Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : UPS Application Question

MileHighClub
07-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Upon submitting the UPS application, this message appeared for a friend of mine as soon as he/she submitted it. Does this mean he/she was rejected or the application is under further review?

"Thank you. We have received and reviewed your background application information. Unfortunately, we currently have many qualified applicants, and will not be able to schedule you for additional testing at this time. Thank you for your interest in UPS."

howardhughes8
07-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Application is dead, unfortunately. Next year.

MileHighClub
07-25-2019, 08:44 PM

What do you mean by "next year"?

howardhughes8
07-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Basically every new calendar year is a “new year” for application purposes.

fightandflight
07-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Upon submitting the UPS application, this message appeared for a friend of mine as soon as he/she submitted it. Does this mean he/she was rejected or the application is under further review?

"Thank you. We have received and reviewed your background application information. Unfortunately, we currently have many qualified applicants, and will not be able to schedule you for additional testing at this time. Thank you for your interest in UPS."

It appears as if this message auto pops up when something in the application did not meet the minimum standards UPS is looking for. It may be possible that these minimum standards are not necessarily the advertised minimum standards. If you believe this was an error, your friend can use a different email address and VERY CAREFULLY fill in a new application. Keep in mind, the resume email should match the new email. This has worked for people I know, typically something wrong with how they input hours.

howardhughes8
07-25-2019, 09:05 PM
That is remote and far fetched, they do have database match capability, Wilkins with email A and Wilkins with email B is begging for a “manual review”. UPS is not your typical employer, a good employer with excellent benefits, but a non traditional employer for sure.

Pinkdog
07-27-2019, 09:10 AM

Not necessarily next year.
Several things seems to help improve the internal scoring of an app and may be able to get it back to “active” status (i.e. job fair visit, internal recommendation, etc). Hope this helps...

BrownDoubles
07-27-2019, 03:32 PM
Not necessarily next year.
Several things seems to help improve the internal scoring of an app and may be able to get it back to “active” status (i.e. job fair visit, internal recommendation, etc). Hope this helps...

This right here...

xNavy8tor
08-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Different question...same topic:

Is there anything specific to do in order to "submit" the application? I keep seeing people on the threads referencing "hitting submit", but all I see are green check marks next to all the categories, and "Active" & a green thumbs up on the dashboard page. The date on the dashboard page however still shows the original date that I started the application (several months ago), and doesn't seem to change with updates.

Does all that sound right, or have I missed a "Submit" button somewhere.

Thanks.

Hopeful
08-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Different question...same topic:

Is there anything specific to do in order to "submit" the application? I keep seeing people on the threads referencing "hitting submit", but all I see are green check marks next to all the categories, and "Active" & a green thumbs up on the dashboard page. The date on the dashboard page however still shows the original date that I started the application (several months ago), and doesn't seem to change with updates.

Does all that sound right, or have I missed a "Submit" button somewhere.

Thanks.

You should be good to go. That is how my application displays.

Mudhen2000
08-07-2019, 05:09 PM
I have three internal recommendations in the system and a live application. My availability date is spring of 2020. If I do not hear anything by the new year and have to re-apply, how does that affect my internal recommendations? Would my contacts have to re-submit? Thanks.

FTv3
08-07-2019, 05:26 PM
As far as we know, as long as you use the same email address on your annually submitted applications, your LORs will remain linked.

tnkrdrvr
08-07-2019, 06:13 PM
I have three internal recommendations in the system and a live application. My availability date is spring of 2020. If I do not hear anything by the new year and have to re-apply, how does that affect my internal recommendations? Would my contacts have to re-submit? Thanks.

I’m guessing you’re availability is around late February to early March. If HR is still operating the way they were two years ago when I was hired, I’d recommend either hitting them up at a job fair in the October/November timeframe or asking one of your internal guys to hand walk your resume into HR. That’s the time frame they will be looking at who they want to interview for the classes starting when you become available. For next year, on 1 January simply find the new application link. When you put your email and some personal info in it will auto populate from the old application. Good luck!

Swedish Blender
08-07-2019, 10:21 PM
As far as we know, as long as you use the same email address on your annually submitted applications, your LORs will remain linked.

