Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : DFW Base

paulhood
06-17-2019, 10:56 PM
I might be a new hire soon, I would like to eventually be based in DFW, what equipment should I bid for, that would allow me to return to DFW ASAP?

Thanks

martyByrde
06-17-2019, 11:05 PM
I might be a new hire soon, I would like to eventually be based in DFW, what equipment should I bid for, that would allow me to return to DFW ASAP?

Thanks
“Bid” for Skywest or Mesa if you want DFW

blackbox348
06-17-2019, 11:25 PM

Thanks

Don’t even consider coming here, do some research.

HalyardJammer
06-17-2019, 11:34 PM
Holy smokes, this is the wrong time to come to Envoy.

Cyio
06-18-2019, 04:19 AM

Thanks

Seriously, just read the top topics in this forum and if you are still even considering this place, god help you. Not even joking, consider Skywest, they are not going anywhere and have a base here, as well as many other locations should you choose.

If you thinking of Envoy because of flow due to not having a degree, spend the next five years getting one online easily and cheaply and then go to another major. This route will still have you beating the flow by 4.5 years.

NoValueAviator
06-18-2019, 04:23 AM
Plz don’t come here, you’re hurting all of us if you do. Yes, even the bottom guys on reserve

Squirrel27
06-18-2019, 05:05 AM
Seriously, just read the top topics in this forum and if you are still even considering this place, god help you. Not even joking, consider Skywest, they are not going anywhere and have a base here, as well as many other locations should you choose.

If you thinking of Envoy because of flow due to not having a degree, spend the next five years getting one online easily and cheaply and then go to another major. This route will still have you beating the flow by 4.5 years.

Yeah, at this point, you would make much more money AND get to a major before half a decade before flowing if you followed this route, even without a degree. 8-9 year flow is not worth anything. If it even exists then.

FUPMEagle
06-18-2019, 08:41 AM
This has to be a troll. Or dumb enough to not even skim any of the top 10 current threads.

buddies8
06-18-2019, 10:21 AM
I agree with you, trolling to see what we say after they backed out of the aip. FUPM MEGA

Pedro4President
06-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Thanks
It really is going to be hard to tell what equipment to select for them fastest transfer. 95%would probably say the 175 but it really is up in the air.

Secondly if you want DFW as a base then Envoy or Skywest is unfortunately your only options. Skywest has a small base here but with better pay and no union.

Don’t listen to the sky is falling guys on here. It’s not sucking any more or less when they chose to come here. The thing is there are much better options out there right now than Envoy in terms of Pay and QOL.

paulhood
06-18-2019, 11:29 AM
It really is going to be hard to tell what equipment to select for them fastest transfer. 95%would probably say the 175 but it really is up in the air.

Secondly if you want DFW as a base then Envoy or Skywest is unfortunately your only options. Skywest has a small base here but with better pay and no union.

Don’t listen to the sky is falling guys on here. It’s not sucking any more or less when they chose to come here. The thing is there are much better options out there right now than Envoy in terms of Pay and QOL.

Thanks for being the only one to answer my question. Everyone thanks for the advice, but I really would like to stay in DFW, even though Skywest has a base in DFW, since it is not HDQs, it can be gone tomorrow.

Pedro4President
06-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Thanks for being the only one to answer my question. Everyone thanks for the advice, but I really would like to stay in DFW, even though Skywest has a base in DFW, since it is not HDQs, it can be gone tomorrow.

Exactly.... the reason it’s a hard question to answer is because our planners have done an absolutely horrible job of staffing our bases appropriately. Now I’m not sure if it’s incompetence or if they are just trying to hit a moving target that AAG hands out for them.

paulhood
06-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Exactly.... the reason it’s a hard question to answer is because our planners have done an absolutely horrible job of staffing our bases appropriately. Now I’m not sure if it’s incompetence or if they are just trying to hit a moving target that AAG hands out for them.

OK I get it, is a gamble, so I will gamble away. Another reason and not that I have to explain myself to anyone, I need to stay in DFW during training, is there another regional that does initial training in DFW?

Pedro4President
06-18-2019, 11:45 AM
OK I get it, is a gamble, so I will gamble away. Another reason and not that I have to explain myself to anyone, I need to stay in DFW during training, is there another regional that does initial training in DFW?
175 traing could be in STL.

paulhood
06-18-2019, 11:48 AM
175 traing could be in STL.

