Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Part 135 out of Florida?

JulesRav
07-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Is there a part 135 in FL like Boutique Air? They hire pilots with 500 TT and one of their bases is Denver. Wondering if there are some like it in Florida and what their base cities are.

Thank you!

JTwift
07-07-2019, 03:57 PM
There are lots of 135s in Florida. Most are in the FLL region (South Florida).

Shop around carefully. Thereís a reason South Florida has a rep.

JulesRav
07-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Got it. Could you name a few? Under the past 135 tab everything shows under CA, TX...donít see anything in FL.

Thank you

TiredSoul
07-07-2019, 08:39 PM
What are you looking for?
There are 135 operators with single engine piston, multi engine piston, turbo prop single or multi and Jets.
Do you qualify as per the regs?
Insurance compagnies determine hiring requirements.
I know of a 135 near me that requires ATP and 500 ME to fly a clapped out C310.
Lot of the small companies go by word of mouth and recommendations.
Pardon my French and no disrespect but nobody and I mean nobody will give a 19 year old with 500hrs TT the time of day if you walk in and they donít know you.
Now if theyíve seen you pumping gas and generally working your ass off and being polite and have good work ethic and youíre responsible then yes.
Youíll be a shoe in.
Former student of mine got hired just like that right out of the fuel truck into a Part 91 turboprop.
If youíre low time your best bet is to get a job at a busy FBO for the next season ( Oct-May) and start networking.
Keep instrument current by finding a buddy to do approaches with.

JulesRav
07-08-2019, 06:58 AM
I apologize for the lack of information!

Iím actually a 41-year-old mother of two, going for a late career change. I have a degree, and 20+ years work experience, including about 10 in financial analysis. Iím now working on my commercial. I just finished my IFR rating in May. Iím only at 250 hours. The reason Iím asking about part 135 opportunities around 500 TT is because Iím looking at a possible move to FL. If I stay in CO, I will have the opportunity to apply at Boutique Air. I know quite a few pilots that work for them and they like it and itís a good way to get to ATP minimums.

I also worked at my local FBO (fueling) for 9 months from last summer until March of this year. Got to meet a lot of people that way, however it is mostly a GA airport.

Does this shine a better light on what Iím looking for?

TiredSoul
07-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Yes and I apologize for putting my foot in my mouth.
Iíd try and get my foot in with Boutique Air before uprooting.
Have you looked at Mokuele(spelling?) out of Hawaii?

Silver Airways has a CPL-only entry program.
Thatís in Florida.

JTwift
07-09-2019, 06:08 AM

Dude. Mother of two, going to move to Hawaii on $19k a year? Thatís insane.

rickair7777
07-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Thatís in Florida.

Yes, silver would be better than many other S. FL options. You'd really have to know folks or do a lot of homework to avoid landmines in part 135 down there.

JulesRav
07-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Dude. Mother of two, going to move to Hawaii on $19k a year? Thatís insane.

Yeah!! I have an acquaintance at Mokulele. She is having a blast but tough to live in Hawaii on $19k. She rents a bedroom for $900/m. I know I will be making peanuts for a bit. My husband might be willing to move if I find a good opportunity...

JulesRav
07-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Yes, silver would be better than many other S. FL options. You'd really have to know folks or do a lot of homework to avoid landmines in part 135 down there.

Will look into Silver Air. Thank you!

JulesRav
07-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Will look into Silver Air. Thank you!

Is the market in FL pretty saturated with low hour pilots? Wonder if harder to get a job there than other states.

TiredSoul
07-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Probably wise to choose safe over adventure.
I think every Regional now has a program where they try and snare you when you have a CPL-CFI and you sign a letter of intent.
Iíd avoid Florida 135 unless youíre well acquainted with the operation.

MostlyHarmless
07-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Are you near DEN? Have you considered trying to get into Boutique in a non flying role first?

When I was with the company, I flew with an FO who had done that. If I remember correctly, when he started as an FO he had a good bit less than 500hrs. I think they may be hiring for dispatch and crew scheduling.

If you're looking to go straight 121, scheduling or dispatch experience may not be very useful. But if you're not sure that the airlines is exactly where you're going, than some sys ops experience could make you useful/interesting for other 135 operations you may look to fly for.

From what I understand, the work can be stressful and the hours can be crappy. You'll get to deal with pilots all over the country. Often those conversations will be pleasant and professional. Sometimes you'll get to disappoint them. But you'd get a fascinating introduction into how a small airline operates. And the view from the office offers a terrific view of the mountains and the airport.

flyoutaz
07-09-2019, 09:55 AM
Ya, btq is a good option for that. Believe it's a 6 month wait by policy now, but seen 350-500hrs get promoted to FO from csa/ramp/etc.

Most non internal hires were 800+ last I heard. Lots of applications

CardboardCutout
07-09-2019, 10:50 AM
For the Skybully's sake, go to a regional!

JTwift
07-09-2019, 10:55 AM

At 250-500 hours? She kinda canít do that.

Spin
07-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Ya, btq is a good option for that. Believe it's a 6 month wait by policy now, but seen 350-500hrs get promoted to FO from csa/ramp/etc.

Most non internal hires were 800+ last I heard. Lots of
applications

Lots of applications? I thought there is a pilot shortage at other than major airlines.

Sanguy
07-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Lots of applications? I thought there is a pilot shortage at other than major airlines.

