Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Spirit of Alaska

MusicPilot
07-20-2019, 02:58 AM
Rumor mills are churning hard on this one. It seems very plausible, especially with the fleet plan being pushed into 2020 and NK would seem like an easy buy for AS. Thoughts?

RiddleEagle18
07-20-2019, 03:43 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190720/9a1679c69c06dc871376b6668fb50324.jpg

I love pilot rumors. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

putzin
07-20-2019, 05:45 AM
rumor mills are churning hard on this one. It seems very plausible, especially with the fleet plan being pushed into 2020 and nk would seem like an easy buy for as. Thoughts?

🤢🤢🤢🤮

rickair7777
07-20-2019, 06:30 AM
JB seems more plausible. Same customer demographic and complementary route structures.

EskimoJoe
07-20-2019, 10:24 AM
rumor mills are churning hard on this one. It seems very plausible, especially with the fleet plan being pushed into 2020 and nk would seem like an easy buy for as. Thoughts?

o.f.f.s. 🤦🏻*♂️

Macjet
07-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Rumor mills are churning hard on this one. It seems very plausible, especially with the fleet plan being pushed into 2020 and NK would seem like an easy buy for AS. Thoughts?

I don't think there's a single employee at NK that want's anything to do with AS. NK is slated to double in size in the next five years and continue 12% and 10% YOY growth from years 6-10. What makes you think it's even for sale?

MusicPilot
07-20-2019, 06:13 PM
I don't think there's a single employee at NK that want's anything to do with AS. NK is slated to double in size in the next five years and continue 12% and 10% YOY growth from years 6-10. What makes you think it's even for sale?

Everything thing is for sale (at the right price)

putzin
07-20-2019, 08:48 PM
JB seems more plausible. Same customer demographic and complementary route structures.

You would think, but "Virgin".

Macjet
07-21-2019, 07:16 AM
Everything thing is for sale (at the right price)

Of course. But having just overpaid for VX I don't see AS forking over the cash required to acquire an airline that has grown over 200% in the last six years and will double again in five. Spirit has a future and Alaska is stagnant. Thanks, but no thanks.

MusicPilot
07-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Of course. But having just overpaid for VX I don't see AS forking over the cash required to acquire an airline that has grown over 200% in the last six years and will double again in five. Spirit has a future and Alaska is stagnant. Thanks, but no thanks.

Yes, AS is stagnant, however, their idea of growth (now) is credit cards, regional jets, and scare to compete acquisitions. Word was VX was bought due to WN looking to buy AS. AS acquires VX and makes it a tougher buy for WN. Rumor on the NK sure is DL is sniffy around and NK has been looking at SEA. Thatís no good either way for AS. That would force AS into another acquisition. They may have overpaid for VX, but theyíve quickly paid off that acquisition and even lining their investors pockets at the expense of the employee groups.

Peacock
07-21-2019, 01:51 PM
Yes, AS is stagnant, however, their idea of growth (now) is credit cards, regional jets, and scare to compete acquisitions. Word was VX was bought due to WN looking to buy AS. AS acquires VX and makes it a tougher buy for WN. Rumor on the NK sure is DL is sniffy around and NK has been looking at SEA. Thatís no good either way for AS. That would force AS into another acquisition. They may have overpaid for VX, but theyíve quickly paid off that acquisition and even lining their investors pockets at the expense of the employee groups.

I thought the accepted story was that Alaska bought Virgin to prevent JetBlue from buying Virgin

Silver02ex
07-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Rumor on the NK sure is DL is sniffy around and NK has been looking at SEA. Thatís no good either way for AS.

Spirit only has one gate in SEA and about 10 flights a day . I don't think there's anything to worry about for AS or DL.

OleBillBraski
07-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Thatís all fine and dandy.....but most importantly......what does OTZ Eagle have to say about this?

OleBillBraski
07-22-2019, 11:20 AM
OTZ Eagletronic told me that weíre gonna merge w/ Kalitta. Itís definitely happening......so stoked guys. Get ready to rake in the Benjamins. Imma buy my special lady that dress sheís always wanted at TJ Max.

