Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

TheFly
07-01-2019, 01:22 PM
https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-airlines-announces-its-final-md-80-flights/

American Airlines has announced the retirement plans for its McDonnell-Douglas MD-80 fleet, signaling the end of an era at the carrier.

On Sept. 3 and 4, American’s 26 remaining MD-80s will all conduct their final flights.

https://i0.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Screen-Shot-2019-06-25-at-10.41.31-AM.png?fit=2048%2C2048px&quality=1#038;ssl=1

The schedule of American Airline’s last revenue MD-80 flights. (Courtesy of American Airlines)
The very last one, Flight 80 from Dallas/Fort Worth to Chicago O’Hare, will land in the Windy City around 11:30am on Sept. 4, before joining its sister aircraft in Roswell, New Mexico. (A note to our readers: that flight appears to be sold out.)

“The MD-80, also known as the Super 80, was the workhorse of the airline’s fleet throughout the 1980s and beyond, providing customers and team members with heartfelt memories on adventures ranging from family vacations to key business trips,” the airline said in its press release.

As planes get more efficient though, the MD-80 is being replaced by jets that burn less fuel and have new amenities, making them cheaper for airlines to operate and more appealing for passengers to fly on. American has also been working on standardizing its fleet.

Stay tuned to TPG for our coverage of the fleet’s retirement.

Featured photo by Etienne DE MALGLAIVE/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images

TheFly
07-01-2019, 01:23 PM
The Mad Dog, the shady 80, DC nineosaur-83...

RIP.

1Taco
07-01-2019, 01:46 PM
The original fly by wire. ;)

aa73
07-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Best and most fun flying I’ve ever done in my career. She always kept me safe and humble. So long Super 80, yes they always made fun of your name but we both know it was well earned and well deserved. Thanks for the fun 4500 hrs!

Half rate, Flaps up, Climb Power to eternity

Al Czervik
07-01-2019, 04:50 PM
I saw a flight case with two stickers, an 80 and 737. I thought if that is that guy’s career I feel horrible for him. I only wish the 80 would take the POS 737 with it to the desert.

ORDinary
07-01-2019, 06:12 PM
I saw a flight case with two stickers, an 80 and 737. I thought if that is that guy’s career I feel horrible for him. I only wish the 80 would take the POS 737 with it to the desert.

I read a hundred posts from one pilot about a plane he doesn't like. If this is what he thinks about so often I feel horrible for him. I hope his therapy begins to show some progress soon.

Name User
07-01-2019, 06:31 PM
You are always doing something on that plane. I enjoy actually flipping switches, knobs, levers, you know the stuff we got into flying to do. I haven't flown an approach/landing with autopilot or auto throttle in months. Have even had no GPS and done VORs a handful of times. Ok that sucked.

But, I wouldn't want to be on it my whole career. Way too hot and miserable in the summer. The Airbus is a retirement jet...Boeing needs to get their act together, the Airbus blows the Boeings away ergonomically.

SoFloFlyer
07-01-2019, 06:45 PM
You are always doing something on that plane. I enjoy actually flipping switches, knobs, levers, you know the stuff we got into flying to do. I haven't flown an approach/landing with autopilot or auto throttle in months. Have even had no GPS and done VORs a handful of times. Ok that sucked.

But, I wouldn't want to be on it my whole career. Way too hot and miserable in the summer. The Airbus is a retirement jet...Boeing needs to get their act together, the Airbus blows the Boeings away ergonomically.

Weren’t Airbuses giving off the toxic fumes (wet sock smell)?

Name User
07-01-2019, 07:16 PM
There were some episodes in the 767s as well.

But the Airbus does seem to get the bulk of the "incidents".

Al Czervik
07-02-2019, 02:16 AM
I read a hundred posts from one pilot about a plane he doesn't like. If this is what he thinks about so often I feel horrible for him. I hope his therapy begins to show some progress soon.

If it’s the 73 he’s talking about....Sounds like this wise pilot discovered the truth without needing therapy!

aa73
07-02-2019, 05:39 AM
Al ya really need to give it a rest bro.. or get a hobby. You’re starting to sound possessed... You’ve got some serious 737DS

Al Czervik
07-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Al ya really need to give it a rest bro.. or get a hobby. You’re starting to sound possessed... You’ve got some serious 737DS

The only thing I like more than 73 trash talk is spooling up the 737 fanboys.

aa73
07-02-2019, 07:35 AM
737 fan boy, far from it... I just fly what gives me the best seniority and make the best of it... 737 has treated me great for the past 6 years... As did the Super 80 for 7

Just weird how you never miss an opportunity to slam it every time an aircraft thread pops up... dude.

captjns
07-02-2019, 08:37 AM
737 fan boy, far from it... I just fly what gives me the best seniority and make the best of it... 737 has treated me great for the past 6 years... As did the Super 80 for 7

Just weird how you never miss an opportunity to slam it every time an aircraft thread pops up... dude.

