Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire Pay

apex7
06-18-2019, 01:57 PM
I'd like to know how others are able to live off new hire pay here at sun country? $48 an hour sounded good when I first signed on, but I quickly learnt there was no opportunity for earning over guarantee. I fly 25 hours a month if im lucky and most months get no per diem whatsoever. Brings me to clearing about $1200 a paycheck. Student loan monthly payments alone are just shy of $1000 so I get $1400 a month to pay for rent, food , bills , car etc.

I kid you not , I have friends who work at Walmart that earn more than me. I just took out a personal loan to help me get by for this month, but its unsustainable so I am looking for other ways to make money?:confused::(

beech1980
06-18-2019, 04:20 PM
I'd like to know how others are able to live off new hire pay here at sun country? $48 an hour sounded good when I first signed on, but I quickly learnt there was no opportunity for earning over guarantee. I fly 25 hours a month if im lucky and most months get no per diem whatsoever. Brings me to clearing about $1200 a paycheck. Student loan monthly payments alone are just shy of $1000 so I get $1400 a month to pay for rent, food , bills , car etc.

I kid you not , I have friends who work at Walmart that earn more than me. I just took out a personal loan to help me get by for this month, but its unsustainable so I am looking for other ways to make money?:confused::(

When I started it was 30/hr. It was difficult but you have to manage it. Itís best to know the contract you fly under before taking the job. Flying a 737 is appealing but if it doesnít pay your bills then itís not worth it. I have a wife that makes good money and we new we could get by. Most of us started flying at regionals that paid 20/hr. Itís a long road. Good luck.

kingairfun
06-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Get your student loan reduced.. I believe most loan companies will let you defer/reduce payments or pay interest only for a length of time..(may have been a year, it's been awhile since I had student loans)

I know it's crazy, but go to a flip phone to save $$ (it's actually liberating to be detached from a smart phone even for a short while), eliminate cable tv and use only internet.

As Beech1980 said, there is a large group of pilots who had to do the same thing with half of what your hourly rate is... (granted it was when flip phones were the rage) It can be done, and hopefully it's a short period of struggle for you, given the positive trends of the current industry.

Excargodog
06-18-2019, 08:55 PM
Newbies get screwed because the pilot group already done with probation is unwilling to give up a damn thing to negotiate decent first year pay. And itís always, ď...well when I was a newbie we had to push back the jet by hand, all by ourselves, and we only made a buck twenty an hour.

The pilot group already aboard doesnít treat the newbies a damn bit better than they complain that management treats them, and thatís the way the system works. I get it. What I donít get is how a pilot group that lets this happen to their newbies considers them one tiny bit morally superior to the management people screwing over the pilot group as a whole.

tolipenalpria
06-18-2019, 09:24 PM
take your type and run!! no new hires, no upgrades, no new bases, no new shiny jets, no pay raise, no descent schedules...you get the idea. Lots of regionals that pay more and offer upgrades and a chance at a real airline. sad to say.

BIGRIG
06-19-2019, 03:28 AM
Newbies get screwed because the pilot group already done with probation is unwilling to give up a damn thing to negotiate decent first year pay. And itís always, ď...well when I was a newbie we had to push back the jet by hand, all by ourselves, and we only made a buck twenty an hour.

The pilot group already aboard doesnít treat the newbies a damn bit better than they complain that management treats them, and thatís the way the system works. I get it. What I donít get is how a pilot group that lets this happen to their newbies considers them one tiny bit morally superior to the management people screwing over the pilot group as a whole.
New hires got almost a 50% raise when the new contract got signed a few years back. We all thought that we were helping out the junior guys. Like Beech1980 said, it was $30/hr. Itís not some war story ďI had it harder than you.Ē Itís the fact that New hire pay went up $18/hr and we thought that was a big gain for our new guys. And there is nothing in the contract saying that the company canít raise first year pay unilaterally.

Excargodog
06-19-2019, 06:52 AM
New hires got almost a 50% raise when the new contract got signed a few years back. We all thought that we were helping out the junior guys. Like Beech1980 said, it was $30/hr. It’s not some war story “I had it harder than you.” It’s the fact that New hire pay went up $18/hr and we thought that was a big gain for our new guys. And there is nothing in the contract saying that the company can’t raise first year pay unilaterally.