DenainaPilot
07-23-2019, 02:45 AM
The Spirit of Alaska used to be Penairís slogan. RIP

OleBillBraski
07-24-2019, 06:02 AM
On the real guys.....I just saw MEA 25 billion And OTZ PIGEON picking up chicks at 8 Bit arcade in Renton. They had matching Kawasaki Ninjas from 1985. VERY SAD

echelon
07-24-2019, 07:27 AM
On the real guys.....I just saw MEA 25 billion And OTZ PIGEON picking up chicks at 8 Bit arcade in Renton. They had matching Kawasaki Ninjas from 1985. VERY SAD

Try harder to be funny

Reactivity
07-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Try harder to be funny

Already trying too hard.

OleBillBraski
07-24-2019, 03:35 PM
That hurts my feelings......you guys need a yelp review......double thumbs down. ď I would never party with Eschelon and ReactivityĒ. ďLamest dudes everĒ.

OleBillBraski
07-24-2019, 08:28 PM
You guyzzzz use all the Jet references.....is that because you fly the 737? I bet Knock Knock can fly that bird up a mule deers ******* on a cold winter morning.

OleBillBraski
07-24-2019, 08:46 PM
I heard echelon and reactivity buddy bid on LAS overnights. Eat the entire crab leg Buffett at the Rio and hang out in room 2115 together. VERY SAD

Flyboy8784
07-25-2019, 08:43 AM
OMG hahahahahahahahaha, the specifics crack me up:D:D:D

Its like reading the airline version of President Trumps Tweets!!

OleBillBraski
07-25-2019, 08:55 AM
OMG hahahahahahahahaha, the specifics crack me up:D:D:D

Its like reading the airline version of President Trumps Tweets!!

I heard the MCAS is gonna be renamed. Called the (whoops - a - Daisy) system. One mistake and the plane will auto land in in COS and force you to watch OTZ Pigeon fly his RC F-15 and attempt to pick up chicks at the local jogging park

KnockKnock
07-25-2019, 09:36 AM
You guyzzzz use all the Jet references.....is that because you fly the 737? I bet Knock Knock can fly that bird up a mule deers ******* on a cold winter morning.
Tisk tisk bill, You shouldnít call your wife a mule deer. Maybe this is why she stopped paying attention to you and you come on here desperately seeking attention. Iíll give you your attention bill. Itís the least I could do for a fellow narrow body bad boy. By the way, that 737 fits real nice in there. He||, thereís room to spare!

When did AS stop requiring a high school diploma? I know once VX was in the picture College was out of the question but come on!

Your turn bill, letís you and I derail all the threads. Iím happy to listen to your life story played out in bad jokes.

Reactivity
07-25-2019, 10:34 AM
I heard echelon and reactivity buddy bid on LAS overnights. Eat the entire crab leg Buffett at the Rio and hang out in room 2115 together. VERY SAD

Pffft - Rio. Gimme a break.

Golden Nugget every day of the week.

OleBillBraski
07-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Pffft - Rio. Gimme a break.

Golden Nugget every day of the week.

Lol!! Ellis Island 9$ steak all day long. Then I play video poker and drink well whiskey and watch the truckers rip cigs

OleBillBraski
07-26-2019, 11:15 AM
Tisk tisk bill, You shouldnít call your wife a mule deer. Maybe this is why she stopped paying attention to you and you come on here desperately seeking attention. Iíll give you your attention bill. Itís the least I could do for a fellow narrow body bad boy. By the way, that 737 fits real nice in there. He||, thereís room to spare!

When did AS stop requiring a high school diploma? I know once VX was in the picture College was out of the question but come on!

Your turn bill, letís you and I derail all the threads. Iím happy to listen to your life story played out in bad jokes.

Iíll have you know that I graduated Kawledge w/ a 3.9. GOOD DAY SIR.

OleBillBraski
07-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Iíll have you know that I graduated Kawledge w/ a 3.9. GOOD DAY SIR.

Doorbell Doorbell.....my shenanigans are fun and cheeky. Yours are cruel and evil. EVILLLL SHENNANIGANS !!!

