Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

B727DRVR
08-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Hi All,

I was wondering about 2 things with regard to policies and procedures at the Fractional carriers..

1) Are VNAV climbs allowed on your aircraft or operator?

2) Do you make a 1000' above, 500' above minimums call or do you make an "above the ground" call? I know that CAE and FSI use the above minimums, but I am hearing that many airlines do the above the ground. Cat II maybe...

Any input would be appreciated. I will put a similar question out to our Part 135 fellow aviators..

jetlag7
08-24-2019, 06:11 PM
I can only respond for NJ...

1. Yes but it depends on the aircraft -- some are allowed, some are not.

2. Both 1000' and 500' calls are above TDZE and setup as a challenge/response to verify the aircraft complies with stabilized approach criteria. (1000' for instrument approaches, 500' for visual approaches) - The Pilot Monitoring makes the call, and the Pilot Flying responds with "Stable" if the aircraft meets the criteria or executes a missed approach if it does not.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

NK Bumble Bee
09-03-2019, 06:40 PM
From the airline world, my company makes every approach get a 1000' ATDZE for stable criteria. "1000' stable" or "1000' unstable go around." Otherwise on CAT 1,2,3 approach callouts are based on MSL for FAF. CAT 2 minimums can be MSL or RA, usually 100' RA. CAT 3 is always RA either 50' or no minimums based on aircraft and approach facility status. Other than that everything is MSL.