All airplanes fly great... its that some fly greater than others... like the good old trusty 727;). A sad day when that production line was shut down:(

My time on the 80 is limited... but found it’s design, with the exception of the hydraulics system to be almost bullet proof.. and a nice jet to hand fly. The GCP??? A Rube Goldberg design.

Just out of curiosity... is the retirement because the simulators were not revised to include EET?

Name User
07-02-2019, 09:30 AM
The S80 burns more gas than a 321 and hauls 50 less people. Revenue wise it just doesn't make sense, even at their almost free cost.

NWA used them as an accumulator fleet, as times were good they'd spool them up and when times were not so great they would park them and take capacity off the line. The NWA/DAL merger and gas prices put a stop to that.

The S80 is fairly reliable and easily fixed but they are breaking a lot. Being a mechanical aircraft, the MTBF of parts is high, as an example MTBF of a standby attitude indicator is roughly 1500 hours, of an electronic one its 10,000+. With everything on that airplane connected by cables, literally, from fuel control to thrust levers, flight controls, flaps, etc things just break more often. You can walk into one right now, and find a dozen things wrong but are ignored. I honestly can't say that about the Airbus, can you?

It's time, the airplane is worn out.

On a side note, why even in February are the 737's so hot in back? It's horrible. Doesn't matter what the temp is outside, it's just ALWAYS hot until you get up to altitude. There is very little airflow from the vents at all. What a POS.

ORDinary
07-02-2019, 01:03 PM
The only thing I like more than 73 trash talk is spooling up the 737 fanboys.

I've never seen a 737 fanboy on these boards, just people who don't really care what they fly. You, however, are obsessed, and always spooled up about them.

Al Czervik
07-02-2019, 05:02 PM
I've never seen a 737 fanboy on these boards, just people who don't really care what they fly. You, however, are obsessed, and always spooled up about them.

Far from obsessed but, fair enough. I’m just tired of flying a POS. Hoping the 787 is more my speed.

aa73
07-02-2019, 06:16 PM
You will love the 787.

And I’ll probably retire on the 737... can’t do the long haul stuff.

450knotOffice
07-02-2019, 10:20 PM
...I’ll probably retire on the 737...

Nahhh...

You will be assimilated...
Resistance is futile...

;):D

aa73
07-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Nahhh...

You will be assimilated...
Resistance is futile...

;):D

Je dois dire Retard...Retard... avec un accent Francais!

450knotOffice
07-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Lol! Well, actually it’s in an English accent. The Queen’s English too, so he’ll be a snob while insulting you. 😉

Arado 234
07-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Let's not forget the smooth sound the 73 makes when the A/P disconnects...

OKLATEX
07-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Well, I’ll say it; I’ll miss the Super 80s.

Sad to see the last legacy of the old AA go away with the polished aluminum. Also sad to see the last piece of TWA disappears. Sad to see Douglas airplanes go away.

I’ll also miss hearing the Super 80s on their takeoff roll.:p

Dobbs18
07-03-2019, 05:07 PM
On a side note, why even in February are the 737's so hot in back? It's horrible. Doesn't matter what the temp is outside, it's just ALWAYS hot until you get up to altitude. There is very little airflow from the vents at all. What a POS.
Yes! this a 1000 times!!! nothing worse then being in the back of a packed out plane hot as hell.

havick206
07-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Loved the 80’s from a passenger perspective.

450knotOffice
07-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Loved the 80’s from a passenger perspective.

They’re fine as long as one is on the left side of the cabin, and NOT aim the veery back next to the engines. HORRIBLE back there.

TransWorld
07-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Yep, 20% middle seats in coach is better than 33% middle seats in coach.

There are other underseat space advantages.

aa73
07-03-2019, 08:26 PM

That’s the sound of non-computerized true piloting awesomeness about to begin! :D

ShyGuy
07-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Weren’t Airbuses giving off the toxic fumes (wet sock smell)?

I once had a sock smell in an Airbus.

The CA had taken his shoes off :eek:

ShyGuy
07-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Nothing beats the E170/5 AP disconnect noise. The Brazilian lady, “Autopilot..... autopilot....”

Abt least I assume she’s Brazilian, don’t ruin it for me :D

tomgoodman
07-04-2019, 04:37 AM
I once had a sock smell in an Airbus.

