Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hotel Horror Stories

ERAUAV8TR
06-02-2019, 06:52 AM
One of the most disappointing things at envoy is the hotels other than the pay. I constantly fly with individuals who tell me they wake up feeling ill (soar throat, nauseous, and dizzy) due to cleanliness of the hotel such as the air, bugs, mold, or sheets. I also have experienced many instances of this. I have seen so many cockroaches and bed bugs it just amazes me they put us up in these hotels. Safety is also not a concern. They place us near greyhound bus stops, places in the dangerous areas, and no sidewalks. I have been followed by homeless and even a gang on bicycles. Good luck finding food or getting there at some of these hotels. In an effort to get food, I have heard pilots and flight attendants getting hit by cars dying or being put in comas.

Please share some of your experiences.

Maybe this thread will wake up the Union as well as the company.

blackbox348
06-02-2019, 07:12 AM
@ Holiday Inn SGF, A captain found a syringe, dope, and bloody bandages behind the bed and posted it in one of the Facebook groups last week

AeroEnvoy
06-02-2019, 07:25 AM
The hotel committee doesnít seem all that concern. In fact I remember one union rep telling one of ours not to come crying to the union for help

ERAUAV8TR
06-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Wow, really!!! They are not even upholding the contract with vans. No longer are they there waiting or tracking. Adds a good hour to hour and a half to our day. Fatigue!!

pitchattitude
06-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Document EVERYTHING. Use crew cares. If you have to fatigue because of transportation or hotel issues, DO IT.

pitchattitude
06-02-2019, 08:13 AM
The Envoy training hotel in DFW is known for its mold and Black Ooze that often greets you from the tub in the morning.

The hotel for sims in STL is in Ferguson. Do the math...

ERAUAV8TR
06-02-2019, 08:17 AM
The Envoy training hotel in DFW is known for its mold and Black Ooze that often greets you from the tub in the morning.

Ooze ? Omg... Sounds like a ninja turtle movie. Speechless

rld1k
06-02-2019, 09:14 AM
Crew care doesn't do anything. Hotel will respond to your complaint and company will believe them. Better get timestamped video and pictures or don't bother.

Cyio
06-02-2019, 09:23 AM
While I do know the hotel committee tries, much like everything here it all comes down to money and the company doesn't care if you are living in a crap hotel, so long as they can legally say you can rest there. We do get moved out of hotels when things get bad, it just takes forever.

If you didn't get the rest you needed because of something at a hotel, document it with video and pictures, crew care it, notify the hotel and then fatigue it.

If you can't sleep at night because of bugs, noises, fearful of the neighborhood etc, document it, crew care it, notify the hotel and then fatigue it. Notify OSHA and the local health department as well. Pretty sure they would be interested in knowing a local business has a bug infestation.

If you are not fit to fly because you are sick due to mold or other unsatisfactory condition, document it, crew care it, notify the hotel and call in sick/fatigue. Go one step further and pipeline it or notify the FAA.

Its time this company gets off its ass and they won't do it so long as we continue to tolerate it. I will say though, while it is easy to ***** and moan about the hotel committee or the hotels themselves, positive crew cares are equally, if not more, important. I know, when things are going well you don't feel like sending in a good word, but it does go a long way.

In the case of the syringe and drug paraphernalia I would have notified the local police as well.

EnyFlyr
06-02-2019, 01:01 PM
@ Holiday Inn SGF, A captain found a syringe, dope, and bloody bandages behind the bed and posted it in one of the Facebook groups last week

I have sent many many crew cares complaining about the SGF overnight, they pretty much told me if the van is on time and it doesn't affect our out times the company will likely keep us there. I HATE that place

havick206
06-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Thereís also no mechanism at envoy to complain about API themselves.

If you complain about API in an M51, management gets all butthurt and then has the CP call you. Even when API causes a plane to go out 2hrs late because of their own incompetence.

highfarfast
06-02-2019, 01:36 PM
I have sent many many crew cares complaining about the SGF overnight, they pretty much told me if the van is on time and it doesn't affect our out times the company will likely keep us there. I HATE that place

Might be better off making sure the major review sites know of the problems, and if you go that route don't make any crap up. If the hotel knows it's pilots doing it, they may look to get out of the contract. Just a thought.

Airguitar
06-02-2019, 01:43 PM
DFW training hotel, woke up about 0300 to what sounded like water in ear. Looked in mirror and saw an ant crawl out of my ear. Then noticed ants on pillow, bed, chair. Noticed crumbs under chair cushion.
Same week lost power for about 8 hours during a hot summer evening.
Different hotel, canít remember where, found a crack pipe stuffed in tissue box.

