a new passport expedited & renewed.....tips or a ďhow toĒ

What do you do while you are waiting for it (says like 2 weeks to get back)? Questions like that

I got a few months until it officially expires but starting process now so I donít forget/get behind the 8 ball on it.

A330FoodCritic
04-24-2019, 12:56 PM
I just did same day in LA, no issues. There is even a place next door to do the pics.

AFTrainerGuy
04-24-2019, 01:00 PM
I just did same day in LA, no issues. There is even a place next door to do the pics.

Iím a CLT guy but I guess with you saying that, I could just fly to DC or ATL and walk-in/walk-out same day. Thanks

A330FoodCritic
04-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Make appointment :-) Early

UPTme
04-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Couldn't you just send it in and get paid removal from trips while you wait?

"Asking for a friend"

A330FoodCritic
04-24-2019, 01:23 PM
Oh, I also had some letter from the flight office which helped also.

drinksonme
04-24-2019, 02:27 PM
If you go into a passport bureau office you MUST have the letter from the flight office for same day issuance. If you donít live in a city that has an office then you can go to one on your own time and dime or do it via mail with expedited service (2-3 weeks!).

I honestly donít know how the company allows us to not do same day service. Under APIS, which is what CASS, Customs and Boarder Patrol, ICE, and the State Department use, your passport is the only form of identification that is authorized. Thus, when you are traveling without one, even in the US only, you actually donít have proper identification. My regional did not allow us to travel without a passport. Itís a ***** cause the passport bureaus are so few and far between. For me being based in PHX (the 6th largest city in America and easily the largest in AZ) having the passport office in Tucson is PITA.

WDY800
04-25-2019, 03:54 AM
There are third party services that will process your passport and have it back to you within 48 hours. They are expensive. I used one a few years back, and had no complaints. Let me see if I can find the information.

mainlineAF
04-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Went through this a few months back. You are NOT allowed to fly a trip without your passport. If you send your passport in you better have a few weeks off while you wait to get it back.

Basically you have to do the in person, same day renewal. Giant pain.

DarinFred
04-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Where does it say you arenít allowed to fly any trips without your passport? I overnighted the application in, paid the expedited fee and expedited return shipping fee and had it back in 10 days. Let crew scheduling and the CPO know that I couldnít fly any international legs. No one had a problem with it and I was reimbursed for all expenses. This is common sense.

Iím not taking a day off of my time to fly somewhere in person to get a 1 day passport. If the company wants to A1 both ways and give me 5:15 for the asspain, Iíd consider it doing it in person.

mainlineAF
04-25-2019, 08:41 AM
Where does it say you arenít allowed to fly any trips without your passport? I overnighted the application in, paid the expedited fee and expedited return shipping fee and had it back in 10 days. Let crew scheduling and the CPO know that I couldnít fly any international legs. No one had a problem with it and I was reimbursed for all expenses. This is common sense.

Somewhere in FM1. Itís a required document. The CP was very clear with me on how dumb I was for even attempting to fly without one.

May be different in your base but that was my experience.

flyinawa
04-25-2019, 09:57 AM
Somewhere in FM1. Itís a required document. The CP was very clear with me on how dumb I was for even attempting to fly without one.

May be different in your base but that was my experience.

I live in PHX and our CPís office procedure seems to involve them thinking I will drive to Tucson on a day off for same day service. I will not. I did the mail-in, ďsuper expediteĒ service and was without a passport for about 10 days. I flew 2 trips during that time and just kept my fingers crossed that I wouldnít get a reroute with an international segment. Brought the receipts in and was reimbursed for all expenses. No complaints from anyone.

DarinFred
04-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Your CP is an idiot. Read the end of section 20.4.5 in the FOM (I guess thereís no FM anymore). The requirement to carry a passport on domestic sequences can be waived by many people. Renewing your Passport would be a prime example of when the requirement should be waived.

AFTrainerGuy
04-25-2019, 12:42 PM
Your CP is an idiot. Read the end of section 20.4.5 in the FOM (I guess thereís no FM anymore). The requirement to carry a passport on domestic sequences can be waived by many people. Renewing your Passport would be a prime example of when the requirement should be waived.

Thanks to all. Looks like my first stop will be CP office for a letter or guidance since expectations seem to change base by base. I agree though... not gonna spend my day off chasing this to another city on my own time or dime.

R57 relay
04-25-2019, 02:45 PM

Iím not taking a day off of my time to fly somewhere in person to get a 1 day passport. If the company wants to A1 both ways and give me 5:15 for the asspain, Iíd consider it doing it in person.

I did it in SEA. Was easy, but took most of the day as had to return to pick it up. Big line at door at opening time, but went quickly.

cactusmike
04-28-2019, 12:02 AM
I had this issue in February. I fly nothing but international so going without wasnít an option. I had 8 days off and although I live in PHX our closest Government passport office is in Tucson and I didnít want to waste a day driving down there.

I paid an extra $200 or so to have a passport expediting service do that for me. Had it a day and a half later. Well worth the extra money. My wifeís passport was also due. She didnít have the same issue of urgency that I did so we just sent it in via the ďnormalĒ expedited route via the government. She had it back within the week.

Battlinbear
04-29-2019, 03:01 AM
Headed to DC today to do the same day for the wife. Dropping her off and headed to Arlington. Wonít tell her I hope it does take all day 😂