OleBillBraski
07-26-2019, 02:58 PM
Doorbell Doorbell. I love the Tisk Tisk reference. Are you super into Patrick Swayze in Black Dog?

OleBillBraski
07-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Or is it Roadhouse? Just bouncers talkin about bouncin? F- in yeahhhhhhhhhhh bro. Nice Beamer !!!!

KnockKnock
07-26-2019, 03:15 PM
bill, are you arguing with yourself above? This is worse than I thought. How many people are in in there with you bill? Now I feel bad I commented on your ladies large hanger. I didn’t realize you had a handicap. No hard feelings bill. I apologize if I don’t immediately get all of you ‘80’s references. I was just a mere babe during that amazing decade. It does sound like that was your time to shine though. Keep on rockin the Casbah bill. Also, big bonus for you, the fanny pack is back in style baby!!!

One quick edit, love the “doorbell doorbell”. Like they say, the delivery boy rings twice ;) teeeeheeeeeheeee

Your turn bill....

pipewrench
07-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Dalton drove a Mercedes

pipewrench
07-26-2019, 04:03 PM
and he was a "cooler" not a bouncer

KnockKnock
07-26-2019, 04:07 PM
and he was a "cooler" not a bouncer
Wait, so bill’s not even getting his own jokes/references right? Yikes....

Flyin1500
07-27-2019, 07:57 AM
Lol!! Ellis Island 9$ steak all day long. Then I play video poker and drink well whiskey and watch the truckers rip cigs

Chaz?! Is that you? Was there a BevMo sale?

Satlol
07-27-2019, 11:45 AM
bill, are you arguing with yourself above? This is worse than I thought. How many people are in in there with you bill? Now I feel bad I commented on your ladies large hanger. I didnít realize you had a handicap. No hard feelings bill. I apologize if I donít immediately get all of you Ď80ís references. I was just a mere babe during that amazing decade. It does sound like that was your time to shine though. Keep on rockin the Casbah bill. Also, big bonus for you, the fanny pack is back in style baby!!!

One quick edit, love the ďdoorbell doorbellĒ. Like they say, the delivery boy rings twice ;) teeeeheeeeeheeee

Your turn bill....

Whatís your fascination with his girl? Makes you sound like a creeper...

KnockKnock
07-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Whatís your fascination with his girl? Makes you sound like a creeper...
Ha. No. Iím sure much like bill, her prime was also in the Ď80ís. You do raise a good point about fascination though. What's bill's fascination with me? He sure took the time to get my attention. Anyways, welcome to billís and mine derailment.

Back2future
07-27-2019, 01:32 PM
This thread is as about on par with typical negotiation or contract related discussion in the cockpit of an Alaska 737. If you make it past 5 minutes without getting derailed by the okiedoke sitting next to you its a miracle.

I don't know if the company pays you guys to disrupt any sort of discussion on these forums but they should.

KnockKnock
07-27-2019, 02:21 PM
This thread is as about on par with typical negotiation or contract related discussion in the cockpit of an Alaska 737. If you make it past 5 minutes without getting derailed by the okiedoke sitting next to you its a miracle.

I don't know if the company pays you guys to disrupt any sort of discussion on these forums but they should.
I prefer to keep things focused on the company and our contract. I made a special exception for bill because he went soooo far out of his way to get me to pay attention to him.

This highlights an important aspect of our current negotiations and company culture though. The division seems to be increasing lately. There is a group of pilots emerging that feel thinking for oneself is a threat. To them, we must all parrot the same rhetoric or we are an enemy. Any perspective that differs from their own is treated as a lie and labeled “trolling”.

It’s gonna be hard to unify the group when there are those working so hard to keep it divided.

pipewrench
07-27-2019, 06:43 PM

I prefer to discuss the demise of "Mr Hands"

ShyGuy
07-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Post a pic of yourself in Freddy Krueger hugging a cat or yaíll got nothing on this thread.

Back2future
07-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Any perspective that differs from their own is treated as a lie and labeled ďtrollingĒ.

Its interesting how all the other Airline threads on here contain thoughtful and germane discussions for at least 75% percent of the content. The Alaska threads are the inverse of that....