No. They will have to fill out another rec for you. Straight from one of the hiring guys.

BoilerUP
08-08-2019, 02:21 AM
No. They will have to fill out another rec for you. Straight from one of the hiring guys.

That is a change from just a few years ago then; I was told by one of the hiring guys the same thing FTFF wrote, that LORs remain for subsequent years’ applications.

Mudhen2000
08-08-2019, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the conversation. I will probably have them just re-submit when I re-apply to be safe. I have an April availability date due to Air Force retirement. Unfortunately, I have to deploy one last time until January (thankfully flying) so the career fair I was thinking was wiai in March of 2020. Would love to interview before that though. With four internals is a career fair necessary?

BrownDoubles
08-08-2019, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the conversation. I will probably have them just re-submit when I re-apply to be safe. I have an April availability date due to Air Force retirement. Unfortunately, I have to deploy one last time until January (thankfully flying) so the career fair I was thinking was wiai in March of 2020. Would love to interview before that though. With four internals is a career fair necessary?

Great question; those who know won't say and there's no way to know until the call comes or doesn't. If you and I could figure out airline HR hiring practices we could retire a heck of a lot faster than by flying airplanes.

Swedish Blender
08-08-2019, 06:56 AM
That is a change from just a few years ago then; I was told by one of the hiring guys the same thing FTFF wrote, that LORs remain for subsequent years’ applications.

I talked to them a couple months ago.

767pilot
08-08-2019, 09:16 AM

That would really suck. Those things take a lot of time. I hope mudhen has a lot of beer money for the 4 he got!

FTv3
08-08-2019, 09:22 PM
Someone’s been keeping secrets....

Mudhen2000
08-09-2019, 03:36 AM
I’m hoping they kept their original submission and just re-submit. I actually have a copy of two of the four. Fingers crossed I get a call between now and December 31st. Will buy beer for job at UPS!

SaltyDog
08-09-2019, 08:56 AM
I’m hoping they kept their original submission and just re-submit. I actually have a copy of two of the four. Fingers crossed I get a call between now and December 31st. Will buy beer for job at UPS!

UPS has the original LOR. UPS has all your information. Why do they choose this method? No clue. ATL corporate controls much of the things we do in the airline. Your internals should repeat the original LOR at minimum or be even stronger. If they do, then UPS likely scores that as they still want you and you still want it because all had to repeat their efforts because UPS can force folks too. Loyalty and commitment gates perhaps :confused:
Wish you success

Jetjok
08-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Will buy beer for job at UPS!

Is that a six pack, or just one can? :)

MrBobRoss
08-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Would love to interview before that though. With four internals is a career fair necessary?[/QUOTE]

A career fair costs $200 to get face time with the people who choose whether or not you seem like a good fit. I don’t know of anyone who got hired recently who didn’t attend a job fair. Everybody has a friend or friends who work here. This is an elite company and they can afford to be very choosy and have thousands of applicants. If you really want this, you’ve got to show them and that means AT THE VERY LEAST, a job fair attendance.

CactusCrew
08-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Is that a six pack, or just one can? :)

Yes ! ;)

:D

Mudhen2000
08-12-2019, 04:09 PM
I understand the importance of meeting a recruiter in person. However, I am deploying right up until my terminal retirement date and the UPS internal recommendation process is very in-depth for one to write and submit. Four people going through that process should weigh a lot IMO. I was just wondering if people get hired without going? Also, this year was out of the ordinary with all of the fairs being on the west coast, which defiantly costs more than $200 when you throw on airfare, hotel, meals, etc...

If a career fair attendance is what proves interest, then i will attend the March WIAI. Thank you for the insight. WIAI in March is the next one and with deploying that puts me at my availability date. Would love another way to prove my desire for the job. Just want a chance to get my application and resume looked at. Thank you.

tnkrdrvr
08-12-2019, 08:53 PM
I understand the importance of meeting a recruiter in person. However, I am deploying right up until my terminal retirement date and the UPS internal recommendation process is very in-depth for one to write and submit. Four people going through that process should weigh a lot IMO. I was just wondering if people get hired without going? Also, this year was out of the ordinary with all of the fairs being on the west coast, which defiantly costs more than $200 when you throw on airfare, hotel, meals, etc...

