Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Envoy Captains

tsimmns927
09-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Not a pilot and havenít enemy started training, but all I hear is how Envoy is short of CAs. Today I flew on a flight with 3 of them on my way to DFW from SPS. Must have been 1/3 of Envoy CAs lol. Just curious, but why would 3 CAs be on the same flight. Two in the general area and one up front I assume training a new FO. But what purpose would it serve sensing an additional 2 here on a flight, maybe to get their check in also?

rld1k
09-04-2019, 07:49 AM
We always carry an extra in the back. Some of the lifers are quite old and tend to fall asleep at the controls.

Cujo665
09-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Not a pilot and havenít enemy started training, but all I hear is how Envoy is short of CAs. Today I flew on a flight with 3 of them on my way to DFW from SPS. Must have been 1/3 of Envoy CAs lol. Just curious, but why would 3 CAs be on the same flight. Two in the general area and one up front I assume training a new FO. But what purpose would it serve sensing an additional 2 here on a flight, maybe to get their check in also?

you should save this, and come back here in ten years and read what you just wrote.....

tsimmns927
09-04-2019, 08:33 AM
you should save this, and come back here in ten years and read what you just wrote.....

Apologize for all the typos as I was typing on mobile as we were taxing and didnít proofread.

CLE to IAH
09-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Apologize for all the typos as I was typing on mobile as we were taxing and didnít proofread.

I think he was more referring to the content of your.......question.

MD-11Loader
09-04-2019, 09:15 AM

DFW-SPS is a short flight and is perfect for line checks and fed rides. The training department can use these segments to knock out events quickly. On a line check youíll have a check airman on the jumpseat, a captain in the left seat, and another captain riding in the back for the flight back to base where he/she will be getting a line check.

If a new IOE instructor is being checked out, then youíll have a captain riding the jumpseat who is watching the instructor who is also a captain sitting in the right seat, who is giving an IOE checkout to another captain in the left seat.

Pedro4President
09-05-2019, 11:15 AM
1. ^^^^ what he said.
2. They/He/She could be commuting and not even working.
3. Deadheading.

In my opinion we arenít short on CAs. I think this is the first time we have been appropriately staffed. Some would argue other wise but all agree we arenít over staffed with CAs.

JustAsking
09-05-2019, 12:34 PM
I think this is the first time we have been appropriately staffed. Some would argue other wise but all agree we arenít over staffed with CAs.How long is reserve for Captains? I keep reading FO reserve is over 12 months at some locations, so if anything Envoy would be over staffed.

pitchattitude
09-05-2019, 01:02 PM
How long is reserve for Captains? I keep reading FO reserve is over 12 months at some locations, so if anything Envoy would be over staffed.
There are SO many answers to that question. Depends on location, airframe and seniority.

Cyio
09-05-2019, 01:10 PM
We are understaffed on captains. Critical coverage for the entire month in ord, hefty new hire bonus for those that can upgrade quick. Canít drop anything and almost always bottom in on reserves.

Pedro4President
09-05-2019, 01:44 PM
We are understaffed on captains. Critical coverage for the entire month in ord, hefty new hire bonus for those that can upgrade quick. Canít drop anything and almost always bottom in on reserves.

Yeah I wouldnít call that short on CAs. When we start talking about frequent JMs and flights canceling due to crews then Iíd say we are short on CAs. But really itís all semantics. We can call it what we like but we just have just seen different ranges of over and under staffed. I can remember 0 time lines and the company getting so short they tried to JM a guy into a three day trip and only call it 1 JM event.

Cyio
09-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Yeah I wouldnít call that short on CAs. When we start talking about frequent JMs and flights canceling due to crews then Iíd say we are short on CAs. But really itís all semantics. We can call it what we like but we just have just seen different ranges of over and under staffed. I can remember 0 time lines and the company getting so short they tried to JM a guy into a three day trip and only call it 1 JM event.

Yeah I suppose you are right in that regards, we haven't had to JM often yet. Lets agree we are not heavy on captains yet.

tsimmns927
09-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Another question for you fine folks. I always hear youíll miss birthday, holidays, events. What I understand is I get missing holidays, but for birthdays or anniversaries wouldnít if you wanted to be off you could technically just call in one day a year even if youíre bumped from the time off you put in or is this not how airlines work where you can just call in sick?

tsimmns927
09-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Also, for you pilots that fly for Envoy, thanks for keeping me safe on my many flights from SPS to DFW every month and even on the DFW to MEM leg I fly every so often.