But just the SIM part correct?

pitchattitude
06-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Check your PMs.

Yes, possibly, 175 does sims in STL.

knewyork
06-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Plenty of people gave you an answer. It just wasn’t the one you wanted to hear. Great to know another pilot is joining the industry whose mentality is “I’ll do what’s good for me even if it hurts others”. Anyone going to envoy now is hurting the pilot group! Stop going!

TeeRainPULup
06-18-2019, 12:24 PM
I hope you like talking on the radio and swinging gear because if you fly with me and your hire date is after management screwed us in June 2019 that’s all you ll be doing for 4 days.

Pedro4President
06-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Plenty of people gave you an answer. It just wasn’t the one you wanted to hear. Great to know another pilot is joining the industry whose mentality is “I’ll do what’s good for me even if it hurts others”. Anyone going to envoy now is hurting the pilot group! Stop going!

I could say the same thing about you and every other pilot hired from late 2016 until now. 20K/45k bonus fo new hires nothing for CAs! You heard 20K and came running on your knees.

You like dera have no clue. You have no idea what you are asking for.

AeroEnvoy
06-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Mesa has a base in DFW and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Since the crj operates out of DFW you’ll be compensated 300% for open time and can be negotiated up to 500% depending on how desperate they are. You’ll also hold a line nearly immediately out of training.

It sounds like you’re neither a cadet or have any prior 121 experience so most likely you’ll get the 145 if you come to envoy. You’ll be sent to Chicago for a few months and eventually when you get to Dallas you’re still looking at a total of one year on reserve. Average line here is 13 days off with about 72 hrs credit. OT here is very competitive and is usually only for those who are senior. Bottom line is you won’t find anything here you wouldn’t in Mesa except Mesa has the opportunity to make more money and fly more.

TeeRainPULup
06-18-2019, 12:26 PM
I could say the same thing about you and every other pilot hired from late 2016 until now. 20K/45k bonus fo new hires nothing for CAs! You heard 20K and came running on your knees.

In 2016 this was the place to be. Totally different now.

bigtime209
06-18-2019, 12:40 PM
I hope you like talking on the radio and swinging gear because if you fly with me and your hire date is after management screwed us in June 2019 that’s all you ll be doing for 4 days.

But I suppose it was okay for you to come here after management screwed us in 2012 and 2014?

pitchattitude
06-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Mesa has a base in DFW and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Since the crj operates out of DFW you’ll be compensated 300% for open time and can be negotiated up to 500% depending on how desperate they are. You’ll also hold a line nearly immediately out of training.

It sounds like you’re neither a cadet or have any prior 121 experience so most likely you’ll get the 145 if you come to envoy. You’ll be sent to Chicago for a few months and eventually when you get to Dallas you’re still looking at a total of one year on reserve. Average line here is 13 days off with about 72 hrs credit. OT here is very competitive and is usually only for those who are senior. Bottom line is you won’t find anything here you wouldn’t in Mesa except Mesa has the opportunity to make more money and fly more.
Actually if you read his other posts and profile, he is military fixed wing rated and 121. Maybe even former Eagle as he has 145 and ATR in his profile. But that makes his situation worse as he will be immediately forced to ORD as a 145 captain. Likely able to get 175, maybe even DFW, but unless he REALLY wants to be in DFW ONLY while in training, there is no upside at Envoy.

TeeRainPULup
06-18-2019, 01:40 PM
But I suppose it was okay for you to come here after management screwed us in 2012 and 2014?

Yes I came years later when things got better not a month after you got screwed and everybody was saying not to come to Envoy. You would be hating life right now on reserve if people never showed up 2 years after you got screwed.

After we get the sign AIP I hope people flood this place.

paulhood
06-18-2019, 01:46 PM

Awesome!!!, less work and same pay, as well as experience. Would you like to buddy bid?

MEGAFUPM
06-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Many people have already been committed for months/years via cadet/RTP/ATP-CTP programs. You don't interview and start indoc the next day. This isn't pilots vs pilots, it's us vs management.

paulhood
06-18-2019, 02:05 PM
Many people have already been committed for months/years via cadet/RTP/ATP-CTP programs. You don't interview and start indoc the next day. This isn't pilots vs pilots, it's us vs management.