If a career fair attendance is what proves interest, then i will attend the March WIAI. Thank you for the insight. WIAI in March is the next one and with deploying that puts me at my availability date. Would love another way to prove my desire for the job. Just want a chance to get my application and resume looked at. Thank you.

Mudhen,

I definitely sympathize with you on the cost of doing the job fair. Not everyone who is hired (at least in my new hire class) attends one. If you haven’t heard from the company by February, I would spend the money for the fair. Also, make sure you are applying to all the legacies, SW, and FedEx. HR can be fickle, but it’s a good bet at least one other company will call. More options are always better.

MrBobRoss
08-12-2019, 11:26 PM
I definitely agree. If you think of it like some people spend ~80k on grad school without a guaranteed job at the end of it, the cost of a job fair (you’re right- it is a bit higher when factoring in transportation, hotel, food, etc.) is still a minuscule fraction of the cost with statistically greater yield. The other great thing is you get to know the companies a bit better and ask questions with immediate, real time answers. Having four internal rec’s is a good testament to you, absolutely; but attending the job fair when you get back I think would really serve you well. Good luck on your tour, stay safe and fingers are crossed for you!

SaltyDog
08-14-2019, 05:44 AM

Dont disagree. You are using pilot logic. Throw it out. This is HR and corporate ego logic. Once sorta, kinda understand those two elements, you understand why you hear advice.
Numerous LORS terrific, but can tell you, that the numbers are not as importation as the one writing. The newer the person, the better the chance that HR (my observation) etc thinks they are a better rec as they may have hired the writer, thus your value goes up. Same with attending a job fair. Its not a way to prove commitment, it is simply a way to improve your meeting a decision maker in person. That is the marked difference.
Expensive and time consuming, but targeted efforts with high pay off potential better than lottery tickets :)
Best of luck

ckap130
08-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Mudhen,

The job fair is a must. And it may take more than one. Do people get hired here without it, sure, but they are the exception and not the rule. There are a TON of well qualified guys from both Mil and Civ backgrounds trying to get the call for an interview. The way you set your self apart from the pack is by making a personal connection with one of the HR folks and that happens at the job fair. I have recommended 3 buddies for jobs here and all 3 got called, but only after they attended job fairs. Pretty small investment for a really big payoff. The recommendations are great, but honestly most people have LORs so that does really set you apart as much as you might think. Job Fair Job Fair Job Fair...Go early go often!

Mudhen2000
08-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Copy all on career fair. I know UPS attends WIAI, OBAP, NGPA. Any other career fairs I may not be thinking of? Thanks for all the great information and willing to help. Thank you!

Hopeful
08-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Just make sure to check whether UPS will be at any particular job fair before you commit to going. They weren’t at OBAP this Spring.

vbguy01
08-15-2019, 02:45 AM
Just make sure to check whether UPS will be at any particular job fair before you commit to going. They weren’t at OBAP this Spring.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure OBAP just happened 2 weeks ago. It is usually held in August.

CactusCrew
08-15-2019, 07:44 AM
I wonder how many current UPS captains had to attend a job fair to get hired ?

It is virtually a requirement to be hired now.

Neosporin
08-15-2019, 08:49 AM
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure OBAP just happened 2 weeks ago. It is usually held in August.

OBAP always has a spring event in LAS, and the Annual event moves around the country each year.
yes, this year was just in LAX.

I have also met UPS at FAPA.

1800 RVR
08-17-2019, 05:10 AM
I wonder how many current UPS captains had to attend a job fair to get hired ?

It is virtually a requirement to be hired now.

This one didn’t. 2005 hire, and all it took was good recommendation and a resume. Things sure have changed...

FTv3
08-17-2019, 06:06 AM
No job fair for me, but that was 5 years ago ish now.

BoilerUP
08-17-2019, 06:17 AM
I don't think the "must attend a job fair" mentality fully took hold until the company people-moved the original cadre of 2014 pilot hiring managers.

Dunno if correlation equals causation there or not.