CLE to IAH
09-06-2019, 04:23 AM
Another question for you fine folks. I always hear youíll miss birthday, holidays, events. What I understand is I get missing holidays, but for birthdays or anniversaries wouldnít if you wanted to be off you could technically just call in one day a year even if youíre bumped from the time off you put in or is this not how airlines work where you can just call in sick?

Nah man. You get holidays and personal events if you want. You just have to ask. You can even have weekends off. Itís really a simple schedule. All they ask in return in that you put in 20 years first.

Easy peasy! :-)

buddies8
09-06-2019, 06:08 AM
Trolling...

tsimmns927
09-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Nah man. You get holidays and personal events if you want. You just have to ask. You can even have weekends off. Itís really a simple schedule. All they ask in return in that you put in 20 years first.

Easy peasy! :-)

I mean I figure itís not that easy. But I would just assume hey, if you really needed one day off a year that was important you just call in sick right? Iím not talking holidays as I get holidays youíll be working. But say your kids birthday is the one even you ever want to miss, why not just call in sick? Like I said not a pilot, and havenít even started any type of training so really know nothing other than what I read here, but does what Iím saying never occur?

NoValueAviator
09-06-2019, 07:26 AM
Envoy is hyper focused on perceived ďsick call abuseĒ

That said I think it is still done and in my experience average joe pilot is unlikely to have issues unless he comes to managements attention in some way (union activity, social media posts, TCAS RA etc)

Cyio
09-06-2019, 10:49 AM
People call in sick for all kinds of reasons. Some legit, some perhaps not. Donít abuse the system and you would be fine. Call in sick on your birthday and you will probably garner the attention of managment.

If you are sick, call in, if not do so at your own risk and if you get busted the company is in their right to punish you.

buddies8
09-06-2019, 11:16 AM
P.s. dont whine about it after.

tsimmns927
09-06-2019, 11:43 AM
People call in sick for all kinds of reasons. Some legit, some perhaps not. Donít abuse the system and you would be fine. Call in sick on your birthday and you will probably garner the attention of managment.

If you are sick, call in, if not do so at your own risk and if you get busted the company is in their right to punish you.

What happens if you call in sick out of domicile? Are you sent back to domicile or just made to stay where you are?

dera
09-06-2019, 11:49 AM
What happens if you call in sick out of domicile? Are you sent back to domicile or just made to stay where you are?

You stay there until you are feeling better, then they will deadhead you home or back to your trip.

Pedro4President
09-06-2019, 04:50 PM
I mean I figure itís not that easy. But I would just assume hey, if you really needed one day off a year that was important you just call in sick right? Iím not talking holidays as I get holidays youíll be working. But say your kids birthday is the one even you ever want to miss, why not just call in sick? Like I said not a pilot, and havenít even started any type of training so really know nothing other than what I read here, but does what Iím saying never occur?

If you need a day off then you have to go through the CPO and request a Personal Emergency or Personal ďOtherĒ PE/PO. (Sick kid, parent, house gets hit by a tornado or any number of reasons) Birthday isnít a reason. If you call in sick every year on your birthday and post pictures to FB then you are going to get in trouble for abuse.

buddies8
09-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Well after all the discussion on this thread, if I was a new hire I would no be calling in sick. Not like mgt does not visit here

tsimmns927
09-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Well after all the discussion on this thread, if I was a new hire I would no be calling in sick. Not like mgt does not visit here

Not a new hire, heck donít even have any hours. Just curious how the industry works in general regarding calling in sick etc compared to a corporate job that allows you vacation time you can put in for and not get bumped off of.

imthecaptainnow
09-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Not a new hire, heck donít even have any hours. Just curious how the industry works in general regarding calling in sick etc compared to a corporate job that allows you vacation time you can put in for and not get bumped off of.

What are you saying? Some corporate company that you may have heard about will take your vacation away from you after you've already planned it?

NoValueAviator
09-08-2019, 04:15 AM
The whole atmosphere here is different. In the corporate world you are on the same team as your employer. Your success is their success. Here you are the enemy, and if you feel like a winner it means the company gave up too much on the latest LOA.

Cyio
09-08-2019, 05:01 AM
The whole atmosphere here is different. In the corporate world you are on the same team as your employer. Your success is their success. Here you are the enemy, and if you feel like a winner it means the company gave up too much on the latest LOA.
Sad but depressingly true.

Varsity
09-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Envoy is the most hostile work environment in the airline business.

dera
09-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Envoy is the most hostile work environment in the airline business.

Lol. Go read Atlas threads.