Reactivity
07-29-2019, 12:29 PM
Its interesting how all the other Airline threads on here contain thoughtful and germane discussions for at least 75% percent of the content. The Alaska threads are the inverse of that....

I've found very little of value in the APC forums in general, which always makes me wonder why I bother reading them.

KnockKnock
07-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Wish I had an answer for you on that. Free thinking is frowned upon by both camps here. It's very much a, "if you're not with us (on everything), you're against us", mentality. We get put into categories. Maybe it's easier to classify the group than to actually understand it.

For me, I recognize both the good and the bad. I acknowledge what needs fixing and what works. I understand that what works for some doesn't work for others. I hope to move towards a well rounded contract that satisfies both paries but...world peace right...

We have too many pilots that are firmly stuck in their extreme views of it's either the greatest or the worst airline that ever existed and unless you mirror their exact sentiments, you're opinions/perspectives are flame bait.

Trying to have a discussion on the topic here is as bad a any rightwing/leftwing political debate. No minds are being changed.

A330Checkairman
08-14-2019, 07:23 AM

and its gonna stay that way broseph.... because Alaska IS the inverse of the industry.... just compare W2s and block hours....

FLYBOYMATTHEW
08-22-2019, 09:39 PM
If you think this drift is bad, you should see the Delta Buying Spirit thread. 35 pages of arguing whether or not a Miata is a sports car.

Back2future
08-22-2019, 10:59 PM
If you think this drift is bad, you should see the Delta Buying Spirit thread. 35 pages of arguing whether or not a Miata is a sports car.

I tried reading that thread but had to step away before I brought up my Porsche 914...;)

rickair7777
08-23-2019, 07:25 AM
I tried reading that thread but had to step away before I brought up my Porsche 914...;)

914 has the same engine as that VW van I had back in FL...

Back2future
08-23-2019, 02:23 PM
914 has the same engine as that VW van I had back in FL...

Lol. Thanks for taking the bait...😀

450knotOffice
08-23-2019, 05:17 PM
But what a great handling little car that 914 is. Then, add in a nice air cooled 200+ HP 911 flat 6 and all of a sudden youíve got a canyon carving beast!

😉

snackysmores
10-08-2019, 11:37 PM
Just a heads up Horizon E175s are now approved for 89k MTOW

Scope. Now.

DashAviator
10-09-2019, 05:43 AM
What Snacky said... I think most of us Horizon pilots understand the negative implications of flying larger jets for Alaska, BUT it should also be noted that there is no existing contract language that prohibits this. Air Group management seems happy with the idea of "growing" Alaska flying at the regional level, while growth at Alaska mainline stagnates.

Flaps1check
10-09-2019, 07:39 AM
What Snacky said... I think most of us Horizon pilots understand the negative implications of flying larger jets for Alaska, BUT it should also be noted that there is no existing contract language that prohibits this. Air Group management seems happy with the idea of "growing" Alaska flying at the regional level, while growth at Alaska mainline stagnates.

Itís not Horizon pilots fault or problem. The blame rest squarely on the shoulders of this pilot group.

Outdoors
10-09-2019, 08:01 AM

only four months this year or so havenít been a decrease ytd in mainline block hours. Source: monthly financial traffic reports.

SCOPE

Packrat
10-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Flaps1check is 100% correct.

KnockKnock
10-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Flaps1check is 100% correct.
So are you accepting the blame packrat? You were part of the pilot group that decided no scope was acceptable through the course of many contracts. Should we be seeking reparations for your lack of foresight?

Packrat
10-09-2019, 02:29 PM
If you insist. But you have to indict the whole pilot group going back long before I was here. Go ahead and toss in the pilots who settled for 92%, for the B-scale, for the loss of trips touching training and vacation...

Just don't forget to add in the Angle Lake folks who refuse to even negotiate scope decade after decade. There's plenty of blame to go around...

In fact, how about the guy looking back at you in the mirror? You elect the LECs who elect the MECs and appoint the NC. You're up.

