Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Quit FBO for Target?

ZomFBO
10-01-2019, 08:36 PM
I work nights part time at a highly rated FBO, while training for instrument and commercial. The responsibility I have doesnít really match up with the pay, and I have never been able to get any good sleep during the day. With Target raising their starting wage to a point that is nearly what I make, the idea of working indoors with a lot less stress and responsibility is really appealing. I just wonder if future employers in the aviation industry, like airlines, will have a negative view of such a job move.

rickair7777
10-01-2019, 09:09 PM
If you don't have a degree yet, they won't care.

If you do have a degree, some majors might think it odd if you're working in retail (non-management). But you can probably explain that you're priority is flight training and you just needed a flexible job.

TiredSoul
10-02-2019, 05:19 AM
You made a job change to improve yourself.
Go for it.

PerfInit
10-02-2019, 05:22 AM
Go for Quality of Life... Can the FBO work you during the day? Have a conversation with your boss before pulling chocks. Target has decent shifts, benefits and management opportunities. They might even have tuition assistance programs if you are pursuing a degree? Being well rested for your flight training is very important.

Powderkeg
10-02-2019, 06:57 AM
I work nights part time at a highly rated FBO, while training for instrument and commercial. The responsibility I have doesnít really match up with the pay, and I have never been able to get any good sleep during the day. With Target raising their starting wage to a point that is nearly what I make, the idea of working indoors with a lot less stress and responsibility is really appealing. I just wonder if future employers in the aviation industry, like airlines, will have a negative view of such a job move.

Donít give it a second thought. By the time you acquire your ratings, flight instruct for a bit, then go to a regional, your resume will be full enough you wonít even list the FBO/Target experience on your app to a major.

sourdough44
10-03-2019, 07:35 AM
Work towards a CFI then head to a pilot mill.

The Reserves or a Guard Unit is an idea too.

TiredSoul
10-03-2019, 08:12 AM
I can only see one advantage of working at the FBO, motivation.
I was self sponsored and it took me years to get my ratings let alone a job flying.
Even though the pay wasnít always best I worked in different capacities at a large airport just to stay close and not loose the final goal out of sight.

PotatoChip
10-05-2019, 07:25 PM
I worked at Target after I graduated a well known aviation university. Jobs were hard to come by flying, and I needed to pay rent. Target was good to me, so I also worked there in another state while I was a CFI.
Now work for a major airline. The Target job was fun, and I don't regret it one bit. Go for it.