And as long as pilots do not get that, Management will always win.

bigtime209
06-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Yes I came years later when things got better not a month after you got screwed and everybody was saying not to come to Envoy. You would be hating life right now on reserve if people never showed up 2 years after you got screwed.

After we get the sign AIP I hope people flood this place.

You are such a hypocrite. "Years later when things got better?" You mean when you and all your buddies started swarming in when the company dangled some bandaid bonuses and shiny airplanes that in turn has allowed us to keep operating under 2 separate concessionary contracts? I'm not faulting you for coming here and I'm not faulting anyone else that comes here now. You're all big boys and girls and can make a decision base upon what's in your own best interests. It's just absurd to make threats that you'll treat new hires like a piece of dog sh|t for doing the exact same thing that you did in the not so distant past.

Ihavenoidea
06-18-2019, 02:30 PM
For the OP I was faced with the same dilemma and the best advice I can give you is to think long term. AA does very little OTS civilian hiring outside of its WO’s. Since I too would like to be in DFW (at AA) long term one of the WO’s makes the most sense for me. Skywest is a great company that sends lots of pilots to DAL, UAL, and SWA but very few make it to AA. Also just to be clear, all of this is my OPINION/the thought process I went through to draw my own conclusions. Hope it helps!

FullThrust
06-18-2019, 05:08 PM
Historically, the best time to come to an airline is when it’s “the worst time to come to an airline”.

At one point in time piñacolaba (I.e present day Endeavor) was the regional you absolutely did not want to be at.

How about during the AA bankruptcy? “No one should go to Eaglevoy”. If you came here during that time your seniority has risen at rates inconceivable in prior times.

Skywest? “Why go to Skywest? They are now one of the lowest paid, have no sign on bonus and no flow”. Now we have people saying “why wouldn’t you go to Skywest?”.

I can go on and on.

It’s lile the stock market. If you show up when “it’s the best time to come here” you are probably too late to the party.

I have no doubt envoy will get a pay package at some point in the nearish future. Once that happens, people will be showing up in droves again. And if you come here now you will be at the front of the wave.

The best way to navigate your career is to check your emotions at the door

YMMV

Varsity
06-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Historically, the best time to come to an airline is when it’s “the worst time to come to an airline”.

At one point in time piñacolaba (I.e present day Endeavor) was the regional you absolutely did not want to be at.

How about during the AA bankruptcy? “No one should go to Eaglevoy”. If you came here during that time your seniority has risen at rates inconceivable in prior times.

Skywest? “Why go to Skywest? They are now one of the lowest paid, have no sign on bonus and no flow”. Now we have people saying “why wouldn’t you go to Skywest?”.

I can go on and on.

It’s lile the stock market. If you show up when “it’s the best time to come here” you are probably too late to the party.

I have no doubt envoy will get a pay package at some point in the nearish future. Once that happens, people will be showing up in droves again. And if you come here now you will be at the front of the wave.

The best way to navigate your career is to check your emotions at the door

YMMV

What about comair after the strike?
Compass after the sale by delta?
ASA pre Skywest?
Expressjet after the Continental divesture?
Great Lakes at any point in history?
Shuttle America?
Eastern/Pan Am in the 80's?
TWA in the 90's?

An upswing is far from guaranteed in this industry, if not the exception. If anything dark news is a sign of circling the bowl.

highfarfast
06-18-2019, 05:48 PM
What about comair after the strike?
Compass after the sale by delta?
ASA pre Skywest?
Expressjet after the Continental divesture?
Great Lakes at any point in history?
Shuttle America?
Eastern/Pan Am in the 80's?
TWA in the 90's?

An upswing is far from guaranteed in this industry, if not the exception. If anything dark news is a sign of circling the bowl.

I was thinking the same thing when I read his post.

Really, if you want to time things out to give yourself the best shot at being ahead of an upswing, do this:

Have your apps out to every company out there. Interview with all who answers. Take the best offer you get right now. To those offers that come from the not so great places to go at that the moment, stall with every single one that comes. Don’t turn them down. Just put off your class date as long as you can with whatever excuse works. When one makes a game-changing announcement, all you have to do is accept the soonest class date available and be ahead of the hiring curve for that airline at that moment.