KnockKnock
10-09-2019, 04:00 PM
If you insist. But you have to indict the whole pilot group going back long before I was here. Go ahead and toss in the pilots who settled for 92%, for the B-scale, for the loss of trips touching training and vacation...

Just don't forget to add in the Angle Lake folks who refuse to even negotiate scope decade after decade. There's plenty of blame to go around...

In fact, how about the guy looking back at you in the mirror? You elect the LECs who elect the MECs and appoint the NC. You're up.
I agree that there’s plenty of blame to go around however, nobody seems to accept the responsibility for the situation we’re currently in. Everyone wants to say it was somebody else’s fault. L-VX guys blame L-AS pilots but they didn’t have any scope themselves. L-AS pilots blame Kasher but had multiple contracts cycles to right the wrong. Anyone hired now blames those senior to them but they accepted employment at companies (both AS and VX) that didn’t/don’t have scope. Maybe if we all accept our roll in this, we can fix it.

I do accept my part. I acknowledge that by coming here, I’ve enabled a management that refuses to negotiate in good faith with it’s pilots. I accept my roll in voting for representatives and I hope my choices are the correct ones. I think we’ve made progress and am so far impressed by our current group of reps and negotiators.

Maybe if we stop blaming others for our situation and acknowledge our own roll, we will be able gain meaningful protections. After all, nobody wants to BE the reason we’re getting screwed.

av8or
10-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Yeah man.... all we can do now is lock arms.... steady pressure... and make it happen. We got this. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Mudhen200
10-10-2019, 07:45 AM

Believe me, we did not "settle" for B-scale. As with most things, it was part of the industry at the time and therefore everybody was doing it. I believe that if you wish to place blame where it belongs, you should look to Eastern and / or United of the early 80's as the inventors of this historic raping of the youth known as B scale. And no, I didn't enjoy it much...

Second, we did not "settle" for the loss of trips touching vacation and training. That was Kasher. It was taken from us and there was not a darn thing we could do about it. At the time, virtually all airlines were in BK. They all lost trips touching. Kasher simply followed the new industry norm. If you look at the shell of a contract that we have today and imagine what it would be like if we had trips touching and banked vacation. I can't even wrap my mind around how much that was worth to the company. Kasher was a 32% pay cut for me plus the loss of trips touching and banked vacation. Good times...

So then we spend the next decade trying to fight out a dark deep hole. At the time, Alaska management wasn't doing much with Horizon, and virtually nothing with SkyWest. So we spent that time fighting to simply get back to an hourly wage that the pilot group wanted. At the time, there was really no clear threat that made scope a priority, so this pilot group chose to focus on wages. Judge us all you want with 20/20 hindsight, but that's what happened. In order to even get to the wages that this pilot group wanted we had to give the company all kinds of voluntary productivity stuff. Selling vacation, Premium pay, flying while on vacation, 90 hr. months, reserves flying on a day off - all of this stuff I'm convinced the company KNEW this pilot group would trip over itself to do. Here we are today, in section 6 negotiations, and this pilot group is still doing it. Surprise! Not...

We are suppose to be the 5th largest airline in the United States. Take a look at the reserve report on any given day for all of our bases. See how many pilots are on reserve to cover any given base on any random day. Then ask yourself - how does the 5th largest airline do this? Pilot behavior is the answer. Guys tripping over themselves for $$$$$. We are staffed so razor thin that if guys were to change their behavior, we would be unable to operate our schedule.

B&B love it this way. They love our productivity, our gitter done attitude, our willingness to jump in and lend a hand any time of the day or night - for just a few dollars more. Plus it saves them from having to hire another pilot, which really saves them money! A big win for B&B no matter how you slice it. The good news for the pilots is that there is a reasonable expectation that the airline should stay in business. So at least you will probably, hopefully, maybe have a job, that pays less then your peers, has less benefits and lower overall quality of life - BUT - you get the live in the PNW while you're doing it...

Packrat
10-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Did we do anything in response to those items being imposed? If not, we "settled" for it. It took KF to unilaterally eliminate the B-scale.

The -900 pay issue was the first and only time the pilot group took affiratimive action to overturn the Company's attempt to impose another crappy work or pay rule.