Gooselives
06-02-2019, 01:57 PM
I woke at 0400 to something tickling me. It was a cockroach down my shirt.

Lil bit different than my dream I was having at that moment.

#mega

martyByrde
06-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Might be better off making sure the major review sites know of the problems, and if you go that route don't make any crap up. If the hotel knows it's pilots doing it, they may look to get out of the contract. Just a thought.

Thatís probably against our social media policy outlined in FM1 😂

EnyFlyr
06-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Thatís probably against our social media policy outlined in FM1 😂

Welll you dont say on your review ďim an airline pilotĒ but I see what highfarfast is saying cause I copy the same crew care to review sites and post it. Itís not like im making any of it up

MD-11Loader
06-02-2019, 03:40 PM
Send your complaints right to Ric and Pedro. Who cares if they donít like it. API is clearly comprised of a group of nutless monkeys, so we may as well bombard the envoy Super Squad.

SullyJR
06-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Envoy crews stay in some of the worst hotels compared to other airlines. Even other regional airlines are staying at much better hotels than we are in the same cities. Itís really sad. The hotel in SGF was just as bad 5 years ago. Many strung out homeless people usually on the sidewalk asking for money, rooms in terrible condition, and even a shooting a couple years ago. The entire lobby was closed by police after the shooting and caused several kick off flights to depart late. There have probably been 1000 crew cares submitted since weíve been there. The unions continued response of ďplease submit a crew careĒ obviously is not getting anything changed.

Gooselives
06-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Envoy crews stay in some of the worst hotels compared to other airlines. Even other regional airlines are staying at much better hotels than we are in the same cities. Itís really sad. The hotel in SGF was just as bad 5 years ago. Many strung out homeless people usually on the sidewalk asking for money, rooms in terrible condition, and even a shooting a couple years ago. The entire lobby was closed by police after the shooting and caused several kick off flights to depart late. There have probably been 1000 crew cares submitted since weíve been there. The unions continued response of ďplease submit a crew careĒ obviously is not getting anything changed.

This makes me sick to read.

How can no change occur!?!

jake cutter
06-02-2019, 06:01 PM

So youíre saying midnight strolls to White Castle before your sim session is not advised?

MD-11Loader
06-02-2019, 06:06 PM
So youíre saying midnight strolls to White Castle before your sim session is not advised?

That hotel is badass from what people say. And itís not in Ferguson, which is on the other side of the airport.

Timbird
06-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Ooze ? Omg... Sounds like a ninja turtle movie. Speechless

Power rangers. Ivan ooze.

martyByrde
06-02-2019, 06:45 PM
This makes me sick to read.

How can no change occur!?!

Crew cares arenít the answer, calling in fatigued is. IMO. I think if the union pushed fatigue calls, and provided guidance on proper verbiage to use in the reports. Change may actually occur.

captjns
06-02-2019, 07:08 PM
You folks need to notify your Directors of Security and Safety with copies to the Chief Pilot, and HR, following chain of command. Don’t need to bother the DO if the Chief Pilot is worth his salt.

No satisfaction???? Get the DO involved... Still no satisfaction??? Then there’s the union, and then OSHA.

Ensure all items are properly documented with photos.

Retribution from the company??? Call in the shysters.

smtx123
06-02-2019, 08:48 PM
... New hotel in LIT, Doubletree, is pretty nice. Short walk to tons of nice restaurants and river walk. With how much we stay there, good to see a nice hotel there now.

Cyio
06-03-2019, 01:18 AM
... New hotel in LIT, Doubletree, is pretty nice. Short walk to tons of nice restaurants and river walk. With how much we stay there, good to see a nice hotel there now.

Make a positive crew care.

ninerdriver
06-03-2019, 03:16 AM
9E uses API, too, and most of our hotels are pretty decent. Some of them are fantastic.

The general rule with API seems to be if your airline tells API to get the cheapest hotel, then API will get the cheapest hotel. If API gets other criteria, then they'll match that criteria as best as they can, and they tend to do pretty well with it.

Of course, considering ENY, your management probably selects the "creepy crawlies" and "mystery bacteria" checkboxes when choosing hotel criteria...

CrowneVic
06-03-2019, 04:31 AM

It most likely wonít last, so enjoy it now.