Lots of apps doesn't mean lots of qualified applicants. I've seen applicants with an internal rec not make it past phone interviews.

JulesRav
07-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Are you near DEN? Have you considered trying to get into Boutique in a non flying role first?

When I was with the company, I flew with an FO who had done that. If I remember correctly, when he started as an FO he had a good bit less than 500hrs. I think they may be hiring for dispatch and crew scheduling.

If you're looking to go straight 121, scheduling or dispatch experience may not be very useful. But if you're not sure that the airlines is exactly where you're going, than some sys ops experience could make you useful/interesting for other 135 operations you may look to fly for.

From what I understand, the work can be stressful and the hours can be crappy. You'll get to deal with pilots all over the country. Often those conversations will be pleasant and professional. Sometimes you'll get to disappoint them. But you'd get a fascinating introduction into how a small airline operates. And the view from the office offers a terrific view of the mountains and the airport.

Iím pretty sure Iím going 121. The problem with an ops job that will pay $14/h is that childcare costs me $17/h. 😣. Plus 1 hour commute each way. Iím sure it would be fun and educational but it isnít feasible at this point for me. Now if it were a $14/h flying job or a big commute for flying I would most definitely consider it and try to somehow make it work because of flight hours. I worked at an FBO for 9 months and made minimum wage. It only worked because I worked Sats only and my hubby took over those days otherwise I would have to pay to work.

Thank you so much for the info btw!! I really appreciate it!

JulesRav
07-09-2019, 02:08 PM
At 250-500 hours? She kinda canít do that.

No. Between 250-500 itís pretty much, banner towing, glider towing, possibly surveying (depending on pilot demand at the time) and well CFI if one can gather the extra money to get there...

JulesRav
07-09-2019, 02:09 PM
Probably wise to choose safe over adventure.
I think every Regional now has a program where they try and snare you when you have a CPL-CFI and you sign a letter of intent.
Iíd avoid Florida 135 unless youíre well acquainted with the operation.

Thank you!

Varsity
07-09-2019, 04:12 PM

:rolleyes: Out of touch much?

theonlyski
07-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Is the market in FL pretty saturated with low hour pilots? Wonder if harder to get a job there than other states.

The market is saturated here because so many people do their training here and want to get jobs here. Some operators capitalize on this by having people fly planes that shouldn't be flown or pay them peanuts (or less). Not to say there aren't some good gigs in the area, but most of them are going to want more than wet ink commercials (because they can afford to be picky).

JulesRav
07-09-2019, 07:48 PM
The market is saturated here because so many people do their training here and want to get jobs here. Some operators capitalize on this by having people fly planes that shouldn't be flown or pay them peanuts (or less). Not to say there aren't some good gigs in the area, but most of them are going to want more than wet ink commercials (because they can afford to be picky).

Got it. Thanks for the insight!

captjns
07-10-2019, 04:01 AM
No. Between 250-500 itís pretty much, banner towing, glider towing, possibly surveying (depending on pilot demand at the time) and well CFI if one can gather the extra money to get there...

Survey flying and pipeline flying inspection are good ways to build time fast for low time pilots. Some provide transport and housing whilst on station. Well worth looking into.

Johnny Skyhawk
07-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Thatís in Florida.

Silver Airways is Part 121only, you have to have ATP mins to apply.

Look into Cape Air, IBC Airways, and PlaneSense.

TiredSoul
07-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Silver Airways is Part 121only, you have to have ATP mins to apply.

I know that, do I have to spell out everything? They have an entry level program.
https://www.silverairways.com/pilot-recruitment#programs

theonlyski
07-10-2019, 02:11 PM
I know that, do I have to spell out everything? They have an entry level program.
https://www.silverairways.com/pilot-recruitment#programs

I don't think that's an entry level job, I think they just have you sign a CJO and basically make you a cadet while you instruct at any school till you hit your ATP numbers (with some money paid out from what would be your bonus towards some ratings). Practically no different from just CFI'ing anywhere aside from a little cash flow and possibly some travel benefits.

I could be wrong, I've only met with their recruiters a couple of times (free pizza is free pizza after all).

sar1
07-10-2019, 02:26 PM
As somebody else mentioned, survey. I got on with a picto vender because I could not find much in NE FL / JAX at 500hr. Now I'm at 800hr with 250 multi, so it builds quick. 4 weeks on, 2 off. Not sure that'll work with the kids, but worth mentioning. Pay is terrible, but you're trading your time for the flight time. So I continue to look for 135 jobs in the area, but they seem to fill without advertising. Good luck.

blueskies27
07-12-2019, 06:36 AM
As someone else mentioned, Cape would be a good gig if you were up for commuting out of Florida and being gone 4-5 days a week. They will take you around 500. Planesense, not so much as they increased their FO mins to 1000hrs unless you have internal recommendation. Looks like Silver is willing to fork over 10k on your CFI/II/and MEI. Not sure that amount will get you all of those but its a start if your up for signing a contract.

JulesRav
07-18-2019, 10:57 PM
As someone else mentioned, Cape would be a good gig if you were up for commuting out of Florida and being gone 4-5 days a week. They will take you around 500. Planesense, not so much as they increased their FO mins to 1000hrs unless you have internal recommendation. Looks like Silver is willing to fork over 10k on your CFI/II/and MEI. Not sure that amount will get you all of those but its a start if your up for signing a contract.

Ok thank you!