It’s always management’s fault because “...there is nothing in the contract saying that the company can’t raise first year pay unilaterally,”

GMAFB! I doubt seriously if there is anything in the contract that says that management can’t raise ANY of your payscales unilaterally. Do they do that real often? No, I didn’t think so. So cut the BS. You can’t blame this just on management.

Newbie payscales suck because THE REST OF THE PILOT GROUP isn’t willing to spend a nickel of THEIR negotiating capital on the quality of life of the newbies.

Bad enough your new hires have got to cover their own housing costs during training, which even the lowliest of the regionals are doing these days, but they are doing that at little more than first year regional payscales, less than that when you consider the better work rules and per diem at most regionals. Oh yeah, and new hire BONUSES.

Worse still that their fellow pilots don’t care enough about their future colleagues for them to fight for these things or them. Not the way to build solidarity in the pilot group.

I agree with the previous poster. The only reason to come here would be to get a type rating and run.

Onedayatatimee
06-19-2019, 09:42 AM
New hires got almost a 50% raise when the new contract got signed a few years back. We all thought that we were helping out the junior guys. Like Beech1980 said, it was $30/hr. Itís not some war story ďI had it harder than you.Ē Itís the fact that New hire pay went up $18/hr and we thought that was a big gain for our new guys. And there is nothing in the contract saying that the company canít raise first year pay unilaterally.

Correct me if Iím wrong new hire 1st yr pay was raised from $30hr to $40hr by management just prior to the new contact. The new contract brought the pay up for 1st year from $40 to $48/hr.

BIGRIG
06-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Itís always managementís fault because ď...there is nothing in the contract saying that the company canít raise first year pay unilaterally,Ē

GMAFB! I doubt seriously if there is anything in the contract that says that management canít raise ANY of your payscales unilaterally. Do they do that real often? No, I didnít think so. So cut the BS. You canít blame this just on management.

Newbie payscales suck because THE REST OF THE PILOT GROUP isnít willing to spend a nickel of THEIR negotiating capital on the quality of life of the newbies.

Bad enough your new hires have got to cover their own housing costs during training, which even the lowliest of the regionals are doing these days, but they are doing that at little more than first year regional payscales, less than that when you consider the better work rules and per diem at most regionals. Oh yeah, and new hire BONUSES.

Worse still that their fellow pilots donít care enough about their future colleagues for them to fight for these things or them. Not the way to build solidarity in the pilot group.

I agree with the previous poster. The only reason to come here would be to get a type rating and run.

Hahahahaha. Sun Country Management did raise first year pay prior to the new contract. Iím gonna give you a golf clap for being a complete fool. And they are not allowed to raise the rest of the pay rates unilaterally. They canít just pay second year FOs more. Or 12 year captains more. They canít even raise years 1-8 on the captain and FO side unilaterally. They are however allowed to raise first year rates unilaterally. And when everybody last got a pay raise, first year was raised $18. More than 50%. How exactly should the pilot group raise first year pay outside of negotiations?

Excargodog
06-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Hahahahaha. Sun Country Management did raise first year pay prior to the new contract. Iím gonna give you a golf clap for being a complete fool. And they are not allowed to raise the rest of the pay rates unilaterally. They canít just pay second year FOs more. Or 12 year captains more. They canít even raise years 1-8 on the captain and FO side unilaterally. They are however allowed to raise first year rates unilaterally. And when everybody last got a pay raise, first year was raised $18. More than 50%. How exactly should the pilot group raise first year pay outside of negotiations?

How much effort have they put in WITHIN negotiations? Obviously not much if you are well below regional airline payscales for new hires, AND YOU ARE.

Alternatively, if you really DID make the effort, and current rates and training quarters and pay actually WAS the best you could do, what self respecting newbie would WANT to join your group?

BIGRIG
06-19-2019, 06:46 PM
How much effort have they put in WITHIN negotiations? Obviously not much if you are well below regional airline payscales for new hires, AND YOU ARE.

Alternatively, if you really DID make the effort, and current rates and training quarters and pay actually WAS the best you could do, what self respecting newbie would WANT to join your group?
We werenít at the time the contract was signed. And apparently you are too good to join. Move along.

Excargodog
06-19-2019, 08:23 PM
We weren’t at the time the contract was signed. And apparently you are too good to join. Move along.

Even the worst of the regionals paid for housing during training. Even back then. It might have been two to a room (at least for Skywest) but at least they paid.