My understanding is the main hotel is undergoing reno, so you can expect to be moved back to that sh&thole and enjoy the fine offerings of local fast foods and risking your life to cross the street in short order.

jake cutter
06-03-2019, 04:32 AM

Havenít done the new hotel yet but happy to be done with that dump that was the CP.

CrowneVic
06-03-2019, 04:33 AM
Havenít done the new hotel yet but happy to be done with that dump that was the CP.

Youíre not. Read above.

jake cutter
06-03-2019, 04:39 AM
**lalalallaalla* Iím not listening!!!

NoValueAviator
06-03-2019, 07:04 AM
The real losers here are our poor put-upon 145 FAs. Watching the creatures leer at them in the lobbies of some of these dumps, disgusting beyond belief.

pitchattitude
06-03-2019, 08:15 AM
The real losers here are our poor put-upon 145 FAs. Watching the creatures leer at them in the lobbies of some of these dumps, disgusting beyond belief.
Yeah, these must be some sad individuals if theyíre leering at ENY FAs.

highfarfast
06-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Yeah, these must be some sad individuals if theyíre leering at ENY FAs.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

LNL76
06-03-2019, 08:53 AM
So, creeps who leer at "unattractive" females is a head-scratcher for you fine male specimens? :rolleyes:

NoValueAviator
06-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Iím not talking about how attractive or unattractive our FAís are, Iím talking about them having to worry about local freakazoids shadowing them on overnights because we stay in high crime areas.

LNL76
06-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Iím not talking about how attractive or unattractive our FAís are, Iím talking about them having to worry about local freakazoids shadowing them on overnights because we stay in high crime areas.

I agree with you 100%! I was replying to the two "gentlemen" who posted after you.

BIueSideUp
06-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Yea this is a real problem!

highfarfast
06-03-2019, 11:16 AM
So, creeps who leer at "unattractive" females is a head-scratcher for you fine male specimens? :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%! I was replying to the two "gentlemen" who posted after you.

lol, no one said anything about 'female' flight attendants but yeah, if you want to go the PC route, it would be strange for anyone to be leering at most all of us, pilots or flight attendants. ;)

NoValueAviator
06-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Low key, if you are a pilot and you aren’t getting leered at in Texas outstations, you are doing something wrong. The bar is really really low in places like ABI and TYR.

Anyway, I wish I could post about my hotel horror stories, all the worst ones w/ the exception of HI Bedford are hit by my base/eq on overnights, but since I do detailed crew cares they’d be able to dox me...

UncreativeUser
06-03-2019, 12:49 PM

PC alert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driver61
06-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Your Captains need to start acting like captains and just refuse to stay at the crap hotels. I did it when we were scheduled to stay at the ď stabin suites ď in CMH. Called CS and told them for the Safty of my crew, find us another hotel. When we landed in CMH, we had a different hotel. BE THE BOSS folks!!

ERAUAV8TR
06-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Your Captains need to start acting like captains and just refuse to stay at the crap hotels. I did it when we were scheduled to stay at the ď stabin suites ď in CMH. Called CS and told them for the Safty of my crew, find us another hotel. When we landed in CMH, we had a different hotel. BE THE BOSS folks!!

You must not work here! Today CS would direct to API where you would be placed on hold till you give up! Its not about being the boss! Its about this places poor infrastructure and toxic atmosphere that nothing gets accomplished!

Note: CMH has multiple hotels on record there for alternates. Not true for many overnights thus not easily accomplished for many. Aka you lucked out!

dera
06-04-2019, 09:57 AM
You must not work here! Today CS would direct to API where you would be placed on hold till you give up! Its not about being the boss! Its about this places poor infrastructure and toxic atmosphere that nothing gets accomplished!

Note: CMH has multiple hotels on record there for alternates. Not true for many overnights thus not easily accomplished for many. Aka you lucked out!

So when the hotel committee specifically says DO NOT CALL API, you still call them?

NoValueAviator
06-04-2019, 10:01 AM
So when the hotel committee specifically says DO NOT CALL API, you still call them?

"Don't call API" is not in the CBA or FM1?

I can think of several situations where my options would be to sleep on the floor somewhere, book out of pocket and expense it, or just call API and everyone was glad I did the third one.

dera
06-04-2019, 10:05 AM
"Don't call API" is not in the CBA or FM1?

I can think of several situations where my options would be to sleep on the floor somewhere, book out of pocket and expense it, or just call API and everyone was glad I did the third one.

I'm just repeating what the union tells us.

ERAUAV8TR
06-04-2019, 10:07 AM

I have called api on many occasions, gets the job done! Wake up dera! Who taught you?

