Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Tangalanga
05-18-2019, 02:00 AM
Hi guys.
Would UPS consider you for an interview without having a 4 year degree, regardless of your experience?
I'm a B747-8 Captain, mid 40's, and around 11000hs flying time experience.
Thank you!!!

navigatro
05-18-2019, 03:19 AM
Degree is preferred, not required.

They have hired a handful without a degree in the past 7 years. (out of 700+)

So it is possible, but not likely. In any case you would have to be HIGHLY qualified otherwise.

Good luck.

Bahamasflyer
05-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Just get the 4 year done with ASAP!

(And this is coming from someone who does not yet have it!)

Riverside
05-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Hi guys.
Would UPS consider you for an interview without having a 4 year degree, regardless of your experience?
Thank you!!!

How many recommendations do you have?

flensr
05-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Why not just get the degree? Start today. Get 2 years worth of credits for cheap at a local community college, finish up anywhere.

The degree can be in anything. Quite literally anything. So just get it done.

tnkrdrvr
05-18-2019, 10:12 AM
Hi guys.
Thank you!!!

You are stacking the deck against yourself. Definitely apply anyway, get some internal recommendations, and go to a job fair. If your resume is clean (no DUIs, bad PRIA, etc) you might just get in. You will not get an interview without that extra mile because the computer will screen you out based on lack of degree. Good luck

hvydvr
05-18-2019, 03:50 PM
I had a good friend picked up without one. He was a current 767 captain already flying cargo with a clean sheet and some internal recs. So it can happen. But as others have already mentioned, the odds are long.

robxjt27
05-18-2019, 05:18 PM
The better question is will you ever make it out of the pool even if you do get an interview (and are subsequently successful)? The answer to that is not likely.

mrvmo
05-18-2019, 06:16 PM
This question comes up every so often here on APC. Yes 1-2 every few years get on without a degree, but it is far from the norm. Your chances without a degree are extremely slim (not none, but pretty darn close.) The probability of getting hired at UPS without a degree is about as good (bad) as the other majors. Like the others have said.....go get your degree.

Tangalanga
05-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Thank you all for the sincere advice.

I have been out of the US for more than 10 years now, so a bit lost with what companies are really looking for. I had the wrong idea I guess, that be current on type, Captain and having "descent" experience will compensate for the lack of a college education.

I am just intimidated by going to college when I'm almost 44, the fact that English is not my mother tongue, and 25 years had passed since my last day at a school.
Any way, I will apply regardless, nothing to loose, and definitely make "obtain a bachelor's degree" my goal number one for the near future.
Thank you again.

Happy landings

Tangalanga
05-19-2019, 10:25 AM
How many recommendations do you have?

One senior Captain, one new FO.

brownie
05-19-2019, 04:22 PM
This question comes up every so often here on APC. Yes 1-2 every few years get on without a degree, but it is far from the norm. Your chances without a degree are extremely slim (not none, but pretty darn close.) The probability of getting hired at UPS without a degree is about as good (bad) as the other majors. Like the others have said.....go get your degree.

https://youtu.be/zMRrNY0pxfM

mrvmo
05-19-2019, 06:27 PM
https://youtu.be/zmrrny0pxfm

Halarious!!!!

Hellafo
05-20-2019, 01:07 PM
No degree here, (in the works, very very slowly). Finished the Hogan a month ago. Current 737 captain.

whalesurfer
05-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Hi guys.
Thank you!!!

It’s definitely preferred BUT there are ways around it.. if you have a ‘plan’, ie, enroll in a single online class and let them know you’re working on finishing your degree online your odds will increase exponentially..
Friend was hired that way. He went to a job fair and showed them his online enrollment documents of some kind (not sure what it was), they made notes and ~3 months later he was offered the hogan test, then they called him for an interview....

SoFloFlyer
05-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Liberty University has a great online program so itís worth looking into. Theyíll give you plenty of credits towards N aviation degree based on your experience!

SuperDuty
05-22-2019, 05:13 AM
I finished up at Thomas Edison University, all online. They gave a bunch of credit for my certificates/ratings (40+), and accepted most of my associates degree I had completed years ago at a community college. I had to take 9 classes online to finish. It was a lot of work, and not the most enjoyable way to spend my time on my layovers, but Iím glad I did it. Eventually FedEx called. Iím sure I wouldnít have received that call had I not checked the degree box.

Machtransition
05-28-2019, 02:43 PM
Itís definitely preferred BUT there are ways around it.. if you have a Ďplaní, ie, enroll in a single online class and let them know youíre working on finishing your degree online your odds will increase exponentially..
Friend was hired that way. He went to a job fair and showed them his online enrollment documents of some kind (not sure what it was), they made notes and ~3 months later he was offered the hogan test, then they called him for an interview....

Thank you for this tip! I'm 2 years into my online degree and did not consider showing transcripts to 'prove' it.

Mach

CanWeGetTheLeft
05-31-2019, 04:27 AM
The better question is will you ever make it out of the pool even if you do get an interview (and are subsequently successful)? The answer to that is not likely.

This is accurate. I have a friend that meets this exact description who has been treading water for a long time.

Machtransition
06-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Thank you all for the sincere advice.

I have been out of the US for more than 10 years now, so a bit lost with what companies are really looking for. I had the wrong idea I guess, that be current on type, Captain and having "descent" experience will compensate for the lack of a college education.

I am just intimidated by going to college when I'm almost 44, the fact that English is not my mother tongue, and 25 years had passed since my last day at a school.
Any way, I will apply regardless, nothing to loose, and definitely make "obtain a bachelor's degree" my goal number one for the near future.
Thank you again.

Happy landings

Hello,

I experienced the same feelings as you 2 years ago. I'm in my mid 30s and was afraid to take the leap and begin school. I can tell you that out of the 10 or so classes that I've completed so far, almost all of them have had several students in their 40s and even 50s.

The online experience has been great so far. I'm taking 1 class at a time so that I'm able to devote enough time to work / family / life obligations. It's a snails pace and will take me a few years to finish, but I'm getting it done. If you have any specific questions or want to know more, I'm happy to lend any assistance I can offer!

Mach