But OK, that was then and this is now. What is your CURRENT ask to management for the new hires? Are you going to insist that the company pays for housing during training? Or that they get bonuses?
Currently Air Whiskey is giving their newbies a $57K SIGNING BONUS

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/air_wisconsin

Which ALL BY ITSELF is more than your first year pay. So are you as a pilot group going to hold out for your newbies to get training housing and a decent bonus, rather than just the pi$$-poor first year pay?

Because, yeah, if you aren’t going to at least See that your new hires get a decent start, you’ll find a lot of people will move along because they’ll believe they are too good to join you. They’ll be right too.

And don’t complain if your management treats you like dirt if you don’t treat your own junior pilots any better.

ShyGuy
06-19-2019, 09:49 PM
Even the worst of the regionals paid for housing during training. Even back then.

Back then (which wasn't even that long ago) my regional didn't even pay during training, much less provide housing.

BobZ
06-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Delta never paid for housing.

LopezD
06-19-2019, 10:10 PM

What’s there first year pay again? :rolleyes:

BobZ
06-19-2019, 10:17 PM
Much improved in the last 10 years or so. Inflation adjusted it was about the rates being complained about here.

Changes came as a result of those of us who endured things like no housing.....along with no jumpseat. Ever. And no pass travel for first 6 months.

If one hadnt saved a chunk or had a spouse with a good job surviving on year 1 pay was not doable. Me and a whole bunch of othes went out and got 2nd jobs.

It sucked. But if the pilots on property dont do anything it wont improve.

labbats
06-20-2019, 05:19 AM
Sun Country has been and likely always will be a ďjust happy to be hereĒ crowd.

I wouldnít expect any improvements to conditions if that continues.

Excargodog
06-20-2019, 06:30 AM

You ain't Delta.

Excargodog
06-20-2019, 06:40 AM
Much improved in the last 10 years or so. Inflation adjusted it was about the rates being complained about here.

Changes came as a result of those of us who endured things like no housing.....along with no jumpseat. Ever. And no pass travel for first 6 months.

If one hadnt saved a chunk or had a spouse with a good job surviving on year 1 pay was not doable. Me and a whole bunch of othes went out and got 2nd jobs.

It sucked. But if the pilots on property dont do anything it wont improve.

Absolutely correct. The pilot group as a whole needs to stop considering this some sort of rite of passage or fraternity initiation. Otherwise they should expect no more solidarity from their junior people than they themselves have shown them.

Why would they care about - for instance - pensions? They are thirty plus years from retirement. And Sunny may not even last that long. Maybe they should vote for only packages with high FO wages so they can get the most they can while they are building a resume to get them to a legacy? And screw the old [email protected], because the old [email protected] certainly didnít take care of them.

Is that the sort of camaraderie and unity you want in a pilot group? Because thatís the kind you are asking for with this first year pay.

smellson
06-20-2019, 06:52 AM
Absolutely correct. The pilot group as a whole needs to stop considering this some sort of rite of passage or fraternity initiation. Otherwise they should expect no more solidarity from their junior people than they themselves have shown them.

Why would they care about - for instance - pensions? They are thirty plus years from retirement. And Sunny may not even last that long. Maybe they should vote for only packages with high FO wages so they can get the most they can while they are building a resume to get them to a legacy? And screw the old [email protected], because the old [email protected] certainly didnít take care of them.

Is that the sort of camaraderie and unity you want in a pilot group? Because thatís the kind you are asking for with this first year pay.

Lol. You sure do have a lot of beef with the first year pay. Did you not know what it was when you accepted the job? Sounds like first yr pay went up 50% on the last contract. I'm assuming that's larger than any other years increase. Every airlines first yr pay is significantly less than second and it doesn't look like Sunny's is out of line considering all their other rates. I don't work for sunny anymore, but to say all the senior dudes/dudettes are throwing the new people under the bus is a bit of a stretch. I don't think many people at sunny in general expect/demand what other 737 operaters do. Sunny is what it is....a place to make an ok living with an ok quality of life.

Excargodog
06-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Lol. You sure do have a lot of beef with the first year pay. Did you not know what it was when you accepted the job?