NoValueAviator
06-04-2019, 10:07 AM
I'm just repeating what the union tells us.

Have you ever considered repeating what I tell you?

driver61
06-04-2019, 10:21 AM
I was there for 11 years bubba, how about getting up off your knees and start standing up for your career and your crews.

ERAUAV8TR
06-04-2019, 10:35 AM
I was there for 11 years bubba, how about getting up off your knees and start standing up for your career and your crews.

Bubba!?! Yesss I am on my knees adapting to this toxic place, which has degraded exponentially since you left!

PS sorry your prison sentence was so long but dont look back at this place thru this forum move on...like an inmate that only knows prison life and longs to go back!

driver61
06-04-2019, 10:56 AM
I can only imagine how itís downgraded, not doubting you a bit on that point. Still have a lot a good friends there so I check in from time to time too see how itís going. Hopefully, you will not have to be there as long. My point I was trying to get across is that in regards to hotels, when you guys start fatiguing and it starts to cost Envoy $$ due to the cxld flights not because of WX and Envoy has to accommodate Pax, nothing really is going to change. Also , start submitting ASAPís stating. How unsafe the hotels are. The FAA gets a copy of every ASAP

blackbox348
06-04-2019, 01:06 PM

I was told this by the Hotel Committee in regards to my next SGF overnight, that you can request a different hotel but just try and do it a day ahead of time to give API reasonable time to accommodate.

martyByrde
06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
in regards to hotels, when you guys start fatiguing and it starts to cost Envoy $$ due to the cxld flights not because of WX and Envoy has to accommodate Pax, nothing really is going to change. Also , start submitting ASAPís stating. How unsafe the hotels are. The FAA gets a copy of every ASAP
Yup! However our ALPA doesnít push this. All weíre told is, ďfile a crew care.Ē

uavking
06-05-2019, 07:08 PM
I was told this by the Hotel Committee in regards to my next SGF overnight, that you can request a different hotel but just try and do it a day ahead of time to give API reasonable time to accommodate.

Give API reasonable time to accommodate? That's absurd. Their reasonable time to accommodate was about three years ago.

captjns
06-07-2019, 07:35 PM
I can only imagine how itís downgraded, not doubting you a bit on that point. Still have a lot a good friends there so I check in from time to time too see how itís going. Hopefully, you will not have to be there as long. My point I was trying to get across is that in regards to hotels, when you guys start fatiguing and it starts to cost Envoy $$ due to the cxld flights not because of WX and Envoy has to accommodate Pax, nothing really is going to change. Also , start submitting ASAPís stating. How unsafe the hotels are. The FAA gets a copy of every ASAP

Poor hotel accommodations are not ASAP worthy. Safety and or security issues are brought to the attention of your Director of Security and or Safety, as well as HR, with copies to your chief pilot.

Lahey
06-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Poor hotel accommodations are not ASAP worthy. Safety and or security issues are brought to the attention of your Director of Security and or Safety, as well as HR, with copies to your chief pilot.

Not being given a facility to obtain adequate rest isnít ASAP worthy? Last I checked, fatigue = ASAP.

boiler07
06-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Not being given a facility to obtain adequate rest isn’t ASAP worthy? Last I checked, fatigue = ASAP.

Claim the hotel was fatiguing after you already flew that day? Something doesn't add up. :rolleyes:

Lahey
06-08-2019, 02:44 AM
Claim the hotel was fatiguing after you already flew that day? Something doesn't add up. :rolleyes:

Although I do see your point and I agree with you, what Iím saying is If you donít get adequate rest, you attempt to fly the following day and are too tired to fly, itís a fatigue call which could also be an ASAP report.

Cyio
06-08-2019, 03:28 AM

The idea would be that you would know prior to flying if you received adequate rest and fatigue then. If you are up all night because you discovered bugs in the rooms and therefore couldn't sleep well, you could call fatigue for that.

I mean, if you are tired you are tired and a multitude of things could cause that.

wildcat1
06-10-2019, 07:44 PM
One of the most disappointing things at envoy is the hotels other than the pay. I constantly fly with individuals who tell me they wake up feeling ill (soar throat, nauseous, and dizzy) due to cleanliness of the hotel such as the air, bugs, mold, or sheets. I also have experienced many instances of this. I have seen so many cockroaches and bed bugs it just amazes me they put us up in these hotels. Safety is also not a concern. They place us near greyhound bus stops, places in the dangerous areas, and no sidewalks. I have been followed by homeless and even a gang on bicycles. Good luck finding food or getting there at some of these hotels. In an effort to get food, I have heard pilots and flight attendants getting hit by cars dying or being put in comas.

