Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Looking for a change.

Sextant
09-17-2019, 08:53 AM
Hello,

Recently retired from the military (non-aviation) and am looking for other areas of aviation to explore. Iím currently teaching (CFI) with 700TT, 60ME, CFI/CFII/MEI. Masterís Degree (engineering/non-aviation related).

The teaching job has its perks, but itís just not clicking for me. Iím a person who prefers to do things, and if I see something that needs to be done, Iíd rather do it. One of my previous assignments had a teaching role, so Iíve taught in the past and can relate.

Iím looking at aerial imaging, and 135 SIC (obviously loggable). While Iíd prefer to not have to relocate or have an on/off weekly (or monthly) schedule, I would consider relocation depending on the job. I know 1500 hours opens the gates to the promised land, but Iím not personally in a race to get there.

Any recommendations of other areas I should look?

Thanks!

Shoot First
09-22-2019, 05:47 AM
If you want fast money, then get King Air time and become a contractor. If you're in it for the long haul, then its off to the regionals. You have a clearance right? That's worth a lot of money. Just talking to a guy and he didn't have a clearance and still got hired. Took some time though. Read the MAG/Avenge thread for more info. And good luck whatever you do

Sextant
09-23-2019, 06:48 AM
If you want fast money, then get King Air time and become a contractor. If you're in it for the long haul, then its off to the regionals. You have a clearance right? That's worth a lot of money. Just talking to a guy and he didn't have a clearance and still got hired. Took some time though. Read the MAG/Avenge thread for more info. And good luck whatever you do

Hmmm.. I hadn't considered ISR..

Thanks!

BravoPapa
09-23-2019, 07:52 AM
If you want fast money, then get King Air time and become a contractor.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?