Au contraire. It’s why I, like many others, am not even APPLYING for the job. I’m glad you found it an “OK place to make a living with an OK quality of life,” but the marketplace has changed. A guy with 1500 hrs TT can make $50 an hour as a newbie at regionals today, with a signing bonus, and yes, have housing during training and then have better working rules afterwards. That’s TODAYS reality. And Sunny either needs to adjust to it, or you are going to wind up with right seats populated by guys/gals with a grand total of 1500 hrs, mostly CFI time in Cessna 152s with 25 hours in light twins. Good luck with that.

Starchkr
06-20-2019, 08:32 AM
Au contraire. Itís why I, like many others, am not even APPLYING for the job. Iím glad you found it an ďOK place to make a living with an OK quality of life,Ē but the marketplace has changed. A guy with 1500 hrs TT can make $50 an hour as a newbie at regionals today, with a signing bonus, and yes, have housing during training and then have better working rules afterwards. Thatís TODAYS reality. And Sunny either needs to adjust to it, or you are going to wind up with right seats populated by guys/gals with a grand total of 1500 hrs, mostly CFI time in Cessna 152s with 25 hours in light twins. Good luck with that.

Because SY has only had MSP for a domicile since the beginning, paying for hotels during training just wasnít going to be a priority IMO. Most people that go there wouldnít go there for the money, theyíd go for the MSP domicile and the ok long term pay.

Iím not sure what all of the frustration is about. If there are better offers, go take them. Regionals are paying hiring bonuses but after the first year it sucks. At SY, the first year pay blows but after that itís ok. Sure itís way below industry standard for a 737 operator but if you really want to fly the kind of trips they fly and have MSP for a domicile then maybe it could work for you. Otherwise go somewhere else! The market is still hot.

For the vast majority of pilots SY is a no go. Perhaps their management will have a crisis trying to recruit and theyíll eventually have to raise the bar. Until then I wouldnít expect existing SY pilots to make first year pay a priority because attracting applicants only makes it harder for them to justify better work rules and compensation during contract negotiations.

My guess is that if things continue as is, SY will have flocks of FOís with relatively fresh 737 type ratings leaving for more stable, higher paying airlines. Attrition has slowed temporarily there but IMO unless something changes for the better in a significant way, attrition will go right back up.

BIGRIG
06-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Au contraire. Itís why I, like many others, am not even APPLYING for the job. Iím glad you found it an ďOK place to make a living with an OK quality of life,Ē but the marketplace has changed. A guy with 1500 hrs TT can make $50 an hour as a newbie at regionals today, with a signing bonus, and yes, have housing during training and then have better working rules afterwards. Thatís TODAYS reality. And Sunny either needs to adjust to it, or you are going to wind up with right seats populated by guys/gals with a grand total of 1500 hrs, mostly CFI time in Cessna 152s with 25 hours in light twins. Good luck with that.
Hear that everybody!? ExCargoDog isnít going to apply!!! Might as well shut the airline down. His expertise will be sorely missed.

TruNorth
06-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Hear that everybody!? ExCargoDog isnít going to apply!!! Might as well shut the airline down. His expertise will be sorely missed.

He's not the only one. I think I'd be a good fit and have a ton of respect for the Sunny pilot group.

I actually think the first year pay was a decent rate for the time the contract was signed even if it's fell behind the times now. Hoping for good things for you guys all around in the new contract.

But it's a 40k/year pay cut from my regional captain job. It's at least year 3 FO to break even. I want out of my current gig and MSP is a huge draw for me but the math just literally doesn't work for year one. I don't mind some pay cut but I don't want to have to sell my house...

smellson
06-20-2019, 11:20 AM

You don't work there then stop acting like the current guys are throwing all the new hires under the bus. You don't have a clue. It sounds like you want to work there but don't because of the pay.... Delta's hiring and they also have a MSP base....

BIGRIG
06-20-2019, 12:20 PM
He's not the only one. I think I'd be a good fit and have a ton of respect for the Sunny pilot group.

I actually think the first year pay was a decent rate for the time the contract was signed even if it's fell behind the times now. Hoping for good things for you guys all around in the new contract.

But it's a 40k/year pay cut from my regional captain job. It's at least year 3 FO to break even. I want out of my current gig and MSP is a huge draw for me but the math just literally doesn't work for year one. I don't mind some pay cut but I don't want to have to sell my house...

Nobody there really cares. Do what you think is best for you. There are 300 pilots at Sun Country now that are ready to fight for a new contract.