The CA had taken his shoes off :eek:

Your CAs wore shoes & socks?! Even our senior guys only had moccasins. :p

dera
07-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Nothing beats the E170/5 AP disconnect noise. The Brazilian lady, “Autopilot..... autopilot....”

Abt least I assume she’s Brazilian, don’t ruin it for me :D

And if you really like her, she'll say "Throttle, throttle" too!

Varsity
09-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Anyone else see Doug at the DFW event?

Man.. he looks like a mess

:(

flightlessbirds
09-04-2019, 08:07 AM

Yup ... Exactly my thoughts as well! You’d think he’d be a bit better turned out finally getting rid of the last Super 80s.

TallFlyer
09-04-2019, 12:35 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-03/american-air-keeps-canceling-flights-and-the-ceo-takes-the-heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrowneVic
09-04-2019, 01:32 PM
I will miss those comfy pax seats in the 80, just as they were in all the airplanes from the good 'ol days; covered in cloth with lots of cushion!

It's painful just thinking about having to sit on the newer, thin, leather-covered stuff for more than 30 minutes:(

There's nothing left with seats like those anymore. 'Tis a sad day.

End of the real-jet-engine era.

Fair winds and following seas, Mad Dog!

captjns
09-04-2019, 04:42 PM
I will miss those comfy pax seats in the 80, just as they were in all the airplanes from the good 'ol days; covered in cloth with lots of cushion!

It's painful just thinking about having to sit on the newer, thin, leather-covered stuff for more than 30 minutes:(

There's nothing left with seats like those anymore. 'Tis a sad day.

End of the real-jet-engine era.

Fair winds and following seas, Mad Dog!

MD80 was OK to fly. But nothing will top the trusty B727... not just handling qualities... a true tree flight crewmembered cockpit.

TransWorld
09-04-2019, 06:17 PM
MD80 was OK to fly. But nothing will top the trusty B727... not just handling qualities... a true tree flight crewmembered cockpit.

Here, here! The first sim I sat in was a three holer. :D

pooch817
09-10-2019, 10:25 AM
The MD 80 will at last be retired from American Airlines. The 80 had a rocky start and wasn't expected to amount to much. American had bought Southern Cal and the MD 80 was expected to take over its routes in California. A dozen aircraft at the most. My first flight as Captain on the MD 80 was to pick up an MD 80 from the factory at Long Beach and fly it to Orange County where I would take the first American Air Lines revenue flight out of Orange County. There were no MD 80 simulators so I was checked out on a DC9 simulator on another airline. I had seen the MD 80 nav system and read about it in the log book, but It was a complete mystery to me and it seemed every time I touched something on the nav panel something bad happened. We had no QRH and didn't know what one was. We got our landing speeds from the big op manual which was a major cluster. I bid a trip that did DFW to AUS turn arounds. My Copilot was one of the guys that got to fly the MD 80 Airplane in training and being a bit anal was enthralled by the MD 80 "new nav system". He taught me how to use the Nav system and I couldn't have asked for a better Nav instructor. By now we had learned that getting the landing speeds out of the log book was not the way to go. We put the landing speeds and emergency procedures on 3x5 cards.
Weather wise then you could take an airplane down to 50 ft and if you saw the centerline you landed. One day I was the only plane to get into ORD. Why because with the short wheels on the MD 80 I was next to the ground and could see the centerline the taller wheeled airplane could not.
Now the company starts paying attention. The MD 80 can serve airport previously closed to us because of field lenght and get into field when the weather conditions block the others. So AA bought a bunch of the MD 80s. Our being back burner ragamuffins was over.

We had some fun copilots. About the worse trip that could be held on the MD 80 I got through poor bidding and the assistance of a computer bidder. An all nighter turn around and me being pretty senior. My Copilot was a pink cheeked surfer from California. I think swell I got the worse trip on the bid sheet and a copilot that doesn't speak English. But surfers are more attentive to the winds and weather then a yachtsman and being Irish he could tell one hell of a story and being gullible I believed them, up to a point. When I realized I was being had I'd say Got D---= it Mark. And he would say but it was one hell of a story. I spent that month laughing. Love and whisky was his down fall, he tore the door off one of our FA's room in the hotel, scaring the poor girl to death. The Company was going to fire him. As I was active in the Union I had some chits out that I called in. I talked to Mark before he went before the man. I told him there is a lesson here, when you go before the man you lie like bandit, when they got you cold snivel. They got you cold so snivel like you've never sniveled before. The company had the good sense to keep him. I told him if he ever pulled an other jug headed move like this again I was coming after him myself. He was a hell of a pilot and a hell of a pleasure to fly with. You don't want to lose people like that.

