Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Dental work in Mexico

Naviator
09-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Anybody ever have dental work done on an overnight in Mexico?

Thought?
Experiences?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Cyio
09-09-2019, 02:10 PM

Thought?
Experiences?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Wow, what a great idea that never even crossed my mind. Interested to see if anyone has any information.

dvtpilot
09-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Thereís a legit place in Nogales.

Nogales dental laser

highfarfast
09-09-2019, 02:17 PM
I've never really thought about it for an overnight, but have thought about going to Mex for dental work in general. I have no idea about how to go about it though. This thread might be good. :)

BigZ
09-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Havenít done it, but there is an extensive thread on the AA Nonrev Fb group. Looks like it works fine

Erxs
09-09-2019, 04:55 PM
I had a FA go to a dentist in the mall next to the QRO hotel and he said it was fantastic, after that Iíve heard several other FAs saying theyíve done dental work at the same place.

captive apple
09-09-2019, 05:11 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/fy5fSQvz/Screen-Shot-2019-09-09-at-9-04-07-PM.png

Molar City Mexico.
They all want your business.
Watch a few Youtube videos on it, depending on your needs they will suggest a hotel for the duration.

TransWorld
09-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Knew a guy a few years ago. Down on his luck. Lost half his teeth. Got a decent steady job, but dental benefits too little to fix everything. He went to Cancun for 3 weeks. Got a dozen implants. A fraction of the cost in the US. He was pleased.

arizatonya
09-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Knew a guy a few years ago. Down on his luck. Lost half his teeth. Got a decent steady job, but dental benefits too little to fix everything. He went to Cancun for 3 weeks. Got a dozen implants. A fraction of the cost in the US. He was pleased.
Yes there are few places in Cancun doing dental work, it is way cheaper than US obviously and they did apparently good job with my instructor few years back, he was happy. I can get the address if anybody interested.

pitchattitude
09-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Yes there are few places in Cancun doing dental work, it is way cheaper than US obviously and they did apparently good job with my instructor few years back, he was happy. I can get the address if anybody interested.
I havenít heard about on the dental side specifically, but I just read an article about insurance companies actually PAYING for people to travel to Mexico for surgeries. Often times it is still US doctors still doing the work.

CrowneVic
09-16-2019, 06:10 AM
I havenít heard about on the dental side specifically, but I just read an article about insurance companies actually PAYING for people to travel to Mexico for surgeries. Often times it is still US doctors still doing the work.

No direct experience in the area, but always worth calling your insurance company and asking about it, or at least about reimbursements.

A lot of the docs in Mexico are schooled and trained in the US. Many even have US board certifications, have done residencies and fellowships in the US, etc.

And itís not just Mexico. Medical tourism is huge. People go to Canada, as well as other Latin American countries.

I know someone who went to Germany for a back surgery, as the procedure was quite advanced and not being done by anyone in the US. It was very successful.

Unfortunately, the US is not always the leader in medicine. Between the FDA and other entities, revolutionary treatments that are available in other countries never see the light of day here. Surgeons donít make money unless they perform surgeries, drugs donít get approvals, etc. A whole other subject.

But back to Mexican docs; they are typically pros at what they do and quite competent. Just do your due diligence.

Naviator
09-17-2019, 04:54 AM
And itís not just Mexico. Medical tourism is huge. People go to Canada, as well as other Latin American countries.

Yeah, I donít think people got to Canada for medical treatments. Their care is tightly controlled by the government and rationed out. People wait months for simple diagnostic procedures and years for operations. Some have even died waiting for life saving treatments. Drugs are cheaper, but Canadians that want stuff done quickly come to the US because we still have a somewhat free market in medicine.

CrowneVic
09-17-2019, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I donít think people got to Canada for medical treatments. Their care is tightly controlled by the government and rationed out. People wait months for simple diagnostic procedures and years for operations. Some have even died waiting for life saving treatments. Drugs are cheaper, but Canadians that want stuff done quickly come to the US because we still have a somewhat free market in medicine.

Right, but wrong. Youíre talking about the socialized aspect, and are correct in your analysis about that.

However, cash clients are always welcome at the front of the line, and there are a lot of docs in Canada who cater to them and offer specialized and boutique care.

Same in other socialized-medicine nations, like...wait for it....just about everywhere else in the world. Yep, the same countries where people go for medical tourism.

trip
09-17-2019, 06:26 AM
Had family members go to Algondonas with no problems. A crown will be less then your insurance deductible.

klondike
09-23-2019, 05:37 AM

Thought?
Experiences?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Indeed Sir.
I went to Laser Tech Dental in Nogales, Sonora, MX. To have a tooth pulled in early 2018.
It was a good experience. The dentist that performed the procedure did a good job. I had no complications.

The dentist was an American, actually, who commuted everyday to Mexico to work in the office there.

I paid $125 for something that would have cost $1000 in the states.

Cyio
09-23-2019, 05:48 AM
Indeed Sir.
I went to Laser Tech Dental in Nogales, Sonora, MX. To have a tooth pulled in early 2018.
It was a good experience. The dentist that performed the procedure did a good job. I had no complications.

The dentist was an American, actually, who commuted everyday to Mexico to work in the office there.

I paid $125 for something that would have cost $1000 in the states.

Did you use insurance or just pay cash?

Chato
09-23-2019, 06:00 AM
I have gotten dental work done in MTY; however you need to know who you are going with.

I went to a dentist who said I had 5 cavities and needed to get them done ASAP. Mind you I was only in there for teeth whitening from a Groupon I bought ( yes theres Groupon in Mex) then I found a real good dentist who i go with every time, he said some cavities are small and you end up doing more damage than good by drillin into them, just as long as they don't hurt to leave them alone. So I felt I could trust the guy. I ended up doing braces on a family member and even an impacted molar extraction with no issues whatsoever. All out of pocket.

You just need to make sure you know who you are going with.

klondike
09-24-2019, 05:02 AM
Did you use insurance or just pay cash?

It was cash only for me Sir.

Thatís not to say your insurance wouldnít work.