Beechnutz
06-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Mark my word when we get our new contact you will need similar credentials to get hired here as you would to get hired at any of the big dogs.

fivebyfive
06-20-2019, 06:51 PM
Mark my word when we get our new contact you will need similar credentials to get hired here as you would to get hired at any of the big dogs.

Your current contract was voted in with an 87% yes vote in 2015. Oddly, your MEC chairman called it a victory that brings you economic respectability amongst your peers.
Understanding that, Apollo is going to give you an upgrade from 40% below industry average to 35% below industry average and you will like it.
Too bad because you seem like a good pilot group. The only thing lacking is a little self worth.

beech1980
06-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Your current contract was voted in with an 87% yes vote in 2015. Oddly, your MEC chairman called it a victory that brings you economic respectability amongst your peers.
Understanding that, Apollo is going to give you an upgrade from 40% below industry average to 35% below industry average and you will like it.
Too bad because you seem like a good pilot group. The only thing lacking is a little self worth.

I agree. Iím sure the next contract will be close to industry average when it happens, but like we sit currently we will be well far back in a couple years. This airline has all the potential in the world we just never seem to get ownership to throw in all the marbles to make it one.

nibake
06-25-2019, 11:43 AM

I'm sure there will be rotten tomatoes for saying this, but that probably will become the reality. Regionals are taking in the dregs of experience right now, what keeps SY from stooping to that level? Some of the low experience youngins are very sharp and will probably do fine. I was that guy when I got into 121 and things went great for me. As it were, my tailwheel, aerobatics, and crop dusting experience didn't help me out much, but my ability to study and learn did.

Is there something particular about SY that makes it so much harder than a regional? If not, what keeps management from keeping pay low as long as it is still possible to hire people and get them training and qualified? Honest questions.

UNDGUY
06-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Does first year pay go up 10% in November? If it does, that puts first year pay at 53 an hour if my math is correct. It's still lower than Spirit, Allegiant, and Frontier, but it's in the ballpark. Also, Sun Country will probably have a new contract before any of those three. That should at least bring them even with the others mentioned for first year pay.

Excargodog
06-28-2019, 01:41 PM
. Also, Sun Country will probably have a new contract before any of those three. That should at least bring them even with the others mentioned for first year pay.

Wish in one hand....

https://youtu.be/RV-p51fvYLc

tolipenalpria
06-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Does first year pay go up 10% in November?

Negative ghost rider.
1st- $48
2nd- $82.29
3rd- $87.22
4th- $92.46
Just keep adding 5... and don't ask about CA pay, you won't be upgrading anytime soon anyway.

UNDGUY
06-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Everyone gets raises except first year? I'm with Excargodog now. That is a bunch of BS. Still better than Miami Air though. I'm not actually considering Sunny. I'm just bored on an overnight wasting my life away on APC. Cheers!

apex7
06-28-2019, 03:55 PM
I was told 6 months to be off reserve and 18 months to upgrade. Bunch of BS lies. Those recruiters in the interview should be liable for lying to us like that.:mad:

And here they are still offering unpaid leaves for first officers but we get called every damn day now on reserve, FO Will Flys, CA Will Fly's. WTF is going on , it seems like they desperately need more captains atleast.

tolipenalpria
06-28-2019, 04:25 PM
they are getting 100% completion factor and we get a $25 thank you each quarter, someone is doing something right...but i don't think any of them are pilots.

Frankie Avalon
06-28-2019, 08:35 PM
I was told 6 months to be off reserve and 18 months to upgrade. Bunch of BS lies. Those recruiters in the interview should be liable for lying to us like that.:mad:

And here they are still offering unpaid leaves for first officers but we get called every damn day now on reserve, FO Will Flys, CA Will Fly's. WTF is going on , it seems like they desperately need more captains atleast.

I know guys who were told 3-4 months and are coming up on a year. The hiring freeze is really darkening their outlooks. I don't even know how the commuters do it. I'd be gone.

nibake
06-29-2019, 08:03 AM
Mildly related to new hire pay:

What is the company's stance on doing other jobs flying or non-flying to supplement income?

