Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : DC Pilot Base?

navlys
05-22-2019, 05:08 PM
A pilot friend of mine used to talk about this as an almost certainty, but it never materialized. Was this ever under serious consideration? Would it ever be likely to happen in the future?

echelon
05-22-2019, 05:53 PM
A pilot friend of mine used to talk about this as an almost certainty, but it never materialized. Was this ever under serious consideration? Would it ever be likely to happen in the future?

Did you mean to post this in the Alaska forum?

They closed the JFK base almost as soon as they could, they gave up our slots in LGA and DCA, outsourced all our DAL flying to the east coast to SkyWest, and have been taking it in the shorts on the L-VX transcon routes. Why on earth would they put a pilot base in DC? What are there, 5 or 6 while flights a day into IAD/DCA combined?

ShyGuy
05-22-2019, 06:09 PM

If Washington DC isn’t in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, or California, it’s not going to be a pilot base.

av8or
05-23-2019, 12:25 AM
If Washington DC isnít in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, or California, itís not going to be a pilot base.

😂😂😂 Wait WHAT?!! Itís NOT!!?? It prob should be. Iím pretty positive that Seattle is the hub of the US. A virtual snapshot of Americana.

navlys
05-23-2019, 06:04 AM
Forgive me. I did mean to post in the Alaska forum because my pilot friend flies for Alaska. I am not a pilot, nor am I associated with anything related to aviation, so I don't understand many of the acronyms. I only know that as late as last October, he said there was a lot of talk about it within the company. I merely wanted to get some information. I apologize if it was a dumb question. :(

Regards,
Laura

ShyGuy
05-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Forgive me. I did mean to post in the Alaska forum because my pilot friend flies for Alaska. I am not a pilot, nor am I associated with anything related to aviation, so I don't understand many of the acronyms. I only know that as late as last October, he said there was a lot of talk about it within the company. I merely wanted to get some information. I apologize if it was a dumb question. :(

Regards,
Laura

Oh you were serious, sorry I'll put my sarcasm aside.

No, there is no talks or chance of any Washington DC base. The only east coast pilot base shut down last year. If there was any inkling of an east coast base, it would be New York but clearly AS doesn't think the current number of flights to EWR/JFK necessitate a pilot base. Now at the original VX for a very short period of time the company did experiment with some pairings originating/terminating out of IAD, a virtual base if you will. But from what I understand it did not last long. That was over 10 yrs ago. Don't count on any east coast or mid-country pilot base at Alaska. It would probably take another merger to make that a reality.

cmrflyer
05-24-2019, 05:18 AM
It wasnít over 10 years ago.

navlys
05-24-2019, 05:42 AM
Thanks very much; I appreciate the reply. :) Could I ask what VX means?

TransWorld
05-24-2019, 07:30 AM

Virgin America, now owned by Alaska.

I just asked to have it added to the acronym Wiki under Career Questions.

navlys
05-24-2019, 10:02 AM
Thank you very much; I appreciate the help. :)

ShyGuy
05-24-2019, 01:42 PM
It wasnít over 10 years ago.

Oh ok, somewhere in the 2009-2011-ish timeframe?

VirginEskimo
05-24-2019, 03:46 PM

VX is also military designation for nerve gas which I always thought was kind of funny!

ShyGuy
05-24-2019, 03:54 PM
VX is also military designation for nerve gas which I always thought was kind of funny!

We have to inject the atropine into our hearts if we are exposed! :D

TransWorld
05-25-2019, 03:17 PM

For those who are not familiar when airplane reliability was not what it is now (1950s), TWA was know as Try Walking Awhile. I always thought it was funny!

And, no, other airlines were not any better.

cmrflyer
05-26-2019, 01:38 PM
Oh ok, somewhere in the 2009-2011-ish timeframe?

2011 I think. I stopped flying those trips in 2010 I think it was.