Please share some of your experiences.

Maybe this thread will wake up the Union as well as the company.

All you need to know about this thread is that it was started by a Riddle grad. Nuf said.

Everything about this is highly suspect.

pitchattitude
06-10-2019, 08:28 PM
All you need to know about this thread is that it was started by a Riddle grad. Nuf said.

While this may have been started by Riddle Diddle, what part of any of this is overly suspect? The part about the needles, maybe? But if you work here, you have been to these places. Why the doubt??

Cyio
06-11-2019, 04:44 AM

I dont see how this matters. Virtually everything that was posted either is happening or has happened.

wildcat1
06-14-2019, 01:52 PM
While this may have been started by Riddle Diddle, what part of any of this is overly suspect? The part about the needles, maybe? But if you work here, you have been to these places. Why the doubt??

Because I have worked here and I've never seen anything like this. Not one of my crew has ever claimed to be sick from the hotel. Not one time have I ever been accosted by the homeless or a bicycle gang. Bicycle gang? Really? Nor have I heard of any of our crews getting hit walking to food.

Now, no sidewalks...that is the one thing I have seen (BNA). But I did crew care it. Bed bugs happen, especially at nicer hotels. The company can't control that. But crew care is there for a reason. Use it.

Just grow up. This company is full of pukes acting like a bunch of privileged little *****es. Stop. The hotels aren't perfect by any means. But these overly exaggerated claims do nothing, absolutely nothing, to advance anything positive for us. So stop, grow up and let it go.

NoValueAviator
06-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Because I have worked here and I've never seen anything like this. Not one of my crew has ever claimed to be sick from the hotel. Not one time have I ever been accosted by the homeless or a bicycle gang. Bicycle gang? Really? Nor have I heard of any of our crews getting hit walking to food.

Now, no sidewalks...that is the one thing I have seen (BNA). But I did crew care it. Bed bugs happen, especially at nicer hotels. The company can't control that. But crew care is there for a reason. Use it.

Just grow up. This company is full of pukes acting like a bunch of privileged little *****es. Stop. The hotels aren't perfect by any means. But these overly exaggerated claims do nothing, absolutely nothing, to advance anything positive for us. So stop, grow up and let it go.

175?

filler mainline regional filler widebody filler

ERAUAV8TR
06-14-2019, 02:31 PM

You got blinders on...just the other day I had a guy pull his junk out at me in front of our hotel..we stay in the ghetto at some of these overnights...every-morning ask your crew how they slept...you will be surprised what they say...one night my fo said he called the police because there was a line of guys at the room next to him...prostitution...one fo said a girl knocked on his door at 4am seeing if he was interested...ruined his rest...fos tell me they open the van door and Marijuana smoke billows out...this is the regional profession...because we let it....grow up really? Smarten up and look around at your surroundings and be alert...yes people have died on overnights and been in comas....stay safe

highfarfast
06-14-2019, 09:14 PM

Iím an old dude thatís been working in the travel industry long before I came to Envoy. Iíll say this:

MOST of our hotels are somewhere between OK to great. However, the single worst hotel Iíve ever stayed at in my entire life was through Envoy. Not close. No where near close. Couldnít believe it was one of our hotels. And then there are others that fall into the Ďsome of the worstí category. As far as the Ďsome of the worstí category goes, with previous jobs it was a one off thing where I was booking my own hotels and would just simply not use that hotel again. Here, I have to keep going and going and going. Crew cares do nothing to fix that.

Turbine
06-22-2019, 08:26 PM

"bed bugs happen, especially at nicer hotels" ... umm, no!

This guy probably stays in a Comfart inn or best western when he goes on vacation.

Envoy hotels are garbage, end of story.

MD-11Loader
06-22-2019, 08:37 PM
I wonder if the person who posted the picture of the needle and foil in his room got any wrath from the company? Iím sure API probably was non too pleased that yet another one of their selections was a festering crack den. Much like the old CMH short layover hotel.

f16jetmech
06-22-2019, 09:36 PM
"bed bugs happen, especially at nicer hotels" ... umm, no!

This guy probably stays in a Comfart inn or best western when he goes on vacation.

Envoy hotels are garbage, end of story.

One of the nicer hotels in our system (GGG) had bed bugs a few weeks ago. My captain called me and found one in his bed... Went and saw it with my own eyes. Bed bugs DO happen in nice hotels. Partly from us staying in the same rooms and spreading them.