Noisy1
07-02-2019, 04:45 AM
Prohibited by the FOM, but everyone has a side-job, hobby farm, concrete business, flooring installer, property developer, contractor, house flipper side gig of some sort going on. At least all the senior guys do. The junior guys haven't been furloughed for long enough to have had to build those things up to protect themselves from this seasonal hell hole.

akas
01-02-2020, 01:18 PM
New Hire pay increased to $52/hr

Braniff DC8
01-03-2020, 07:05 AM
ANYTHING, is better than Miami Air!

apex7
01-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Thanks Jude :rolleyes:

Cujo665
01-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Wow, so Regional guys still make more first year, upgrade at 121 mins, and in three cases flow to AA without interview or anything else in 6 years if they aren't grabbed elsewhere first.

with you guys getting this new Amazon flying, it should be interesting how long before the wages come up to industry.

senecacaptain
01-03-2020, 04:55 PM
Wow, so Regional guys still make more first year, upgrade at 121 mins, and in three cases flow to AA without interview or anything else in 6 years if they aren't grabbed elsewhere first.

with you guys getting this new Amazon flying, it should be interesting how long before the wages come up to industry.

Just an outsider reading some threads, but this kind of intrigues me. What is the theory on Sun Country versus Regionals if "final target" is Big-3 ? Both give you 121 jet time. One gives you a 737 type and experience in the airplane.

Sun Country pay at Year-3 is far greater than Regional Pay at year-3.

thoughts ?

maverickchill
01-03-2020, 07:37 PM

Meanwhile at real airlines first year has been as follows for the last few years...
Spirit 58
Frontier 59
Southwest 82
Jet Blue 88
American 90
United 91
Delta 92
Alaska 93

Still behind, as always, Mr. Jude.

Starchkr
01-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Just an outsider reading some threads, but this kind of intrigues me. What is the theory on Sun Country versus Regionals if "final target" is Big-3 ? Both give you 121 jet time. One gives you a 737 type and experience in the airplane.

Sun Country pay at Year-3 is far greater than Regional Pay at year-3.

thoughts ?

If I was I young guy Iíd shoot for a regional with a domicile I want and with a flow to a legacy.

If you live in MSP then Iíd consider SY but if a new base opens up you might be commuting for awhile anyway. It seems to me SY is higher risk but might work for some.

mkitrn
01-04-2020, 05:16 AM
If I was I young guy Iíd shoot for a regional with a domicile I want and with a flow to a legacy.

If you live in MSP then Iíd consider SY but if a new base opens up you might be commuting for awhile anyway. It seems to me SY is higher risk but might work for some.

Is pdx still the most rumored new base?

Excargodog
01-04-2020, 05:36 AM

Seriously, at $52 an hour Sunny DESERVES to have everybody use them only for a type rating to enhance their resumes to move to SWA immediately after consolidation.

3rdGen
01-04-2020, 06:04 AM
Is pdx still the most rumored new base?

Negative. PDX is dead.

apex7
01-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Meanwhile at real airlines first year has been as follows for the last few years...
Spirit 58
Frontier 59
Southwest 82
Jet Blue 88
American 90
United 91
Delta 92
Alaska 93

Not to mention, you will NEVER go over guarantee on first year pay here. Reserve times are over a year right now, so the ability to even pick anything up to make some extra $ is impossible. At least at these other airlines or even the regionals you will get paid above guarantee in most cases.

They increased pay by $4 per hour for new hires. Thats a whopping extra $300 per month. Expect a take home paycheck of $1300-$1400 every 2 weeks.

Most first year FO's work Uber or Door Dash to keep food on the table.:(

Starchkr
01-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Not to mention, you will NEVER go over guarantee on first year pay here. Reserve times are over a year right now, so the ability to even pick anything up to make some extra $ is impossible. At least at these other airlines or even the regionals you will get paid above guarantee in most cases.

They increased pay by $4 per hour for new hires. Thats a whopping extra $300 per month. Expect a take home paycheck of $1300-$1400 every 2 weeks.

Most first year FO's work Uber or Door Dash to keep food on the table.:(

Also worth mentioning, recently most reserve flying has been day trips which means no per diem. I flew right up to guarantee and earned exactly zero in per diem last month.

beech1980
01-04-2020, 03:18 PM
Also worth mentioning, recently most reserve flying has been day trips which means no per diem. I flew right up to guarantee and earned exactly zero in per diem last month.

That is Judes plan to a T. Keeps his costs to as little as possible. Fly you to 70 and bench you. No hotel costs, no per diem, and as little offline DHís as possible unless itís a charter and they are paying for it.