CPE1704TKS
09-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Love and whisky was his down fall, he tore the door off one of our FA's room in the hotel, scaring the poor girl to death. . . You don't want to lose people like that.

:confused:

pooch817
09-10-2019, 11:59 AM
:confused:

The Pilot profession then was dominated by men and not girls.

TransWorld
09-11-2019, 04:51 AM

For some reason it reminds me of the politically incorrect statement, “Where men are men, women are few, and sheep are nervous.”

pooch817
09-11-2019, 05:27 AM
The MD 80 is the last airplane that is still flying when I worked for American. At times we would take the airplane directly from the factory to fly it's first revenue flight. Jet wise the BAC 111 was our first two engine 2 piloted airplane. Adopting to a two man crew was difficult for some of us, because few had done it. The 727 was a sweeter airplane and a Flight Engineer makes one a part of the cabin crew. Flying the MD 80 was down right rustic in a lot of ways, but the little SOB could sure climb and we had little problems with short runways. It's MEL was often if a part doesn't work don't use it. The jump seat on the 80 was a rickety fold out job, located on the wall behind the Captain, super uncomfortable. Folded out it was between the seats, slightly behind the two pilots. It made the cockpit like a sardine can and we just hated riding the darned thing. The girls started rubbing their tits on our backs as they talked to the Captain. Then the jump seat got rather popular. At first the LGA airport authority would not allow the MD 80 to come in to LGA saying the MD 80 had too heavy a footprint. Typical New York political corruption. The MD 80 was natural for the ridiculous visual approaches we made into LGA. Eventually I would land the DC10 at LGA while still being told the MD 80 was too heavy. That was another reason to like the MD 80. On the 727 we would make three sometimes 4 landings a day at LGA. Missing LGA was not a reason for regret.

CPE1704TKS
09-11-2019, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the history lesson. Here’s another one.

The flight attendant profession then was dominated by women, not boys.

What’s your point?

pooch817
09-11-2019, 06:10 AM
This web site seems more about girl talk then airplane talk so I wonder if perhaps there is a great number of make believe pilots here.

Smoke Toliet
09-11-2019, 06:22 AM
For some reason it reminds me of the politically incorrect statement, “Where men are men, women are few, and sheep are nervous.”

Heard the same thing about West Virginia. :)

pooch817
09-12-2019, 09:37 AM
The MD80 is the last plane that was till flying when I still flew. And now it is gone. My ATP says DC9 because I went through a DC9 program with another airline when I was certified. There were no MD 80 Sims in existence then. Not much difference in the airplanes but the Nav panel was totally different. I was taught the nav panel by a copilot flying the Austin/ DFW turn arounds. The information put out by Boeing/Douglas was that American had initially ordered 20 MD 80s. That’s not what we were told. We were told the MD 80 was bought to fly the routes in California that we acquired when we bought Air Cal. It was not until we started taking the 80 into short fields and getting in on low visibility days that the other planes could not do that the company paid attention to us. I short order American purchased more MD 80s then any body else. We were for a while a forgotten airline. We made our own QRH out of 3x5 cards. The new kids on the street were the 757 and the 767 and they got all the attention. We in the MD 80 were just an after thought and we basically learned the airplane from one another. There was only a couple dozen of us at first so we picked one another's brain to learn our airplane. It was quite unusual for an airline as structured as American to start out a new program in such a ragged manner. But for us it was fun.

Packrat
09-12-2019, 11:04 AM
There is no MD-80 type rating. Its still a DC-9 Series 80 so your DC-9 type rating is a "one size fits all" from the -10 through the -90. Not sure...is the 717 covered or did they come up with a B717 type rating?

CPE1704TKS
09-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Correct, every MD-80 pilot has a DC-9 type rating. The DC-9 type rating includes the B717, as well.

Not trying to stir the pot, but some of Pooch’s stories don’t really add up. Or maybe they’re just 10% true!

Saabs
09-12-2019, 11:28 AM
He’s clearly not an AA guy cuz he kept saying MD80 instead of Super 80 ;)

pooch817
09-12-2019, 11:54 AM
I wondered about the rating. I have a B720 rating as well as a B707 ATP ratings. To me a MD 80 was never the same as a DC9 and yet there was little difference between the 720 and a 707. Fill me in on where I am wrong about the beginnings of the MD 80 program. I'll bet you I am right. I don't know if anybody flying it called it a super 80. I had a friend that flew it till the end still called it an MD 80.