Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

iFlyStick
04-30-2019, 11:43 AM
I'm interviewing next week and am new to the airline industry, what questions should I ask at the interview regarding pay, scheduling, QOL, reserve, etc.? I'm looking for the kind of questions and answers you wished you new before you started at the airlines.

Thanks in advance.

dera
04-30-2019, 11:46 AM
I'm interviewing next week and am new to the airline industry, what questions should I ask at the interview regarding pay, scheduling, QOL, reserve, etc.? I'm looking for the kind of questions and answers you wished you new before you started at the airlines.

Thanks in advance.

The questions you should ask, you won't get honest answers from a recruiter.

EnyFlyr
04-30-2019, 12:00 PM

Thanks in advance.

ĎBout to get my popcorn

rld1k
04-30-2019, 12:19 PM
"why is envoy the lowest paid regional airline in the United States?"

blackbox348
04-30-2019, 12:37 PM
Why come here when you can go to PSA, make 20% more money, still have flow, and way better work rules/qol?

Voski
04-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Why come here when you can go to PSA, make 20% more money, still have flow, and way better work rules/qol?

SAP alone is worth X dollars more in compensation, too.

NoValueAviator
04-30-2019, 01:50 PM
The most important question is the one you ask yourself, ďwhat mistakes did I make that Iím considering working for EnvoyĒ

jake cutter
04-30-2019, 05:11 PM
The flow appeals to me and itís a large reason why Iím considering Envoy. However, I donít see any wording or metrics backing up the numbers presented to me while being recruited. How do I know when I will flow and is it guaranteed?

Varsity
04-30-2019, 05:30 PM
The flow appeals to me and itís a large reason why Iím considering Envoy. However, I donít see any wording or metrics backing up the numbers presented to me while being recruited. How do I know when I will flow and is it guaranteed?

You don't know and no it's not.

If you're hired today, maybe in a decade. 10~ years.

People flowing today are 2008-2010ish hires, but they are flowing at a much higher rate than you will flow. The flow will fall early next year from 29 a month to 15 a month.

jake cutter
04-30-2019, 05:33 PM
Oh I know Iím just trying to give the kid some fodder. Question everything.

dera
04-30-2019, 05:35 PM
You don't know and no it's not.

If you're hired today, maybe in a decade. 10~ years.

People flowing today are 2008-2010ish hires, but they are flowing at a much higher rate than you will flow. The flow will fall early next year from 29 a month to 15 a month.

Well, in fairness, it picks back up after dropping down to 15 for a while.
8.9 years for a new hire today in the union list, worst case scenario based on current contract.
(obviously this is subject to change).

ERAUAV8TR
04-30-2019, 06:02 PM
"why is envoy the lowest paid regional airline in the United States?"

Repeat over and over!

iFlyStick
04-30-2019, 06:05 PM
Sorry, my bad, I didnít specify I was looking for non-cynical responses! :)

I know the recruiterís sole job is to get pilots in the door and not to talk about the negative stuff. Thatís why Iím looking for a list of questions to ask.

Iím interviewing at other airlines as well and want to be able to compare them based on the answers they give me.

I honestly donít know the right questions to ask before committing to any airline.

Thanks!

Squirrel27
04-30-2019, 06:24 PM

I know the recruiterís sole job is to get pilots in the door and not to talk about the negative stuff. Thatís why Iím looking for a list of questions to ask.

Iím interviewing at other airlines as well and want to be able to compare them based on the answers they give me.

I honestly donít know the right questions to ask before committing to any airline.

Thanks!

For the record, I agree with all of the prior responses. Unless you have a really, really good reason to come to Envoy (flying the 175 should not be a good reason) then there are way better places to be looking right now.

That being said, you should ask questions about what is important to you. Are you a potential commuter? Ask how commutable the schedules are. Do you want money? Ask if overtime flying is available. Do you want days off? Ask about junior manning, how often it happens. Ask how many days off an average line has. Do you want to upgrade soon? Ask about when people are actually upgrading right now.

Nobody can tell you want questions to ask, because only you know what's really important to you. Different things are important to different people. For example, I'm a commuter, so commutability of the schedule is important to me. I didn't spend much time on reserve, so I don't really care about reserve rules. If you're going to a place with long reserve, or if you are interested in living in base and bidding reserve on purpose, reserve rules might be really important to you.

If you're looking for industry insights as to what regional is about to get the next contract or lose flying, the recruiters act like they know, but generally don't know.

dera
04-30-2019, 06:26 PM
For the record, I agree with all of the prior responses. Unless you have a really, really good reason to come to Envoy (flying the 175 should not be a good reason) then there are way better places to be looking right now.

That being said, you should ask questions about what is important to you. Are you a potential commuter? Ask how commutable the schedules are. Do you want money? Ask if overtime flying is available. Do you want days off? Ask about junior manning, how often it happens. Ask how many days off an average line has. Do you want to upgrade soon? Ask about when people are actually upgrading right now.

Nobody can tell you want questions to ask, because only you know what's really important to you. Different things are important to different people. For example, I'm a commuter, so commutability of the schedule is important to me. I didn't spend much time on reserve, so I don't really care about reserve rules. If you're going to a place with long reserve, or if you are interested in living in base and bidding reserve on purpose, reserve rules might be really important to you.

If you're looking for industry insights as to what regional is about to get the next contract or lose flying, the recruiters act like they know, but generally don't know.

I don't see why a commuter would consider Envoy.

highfarfast
04-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Thanks!

OK. Here's a non-cynical response.

There's really no questions that you need to ask. Because there's no "good" answers than a recruiter can honestly give you. So what's the point?

That said, Envoy COULD still be the right place for you if you meet the following criteria:

1) You live in, or plan to live in, DFW.
2) You do not value flow.

If the above criteria do not match for you, let us know. Someone here can probably steer you to the correct location.