DSRoss996
01-05-2020, 11:16 AM
That is Judes plan to a T. Keeps his costs to as little as possible. Fly you to 70 and bench you. No hotel costs, no per diem, and as little offline DHís as possible unless itís a charter and they are paying for it.

I dk if that is exactly ďJudeís Plan.Ē Itís been that way here since before he came onboard....

01-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Spirit 58
Frontier 59
Southwest 82
Jet Blue 88
American 90
United 91
Delta 92
Alaska 93

Donít forget HAL at $36/hr and no hotel during initial.

beech1980
01-11-2020, 03:29 PM
Donít forget HAL at $36/hr and no hotel during initial.

You donít break $100/hour until year six as an FO. All those other carriers you do in year two.

DoNoHarm
01-12-2020, 08:03 AM
You donít break $100/hour until year six as an FO. All those other carriers you do in year two.

Year 2 pay:

Spirit 107
Frontier 108
Southwest 122
Jet Blue 120
American 137
United 140
Delta 136
Alaska 130
SunCountry 82

TangoIndiaMike1
01-12-2020, 08:18 PM
Year 2 pay:

Spirit 107

Frontier 108

Southwest 122

Jet Blue 120

American 137

United 140

Delta 136

Alaska 130

SunCountry 82

Add Republic Airways at $92 on the captain side which you can upgrade in that short amount of time. $95 year 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vernon Demerest
01-12-2020, 11:14 PM
United has 1st year pilots training on the 777 now so they will be at 175/HR year 2.

redrover
01-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Been watching this thread since my discovery might in the spring of 17. been freight dog to hours build and am close to 1500. The goal is to work at Sunny live in base no desire to leave. Heard the pilot recruiter is hard to deal with but will kiss his ass if need 4th grade teacher 1st career. Have interest in anything in MSP been hours building south for the wx but want to get home. Does sunny hire right at ATP mins. dont need lodging for training just need to know if I have to go to SW. They are jr in Minny .Any sdive on where I could gt a call in terms of hours? is 1500 enough mostly ME Turbine PIC 1000ish

EhV8R
01-16-2020, 09:22 PM
Been watching this thread since my discovery might in the spring of 17. been freight dog to hours build and am close to 1500. The goal is to work at Sunny live in base no desire to leave. Heard the pilot recruiter is hard to deal with but will kiss his ass if need 4th grade teacher 1st career. Have interest in anything in MSP been hours building south for the wx but want to get home. Does sunny hire right at ATP mins. dont need lodging for training just need to know if I have to go to SW. They are jr in Minny .Any sdive on where I could gt a call in terms of hours? is 1500 enough mostly ME Turbine PIC 1000ishWut...?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Starchkr
01-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Been watching this thread since my discovery might in the spring of 17. been freight dog to hours build and am close to 1500. The goal is to work at Sunny live in base no desire to leave. Heard the pilot recruiter is hard to deal with but will kiss his ass if need 4th grade teacher 1st career. Have interest in anything in MSP been hours building south for the wx but want to get home. Does sunny hire right at ATP mins. dont need lodging for training just need to know if I have to go to SW. They are jr in Minny .Any sdive on where I could gt a call in terms of hours? is 1500 enough mostly ME Turbine PIC 1000ish

Better get off the sauce before you try interviewing. Yikes!

beech1980
01-17-2020, 08:04 AM
please stay away. You sound retarded.

nibake
01-17-2020, 07:19 PM
SW is junior in Minni? Do you know something about SW having a base in Minni that we don't know?

MinFlyer
01-18-2020, 03:38 AM
SW is junior in Minni? Do you know something about SW having a base in Minni that we don't know?
I'm guessing he means Skywest?

nibake
01-27-2020, 08:44 AM
Since we are talking about payscales of other national carriers here, is there anywhere to find estimates of upgrade times at all these places? That's a big factor to consider when thinking about the payscales.

RJSCUM
01-29-2020, 09:49 PM
Better get off the sauce before you try interviewing. Yikes!

If youíre on APC and not Hemingway level drunk you are not living your best life.

Air Stang 7
02-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Well if Sunny doesn't work out, I'd definitely say you have a future at SkyWest.

VIRotate
02-03-2020, 03:10 AM
Well if Sunny doesn't work out, I'd definitely say you have a future at SkyWest.

With that level of mastery of the English language, I'd say Mesa is a good fit.