Did I do this? Not really. I lucked into being on the font side of a hiring curve. But with a little hindsight, it’s how I would have approached it.

FullThrust
06-18-2019, 05:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I read his post.

Really, if you want to time things out to give yourself the best shot at being ahead of an upswing, do this:

Have your apps out to every company out there. Interview with all who answers. Take the best offer you get right now. To those offers that come from the not so great places to go at that the moment, stall with every single one that comes. Don’t turn them down. Just put off your class date as long as you can with whatever excuse works. When one makes a game-changing announcement, all you have to do is accept the soonest class date available and be ahead of the hiring curve for that airline at that moment.

Did I do this? Not really. I lucked into being on the font side of a hiring curve. But with a little hindsight, it’s how I would have approached it.

So you are advocating going to one regional, the quickly leaving and going to another. Yeah that won’t look bad at all.

Also, for the negative examples posted, can we limit the time frame to after Swayne was out of diapers?

highfarfast
06-18-2019, 06:00 PM
So you are advocating going to one regional, the quickly leaving and going to another. Yeah that won’t look bad at all.

Also, for the negative examples posted, can we limit the time frame to after Swayne was out of diapers?

If you left one regional for another because you were racking up negative PRIAs, I agree. Leaving one for another because another was a better opportunity, that’s easy to explain and to back up.

dera
06-18-2019, 06:13 PM
If you left one regional for another because you were racking up negative PRIAs, I agree. Leaving one for another because another was a better opportunity, that’s easy to explain and to back up.

On the other hand, nothing screams “resignation in lieu of termination” louder than a lateral move while still on probation.
It’s easy to explain but you might never get the chance to do that.

highfarfast
06-18-2019, 06:16 PM
On the other hand, nothing screams “resignation in lieu of termination” louder than a lateral move while still on probation.
It’s easy to explain but you might never get the chance to do that.

Sure thing dera...

dera
06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Sure thing dera...

I bow to your infinite wisdom. I’m glad you know how recruiting sees your app.

highfarfast
06-18-2019, 06:26 PM
If you end employment with airline A on May 15th and begin employment with airline B on May 16th, it’s pretty obvious that you were not terminated.

But I understand why management wants us to be scared to do what’s in our best interest, dera.

highfarfast
06-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Sure thing dera...

buddies8
06-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Very seldom any terminations here, with the exception we all know. It's all resignations, aag wants no law suits.

MEGAFUPM
06-18-2019, 08:19 PM

Go back to your cubicle in the recruiting office.

Fit4Doody
06-18-2019, 09:14 PM
In 2016 this was the place to be. Totally different now.

It’s funny how quick the “places to be” come and go nowadays. In the past the “places to be” last at least 8-10 years. Now it’s about 2-3 years. Tide changes fast and it’s bitter sweet. All depends on when you hit the wave.

knewyork
06-18-2019, 09:39 PM

Lol what? I don’t work for envoy. Never have, and I was hired where I work some time before 2016. I’m on your side here. Do you not want better pay and QOL?

dera
06-18-2019, 09:45 PM

So you're saying I work for recruiting, but my comments about recruiting aren't valid.

You're a very confused person. It's funny how you think adding accounts and alter egos makes your points more valid.
Stick with the damn facts. The truth is bad enough at the moment.

MEGAFUPM
06-18-2019, 10:14 PM
So you're saying I work for recruiting, but my comments about recruiting aren't valid.

You're a very confused person. It's funny how you think adding accounts and alter egos makes your points more valid.
Stick with the damn facts. The truth is bad enough at the moment.

Lol what "alternate accounts" am I on. You're the one going back and forth between being on your knees for both management/recruitment and the union.

NoValueAviator
06-19-2019, 02:38 AM

Savage but satisfying to read. Judgment that poor, inexperience, weather and flying just don’t mix.

MD-11Loader
06-19-2019, 07:54 AM

Dera will soon be featured in a Swayne production. They will duel with their yellow cards on the walk around

tomgoodman
06-19-2019, 08:16 AM
Thread closed due to a pandemic of personal insults.