I'd also think 14/15 hires had many solid LORs, and as time marched on it appears those carry less weight than they used to.

jfingers
08-17-2019, 09:49 AM
I am an '18 hire, no job fair, 3 internals.

Blue skies, YMMV.

UBA727
08-17-2019, 11:26 AM
2017 hire, 2 internals and no job fair!

Damifinou
08-17-2019, 12:46 PM
2017 hire. No internals, 1 job fair.

whalesurfer
08-18-2019, 06:56 AM
I have an April availability date due to Air Force retirement. Unfortunately, I have to deploy one last time until January (thankfully flying) so the career fair I was thinking was wiai in March of 2020. Would love to interview before that though. With four internals is a career fair necessary?

I’ve talked to several new-hires who never went to a job fair. Recently we even hired a few without a college degree! In the past a college degree was pretty much a must.. (maybe with the exception of the early years of the airline)

The majority of these new-hires seem to have one thing in common - they were current, heavy-jet drivers who’re used to operating all over the world. Think Emirates, Cathay, Atlas, Omni, etc.. Not all of them, but many.

So is it possible to get hired without attending a job fair? Absolutely.
However, I think your odds would increase exponentially if you were to attend one. Used to work as a recruiter at a couple smaller airlines and must say that being able to interact with a potential new-hire meant a lot.
Imagine yourself being a business owner of a small coffee shop, auto parts store, etc. Wouldn’t you prefer to see the person you’re about to hire in person?

However, I definitely understand how hard, and expensive, it is to attend one, especially while serving in the military. I hope you’ll get the call sooner rather than later.
...and most of all, thank you for your service!

Chris25
08-18-2019, 07:15 AM
For the interview, do they want you to bring any LOR?

flyguy23
08-18-2019, 10:04 AM
For the interview, do they want you to bring any LOR?

They'll specifically tell you not to bring any to the interview. The only LORs they want to see are those within the ups system.

10L 4 Spacing
08-18-2019, 11:19 AM
I have been trying to contact Adam Hughes for sim prep. Tried the "Contact" dialogue on his website and the email address but so far no response. I'll take any suggestions on a better method or updated number.

MileHighClub
08-18-2019, 03:33 PM
I have been trying to contact Adam Hughes for sim prep. Tried the "Contact" dialogue on his website and the email address but so far no response. I'll take any suggestions on a better method or updated number.

He is hard to get a hold of. Just be patient. He will call back.

Hellafo
08-21-2019, 09:24 AM
How long are people sitting in the pool??

767pilot
08-21-2019, 11:43 AM
How long are people sitting in the pool??

There is no simple answer, it's a constantly re-ranked scoring system. Some never see the pool, some are a month or two, and some sit for far too long.

Bum130
09-07-2019, 09:44 AM
I had thought an application once completed would be listed as On File or Active.... yet after submission and with no other notes it lists Inactive?? Any ideas? Asking for a friend

tnkrdrvr
09-07-2019, 05:28 PM
I had thought an application once completed would be listed as On File or Active.... yet after submission and with no other notes it lists Inactive?? Any ideas? Asking for a friend

Unfortunately, better luck next year. Tell your “friend” to build more AC/IP/EP time before reapplying. Your buddy doesn’t meet the internal screen that HR has set currently.

TheFoose
09-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Basically every new calendar year is a “new year” for application purposes.

If you have an application being worked on inputting (not yet all green checkmarks), will the system reset it on Jan 1? Or just the completed/active apps? Thanks!

Mudhen2000
12-20-2019, 02:54 AM
My application locked yesterday (except for two sections). Can somebody confirm i will not be required to re-apply on 1 Jan? Thank you

767pilot
12-20-2019, 03:58 AM
My application locked yesterday (except for two sections). Can somebody confirm i will not be required to re-apply on 1 Jan? Thank you

You'd better plan on reapplying. I understand that even if you have a job offer you have to fill out the app again.

DoubleUp686
12-20-2019, 05:47 AM
You'd better plan on reapplying. I understand that even if you have a job offer you have to fill out the app again.

This is correct. I started January 4th, and my whole class had to submit a new app before beginning training.

Mudhen2000
12-20-2019, 06:38 AM
Copy...re-apply. Thank you